IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 16: The sins of our fathers

samurai_sarah

I'm from Iowa. I went to college at the University of Iowa. My state is mostly known for corn and nothing but corn. And, we call the game Bags. Cornhole just sounds weird and squicky to me.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/13/2018 at 11:58 AM, manda b said:

We play washers cornhole and hillbilly golf.

We play ( live in SoCal) cornhole with bags or washers.  Fun BBQ game!  

What's hillbilly golf?  

We've broken out Bocci too. Lawn bowling.  Horseshoes is a big one, up there with cornhole.  We'll play anything while having a get together!  We've made up games with a garden hose barrier, wagon, buckets, golf clubs and balls complete withweird rules.  Nothing stops games in my crew.  :D

2 hours ago, Nargus said:

I had no idea what cornhole was when I first heard of it. We called it 'beanbag toss'.

Same.  I thought it was some reference to beevis & butthead

I'm reviving the debate on did Josh know or not know molesting is wrong, and I think I can prove he knew.  Their cult teaches one thing for certain, and that is that all physical contact before marriage is bad unless it's a side-hug or hand-sex post-engagement.  So that would cover little sisters.  So he knew it was wrong, but did it anyway.

9 hours ago, кошка said:

I'm reviving the debate on did Josh know or not know molesting is wrong, and I think I can prove he knew.  Their cult teaches one thing for certain, and that is that all physical contact before marriage is bad unless it's a side-hug or hand-sex post-engagement.  So that would cover little sisters.  So he knew it was wrong, but did it anyway.

If he didn't know the first time with the two older girls, he certainly knew it when he molested the two little ones. I'm quite sure he knew it from the start.

Josh did know that what he was doing was wrong. That's why he confessed to his parents. Then he kept doing it. And they did nothing. Imagine knowing that your teenage son was molesting your other children and just... doing nothing, for months, until it was so out of control that you decided to send him to do some manual labour, figuring that + Jesus would clear it all up. Then you decide it would be an even better idea to put him and his victims and all your other children on a reality TV show. Oh, and you treat your daughters like they're wanton sinners if they front hug their boyfriends. 

Fuck Jim Bob and Michelle.

I don't recall which blog it comes from, but one of the ex-fundie bloggers (on Patheos maybe?) had discussed how in their belief system, all sin is seen as equal. So having sex outside of marriage, being gay, molesting children, being a gambling addict, lying, stealing, etc. are all on the same level of misbehavior. For this reason, Josh's behavior would have been considered no worse than had he been caught having sex with a girl his age (consensually) or being caught masturbating. 
So I would probably say: he knew what he did was wrong. But he probably did not think of it as  "perverted" and "more wrong" than other sexual misbehavior in the way we usually see child molestation and/or pedophilia in mainstream culture. At least that's what Jim Bob and Michelle would need to have told him if they want to be ideologically consistent. 
I also wonder though whether he didn't realize when he was older that what he did was more appalling in most people's eyes than simply masturbating or having sex with someone. 

@Million Children For Jesus You don’t go to a graduation party in Ohio without playing several rounds of cornhole. Except mine because I guess I missed the memo about having your custom cornhole boards decorated with your college of choice or high school activities. But actually, there’s someone in the neighborhood with a pretty cool drama club one. 

Just swing by the Buckeye State in the next few weeks, find a party, say your someone’s neighbor, and have at it. But don’t eat the potato salad because public health 

3 minutes ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

@Million Children For Jesus You don’t go to a graduation party in Ohio without playing several rounds of cornhole. Except mine because I guess I missed the memo about having your custom cornhole boards decorated with your college of choice or high school activities. But actually, there’s someone in the neighborhood with a pretty cool drama club one. 

Just swing by the Buckeye State in the next few weeks, find a party, say your someone’s neighbor, and have at it. But don’t eat the potato salad because public health 

now I have to know what's wrong with Potato salad in Ohio? I'm a little scared to find out the answer though 

@Ivycoveredtower oh, its potato salad everywhere. If you leave it out/in the sun too long you can get food poisoning because the mayo goes funky. 

Moral of the story: picnics, backyard parties, and church potlucks are where the super fun outbreaks happen. But it’s ok because you’re playing cornhole!

@AreYouThereGothard? One of my best friends is from Ohio, and is a huge Buckeyes fan. Somehow, I ended up with several cousins who went to Ohio State, but I’m a Michigan fan. During the Michigan-Ohio game, my friend has to stay home alone to watch it. He says that he gets so crazy, that it’s better to be alone. I tried to tease him about Michigan a few times, and it didn’t go over well. I could see he was actually getting genuinely angry. I can also say that this is such a big deal for him, that it is probably one of the reasons we never dated. I will be out that way in a few months, so I’ll have to find a game of cornhole. Ew. OMG. That really does sound squicky.

