IGNORED

Which fundie change surprised you the most?

JermajestyDuggar

As an addition,  I would love to see post-mortem interviews with Peter and Kelly, their thoughts on growing up VF, the hoopla surrounding their wedding, living the VF life (for a while), where it broke down, and how they see the way forward for themselves and their children.  

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

3# I forget the whole story but the mother wrote a blog, in part, about her daughter Autumn who she allowed to get married stupidly young and then had a change of heart when it turned out terribly.  

IIRC, the parents were into the Daddy-centered courtship, SAHD thing, married Autumn off at 16 to a somewhat older guy who turned out to be extremely abusive. When Autumn told them what was happening, they welcomed her back & helped her get the marriage terminated. The mother actually posted statements of regret & apology for what the roles they, the adults, had played in the mess.

The best part, IMO, is that all of the family clearly took a long, hard look at what they'd been doing and walked away from much of it. Autumn was/is completing a university degree, her siblings are pursuing whatever goals they have, the parents are supportive of their kids, not controlling. Think they still remain conservative Xtian but it's a good ending from a dreadfully bad mistake.

5 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

The best part, IMO, is that all of the family clearly took a long, hard look at what they'd been doing and walked away from much of it

What makes me sad is that they are allowed to make mistakes, but it's their child who suffered for them to realise it.  That's what makes me so damn angry about converts - it's fine to change one's own beliefs, but it's utterly shitty to get caught up in something where the biggest impact is on other people (& I know, the average Fundy convert doesn't see their children as "people", but as possessions to use in their own agendas)

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

IIRC, the parents were into the Daddy-centered courtship, SAHD thing, married Autumn off at 16 to a somewhat older guy who turned out to be extremely abusive. When Autumn told them what was happening, they welcomed her back & helped her get the marriage terminated. The mother actually posted statements of regret & apology for what the roles they, the adults, had played in the mess.

The best part, IMO, is that all of the family clearly took a long, hard look at what they'd been doing and walked away from much of it. Autumn was/is completing a university degree, her siblings are pursuing whatever goals they have, the parents are supportive of their kids, not controlling. Think they still remain conservative Xtian but it's a good ending from a dreadfully bad mistake.

I read that blog, and I'm not surprised that things turned out so badly in Autumn's marriage. She was just too young and probably very sheltered and her parents were either extremely clueless or just wanted to get her "safely married off" before she did something their church would have considered bad. I'm glad she's doing so well, and it seems like the other two (2?) kids are out of that life as well as the parents. But I get the feeling that she and her parents are not all that close now, which is understandable.

On 3/2/2018 at 8:16 AM, Four is Enough said:

I'm not so sure. The almighty image dictates that they "act" perfect even if they're not. So to Pray Away the Gay camp      they would go, I think. They're never going to admit that one of theirs strayed away from total heterosexuality.

I agree! It's the response they had to Josh's infidelity/prostitute cheating, which is a pretty serious offense. I think they would do the same with a gay child. 

I don't think they would just throw their kid out and disown them, they would never give up that level of control over their kids sin. Just let them go out into the world making their own decisions? Especially bad ones? No way. They would send them to be fixed, then keep them as close as possible so they couldn't actually act on it. And I doubt they would let it leak to the public if at all possible. 

I'm positive the Andersons would toss out and shun a gay child without a second thought. Unless it's Bo. Then Zoo would feel a little guilty about it. They might be the only fundies I'm 100% positive would completely cut off a gay child. 

Has anyone mentioned Rebecca11!!11eleventy yet? She's applied for a CNA program, gotten a drivers license, helps her family raise the boy they're officially fostering, watches fantasy movies, writes fan fiction and so on. I don't think they've become un-fundie, but the family always seemed like they were genuinely walking the walk, instead of just talking the talk. I don't remember Rebecca ever speaking disrespectfully about anything or anyone and -despite being fundie- I had a soft spot for her and hoped she'd find her way. 

20 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Has anyone mentioned Rebecca11!!11eleventy yet? She's applied for a CNA program, gotten a drivers license, helps her family raise the boy they're officially fostering, watches fantasy movies, writes fan fiction and so on. I don't think they've become un-fundie, but the family always seemed like they were genuinely walking the walk, instead of just talking the talk. I don't remember Rebecca ever speaking disrespectfully about anything or anyone and -despite being fundie- I had a soft spot for her and hoped she'd find her way. 

I like her too. I'm disappointed she hasn't written about attending Chelsy's wedding. Maybe she's doing it out of respect for Chelsy's privacy. I think she's actually very pretty but she dresses fundie so that's what people notice. Not how naturally pretty she is. 

45 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I like her too. I'm disappointed she hasn't written about attending Chelsy's wedding. Maybe she's doing it out of respect for Chelsy's privacy. I think she's actually very pretty but she dresses fundie so that's what people notice. Not how naturally pretty she is. 

I randomly decided to read this thread and didn't have a clue who you were talking about so thank you for allowing me to find her blog hahah

48 minutes ago, thinandfit said:

I randomly decided to read this thread and didn't have a clue who you were talking about so thank you for allowing me to find her blog hahah

Her blog is titled "his way serves"

On 02/03/2018 at 4:32 AM, luv2laugh said:

Sorry to be late to the game but can someone fill me in on what happened with Bradrick and how we know he wanted out?

There are at least two threads about the Bradrick! divorce, so I’m afraid there isn’t a simple answer to that question, but here is the start of the first thread and you can wade through!

Rebecca is usually several months behind real time on her posting so I wouldn't be surprised if she gets around to posting about the wedding eventually.  I'm happy she seems to be finding her way, she seems like a gentle soul.

@luv2laugh I had the same question as you and waded through the threads. Here is what I understand: Kelly Brown and Peter Bradrick were VF fundie royalty, and their wedding was this huge affair with tons of attendants, patriarchy/submission, the whole 9 yards, the wedding was even billed as of the marriage of Christ to the Church, seriously. Kelly was a blonde, thin, pure-as-the-driven snow bride in a princess dress. Then they had 6 kids in 7 years. Kelly had serious birth complications at least once when Peter took Kelly galavanting around Israel(???? I think) ridiculously soon postpartum and she hemorrhaged and needed immediate medical attention...and then they had two kids right after that. Kelly gained a lot of weight and looked very "frumpy" compared to how she looked 7 years previously (which is not a judgment on her appearance but generally did not look happy). THEN there was a gap in kids. Then it was announced that Peter? filed for divorce. Kelly got sole custody of the kids and Peter had only limited supervised visitation. Later documents seemed to suggest that Peter had an affair, and the wording of the document said something like "neither girlfriend or boyfriend of Peter can be present" for supervision. Because Peter Bradrick and Doug Phillips seemed very into each other in the way only a fundie king and prince with wide stances and smirks together can seem, many people took this to mean that Bradrick cheated on Kelly with a man. But we don't really know. 

If something is glaringly wrong, more experienced FJers, please let me know. VF was sadly before my time on FJ. 

Warning: If someone posts a picture of Doug's insanely wide stance at the altar of the Brown/Bradrick wedding I might hyperventilate. I can't look at that picture without laughing myself ill.

Peter and Dougie:

douandpeter.jpg

Hyperventilation warning!

Spoiler

08a36f4264f082b9d1a4a55de4195f10bea58a39_r.jpg

(This is not the Brown/Bradrick wedding - Blair Brown and Taylor Tsantles - but it is The Wide Stance TM)

Ahhhhh, DPIARBT’s wide stance, or, as I like to call it, airing out his balls.

(My phone now autocompletes DPIARBT as soon as I type DP!)

At the time of his wedding, IIRC Tyler Tsantles is 17 years old; his bride is a few years older (maybe 4?).  As far as I know, they are still together, but I don't know how many kids they have now.  I remarked in a previous thread that Tyler looks incredibly PALE and like's he's hoping he won't throw up.  My take was that he and his bride kissed or held hands, and therefore had to be rushed into marriage, lest premarital sex happen. Screenshot 2018-03-07 at 5.49.21 AM.png

Then there's that picture of Kelly on the back porch of her single wide, pregnant, with a child on her hip with other children about on a drippy Pacific Northwest day

This is Kelly Bradrick (on her wedding day with Peter BRADRICK! in this photo) in case any of you need a reminder for Michelle Williams comparison purposes:

Spoiler

A1C6E88D-9A47-4184-9B67-0EFE7B160B5E.jpeg.52cbe1b3dc9bd10ae2a66afb679b1883.jpeg

@Howl - is this the one you mean?

Spoiler

9E595B95-2AE4-4410-9456-F1CDBA32780F.jpeg.6205f8a21a1e2b1940335b487561761a.jpeg

(both photos from http://ingridgraceandaudrey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/portrait-of-lady.html?m=1)

No matter how many times I see the classic wide stance photo, it never fails to make me laugh out loud. Truly absurd.

Happened to check Scott Brown's website today & there's a recent family photo posted:

R_Screen-Shot-2018-02-26-at-9_02.32-AM.thumb.jpg.72bb38a2ae79206b046f147217b6a322.jpg(1) Has this been photoshopped?

(2) Aren't there some grandchildren missing?

19 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Happened to check Scott Brown's website today & there's a recent family photo posted:

R_Screen-Shot-2018-02-26-at-9_02.32-AM.thumb.jpg.72bb38a2ae79206b046f147217b6a322.jpg(1) Has this been photoshopped?

(2) Aren't there some grandchildren missing?

That doesn't look recent. Kelly's kids are older than that.

That doesn't look recent. Kelly's kids are older than that.

Yes, the photo seems “off”.

FWIW, the photo is labelled "Screen-Shot-2018-02-26-at-9.02.32-AM".

Maybe that's an old family picture and they edited Bradrick out? If he was behind Kelly all the way to the left, it wouldn't be hard.

Archived