IGNORED

Ivanka and Jared 2: Tarnished Gold

samurai_sarah

If you have nothing to hide you hide nothing

Also isn't it great to see children in their mother's loving arms? 

• Sad 8

Jared should tweet more racist conspiracy theories, kill more endangered animals and have more miniceleb affairs so he'd be more authentic.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 2

"Ivanka Trump’s China trademarks don’t look or smell good"

Spoiler

Of course, I’m jealous of Ivanka Trump — because any criticism of another woman has to be jealousy, according to the letters I shall receive. In the following order, I want her wardrobe, hair, makeup, private transportation and height ( 5-foot-11) — and all of her trademarks in China.

Confession accomplished, let’s move on to emoluments, as in the constitutional clause forbidding gifts, titles and what-have-you from foreign nations to officeholders and appointees within the executive and legislative branches of government.

President Trump’s elder daughter, Ivanka, who happens to be his close adviser on economic empowerment and entrepreneurship, among other things, also has secured 13 new trademarks in China — right about the same time her father discovered a fresh passion for China’s economic well-being.

That’s right, “Make China Great Again,” no American president has ever said. But recently, Trump apparently was knocked off his golf cart on the path to the ninth hole and had a revelation: He must save ZTE!

ZTE, as you may know, is a gargantuan Chinese telecommunications equipment and systems company that, heretofore, had been considered ground zero for crimes against the United States. It has sold products to Iran and North Korea in defiance of U.S. sanctions law.

You see the dots: tariff tensions with China, the off-again-on-again summit with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un. It’s complicated, if you’re not in the art-of-the-deal business. If you are, this is all part of a Trumpian vision for which he began laying the groundwork in April 2017.

You’ll recall with appropriate layers of gauziness Trump’s most-pleasant dinner with Chinese President Xi Jinping at Mar-a-Lago. The two ate dessert while Syria burned, thanks to Tomahawk strikes Trump had just ordered. It must be a special sort of something for a man like Trump to savor what he later called the “most beautiful piece of chocolate cake that you’ve ever seen” and privately relish the knowledge that your missiles are delivering a fiery hell upon a cruel enemy.

Although Xi gamely said he understood Trump’s decision to bomb Syria given Bashar al-Assad’s gassing of children, one wonders what he later thought about being placed on the stage of Trump’s strange little theater.

To be clear, Ivanka Trump no longer manages her company, which she placed in a family-run trust while she serves in the White House. But she still enjoys profits , and “Ivanka Trump” is expanding during what amounts to a worldwide advertising campaign — at taxpayer expense.

Delayed gratification, hardship though it may be for a Trump, seems hardly a defensible exemption from the emoluments clause, which reads: “No Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them [the United States], shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.” An emolument is defined by Merriam-Webster as “the returns arising from office or employment usually in the form of compensation or perquisites.”

This seems clear enough. Congress is having none of it. Both Republicans and Democrats have expressed varying degrees of outrage, notably Sens. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.) and Marco Rubio (R-Fla.). But others, who represent the unshakable Republican base, would give Ivanka a fiefdom, if that would make her and her daddy happy. Indeed, Ivanka’s company has acquired or has trademarks pending in Saudi Arabia, Mexico, India, Israel, Turkey and the Philippines.

Whatever is going on, it doesn’t look or smell good. Either you’re the president’s daughter, confidante and adviser — or you’re a businesswoman building an international brand. You can’t — and shouldn’t — be both at the same time.

Few in Washington ever doubted Trump’s run for president was a joyride to buff his brand and image. When he won, shocking everyone and himself, Trump must have seen his bloodline’s branding future. Even he must have been surprised, however, at how easily his people accepted the oligarchy he was creating. As brands go, the United States of Trump wasn’t bad. Not bad at all.

• Upvote 4

Princess has fired back at her critics:

• Upvote 4

I'm guessing this means she can't control her dad, so quit asking?  You'd think she wouldn't be so cranky after getting all those trademarks...

• Upvote 5

She's Googling philosophy quotes now? Fuck, well I can Google too and I don't think Marcus Aurelius would be on team Javanka.  Aurelian stoic philosophy is about self restraint, duty, and respect for others. The historian Herodian, said that,  "Alone of the Emperors, he [Marcus Aurelius ] gave proof of his learning not by mere words or knowledge, but by his blameless character and temperate way of life."  So yeah,  sounds just like Ivanka.:pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

If the White House wanted to express disapproval with what Samantha Bee said about Ivanka, that's totally fine, but it's an abuse of power for the White House to try and get her fired. 

I really wish Samantha Bee had chosen her words more carefully. Ivanka definitely deserves criticism, but Bee's word poor choice of words has succeeded in making Ivanka the victim in this situation.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

"Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump made at least $82 million in outside income last year while serving in the White House, filings show"

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, the president’s daughter and son-in-law, brought in at least $82 million in outside income while they served as senior White House advisers last year, according to new financial disclosure forms released Monday afternoon.

Among their income: Ivanka Trump earned $3.9 million from the Trump International Hotel in Washington and more than $2 million from severance from the Trump Organization in 2017, while Kushner reported over $5 million in income from Quail Ridge, a Kushner Cos. apartment complex acquired last year in Plainsboro, N.J.

The filings show how the couple is collecting immense sums from other enterprises while serving in the White House, an extraordinary income flow that ethics experts have warned could create potential conflicts of interests.
This is a developing story. It will be updated.

• Upvote 6

On 6/11/2018 at 6:50 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

I'm sure if all of us took the cushions off of our sofas, we'd find a million or two in loose change. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

(Putting on my super snarky had)

All of that money and Ivanka still can't afford a properly fitting shirt the buttons correctly?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

This is Jared. He will bring peace to the middle east right after he brokers a truce between Trump, CNN and Morning Joe

• Upvote 3

This is Ivanka. She is talking about values she shares with people her daddy is going to imprison and call demeaning names.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

This is Ivanka. She is talking about values she shares with people her daddy is going to imprison and call demeaning names.

Like daddy like daughter she spews blithering nonsense on Twitter.

• I Agree 2

"Jared Kushner’s immigrant grandmother complained of America’s ‘closed doors’"

Spoiler

Way before Jared Kushner became internationally famous by moving into the White House to work for his father-in-law, President Trump, those of us who live in New Jersey knew that his family was an amazing story of immigrant success.

Jared Kushner’s paternal grandparents, Holocaust survivors Joseph and Rae Kushner, came to the United States in 1949 as impoverished Eastern European refugees and begot a family whose office buildings, apartment complexes and philanthropic efforts are important parts of the business and social landscapes in New Jersey and elsewhere.

Yes, there are scandals and feuds besetting parts of the family, and Jared’s father, Charles, racked up some prison time. But the family’s rise from refugees to titans is an example of what can happen when people are admitted into this country, work hard and prosper.

I got curious about the Kushner history after Jared invoked his immigrant forbears in his recent speech at the new U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem. “I keep a photo of them on my desk” in the White House, he said. As a grandson of Jewish Eastern European immigrants myself — my late father and Kushner’s late grandmother even had the same birth name, Slonimsky, but spelled it differently — I was impressed that Kushner remembers his roots and discusses his origins publicly.

But I wondered how — or if — Kushner could reconcile his father-in-law’s “keep ’em out” immigration philosophy with the story of his paternal grandparents, who spent 3½ years in a camp for displaced people in Italy before being admitted to the United States. In a 1982 interview given by the late Rae Kushner to a Holocaust research center, Jared’s grandmother talks about how wrong she felt it was for the United States to let people like her and her husband languish in those camps for years awaiting permission to enter the country.

I was especially taken by this portion: “The day after we got married [in Budapest], we smuggled ourselves over the border into Italy,” Rae Kushner said. “This was our honeymoon. In Italy, we sat in a displaced persons camp. It was like being in the ghetto again. … Nobody wanted to take us in. So for three and a half years, we waited until we finally got a visa to come to the United States.” Later on, she says that, “For the Jews, the doors were closed. We never understood that. Even President Roosevelt kept the doors closed. Why?”

The answer, of course, can be found by looking at some less-than-inspiring U.S. history. The Immigration Act of 1924 set stringent limits on the number of people the country would admit from Poland (where Joseph and Rae Kushner were from) and other Eastern European countries.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt didn’t seek to make exceptions to those rules — perhaps because, in addition to the immigration quotas, there was a nasty outfit called the America First Committee. Its prominent members included Charles Lindbergh, the famous aviator, and its supporters included Father Charles Coughlin, the anti-Semite who gained huge popularity as “the Radio Priest from Royal Oak, Michigan.” The committee tried to keep the United States out of World War II and blamed American Jews for supposedly pushing Roosevelt to have our country enter the hostilities. The committee folded after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941, but its influence lingered.

It all added up to huge impediments for Jewish refugees to enter the United States. I wanted to know how Kushner reconciles his family immigration history with his father-in-law’s immigration policies. I also wanted to find out whether Kushner knew the history of “America First,” which my children, who are members of Kushner’s generation, said they hadn’t heard about until I mentioned it to them recently. So I sent the White House press office an email outlining some of the major elements in this column, asking for comment or a conversation. I never heard back.

Perhaps Kushner opposes large parts of his father-in-law’s immigration program and has been opposing them privately. But it’s also possible that Kushner has no problem reconciling his family history with Trump’s policies. Rae Kushner was an eloquent, plain-spoken critic of U.S. immigration policies. Her grandson Jared’s public silence speaks volumes, too, in its own way.

• Upvote 5

On 6/20/2018 at 2:45 PM, AmazonGrace said:

Like your stepmom, Melania?

• Upvote 2

This is Jared. He has suspicious transactions. I'm sure it's just a coincidence 

• Upvote 9

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic