IGNORED

Joy & Austin 20: Baby Gideon is Here

Jellybean

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Really!

I was admitted Sunday night, had my daughter (vaginal birth) Monday morning, and I was discharged Wednesday afternoon. My sister was admitted very late Wednesday night, had her son very early Thursday afternoon, and was discharged on Saturday. So the two night stay for Mom appears to be the norm at my hospital as well. 

48 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

Alright, for those of us just joining the party, I've surmised that we don't know whether birth was vaginal or C-Sec, and that while Joy ended up somewhere with a hospital bed and IV drip, we don't know whether she attempted a home birth or not? Is all of that accurate?

Gideon is easily my favorite Duggar grandchild name yet. The only other Gideon I've ever known in real life was very attractive and intelligent, so that may be influencing my view.

(Please forgive my egregious leghumping) :pb_lol:

We believe that a homebirth was planned because Joy mentioned needing to fill the birthing pool on a video uploaded to TLC. That said, we have no clue if they attempted it or if she needed to be transferred or if they decided to just head to a hospital/birth center instead. 

6 minutes ago, kachuu said:

I hear they treat you like a princess during labor & birth but then after the royalty treatment goes out the door.

I look forward to my own experience in 3 months. I'm terrified.

Definitely not my experience. Every single Nurse and Doctor we met in Labor & Delivery, Recovery, and NICU was completely amazing. We even brought cards and trays of really good cookies by for my Recovery Nurses and the NICU Nurses the day our daughter was discharged because we were so grateful for the care we received from them. I absolutely don’t doubt that others have had poor or terrible experiences, but it’s not a given that it’ll happen to you. 

That said, it’s best to be prepared. My best recommendations would be:

1. To try your best to be a good and friendly patient. It’s normal to be scared and worried and exhausted during and after labor, but try to at least say please and thank you to the medical staff. I know a few Nurses and they all have mentioned how grateful they are to be treated with civility and kindness by their patients. 

2. Appoint someone (like a Doula or your partner/spouse) to be your advocate should you need it. This person should be ready and willing to call out any shitty behavior directed your way, so you can focus your energy on getting baby out.

Others who have had bad experiences may be able to offer you better advice on how to handle specific situations, but that’s my best advice. :) 

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished my birthing classes last week and at the hospital I'm planning on delivering at, for a standard birth, no complications, it's 1 to 2 nights for a vaginal birth and 3 nights for a c-section.  My plan is to stay at the hospital until the last possible second and they literally kick me out.  I want as much help as I can get and I want to be able to observe the nurses and ask questions.  I'm a first time mom, an only child, the first of my friends to have children, and I've never spent much time around children.  I think I'm in for a huge learning curve!  

So if Joy had a c-section, it's possible she stayed 3 nights and she came home Monday morning and was available to take pictures.  I also get the impression that doctors will release you early if you want to go home, so it's possible she had a c-section and just choose to go home early.  I don't see any indication one way or the other about what type of birth she had yet, but you guys are much better at reading hospital room environments that I am!!  :) 

1 minute ago, Melbelle said:

I just finished my birthing classes last week and at the hospital I'm planning on delivering at, for a standard birth, no complications, it's 1 to 2 nights for a vaginal birth and 3 nights for a c-section.  My plan is to stay at the hospital until the last possible second and they literally kick me out.  I want as much help as I can get and I want to be able to observe the nurses and ask questions.  I'm a first time mom, an only child, the first of my friends to have children, and I've never spent much time around children.  I think I'm in for a huge learning curve!  

So if Joy had a c-section, it's possible she stayed 3 nights and she came home Monday morning and was available to take pictures.  I also get the impression that doctors will release you early if you want to go home, so it's possible she had a c-section and just choose to go home early.  I don't see any indication one way or the other about what type of birth she had yet, but you guys are much better at reading hospital room environments that I am!!  :) 

This was me on my first!! We stayed 2 nights after she was born (for these reasons), but for number 2, he was born at 10 am in the a.m., we left by then the next day (obviously, everything went well and he was healthy)

55 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

? Just had a vag birth and nothing about this picture screams c section to me. I did notice she is sitting cross legged on the bed- would that be comfortable if she just had a section? 

I agree, and have to think Pickles has never given birth (she's pretty young, isn't she?) if she's freaking out about how Joy and the baby look.

In pictures of me in the days after giving birth, I look like I gained 20 lbs all in the face and 10 yrs aged - I had a vaginal birth where I ended up pushing for 8 hours to get my big-headed 8lbs 2oz baby out. At about the 4-5 hour mark I got an epidural to take a break before I started pushing again. I ended up having a huge internal and external tear with lots of stitches. My husband thought I was bleeding out, the doctor said it was a normal amount of blood. My son's birth was not otherwise problematic.

Part of the reason you look like that after a birth, vaginal or c-section:

- For the epidural or other anesthesia they have to pump you up with fluids, so you look super puffy afterwards.

- In my hours of pushing I was using every muscle in my body including my face (imagine the face you make taking the biggest shit of your life, that sums it up), I was pushing so hard through my cheeks the blood vessels burst. I had to ice my face for several days after.

- Labor is exhausting, mine was 20 hours. Women do labor for upwards of 24/30 hours, it's exhausting but natural so it shouldn't be assumed that a long labor is necessarily a dangerous one, as Pickles seems to be implying.

- It's emotional! Imagine how puffy you look after crying and add the pain and exhaustion and extra fluids and there you go, you look like shit.

Different hospitals and different insurance plans have different policies on how long you can stay. At our hospital we had Kaiser Permanente which let you out sooner than non-Kaiser plans (1 vs 2 days vaginal, 2 vs 3 days c-section). It can also depend for a boy if you're getting them circumcised at the hospital. If Joy gave birth Friday she could likely go home Monday. I didn't want to leave til after lunchtime on my final day, I wanted one last free meal!

32 minutes ago, ladybug15 said:

Someone in Europe can correct me if I am wrong, but various types of sparkling water can have different mineral content. A lot of times if they take it from some local spring its heavy on magnesium or other minerals and taste differently. They also can have various degree of carbonation - so some are heavier on carbonation and others are barely carbonated. 

Correct. It‘s usually 3 degrees of carbonation being classified on water bottles with most brands in germany: classic sparkling, medium / soft sparkling and non-sparkling. Classic sparkling waters can still vary in carbonation by brand though. One very popular brand even introduced a forth degree a few years ago.

Classic sparkling can be a bit much, I used to drink that as a kid but don‘t like it anymore. Switched to medium. 

ETA: Now that I have a Soda Stream I can actually control the carbonation myself. Love it. 

1 hour ago, Chocolatecheesecake said:

Ok, I just watched the little clip of their honeymoon... common! How can anybody be this confused by sparkling water? Joy's face!? How can she be this disgusted by sparkling water, it's not like she never had a carbonated drink before! "What did we get?" "Just carbonated water" "are you sure?" "Oh man, when you expect regular water and you get this, it's a let down". What the fuck Joy? And Austin... Swiss with a German accent? Usually I'm pretty understanding for people not knowing everything about different cultures, we all have stuff left to learn, but for God's sake, lear which language they speak in the country you "always dreamed of traveling to". 

Considering they have a soda fountain dispenser in the Duggar home her reaction really surprised me. 

Anytime I've taken a drink of something expecting one thing and got a big drink of something that wasn't what I expected I have a similar reaction. Some people also really don't like sparkling water (I personally love it). If I was expecting tepid and got bubbles or vice versa, I'd probably make a face. 

14 minutes ago, freethemall said:

I agree, and have to think Pickles has never given birth (she's pretty young, isn't she?) if she's freaking out about how Joy and the baby look.

In pictures of me in the days after giving birth, I look like I gained 20 lbs all in the face and 10 yrs aged - I had a vaginal birth where I ended up pushing for 8 hours to get my big-headed 8lbs 2oz baby out. At about the 4-5 hour mark I got an epidural to take a break before I started pushing again. I ended up having a huge internal and external tear with lots of stitches. My husband thought I was bleeding out, the doctor said it was a normal amount of blood. My son's birth was not otherwise problematic.

WHAT! THE! ACTUAL! FUCK! They let you push for 8 HOURS? I will never EVER again complain about my 4 hours of pushing, I thought it was beyond asinine for them to let me go that long. I looked and felt like I'd been hit by a mack truck. My I broke blood vessels in my eyes and my cheeks, my face was swollen and puffy, my hands were numb (I couldn't even feed myself for 2 days they were so weak from squeezing hands and bed rails for so long).  I pushed for 4 hours with everything I had and he never engaged in my pelvis, he was sunny side up and had a 15 inch head, That was NOT coming out, #2's head was bigger by 1/4 of an inch. People ask why I had c/sections. I just look at their heads, UMMM MMMM, not out of my vag!

40 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

From @LimeKitty on the previous thread:

Oh, okay then. Because you (and she) have determined she has been through so much, she can hop onto the internet and tell everyone how things should be. Got it. 

Why yes, yes I can. When I know people who are looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills they will NEVER be able to pay off, when I see so-called "pro-lifers" being absolute shitheads over universal health care, I CAN say whatever the fuck I please about the shitty systems in place in 'Merikka...your fucking right I can. 

Now...take your attitude and shove it up your ass. 

You still here? Thought you were packing up and heading to Cuba. :pb_lol:

9 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

Considering they have a soda fountain dispenser in the Duggar home her reaction really surprised me. 

As a hillbilly American, the 1st time I had sparkling water in 1986 I nearly gagged, it tasted weird and we weren't expecting fizz, a friend brought back from France and thought it would be funny to have us try her "French water".

I wonder if Joy thought she was maybe getting something alcoholic to drink. She looked, and sounded, pretty worried that she was getting something besides water as she knows it. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I thought this was Canadian sperm

Canadian sperm would be wearing plaid flannel and denim.

I remember Bin saying something awhile back about how he wants to have a football team of sons. Merge all the grandduggar boys and we're almost there. Gideon could be their leading lineman.

I suspect Joy endangered her baby's life by attempting to have him at home and she bled out. 

I tend to think "Pickles says" = grain of salt, myself. And "bled out" sounds like Joy died, which is obviously not the case. 

Ok, I just watched the little clip of their honeymoon... common! How can anybody be this confused by sparkling water? Joy's face!? How can she be this disgusted by sparkling water, it's not like she never had a carbonated drink before! "What did we get?" "Just carbonated water" "are you sure?" "Oh man, when you expect regular water and you get this, it's a let down". What the fuck Joy? And Austin... Swiss with a German accent? Usually I'm pretty understanding for people not knowing everything about different cultures, we all have stuff left to learn, but for God's sake, lear which language they speak in the country you "always dreamed of traveling to". 

I'm going to cut Joy slack on this one... I never had sparkling water growing up, and the first time I was served it in Europe I also thought it was gross (this was like 30 years ago when La Croix wasn't the biggest thing out there and we hadn't yet figured out that soda was as bad for you as it is).  I was so used to fizzy drinks being sweet.  Now I drink sparkling water all the time but it was an acquired taste.

Not to totally sway the present topic, but my spirit animal Chrissy Teigen gloriously trolled People's post. See below.

IMG_4294.PNG

I simply must hump Joy’s leg for a moment. I loathe carbonated anything, especially water (even champagne, sadly) so if I was served a glass of what I expected to be nice, still, ice water, I’d be let down in a major way. I mean, unless you make carbonated water ice cubes you can’t even keep it cold!  Plus you have to pay for it!  That stuff is horrid and I will forever defend Joy’s right to be disgusted. :leghumper:

On 2018-02-18 at 8:19 AM, SweetJuly said:

My husband (Belgian) and I (Israeli and German) had decided that we would wear our wedding rings on the left hand.

Fast forward to our wedding ceremony.

My husband put the ring on my left ring finger. I, for a reason I cannot fully comprehend but it may have been nerves, put the ring on his right ring finger.

He decided that this is where I put the ring, so this is where it needs to stay :my_biggrin:

We therefore wear our rings on different hands (I on my left, he on his right).

