IGNORED

Dillards 51: Making Play Look Complicated

Jellybean

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Jill, you're not Spanish. Stop pretending. 

Exactly.

She is so cringey, I had to come out of my break from posting to say something!!!! UGHGHGHGHGHHG JILLLLLLLLLITO stop!!!!

I feel like this might be partially to: appear different than her siblings, because let's face it, in that family and growing up with a zillion siblings make differences/individuality are few and far between and have to be fought for, and/or if she is still clinging onto the "dream" of missionary life as she wished that it was, not the horrible nightmare that it turned out to be. It is likely she will now romanticize Spanish language and culture from now on..... *sigh*

38 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Why on earth would Jill call herself 'tia'? She's not Spanish. They're not Spanish. I get it, you did some pretend missionary work in a Spanish-speaking country for a few months, but come on now.

Jill and Derick are unusually adept at making themselves seem like enormous assholes. Somehow they manage to come across as incredibly unpleasant, arrogant, obnoxious, competitive, miserable, and desperate all at once with very little effort.

I read it as Joy is the favourite aunt. Given that Israel was brought up with some Spanish maybe that's what he calls her?

its certainly self aggrandising to refer to yourself as the favourite anything without prompting, but hey, it's Jill so anyone's possible.

My sister calls herself Tia when talking to my son.  Tia is easier for a baby to say.  (My son is going to be bilingual, but my sister is not).  I don't know, maybe they speak Spanish at home or are trying to have bilingual kids (its not that uncommon) and so it makes sense?

More like favorite abuela. 

She should have gone 100% and said favorite in Spanish. 

I agree it's rediculous. You would think with their skewered ideas they would be pushing all the Spanish speaking people around them to speak (to quote South Park: "No, in God's language.") English. 

58 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Why on earth would Jill call herself 'tia'? She's not Spanish. They're not Spanish. I get it, you did some pretend missionary work in a Spanish-speaking country for a few months, but come on now.

Jill and Derick are unusually adept at making themselves seem like enormous assholes. Somehow they manage to come across as incredibly unpleasant, arrogant, obnoxious, competitive, miserable, and desperate all at once with very little effort.

I just made this exact same post in Joy's thread hahaha!

But I agree, it is very annoying that Jill would call herself Tia

16 minutes ago, Dugg@rTime said:

I read it as Joy is the favourite aunt. Given that Israel was brought up with some Spanish maybe that's what he calls her?

its certainly self aggrandising to refer to yourself as the favourite anything without prompting, but hey, it's Jill so anyone's possible.

Oh, you could totally be right. Seems almost as bad, though. I get that Joy was Jill's buddy, but I think I'd feel kind of hurt if I were one of Izzy and Sam's other aunts.

14 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Oh, you could totally be right. Seems almost as bad, though. I get that Joy was Jill's buddy, but I think I'd feel kind of hurt if I were one of Izzy and Sam's other aunts.

I felt bad for the other sisters//aunts when I read it as Jill is the favorite of a 4 day old. Izzy is old enough to have a favorite aunt by now. Kids can have favorites, it's not the same as saying oh such and such is my favorite nephew. 

2 minutes ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

I felt bad for the other sisters//aunts when I read it as Jill is the favorite of a 4 day old. Izzy is old enough to have a favorite aunt by now. Kids can have favorites, it's not the same as saying oh such and such is my favorite nephew. 

Of course kids can have favourites, but it's not Izzy or Sam calling Joy their favourite, it's Jill. I don't think it's a huge deal - like I said, Joy was Jill's buddy, and they all know that - but it still does strike me as somewhat unnecessarily 'in your face'. Could just be my interpretation, though, coloured by my observations of Jill's character and behaviour over the years.

I see it as normal teasing, not seriously stating that a newborn baby has a favorite aunt. I've heard a lot of people make those kinds of comments, not just Jill!

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Of course kids can have favourites, but it's not Izzy or Sam calling Joy their favourite, it's Jill. I don't think it's a huge deal - like I said, Joy was Jill's buddy, and they all know that - but it still does strike me as somewhat unnecessarily 'in your face'. Could just be my interpretation, though, coloured by my observations of Jill's character and behaviour over the years.

What I mean is that Izzy is old enough for Jill to know who is favorite is. Even if he can't say it, he can show it. I still think she's saying she is Gideon's favorite, which is annoying as all get out. 

2 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I see it as normal teasing, not seriously stating that a newborn baby has a favorite aunt. I've heard a lot of people make those kinds of comments, not just Jill!

And I find whoever to do that to be annoying. Whether it be Jill or my very own cousin. 

2 minutes ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

What I mean is that Izzy is old enough for Jill to know who is favorite is. Even if he can't say it, he can show it. I still think she's saying she is Gideon's favorite, which is annoying as all get out.

I knew what you meant, I'm just saying that even if Joy is Izzy's favourite, it's Jill who's choosing to boast about that fact to millions of people on social media. :) But I 100% admit that I could be guilty of BEC here because so much of what Jill does and says rubs me the wrong way.

27 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Now this is probably a joke. With my siblings and our nieces and nephews we are always saying I'm the favorite Aunt/Uncle it is meant as light hearted joking.

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I knew what you meant, I'm just saying that even if Joy is Izzy's favourite, it's Jill who's choosing to boast about that fact to millions of people on social media. :) But I 100% admit that I could be guilty of BEC here because so much of what Jill does and says rubs me the wrong way.

Ah, okay. I think she's boasting she herself is the favorite. Saying Joy is her kids favorite would be really out of place, but I guess we never know with her. 

I highly doubt the Dullards are raising their kids to be bilingual, they're not bilingual themselves. She is likely only doing it because it makes her look more worldly. Like she got something out of her pretend mission. Like someone said up thread, it's just self aggrandizing. 

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I highly doubt the Dullards are raising their kids to be bilingual, they're not bilingual themselves. She is likely only doing it because it makes her look more worldly. Like she got something out of her pretend mission. Like someone said up thread, it's just self aggrandizing. 

I'm sure they're raising their kids to be "bilingual" just like they themselves are "bilingual" and Jill is a "midwife" and Jana is a "concert pianist". :my_rolleyes:

Just now, HarleyQuinn said:

My guess is that she regularly uses a few Spanish words in her normal accent all the time to seem more worldly or above others. Jill in 2032: "Hola, chica! Remember that time I lived in Central America with my gringo baby?" 

Hi Jilly Muffin,

"Tía" has an accent mark in the "i". Also, your spanish sucks.

That is all.

:pb_lol:

Many families with multiple grandparents alive often use a variation of grandma/grandpa in another language that reflects some part of their family heritage (or if a family has lived overseas somewhere, where they lived) like Oma/Opa, etc.

Maybe given the Duggars are obviously a family where each kid is going to have like 40 aunts/uncles once the original Duggar kids get married, she's wanting to not be "Aunt Jill" and be just "Tia" instead?

Plus, last we saw they were still using "Papi" for Derick with Israel, obviously also using the Spanish word instead of an English variation of dad/daddy/etc.

My mother does the 'favorite daughter, favorite son' thing. The difference there, though, is that she has just one son and just one daughter. :pb_lol:

10 minutes ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

My guess is that she regularly uses a few Spanish words in her normal accent all the time to seem more worldly or above others. Jill in 2032: "Hola, chica! Remember that time I lived in Central America with my gringo baby?" 

"AY CARAMBA! Oh sorry, I lived in Central America as a missionary and sometimes the Spanish just slips out!!!!"

4 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

My mother does the 'favorite daughter, favorite son' thing. The difference there, though, is that she has just one son and just one daughter. :pb_lol:

We do that all the time. My dad sends me e-mails beginning with "Hello favorite daughter" and ending with "Your favorite father." I call my brother "favorite brother" and he calls me "favorite sister" all the time. But yeah... it's just the two of us. My family would never do it if we had another brother and/or sister. As it is, I like it. :)

Jill's #favoritetia, I just find that ridiculous. Jill, you can barely string a single Spanish sentence together. Also, Gideon has 9 other aunts. You're not that special. :P

7 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

"AY CARAMBA! Oh sorry, I lived in Central America as a missionary and sometimes the Spanish just slips out!!!!"

At first I thought you were just watching The Simpsons too much!

Of all the stupid things Jill does, I think she's just teasing by calling herself the favorite Aunt.I have a shit ton of sisters (compared to normal people, not Jill) and we always declare ourselves the "favorite Aunt" to fuck with each other (though usually not on social media)

Cultural appropriation for the "tia" thing. Except her misunderstanding of the meaning of the word tia. WE all know she meant Abuela.

OK. I know. off to the prayer closet.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived