IGNORED

Michelle Lesley

EmiGirl

Does she post anywhere about her family? I tried to search for it but couldn’t find it. I’d be interested to know how she has step children. 

So I followed the link and read a very long article about all the ways in which women could teach men and how wrong this is. Including how her blog is specifically for women and if a man read it it was like evesdropping and not her fault- she wasn’t tying to teach a man. The second article I read was one directed to church leadership (men) teaching them about all the reasons why women leave the church and what they should change to keep women in the church. I have now given up as the level of hypocrisy astoundeds me even though I have seen it over and over again in various blogs. Below is the link to the article bout women leaving church- you will notice it’s modest, non leading helpmeet sort of tone! https://michellelesley.com/2015/07/24/nine-reasons-discerning-women-are-leaving-your-church/

• Upvote 2

I started reading the "Rock Your Role" faq's, and I'm flabbergasted. It's like i'm reading something that could have been written by Isis or the Taliban, or something that was written two centuries ago. 
There is a question whether it's ever ok for a man to be present when a woman is teaching the bible to a group of women. (Note: it has already been established prior to this question that under no circumstances are women ever allowed to teach the bible to men, because god forbid they get it into their way to excitable little heads that they are more knowledgeable than a man, especially with regards to matters of faith. :rolleyes: ) Her answer to this question is that, yes, there are certain “biblically legitimate reasons” for a man to be present when a woman is teaching the bible to other women. Namely, a pastor/elder/husband could want to sit in on a bible study a woman/daughter/wife is giving to other women “to make sure [they’re] handling God’s word correctly and not teaching false doctrine to the women of the church”. O_0 Excuse me??? I find this perception on the place and role of women utterly disgusting, and it saddens me deeply that there are women who are so indoctrinated with these kind of poisonous beliefs that they actively support their own subordination and preach this subordination to other women.
It’s the 21st century, but these people are still stuck in the dark ages. Maddening and saddening.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 2

Her post about lent is sad to me. For the first time in my life I'm in a church that practices it (Methodist) and while i am sure there are people who view it as she says, our church views much more simply. I, personally, am looking forward to it as there are a couple areas in my life that I need to work on, and Lent is the perfect starting point for that. 

IMG_2267.JPG

• Upvote 10

Lent is always something the anti-Catholic fundies like to criticize. Candy used to rail against it. Like you said, EowynW, their complaints show they do not understand it at all.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I'm laughing a little at her Christmas mailbag post. Obviously things change, which is why it's okay for us to celebrate on a pagan feast day, but we totally have to be literalist when it to the Bible!

If I didn't laugh I'd sprain my eyes from rolling them so hard.

Off-topic, does anyone know much about Joyce Meyers and Rachel Held Evans? She and Lori Alexander tie themselves in such knots over those two I'm curious now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

does anyone know much about Joyce Meyers and Rachel Held Evans?

don't know much about Joyce, but RHE is my hero!!! She's a strong voice in the Christian feminist world. 

Joyce Meyers is apparantly evil because she preaches. 

To this woman even the most conservative of women speakers and bloggers are evil. I'd hate to be that hateful of a person.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

I'm laughing a little at her Christmas mailbag post. Obviously things change, which is why it's okay for us to celebrate on a pagan feast day, but we totally have to be literalist when it to the Bible!

If I didn't laugh I'd sprain my eyes from rolling them so hard.

Off-topic, does anyone know much about Joyce Meyers and Rachel Held Evans? She and Lori Alexander tie themselves in such knots over those two I'm curious now.

Joyce Meyers is, from what I understand, a health and wealth prosperity gospel teacher. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

Michelle Lesley is a batshit Calvinist...

I'm not crazy about Joyce Meyers...but occasionally she makes a good point. Our ladies bible studies use Priscilla Shirer's studies, Ann Voskamp (I love her but her writing style takes a little getting used to), Beth Moore and others. 

This crazy bitch can piss up a rope

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2

Sounds like I want to check out RHE then. Thanks!

That Lenten post is something else. Actually, all of them are something else. She and Lori would get along famously. Maybe. If they weren't busy passively-aggressively out-holying each other and nitpicking each other's theology/literalism.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, EowynW said:

Her post about lent is sad to me. For the first time in my life I'm in a church that practices it (Methodist) and while i am sure there are people who view it as she says, our church views much more simply. I, personally, am looking forward to it as there are a couple areas in my life that I need to work on, and Lent is the perfect starting point for that. 

I'm not even religious anymore but was raised quite strictly Catholic. I still do Lent because I think it is good practice to have a period of moderation and temperance. When I was religious though, we were taught that Lent was a period to remind us of what Jesus sacrificed of himself in the desert before his death- and that no matter how difficult we find Lent, it would never even come close to all Jesus sacrificed for us. You should not get to Good Friday and be full and have all your needs and wants met- how can you really sit with Jesus suffering for all of us and that ultimate sacrifice if you're satiated and content in all aspects.