Also, this is the second thread with mayonnaise thread drift. I strongly dislike both mayonnaise and ketchup, and I believe someone mentioned mixing them together. Ew.

Cornhole and mayonnaise. So much ew. 

The Army Navy game gets heated around here. Hub is retired Navy (enlisted) and Son #1 is former Army (medically retired post Iraq). Even now that we're 900 miles apart, the trash talking texts/fb messages get going and they're pretty awful. Every single Army/Navy insult you can think of gets thrown around. They get right inventive too...at halftime they both insult the Marines. 

All I can say is when Michigan takes on Notre Dame in the season opener this fall, the crap will fly between Hubby and me. Longtime rivals there!! I'm inclined to throw food more than words. Though I think if Harbaugh can't pull off a better season than last he's going to be out of a job pretty quick. 

I’m a decent Ohio State fan, but both Ohio State and Michigan are fine academic institutes and I know quality people who went to/support both. Let’s live harmoniously. Unless we’re talking about Derrick and Josh, then let the claws come out. 

That being said, I went to Kenyon, where nobody rallies around a sports team except swimming (sort of) and we have a shit ton of writers and the guy who invented the birth control pill (can I get an amen?). Give me a book over a silly sports rivalry. 

@Million Children For Jesus I believe the term you’re looking for is Mayochup. I like ketchup, but the marketed combo sounds quite upsetting

An aside: I studied abroad in Germany and there was an “American Sandwich Paste” in the grocery stores there. It looked like mayo, but mayo is pretty popular with fries over there, so I don’t think that was it (we weren't brave enough to try it). While we’re talking about condiments, speculation for what American sandwich paste might be?

16 minutes ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

An aside: I studied abroad in Germany and there was an “American Sandwich Paste” in the grocery stores there. It looked like mayo, but mayo is pretty popular with fries over there, so I don’t think that was it (we weren't brave enough to try it). While we’re talking about condiments, speculation for what American sandwich paste might be?

I hate shit like this.  It's on a par with "Oriental" or "Oriental-style" that shows up in so many places, not just in 70s cookbooks like you might expect but in supposedly modern/current restaurant menus.  

8 hours ago, feministxtian said:

The Army Navy game gets heated around here. Hub is retired Navy (enlisted) and Son #1 is former Army (medically retired post Iraq). Even now that we're 900 miles apart, the trash talking texts/fb messages get going and they're pretty awful. Every single Army/Navy insult you can think of gets thrown around. They get right inventive too...at halftime they both insult the Marines. 

2159F865-3C32-4DA3-BA0E-04D17324C4D8.jpeg.ab5afd358b3f3a7c3e05c074c5477a72.jpeg

:pb_lol:

Daughter of a Marine and Vietnam Vet here. He cheers for the Navy when they play the Army, partly because his father served in the Navy during WW2 and partly because it’s just fun for him to cheer against the Army for some reason. He’s weird. Lol!

On 4/14/2018 at 8:52 PM, OhNoNike said:

Same.  I thought it was some reference to beevis & butthead

Tha'ts what it always reminds me of! 

16 hours ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

@Million Children For Jesus

On the flip side, you can have yummy shredded chicken sandwiches, sloppy joes, and/or pulled pork sandwiches. Fill up on those and skip the salad, unless the host went the cold cuts and cheese tray route. Ham salad sandwiches would also be awesome, but they have the same mayo problem that potato salad and macaroni salad do. Baked beans are also a good side dish. If you're going, please eat a shredded chicken sandwich for me!

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

On the flip side, you can have yummy shredded chicken sandwiches, sloppy joes, and/or pulled pork sandwiches. Fill up on those and skip the salad, unless the host went the cold cuts and cheese tray route. Ham salad sandwiches would also be awesome, but they have the same mayo problem that potato salad and macaroni salad do. Baked beans are also a good side dish. If you're going, please eat a shredded chicken sandwich for me!

Ohhhh I’m totally making a ham salad sandwich for lunch. 

1 minute ago, Nargus said:

Ohhhh I’m totally making a ham salad sandwich for lunch. 

I'm so jealous! I don't have any cooked ham to grind up!

21 hours ago, FundieCentral said:

I don't recall which blog it comes from, but one of the ex-fundie bloggers (on Patheos maybe?) had discussed how in their belief system, all sin is seen as equal. So having sex outside of marriage, being gay, molesting children, being a gambling addict, lying, stealing, etc. are all on the same level of misbehavior. For this reason, Josh's behavior would have been considered no worse than had he been caught having sex with a girl his age (consensually) or being caught masturbating. 

I know I've seen something similar on Love Joy Feminism, by Libby Anne. The two boxes idea?

10 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

I know I've seen something similar on Love Joy Feminism, by Libby Anne. The two boxes idea?

yup, she's done a few posts about it I think. Here's a post she did when the first scandal came out:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2015/05/josh-duggar-and-the-tale-of-two-boxes.html

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived