IGNORED

Do you want Counting On to be cancelled...

Edhelfin

On 3/7/2018 at 7:44 AM, Million Children For Jesus said:

This thread makes me want to advocate against children in reality TV. I don’t have the time or the resources, but I can’t just sit here and type about it, while doing nothing. Where to start? Any leads for me? 

We will never get children off Reality TV altogether.  Children have always worked.  Parents have always had the right to make them work, and to take the money they earn.   The question is how much we can keep minors safe and keep exploitation to a minimum.

The only thing we can do is try to do is make sure they have some protections in the workplace and that they are compensated for their work.  Child labor laws protect working children however children working in Entertainment and on Reality TV are not protected by Federal Child Labor Laws.  Only a few states have enacted Coogan-type laws that try to ensure education, adequate supervision and safety, and compensation.  A mere 15% of the gross goes into a trust fund for children in those states.  Children working on Reality TV in states like Arkansas and Tennessee have no protections at all.

You can boycott shows that you think exploit children.  You can check into Child Labor Laws in your state (or country) and lobby legislators locally and at the Federal level on the issue.  You can learn more about it in general.

A good advocacy group is A Minor Consideration.  https://www.facebook.com/minorcon

An article from Paul Petersen before he retired.  http://aminorconsideration.org/taking-on-tlc/  Paul never minces his words [my bolding]:

Each child deserves a separate contract, Court-Approved, and mandatory education and financial guarantees. The entire chain of producers must be held personally responsible to see that the terms of engagement are observed…up to and including criminal penalties for failure to observe the Custom and Practice of the industry.

It remains a sad reality that there are more rules for animals in entertainment than for kids who are in entertainment.

And of course Counting On and BUB should be cancelled.  Quite aside from exploiting the minor children both shows do their best to make Extreme Fundamentalism look squeaky clean and "normal."

Josh's molestations were a minor aberration, after all.  And these families don't support Mr. Gothard any more.  Oh, no sir!  They never really did.  Honest!  Cross their lying little hearts.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Palimpsest Thank you for those links. A Minor Consideration is very familiar.  I think I came across it when I was new here, but couldn’t find it again through a Google search. I’m not sure though. I don’t think it was a reality TV rabbit hole, it might have been a Corey Feldman/pedophiles in entertainment rabbit hole. It may or may not have been an FJ influenced rabbit hole. I live in an area saturated by the entertainment industry, so maybe it is familiar from passing conversation. So many rabbit holes. I have learned and then forgotten a tremendous amount of information through FJ. It can get overwhelming, and with a busy, stressful life, my retention isn’t what it used to be.

I am not sure TLC wants them completely gone. If the Duggars and Bates are off tv for ever, the non disclosure agreements end. Then someone writes a tell all book and brings the whole ugly mess into public view. Discovery Networks does not want that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2018 at 7:32 PM, SamuraiKatz said:

I am not sure TLC wants them completely gone. If the Duggars and Bates are off tv for ever, the non disclosure agreements end. Then someone writes a tell all book and brings the whole ugly mess into public view. Discovery Networks does not want that.

They need to be exposed! I'm sure there are so many skeletons in Jimbo's and Gil's closets Narnia is now flooded. It's only a matter of time until the whole truth comes out.

I want TLC to be the goddamn learning channel again (TGLC?). We have Trading Spaces back, but give me Exhibit A: The Secrets of Forensic Science, Mostly True: Urban Legends Revealed, and keep Who Do You Think You Are and Long Lost Family. And they had so many specials about living with a certain condition and some that did feature kids (there was one about twins that comes to mind), but nothing to the extent of the TLC shows now. 

I LOVED TLC in the early 2000s when I came home from school. The shows were interesting and I can say that I did learn a lot. They were just saying on the Trading Spaces reunion that so many young kids became interior designers because of the show. We live in the age of Pinterest, I think people would dig more crafty shows as opposed to “look at me look at me!” I think a show about people making their own Pinterest crafts for a wedding/shower/event/whatever would take off. But it’s just “look at my wedding!” “Look at my dress!” “Look at my bigger godlier family you heathen swine!” 

also, I’m in my late 20s. My friends are getting married, getting established in their careers, and punching out babies. I’d rather watch them do it. 

10 minutes ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

I want TLC to be the goddamn learning channel again (TGLC?). We have Trading Spaces back, but give me Exhibit A: The Secrets of Forensic Science, Mostly True: Urban Legends Revealed, and keep Who Do You Think You Are and Long Lost Family. And they had so many specials about living with a certain condition and some that did feature kids (there was one about twins that comes to mind), but nothing to the extent of the TLC shows now. 

I LOVED TLC in the early 2000s when I came home from school. The shows were interesting and I can say that I did learn a lot. They were just saying on the Trading Spaces reunion that so many young kids became interior designers because of the show. We live in the age of Pinterest, I think people would dig more crafty shows as opposed to “look at me look at me!” I think a show about people making their own Pinterest crafts for a wedding/shower/event/whatever would take off. But it’s just “look at my wedding!” “Look at my dress!” “Look at my bigger godlier family you heathen swine!” 

also, I’m in my late 20s. My friends are getting married, getting established in their careers, and punching out babies. I’d rather watch them do it. 

I used to love watching a wedding and baby stories. they should bring those back for sure. 

On 4/7/2018 at 1:25 AM, JillRodsEyeliner said:

I'm sure there are so many skeletons in Jimbo's and Gil's closets Narnia is now flooded.

Ok, I lol'd at this one.  But seriously, while the networks probably don't want the truth out about these "wholesome, Christian" men, it would be a good thing for the truth to come out.  At the very least, their shows would end and along with it the exploitation of their families.  There's nothing noble about putting your family out there on reality TV.  

5 hours ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

They were just saying on the Trading Spaces reunion that so many young kids became interior designers because of the show.

Wait, there was a Trading Spaces reunion? I ditched cable long ago and rarely miss it, but I really wish I could have seen that!

4 minutes ago, scribble said:

Wait, there was a Trading Spaces reunion? I ditched cable long ago and rarely miss it, but I really wish I could have seen that!

the reunion is locked but it looks like you can watch the first new trading spaces episode on TLC.com it's unlocked right now. 

@scribble yeah! Most of the old designers are back for the reboot! I’m excited since HGTV houses are all starting to look the same. Kind of like the Duggar storylines, but more resale value

13 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I like the Travel Channel!

I like Andrew Zimmern. 

1 hour ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

@scribble yeah! Most of the old designers are back for the reboot! I’m excited since HGTV houses are all starting to look the same. Kind of like the Duggar storylines, but more resale value

I loved the original Trading Spaces and am enjoying the reboot. But Hilde...I would not let her anywhere near my house. She gave not one damn about livability and was completely selfish in her artistic expression. She would get a beat down from me, my home is too important for her type of nonsense. I enjoy watching but would never agree to be one of the homeowners, I just don't have the temperament and am very particular about decor.

36 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I like Andrew Zimmern. 

I loved the original Trading Spaces and am enjoying the reboot. But Hilde...I would not let her anywhere near my house. She gave not one damn about livability and was completely selfish in her artistic expression. She would get a beat down from me, my home is too important for her type of nonsense. I enjoy watching but would never agree to be one of the homeowners, I just don't have the temperament and am very particular about decor.

Wasn't she the one with the vendetta against ceiling fans? I lived in Arizona at the time, and all I could think of was that my first reaction would be, "Where are my fans?" They helped save on air conditioning costs.

@SilverBeach @Audrey2 I fell asleep before the first reboot episode rooms were revealed, but I didn’t have high hopes when I saw Doug and Hilde were on board... 

I’ll give credit where credit’s due, whomever decorated the Duggar home did a great job (and scared the men, lol). I’d rather have their house (minus the people) than some of the designs Doug and Hilde came up with

I'm not going to lie, I found 19 Kids and Counting actually pretty interesting. It was definitely a novel idea to me- how do you take care of a family when you have 19 children? I got sucked into watching because I was just wondering how they did it, and so many episodes of 19KAC showed just how different the Duggars are from the rest of us. I feel like Counting On does its best to sugarcoat and hide the Duggars and how different they really are. So if they were going to keep having a television show, I'd prefer it to be more like 19 Kids and less like the snoozefest that Counting On is.

Archived