That's how I was taught. Makes sense to me. 

• Upvote 5

Her "40 Things To Give Up For Lent" list was fun.  Especially this one:

15. Give up the delusion that you’re basically a good person. You’re not.

She sounds pleasant.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 13

19 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Her "40 Things To Give Up For Lent" list was fun. Especially this one:

What upbeat and inspirational takeaways... :my_rolleyes: 

• Upvote 2

I love how she warns her readers that WordPress runs ads on her blog, and occasionally they are inappropriate. She is of course totally innocent since she doesn’t pick the ads! Forgets to mention ads pay...

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Michelle Lesley is a batshit Calvinist...

I'm not crazy about Joyce Meyers...but occasionally she makes a good point. Our ladies bible studies use Priscilla Shirer's studies, Ann Voskamp (I love her but her writing style takes a little getting used to), Beth Moore and others. 

This crazy bitch can piss up a rope

She is batshit but in her own words 

A genuinely regenerated Protestant, Southern Baptist, Semi-Reformed (I lean strongly towards Calvinism, but do not agree 100% with every single Calvinist teaching.), mostly Cessationist, non-Emergent, anti-Word of Faith/Prosperity Gospel, pro-life, complementarian, conservative Christian who believes the 66 canonized books of the Bible are breathed out by God, true, and sufficient for all aspects of Christian life.

She has no damn idea what she believes but she knows the stuff she hates.  Bless her heart.  

On a happier note, Ann Voskamp is great and yes her writing style is hard to follow until you read a little longer.  Joyce Meyer and all prosperity preachers annoy me because they are almost spell crafting.  Yet they mock witches.  Meh.

Here is what I remember about this wench:  https://michellelesley.com/2015/07/31/leaving-lysa-why-you-shouldnt-be-following-lysa-terkeurst-or-proverbs-31-ministries/

The thing that gets me is her constant thread of hate for well everyone.  I did buy a couple of Lysa's books after someone had me read this nonsense.....

I've never read anything from Ann Voskamp, but she has been on my list for quite some time now. If her writing style isn't that easy to follow I should probably read her books in German though.

A genuinely regenerated Protestant, Southern Baptist, Semi-Reformed (I lean strongly towards Calvinism, but do not agree 100% with every single Calvinist teaching.), mostly Cessationist, non-Emergent, anti-Word of Faith/Prosperity Gospel, pro-life, complementarian, conservative Christian who believes the 66 canonized books of the Bible are breathed out by God, true, and sufficient for all aspects of Christian life.

wtf is she talking about?

• I Agree 4

Joyce Meyers falls over into the world of crazies (in my opinion).  She borders on the name it and claim it/dominionist part of the spectrum.  

• Upvote 5

I only have the stomach to read one batshit crazy pesron who makes me stabby and ragey -- and that's Lori.  I'll have to give this Michelle a wide pass.  

I read through some of her blog entries . She wants to seems to be logical and sane and normal and a Biblical scholar  but really she's as hateful, judgmental, narcissistic, crazy and making up her own religion as Lori.

She's actually worse than Lori because the crazy isn't so blatant.

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, ophelia said:

(Snip)

I’m glad it isn’t just me, I am so confused by this. 

• I Agree 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, clueliss said:

Joyce Meyers falls over into the world of crazies (in my opinion).  She borders on the name it and claim it/dominionist part of the spectrum.  

We watched her sometimes when we were in the attempting fundy stage (which I will never ever ever ever ever get over!) and she was something else! She would talk about women's roles and how women shouldn't really preach, etc., and then she would just keep doing what she had just said women should't do! She is very much into the prosperity gospel, and you are right - she is basically preaching the name it/claim it doctrine.

• Upvote 2

On 2018-02-14 at 6:19 AM, ophelia said:

<snip>

Cessationist: the belief that flashy "spirtual gifts" (as they appear in the New Testament) were specifically and only for that era of history -- they don't play any role at all in normal Christian life. (Ex: speaking in tounges, prophesy, healing) Mostly-cessationist = thinks there are exceptions.

Emergent Church: younger (Gen-X and following) Christians re-working the faith, questioning tradition, and becoming more in tune with "more liberal" cultural perspectives. (Non-Emergent = the old ways are best)

Word of Faith: a Christian denomination very comfortable with flashy spirtual gifts and highly emotional/experiential worship and "prophesy" gatherings.

Prosperity Gospel: the belief that by becoming Christian, God is on your side and you can expect "the good life" in every possible way -- if you just believe hard enough and pray a lot.

Edited by Pammy
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1