I know we’re way past this but a baby was born so the thread moved fast! We also wear our rings on different hands. I on the left that is the norm here and my husband on the right. His left finger just got skinnier and the ring kept falling off. :)

On 2018-02-26 at 4:48 PM, SorenaJ said:

Ah another Duggar grandson. That's 9 to 2 now. Interesting.. Gideon is such an awesome name despite the fact that the only one I know is a cocaine addict.  

But poor boy being born into that family. Free Gideon! 

That's a myth, but is partially incorrect. Sperm does not have a memory. Here you can see a study on it: http://www.ingender.com/Gender-info/Odds-of-having-another-boy-or-girl.aspx 

I can’t believe we’ve gone this long after his birth and no one has suggested they should have spelt it Jideon to honor the spelling skills of her parents. :pb_lol:

Welcome to the world little one! Hope your parents get some sense and stay far away from blanket training and just love you instead!

KnittingOwl: Congratulations on your daugther! She shares her birthday with Miniway so I’m sure she’ll turn out amazing!

Can't say I like sparkling water, but will drink it if it's the only water on hand.

Honestly, I just drink a lot of chilled / filtered tap water every day. I really like water.

49 minutes ago, LimeKitty said:

You still here? Thought you were packing up and heading to Cuba. :pb_lol:

Why don't you do me a favor and take your bullshit elsewhere. Kiss my Cuban ass bitch. 

Now, in the interest of not totally blowing my cool...LimeKitty (newbie false patriot bitch) is going on ignore

32 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I remember Bin saying something awhile back about how he wants to have a football team of sons. Merge all the grandduggar boys and we're almost there. Gideon could be their leading lineman.

Not necessarily. My brother was 10 lbs 5 oz, then was one of the smallest guys in his 7-9 or 10 class. He's now 5'10" and medium build. As I remember, he was a small tight end (I don't think he was a wide receiver), but never would have been a regular (center, guard, tackle) lineman.

I apologize in advance if I’ve missed it but someone asked in the last thread and I  didn’t see it answered. Does anyone know the religious reasons (if they are indeed religious) that fundies usually advocate home birth?

They don’t as far as I know. There are plenty of fundies who go for hospital delivery’s such as Michelle herself And some who just hate hospitals on Principle such a Kim Coghlan. I personally think it had more to with not having a hospital bill in many cases. 

I don't think there are religious reasons behind home birthing... not that I have come across anyway. Michelle had 2 homebirths I think and she said she liked some aspects of it like being encouraged to move and walk around before and to get into different birthing positions instead of just delivering on your back. She has said that she was able to incorporate some of these things into hospital births when home birthing was not an option and she found that beneficial.

I think the money saving aspect of it is appealing to fundies and it also feeds into the "old timey" aesthetic they like.

2 hours ago, ladybug15 said:

Someone in Europe can correct me if I am wrong, but various types of sparkling water can have different mineral content. A lot of times if they take it from some local spring its heavy on magnesium or other minerals and taste differently. They also can have various degree of carbonation - so some are heavier on carbonation and others are barely carbonated. In contrast, the seltzer (sparkling water) in USA has no taste whatsoever,

{SNIP}

Yeah, European sparkling mineral water can have a really strong and specific taste. Personally I like it now, but I remember finding it quite... challenging...? as a kid on holiday.

It really might not have tasted much like anything Joy was used to, plus getting a mouthful of anything that turns out to be different than what you were expecting can be quite weird! Even just sparkling water is a shock when your sense were all prepped for it to be still. I give her a pass on that one.

I imagine it is in part because having home births supports their theory that this is how it is supposed to be.  If child birth is something women are just able to do, no problem, then it make sense that G-d would give you a tun of kids.  Its what women were made for after all.  If it is a medical problem then there is an argument that its not the purpose of women, or that G-d doesn't want it to be all they do.  I think by having home births they are showing the world that they are right and that women should have a tun of kids, its not a disability, its not a medical problem, its not a big deal, its what is supposed to happen.  

Similarly, if pregnancy and birth are natural and what should happen abortion is worse.  You killed someone to avoid something that you don't even need a doctor for.  Its so selfish because giving birth isn't a big deal.  And so on.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived