IGNORED

Seewalds 31: Jessa’s Maybe-Baby

Jellybean

33 minutes ago, Informedresistance said:

I think she's waiting to annouce so as not to steal the spotlight from her sisters.  Jessa's been there and done that twice and so I can't see her being in a rush to annouce the third time around.  

Maybe she'll pull a Kylie Jenner and announce after the birth

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if she is pregnant she will wait till the end of this season of Counting On to announce, that way you have Joy's baby to start the season (providing that Joy give birth on or a few days after her due date) and another pregnancy to close out the season 

I think Jessa's pregnant, don't think Jill is despite the prenatals, a ton of women take them anyway.

The reddit post does seem pretty realistic, but at the same time, it may be a load of shit. But I think she is anyway. The congrats video with the baggy shirt and belly touching, the pic with Henry, the fact that her youngest is a year...those Duggars don't stay unpregnant for long...

3 hours ago, Informedresistance said:

I think she's waiting to annouce so as not to steal the spotlight from her sisters.  Jessa's been there and done that twice and so I can't see her being in a rush to annouce the third time around.  

Unless it's twins!

And with Henry she did wait to announce until she was 100 days pregnant, which is around 3 months.

But Henry being 1 year old now she could be far more along than that. I'm guessing 5 months pregnant at that point and even giving birth before Jinger will.

Jessa’s friend Kristen took this photo in Zambia. Am I overreacting or is this photo borderline racist? It feels madly inappropriate.

214B4699-A519-45BF-BB70-C379782DDC6B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Seculardaisy said:

Am I overreacting or is this photo borderline racist?

If the mask had been blue or red or white or yellow, would you still feel it was racist?

Yes, I think you're overreacting, or possibly looking for something to take offense at. JMO.

1 hour ago, Seculardaisy said:

Jessa’s friend Kristen took this photo in Zambia. Am I overreacting or is this photo borderline racist? It feels madly inappropriate.

She's just taking a silly picture. IMO anyways. I mean does she have any respect for the culture, we have no clue. But this picture isn't proof of anything either way I don't think.

52 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

If the mask had been blue or red or white or yellow, would you still feel it was racist?

Yes, I think you're overreacting, or possibly looking for something to take offense at. JMO.

It depends. It seems to be a mask representive of Zambian culture. A “tribal mask.” I would be worried about mocking somebody’s culture, but clearly I’m in the minority. That’s why I asked.

12 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

It depends. It seems to be a mask representive of Zambian culture. A “tribal mask.” I would be worried about mocking somebody’s culture, but clearly I’m in the minority. That’s why I asked.

I agree with you. It's pretty telling that she and whoever took this photo saw nothing wrong with it. I personally agree that it's culturally insensitive, at least bordering on racist, and at the very least she's making herself look like your typical ignorant, obnoxious westerner who travels to the scary land of Africa to help the poor Zambians find God, take some Facebook profile pictures with brown children, and pull some crap like this for good measure. Yeah, forgive me if I'm not impressed.

I don't think it's racist necessarily (I've seen lots of similar pictures from people imitating European art), but it does seem culturally insensitive in this case and just overall not a good look.

I may be the only one, but I don't think Jessa is pregnant.  If she was in the video how far along would she be?  I think she would have announced by now.  It often takes longer after a second kid because your so much more busy.  Also I just don't see it in the photos.  If she is, she isn't very far along.

Now she will announce soon just to prove me wrong. 

I think you are overreacting. I don't see anything racist about this picture at all. She is just goofing around and imitating a mask, I have seen tons of people imitating european statues. We don't know if the mask is a sacred religious symbol, in which case it is a bit insensitive, or if it is a random mask for decoration at a restaurant or something, it which case it is not even insensitive. Obviously real racism is absolutely despicable and should alsways be called out and harshly judged. But I think people are kind of taking away from the severity of the matter, by calling things like this, a girl goofing off without any bad intentions, racist.  

That picture makes me feel icky. It feels like it's touching on something that shouldn't be done. I don't know. It's all very complicated and I think when we try to draw a box around what prejudice is, we confuse ourselves. It's just a line that I myself wouldn't be comfortable crossing. 

If the mask had been on someone who was demonstrating a cultural thing, such as a dance, I would say imitating it was possibly racist. At the very least, it would have been insensitive. However, used as a decorative item, as it is here, who hasn't imitated the stuff on the walls of a museum or place like this? Meh. A pass this time.

I think there's a difference between being a privileged white person and imitating a statue at a museum in a western country, vs. being a privileged white person and imitating what appears to be a piece of cultural artwork in an African country that was colonized by white invaders.

