IGNORED

Captain Bret Alan Smith Part 5: Still No Trial Update: He Plead Guilty

DaisyD

I’m so glad he finally plead guilty so Katie and her children can try to heal. At least the kids don’t have to worry about seeing him in court, or anywhere, for a long time. Maybe never again.

From personal observation, it seems like it takes a very long time for child molesters/ rapists to go to trial or plead guilty. A former friend’s son, who I babysat many, many times years ago, is charged with molesting his stepdaughters & their friend. It has been over a year and a half and no trial date has been set. He’s sitting in county jail too, with a huge bail amount. It really disgusts me.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, browngrl said:

I wonder how Alan's parents are going to spin this?

In any case I am glad the children will be spared testifying in court 

That was my first thought. I can see them going either of two ways with this.

--Alan pled guilty, even though he isn't, in order to spare the children from having to go to court and repeat stories they have been told to say. Because Alan is innocent. And just such a great son and role model. And innocent.

--Alan did make some "errors in judgement" but has been restored to the Lord because he repented! This whole thing has been blown out of proportion and Alan really shouldn't be in prison. He repented! He is sorry for doing whatever it is that he really didn't actually do, and remember! he is sorry! 

Really looking forward to reading what The Cap'n has to say.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Letgo said:

Really looking forward to reading what The Cap'n has to say.

If Cap'n Bret had the brains God gave a cranberry, the good Cap'n would STFU and say nothing. That goes double for his wife, the loathsome Jackie.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

When they say 2 counts, is that 2 children or 2 different counts for same child.  I only loosely follow this because it's too disturbing.  As far as I can tell Alan the rapist was caught red handed raping a child he was related to, yes?  If one is actually caught doing this, as opposed to a child bravely telling someone, it's pretty cut and dry, right?  

• Upvote 4

Legal Eagles: does this plea bargain with the State of Georgia resolve the pending charges against Alan in the two counties where he faced them -- Colquitt & Turner, IIRC?

54 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

When they say 2 counts, is that 2 children or 2 different counts for same child.  I only loosely follow this because it's too disturbing.  As far as I can tell Alan the rapist was caught red handed raping a child he was related to, yes?  If one is actually caught doing this, as opposed to a child bravely telling someone, it's pretty cut and dry, right?  

They have (appropriately ) kept very quiet on the details. Many of us assumed that he was caught considering their malignant patriarchal culture. 

The rest of the first post above cut off, but it's something about protecting him from those that speak ill against him. 

Edited by JMO
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, JMO said:

They have (appropriately ) kept very quiet on the details. Many of us assumed that he was caught considering their malignant patriarchal culture. 

Yes, agreed.  I'm so glad it's being kept private.  Sometimes our laws piss me off.  Being caught red handed seems cut and dry to me. IDK how the law deals with vs. a child telling where investigating needs to be done.  We all know it must be bad considering Katie did divorce him stat and many family is backing her.  Fundies seem to rarely do that, like you said, due to malignant patriarchal views.  It's so good for the child that they have support, not Gothard style victim blaming.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

I have been laying low in the online world but I noticed Bret & Jacquie's "God is Great" posts a day or so ago...I figured something happened. Seeing that he pled guilty, I don't know what the hell kind of spin the Smith's are putting on it. But, knowing them, it's all about their special favor from their god. What. The. Fuck. Ever. 

He pled. He will pay a price. Hopefully, those he harmed can now heal and go on to live healthy lives. 

I find it vomit inducing what Michael said - about Katie & the kids enduring him for years. What the hell had been going on that WAS known about, before his deviance came out? What was overlooked in the name of the patriarchy and the fabricated greatness that was Breat Alan Smith (both Jr. & Sr.). On second thought, I don't think I want to know. I think I will choose to believe he only meant what everyone learned of after the pedophile was caught. 

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

51 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I have been laying low in the online world but I noticed Bret & Jacquie's "God is Great" posts a day or so ago...I figured something happened. Seeing that he pled guilty, I don't know what the hell kind of spin the Smith's are putting on it. But, knowing them, it's all about their special favor from their god. What. The. Fuck. Ever. 

He pled. He will pay a price. Hopefully, those he harmed can now heal and go on to live healthy lives. 

I find it vomit inducing what Michael said - about Katie & the kids enduring him for years. What the hell had been going on that WAS known about, before his deviance came out? What was overlooked in the name of the patriarchy and the fabricated greatness that was Breat Alan Smith (both Jr. & Sr.). On second thought, I don't think I want to know. I think I will choose to believe he only meant what everyone learned of after the pedophile was caught. 

Katie may have revealed to them after his arrest about how bad it was, that's what I got from it, she probably thought she should play the doting wife and probably didn't say anything. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

From what all I remember as being public, Katie and Alan had an almost homeless existence - starting in a camper trailer and bouncing between the families homes. The kids, especially in comparison to now had a very dirty, unkempt look that implied a certain level of poverty. Everyone seems much happier and better cared for at the compound.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, lexiloumarie said:

From what all I remember as being public, Katie and Alan had an almost homeless existence - starting in a camper trailer and bouncing between the families homes. The kids, especially in comparison to now had a very dirty, unkempt look that implied a certain level of poverty. Everyone seems much happier and better cared for at the compound.

I agree with your assessment. If it weren’t for their parents, they’d have had nothing. As it was,  they had 7 kids in an RV & Alan’s only “jobs” when his in laws gave him work in a construction site or when his father was making some ridiculous movie. The life Katie & the kids lived is disturbing. In that they lived it and in that apparently, no one in their life thought anything wrong with it. 

The Mortons don’t support a child rapist, so they’ve been given credit for reaching that very low, basic humanity 101, bar. They are still the ones that put Katie in that position. They’re still the ones who proclaimed the godliness of every birth. They still watched thier daughter & grandchildren essentially live in poverty and, for all appearances, accepted it without question.  

The only person to blame for the sexual crimes of Alan is Alan. But crimes of humanity, and parenthood, have been committed against Kaie & her children for pretty much their whole lives.

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 24
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 4

Wow wow wow. I've never been one to interact with funnies and I've never really been tempted til now - I really wanted to love that post of Michael morton's! It must be such a relief that it's done. (And I hope it's truly done, no appeals or other open cases we weren't aware of). 

I wonder what's next for them? Before this the OG mortons were in the middle of what seemed like a permanent move to Paraguay with their sons' families. I wonder if they'll resume? Will Katie go with them for a fresh start? 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Just as an FYI for Canadians - the presumption in Canadian courts is that a child will testify outside the courtroom or behind a screen.  If there's a videotaped statement that's presumptively their evidence in chief.  

Not relevant to Bret/Alan but I think it's so important victims understand their rights no matter their country.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Taking Michael's facebook post at face value, it would seem that the Ashburn charges were dropped, and that the additional reported charges of incest and rape were also dropped. This is likely because he accepted the plea, though it's possible that the Ashburn charges will still be handled separately. It will be interesting to see what the terms of the plea are whenever he is sentenced. From a cursory reading of Georgia statutes on sex crimes, it seems likely he will be in prison for at least 10 years, assuming that they count this as his first sexual assault, and the offenses are charged concurrently. (GA code title 16, 16/6/4-b)

I hope for the sake of the community at large that he gets something closer to 20, but truly, anything that keeps him away from Katie and her children, and deprives him and his malignant toad of a father from an opportunity to grandstand in front of a courtroom is a net positive.

Michael's post carried an overt implication of past deviant behavior that was known, and possibly covered up by the Smiths. One of my initial reactions when reading the update on this post was sadness that half the family is in Paraguay at the moment, and unable to celebrate the news all together. But then, I realized that Rachel, Bethany, and Kressant are all together for the first time in years, and that this proof of their brother's depravity may carry special significance for them. I am so, so glad that this monster has been culled from society, even if it's not for the rest of his life.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 4

9 hours ago, Beermeet said:

I suspect that in order to get the plea, a lot of charges were dropped.  The victims don't have to testify, the case can be moved off of the dockets, the defendant can stop paying lawyer fees, unless he/she is already planning on appealing, etc.  But it's my understanding that when the evidence is overwhelming a sex abuse case is best to plead out rather than go to a jury trial.  Jurors are more likely to throw the book at a defendant when confronted with witness testimony, medical reports, and especially visual evidence.

This is why I now suspect that the crimes that were committed were photographed or videotaped.  The kind of evidence that no one could refute unless they refused to look.  It would explain why Alan languished in county lockup for so long before suddenly pleading guilty to lesser charges.  True, the victim/s don't have to testify now, but I don't think that's why he pled out.  I think he held out for the best deal:  lesser charges and less time in jail.

As for how many victims there were and how many times he abused, the charges rarely reflect what really happened.  Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to explain it, but a child could be raped 20 times and the rapist only charged for one or two rapes.  A rapist could rape 20 kids and only be charged for raping one or two.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

...But then, I realized that Rachel, Bethany, and Kressant are all together for the first time in years, and that this proof of their brother's depravity may carry special significance for them.

Wait, has Bethany and her family also moved to Paraguay?

About Michael's post... He seems like a decent human being, starting the fundraiser for Katie and obviously deeply caring for her and her children. At least on FB, he's not afraid to speak out. 

One can only hope the Mortons (all of them, the seniors and all the kids with their families) will change their opinions on courtship, betrothal, (extreme) patriarchy, and marriage after what has happened, but that remains to be seen. I don't have high hopes for them.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

What I've been wondering, when reading this and the Willis thread, is what the FJers who told us that not only were these men probably innocent (despite being arrested and the majority of their adult families acting like they were guilty) but we were also all terrible people if we didn't give the men the benefit of the doubt, are feeling.

Those conversations made me SO angry - the FJers who either didn't see that by assuming the men were innocent, they were also assuming the victims were liars, and everyone supporting them untrustworthy etc or who actively believed it; the FJers who were bringing things into the conversation like "well, some small children are coached to tell lies" in the Willis case, where the victims were obviously adult/young adults from the timeline; and so on.  Those people never seem to come back and say "I was wrong".

(I know that the courts operate on "innocent until proven guilty", but that's a specific legal issue)

• Upvote 2
  • Love 9

I'm worried that the godisgreat posts mean he got some sort of sweetheart deal and will be able to rape again a few years from now

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 6

Bethany is just visiting Paraguay with Adeline. I agree it may well be the Smith sister's togetherness over their brother being punished for his depravity. They grew up in a world where Alan was worshiped as though he is their god incarnate. 

The Smith girls were nothing more or less than chattel. We talk of Katie's marriage to Alan being manipulated by the daddies, but the older Smith girls were in the same boat. They did not grow up able to think for themselves or express opinions or to question the behaviors of them males in their world. They were raised to bow to those with a penis, no matter what and at their own expense.

Bret & Jacquie Smith created a twisted world for thier children; one where up was down and left was right. The older girls "lucked out" in marrying the Morton boys - and no doubt getting to Paraguay and away from the insane perfect godliness of the patriarchs of both families. They appear to truly love their spouses and lives. Too bad Katie wasn't as fortunate. They got out while she was forced in. 

I'm sure that charges being dropped encourages the Smith's "god is great" narrative. He pled to lesser/fewer charges, THAT proves he didn't do what he's charged with, dontchaknow. And look, god has proven it! They will always be twisted and manipulative and so full of themselves, they'll never be of any worth to anyone. I feel incredibly sad for the children still in their care; especially the adults who are still there and treated as children. 

Edited by Jellybean
Removed speculation about victims of abuse
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

In his FB post, Michael says "victims." Meaning more than one. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I truly believe Katie Morton is one strong woman. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to have been in the position she unwittingly found herself in. Yet, she did what she needed to do and she protected her children. The pain of this entire situation is unfathomable. I know people who are far more educated and far less religiously indoctrinated who would not have done what she did.

Many people, far too many, protect the abuser or deny the abuse rather than do what she did. She ripped apart her entire existence to protect her kids. She and her children deserve peace and safety.  

She should change her and the children's names to Morton and completely sever any link to the Smith family who still support or contact Alan. 

While I feel badly for Kressant, Rachel and Bethany, I also think they will find their lives much, much better for having severed that link as well. 

• Upvote 18
  • Love 2

I wonder if Alan had victims, from before he got married. Given that we know that most offenders aren’t caught the first time, it makes me deeply sad to think there may have been others who had no voice. At least he’ll be locked away for awhile, hopefully a long while.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

When will Alan be sentenced? Will Katie, or anyone else, be allowed to make a victim's impact statement? I'm hoping he is locked up for a good long while. Can he be prevented from having any future contact with his children? And any and all other children when he is released? Does the state of Georgia consider this and include it in sentencing?

I sure hope all the Smith kids are adults before he gets out of prison and goes home to his parents. He isn't going to have any other place to go.

• Upvote 6

On 08/04/2018 at 8:39 PM, Mudgie said:

In his FB post, Michael says "victims." Meaning more than one. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I truly believe Katie Morton is one strong woman. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to have been in the position she unwittingly found herself in. Yet, she did what she needed to do and she protected her children. The pain of this entire situation is unfathomable. I know people who are far more educated and far less religiously indoctrinated who would not have done what she did.

Many people, far too many, protect the abuser or deny the abuse rather than do what she did. She ripped apart her entire existence to protect her kids. She and her children deserve peace and safety.  

She should change her and the children's names to Morton and completely sever any link to the Smith family who still support or contact Alan. 

While I feel badly for Kressant, Rachel and Bethany, I also think they will find their lives much, much better for having severed that link as well. 

Agreed on all point, the way her and her family handled it was remarkable, especially for a fundie family. They reported Alan and never made any excuses for him. 

Alan's parents did the total opposite they chose to defend Alan at the expense of some of their children and their grandchildren. They don't deserve any access to their grandchildren and I agree Katie should change their names to Morton.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Agreed on all point, the way her and her family handled it was remarkable, especially for a fundie family. They reported Alan and never made any excuses for him. 

Alan's parents did the total opposite they chose to defend Alan at the expense of some of their children and their grandchildren. They don't deserve any access to their grandchildren and I agree Katie should change their names to Morton.

Another vote for severing all ties to the Smiths, and changing Katie's and the children's last names to Morton.

The loathsome Cap'n and revolting Mrs Cap'n have demonstrated their unfitness as parents by their piss poor parenting of the Golden Oldest Son and their disgusting defense of the indefensible along with their clearly demonstrated lack of caring for any family members not named Alan. I pity the children still at home. Those poor kids deserve parents who have a functional moral compass.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1