IGNORED

Michelle Lesley

EmiGirl

If they’re not allowed to teach men, where do they get off telling men not to listen? But if they can’t instruct a man not to listen, he might learn something, which is also against the rulz, and, and, and...

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2018 at 5:19 AM, ophelia said:

I've never read anything from Ann Voskamp, but she has been on my list for quite some time now. If her writing style isn't that easy to follow I should probably read her books in German though.

wtf is she talking about?

"complementarian" is just the new fundie way of saying women need to stay in their place. they know that saying women should be subordinate to men sounds bad to a lot of women so instead of saying that they have this idea that traditional women's roles complement traditional men's roles and yadda yadda. It's the same BS in a new package.

• Upvote 7

13 hours ago, Soulhuntress said:

This is who Michelle Lesley reminds me of: Sister Bertha Better than You from Ray Stevens Mississippi Squirrel Revival.

image.png.b83bca25b8f5d74a9c65eaa730ba5830.png

Aaaaand thanks for the earworm...I think. :pb_lol:

• Haha 2

There's one about a woman leading a women's bible study in a Catholic nursing home and she claims the woman is "reaching out to the lost and unbelievers." Oh sweet Jesus.

• Sad 1
  • WTF 4

Lori would immediately go after this one - she's been on podcasts and even has listed on her site that she was speaking at a church in TN last week. Don't worry though, she won't talk about false teachers when she's invited - and she'll tailor her fees to the event!

On 13.2.2018 at 2:03 PM, BiblebeltCath said:

Lent is always something the anti-Catholic fundies like to criticize. Candy used to rail against it. Like you said, EowynW, their complaints show they do not understand it at all.

Yeah I'm not Catholic anymore but still practice Lent (or better, started doing it after I converted to Protestantism :D) and I was very surprised that many of the Evangelicals don't observe Lent... 

@ophelia Since you're a fellow German :D if you want to borrow Tausend Geschenke from Ann Voskamp, I've got it here and don't really need it anymore. So if you're interested you can PM me. :) 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, L1o2u3 said:

@ophelia Since you're a fellow German :D if you want to borrow Tausend Geschenke from Ann Voskamp, I've got it here and don't really need it anymore. So if you're interested you can PM me. :) 

Thank you! I already ordered it, but that is really a kind offer. And how nice to "see" a fellow German on FJ! 

• Upvote 3

@ophelia :) 

I got my copy for free a few months ago because Gerth Medien has this book club where new members can choose free stuff for 50€ :D (but you have to order four times a year to be in that club). It was okay :) but her style is really poetic and that was a little too much for me :D However, I always find those translated books from that publisher a little weird to read (but CLV is even worse. They read more like English with German words, so very literally instead of using a rather "German" style). 

• 6 months later...

One thing I will say about her is she's not afraid to Biblically, logically, analytically, and systematically address difficult topics that make most women in conservative Christendom run for the hills.  This is refreshing, and I can overlook her being a somewhat Calvinist for that.  :)

To wit, I've messaged her twice about two very challenging issues, and both times she has responded to me and made outright blog articles about my questions/subjects!  The first was on the Great Commission and if it applies to women (something I'd been wondering about for awhile), and the most recent was on the subject of lust, which I have struggled with greatly since puberty:

https://michellelesley.com/2018/09/17/the-mailbag-is-lust-a-sin-for-women-too/

By the way, it was Jordan Niednagel's BFF, Nathan Daher, who tried to say that men and women are tempted differently.  He did this publicly on one of Jordan's 2015 posts where Jordan attempted to rationalize his sin of lust.  I don't think I will EVER forget that imbecilic thread, including the responses from all the passionless women in Jordan's circle who cannot understand the struggle.  I also remember this was just a couple or so months after the NBA basketball player, Kevin Love, appeared naked in ESPN's Body Issue, which led me to daydream constantly about and lust intensely after him.  I really took Daher and the Niednagels to task on that.  To this day, Love tempts women in his various modeling endeavors, and I have to be careful what I look up and watch with him in it.  I like him as a basketball player, and for bringing attention to mental health -- but when it comes to sensuality and sexual issues, Kevin Love is like a Luciferian snake, tempting women with his tasty fruit.  ?

• Downvote 1

• 1 year later...

For those not familiar,  from Bruce Gerencser's bio:  Bruce  "pastored Evangelical churches for 25 years in Ohio, Texas, and Michigan. Bruce left the ministry in 2005 and in 2008 he left Christianity. Bruce is now a humanist and an atheist."  He and his wife, Polly (an IFB pastor's daughter), began having similar doubts and deconverted at about the same time. 

He blogs at  The Life and Times of Bruce Gerencser: One Man's Journey From Eternity to Here and he's got  some things to say about Michelle Lesley, who blogged about how women need to see themselves as horrible human beings (and right before Mother's Day!).  It's an "I've seen the Bible and the damage done" kinda post: 

Why does Michelle Lesley Try so Hard to Demean Other Women?

• Upvote 1