I am uncomfortable with that photo as well. It is culturally insensitive to poke fun at or be goofy with the decor in a country you are visiting as a privileged person. I don't know if it is racist, but it is definitely rude and inappropriate (especially if it is in a public space - want to be goofy in the hotel room, different story). 

2 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

I may be the only one, but I don't think Jessa is pregnant.  If she was in the video how far along would she be?  I think she would have announced by now.  It often takes longer after a second kid because your so much more busy.  Also I just don't see it in the photos.  If she is, she isn't very far along.

Now she will announce soon just to prove me wrong. 

You're not the only one, mate. I also am not yet convinced she's pregnant. 

She may be, of course. I mean, it's what they do, after all.  But when I look at that "Congrats Jinger" video and see the telltale signs (oversized tunic, awkward positioning of Ben's hand on her belly), I think it could just as easily be that she's trying to get people thinking she might be pregnant, just to keep 'em talking. 

I don't know. Could go either way. But, until there's proof, all I can say is #PeeSticksOrItAintForRealz

47 minutes ago, treehugger said:

want to be goofy in the hotel room, different story. 

Except that it's also a public posting online, so...

I think that the picture indicates a lack of respect for the culture at best, and unconscious racism (or more) at worst. 

Imagine: You're an over-privileged white woman with enough time and money to "minister" to those in "less fortunate" countries -- and let's be honest, she came to minister to the less fortunate, in her mind. That's how these programs are advertised.  There is an implicit hierarchy, and this girl is far from the bottom. She is there to help.

But instead she'd like to make fun of art from the culture she's supposed to respect by imitating masks -- not to blow off steam privately, but to post online for everyone, including future missionaries and volunteers, to see.

Her white skin marks her as the descendant of colonizers, because whether or not her own family was there, white people across the globe have profited off stealing Africa's wealth (including but not limited to diamonds, salt, gold, iron, cobalt, uranium,copper, bauxite, silver, petroleum and cocoa beans, woods and tropical fruits). Even WWI and WWII relied on rubber from the Congo* for the Western world to win.  Africa, as a continent, has incomparable resources.  It's been the interference of the Western world (primarily white folks, but the Chinese are fucking around there too, now) that has left too many impoverished. It's wasn't a lack of Christ that led to these problems.

Maybe she's there to help, but she's bringing her history with her.  We all are, in our own ways, so showing some cultural sensitivity seems the very least we could ask.

If she's a volunteer for Christ, shouldn't her mission be sacred? Shouldn't she show respect for those she seeks to help? Shouldn't she be polite? Shouldn't she emulate some of Christ's humility?

She's probably like a lot of white people -- she'd probably never try to do anything explicitly racist (speculative, as I don't know her), but she's likely full of microaggressions. This act itself I'd classify as a microaggression.  She's in a previously colonized country and descended from the colonizers (broadly speaking). She's deliberately poking fun at the art of the culture. She's posting it online for the world to see her in a scary, weird part of Africa (even if Zambia is chill) where they have strange masks that are good for laughing at. Boy, do they sure have a lot to learn from her! /s

*Read King Leopold's Ghost, by Adam Hoshchild, for more information.

ETA: I also like this article, which discusses how a white church reacted to a couple adopting two Black children. LOTS of subtle, awkward racism comes out at the most inopportune times, like at church or when on a mission: https://splinternews.com/after-i-adopted-two-black-babies-i-realized-my-church-1819912747

@amandaaries absolutely! Sorry I didn't make myself clearer in the post. The picture is absolutely offensive, no matter where it was taken, because of it's public nature. When I said "in the hotel room" what I meant was that sometimes when people are traveling they want to goof around and blow off steam and be silly - the place to do that is in a private space, ie hotel room, not in a public space or online. Of course mocking your host culture is inappropriate always and should never be done. 

29 minutes ago, treehugger said:

@amandaaries absolutely! Sorry I didn't make myself clearer in the post. The picture is absolutely offensive, no matter where it was taken, because of it's public nature. When I said "in the hotel room" what I meant was that sometimes when people are traveling they want to goof around and blow off steam and be silly - the place to do that is in a private space, ie hotel room, not in a public space or online. Of course mocking your host culture is inappropriate always and should never be done. 

Gotcha! I used your quote as a jumping off point because I agree -- I do understand what it's like to need to blow off steam. Culture shock is real, even on shorter trips.  I've lived abroad; I get wanting/needing some time to decompress and process.  Sometimes that might look silly or inappropriate, so it's best done in private. Totally understandable.  

But there are so many ways to unwind privately and quietly while continuing to demonstrate respect for the host country. She completely failed, and I have to think that's the result of a deeper issue within her. It takes work to undo unconscious bias, and I don't think she's undertaken any such work.

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived