IGNORED

Maxwell 18: Creating at Least One Mini-Steve

Coconut Flan

There are quite a few fundie families with an older unmarried SAHD. I wonder what these fundies think about all of these godly daughters doing nothing with their lives.

Maxwells, Smiths, Wallers, Staddons, Botkins. There are more but I can't think of them all right now.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Staddons

This family is rife with older, unmarried kids. I don't know how much death they talk about, or how much fun they don't have, but I sometimes think Donald or Michael are Sarah's best bet for a match. Maxwells do have roots in ATI, after all.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There are quite a few fundie families with an older unmarried SAHD. I wonder what these fundies think about all of these godly daughters doing nothing with their lives.

Maxwells, Smiths, Wallers, Staddons, Botkins. There are more but I can't think of them all right now.

The Reins sisters ("Ah, the Life"). Kelly is 41, Andrea is 38.

2 minutes ago, halcionne said:

This family is rife with older, unmarried kids. I don't know how much death they talk about, or how much fun they don't have, but I sometimes think Donald or Michael are Sarah's best bet for a match. Maxwells do have roots in ATI, after all.

The Staddons just seem awkward AF to me. And some of the older guys aren't terribly attractive. So I wouldn't be surprised if one or two Staddon males never marry. But Esther is nice looking so I have no idea why she is single.

6 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I think Sarah is probably a bit too old for JD (from his perspective). I could see him with Anna, though. Doesn’t David Waller have an older brother or two who are still single in their 30s? I could see one of them being a good match for Sarah. 

TFDW has older brothers who are "confirmed bachelors"? ooohkay. . .

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I, for one, want to cheer whenever a SAHD approaches menopause. An empty quiver is a good quiver.

It makes sense for those families to keep some spinsters at home. That's a lot of unpaid labour in exchange for a bunk bed and starvation rations of barely edible food. How would the Botkins' business fare without those 2 full time unpaid employees who also do all the housework. How would the male maxhellions carry on spawning every other year without the free cooking, cleaning and childcare. How would the Duggars even function without Jana.  

I know it has been discussed at length but I wish women like Sarah would explain how they feel about god not sending them a husband.  I get that god’s timing is perfect and that maybe he has a different plan for them, but it must take some mental gymnastics to convince themselves that something didn’t go horribly wrong.  What is Steve telling Sarah?  Unless all of these women have made their own decision to remain single, which is doubtful, it must keep them awake at night wondering. With people like Lori blathering non-stop about a woman’s only role is to marry and bear fruit, well, the whole thing just falls apart in pretty spectacular fashion.  

6 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

You need to buy a copy of Managers of Their Homes right now. You are a disgrace to Jesus. And Mary. And Steve.

I own and have read and studied said manual. I actually got quite a bit out of it that was useful. Okay, not the schedule to the max stuff, but some good, solid ideas on managing schooling for the kids. Alas, the managing the chore thing never really took. I'm not a homemaker. My ceiling fans are awash in dust and the Christmas decor is still up in places. Steve would not be impressed. However, the state fire marshall is my daughter's friend and she recently visited unexpectedly. She commented that my house looked far better than most she sees since it had not suffered fire damage. So there! My house is better than a burned out home. Take that, Steve!

1 hour ago, Fascinated said:

I know it has been discussed at length but I wish women like Sarah would explain how they feel about god not sending them a husband.  I get that god’s timing is perfect and that maybe he has a different plan for them, but it must take some mental gymnastics to convince themselves that something didn’t go horribly wrong.  What is Steve telling Sarah?  Unless all of these women have made their own decision to remain single, which is doubtful, it must keep them awake at night wondering. With people like Lori blathering non-stop about a woman’s only role is to marry and bear fruit, well, the whole thing just falls apart in pretty spectacular fashion.  

We need to remember that these women have been taught from day one to not only unquestioningly accept both the will of God, but the will of God's representative on earth - their headship/father.  If there is no husband and no kids then that is the will of God.  Period.  No further discussion. Questioning the will of God is blasphemy.  Clearly there is a different plan and it may or may not be their place to know God's will.  Yes, it is the women's role to marry and have kids in this culture - unless God decides otherwise.  For Sarah God has decided otherwise.  No further questions asked. 

Those of us who have been raised to ask questions, think critically, and challenge authority/men will never understand this worldview.

My guess that Sarah is sad and wishes it were different.  But then immediately feels guilty for even daring to question the will of God.

3 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I, for one, want to cheer whenever a SAHD approaches menopause. An empty quiver is a good quiver.

I admit that a part of me feels horribly sorry for them. They were given a raw deal in all this. I wish fundies would go more towards the Richardsons (7 sisters). They really do look happy in their career paths. The oldest Richardson daughter is single and only a couple of years younger than Sarah Maxwell. She's a fucking pilot! She seems to be loving her life as an unmarried fundie woman. Good for her.

23 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I admit that a part of me feels horribly sorry for them. They were given a raw deal in all this. I wish fundies would go more towards the Richardsons (7 sisters). They really do look happy in their career paths. The oldest Richardson daughter is single and only a couple of years younger than Sarah Maxwell. She's a fucking pilot! She seems to be loving her life as an unmarried fundie woman. Good for her.

That's amazing!  Steve would never allow his daughters to have careers. 

53 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Exactly. These SAHDs end up with nothing. If only they had careers or a circle of friends with different outlooks, or subscriptions to the theatre or anything. But they don’t. It is astounding that these fathers handcuff their daughters like this. It borders on criminal. Sarah gets to be the family ‘writer’, photographer and devoted auntie to her married brothers’ children. Such a fulfilling life. Fuck. It is honestly beyond my comprehension. 

ETA: I don’t mean to sound like this is anything that hasn’t been discussed and is the very reason for the existence of this forum, but, my god. It is insanity. Literally. 

3 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Exactly. These SAHDs end up with nothing. If only they had careers or a circle of friends with different outlooks, or subscriptions to the theatre or anything. But they don’t. It is astounding that these fathers handcuff their daughters like this. It borders on criminal. Sarah gets to be the family ‘writer’, photographer and devoted auntie to her married brothers’ children. Such a fulfilling life. Fuck. It is honestly beyond my comprehension. 

When Michael Pearl criticizes your stay-at-home daughter approach, you know you’ve fucked up big time. 

https://nogreaterjoy.org/articles/cloistered-homeschool-syndrome/

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I admit that a part of me feels horribly sorry for them. They were given a raw deal in all this. 

I guess I don't feel sorry for them because, growing up fundie, that was my future, too. I got away. It wasn't easy and I lurched around for too many years trying to learn basic principles of adulthood (paying one's bills, for one thing). But it can be done and I'm not the only one who has done it.

11 hours ago, Coconutwater said:

Don’t give him any more ideas to further make everyone more miserable. Coffee is probably the only enjoyable vice they get to have especially since they all have to get up before the sun comes up. Steve probably drinks it, so therefore it’s okay. 

Yes! I read the comparisons to Pepsi (was thinking what they're thinking) and thought, "No! Don't say it out loud lest they see it and take the coffee away!"

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

David has 2 brothers and 3 sisters unmarried. But I think his brothers are in their 20s. So still younger than Sarah. I think David may actually have a Sarah Maxwell type sister. I think she's around 30 and still single. 

Samuel is about 24-25 but Matthew is still only 19 (20 in late March).

David's Sarah Maxwell type sister is: Sarah Waller! She's 29 (30 in the fall), along with Lydia 24-22ish and Rebecca 23-21ish.

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

No way.  Get outta town.  You're kidding.  I haven't followed them in years.  Is she really a pilot???  Holy crap I had no idea. 

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Can't forget the Arndts when we're talking about older unmarried adults (though all but Whizzy are men). They are all still safely at home, and the oldest ones must be approaching 40. Paging @Bethella, do you happen to have their ages?

24 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Can't forget the Arndts when we're talking about older unmarried adults (though all but Whizzy are men). They are all still safely at home, and the oldest ones must be approaching 40. Paging @Bethella, do you happen to have their ages?

The Arndts range in age from 37 to 15, only the two youngest are still minors.

7 hours ago, JillyO said:

I admit I was only thinking of the women. I don't really feel sorry for the older unmarried males in fundie land. The Arndts have careers and the ones that are photographers are amazing. They get to travel around and meet new people. Their lives are different from Wizzy's. Just like the Richardson daughters have lives very different from SAHDs like Sarah Maxwell.

19 hours ago, Granwych said:

Makes Sarah look absolutely middle-aged.

Or cayenne pepper.  Now, that's hot coffee!

@JermajestyDuggar  @Granwych you guys forgot Poor Esther Staddon, who would have been David's SIL if the world was a less cruel place to be for David?

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

@JermajestyDuggar  @Granwych you guys forgot Poor Esther Staddon, who would have been David's SIL if the world was a less cruel place to be for David?

No, I mentioned the Staddons originally. I don't know why Esther is still single. She much nicer looking than some of her brothers and she seems to be a pleasant fundie.

13 hours ago, sparkles said:

When Michael Pearl criticizes your stay-at-home daughter approach, you know you’ve fucked up big time. 

https://nogreaterjoy.org/articles/cloistered-homeschool-syndrome/

That's quite an interesting post from Michael Pearl, who apparently considers himself a "balanced" patriarch, but those other patriarchs?  Meh. 

Then someone pulled from ancient Chaldean and Sumerian culture, also practiced by Jews of that day as reflected in Scripture, a system of Patriarchal rule. It was the way nomadic clans were held together, a necessity of the times, but never taught by Moses, the prophets, or Christ as God’s divine plan.

I laughed the first time I hear of the Patriarchal Movement. “It will never fly,” I said, “People are not that gullible.” But they were. Daddies who were never in charge of anything, maybe not even their wives, were finally given justification for assuming the throne. Yippee!

It is now become a disease of epic proportions. We call them PDFs, Patriarchal Dysfunctional Families. 

He is pretty clear that children, including daughters, should be taught that they'll be living their own lives at a relatively early age, although note that the ages at which he thinks that should happen are different for sons and daughters. 

You should have trained your sons to be men by the time they are fifteen, independent by the time they are eighteen. Your daughters should be capable of living apart from the family by the time they are eighteen and should be allowed to make their own life’s decisions somewhere between the ages of eighteen and twenty. Unmarried, grown (18 years old) children may remain at home; it is good if they do; but the parent-child relationship should evolve into an adult-adult relationship by the time they are sixteen to eighteen years old. Parents should have earned the right to give advice, and kids should have grown in wisdom enough to ask for it. But a parent should never invoke his parental authority on a grown kid. It is demeaning to both and akin to not being potty trained.

I think his oldest, Rebecca Pearl Anast, is the most damaged and the most like her father.  She may have been the most adventurous and left home, but she did manage to marry a guy who may actually be worse than her father, so it's like she left home but she didn't. 

I believe the Andersons are similar in their thinking compared to the Pearls. I think it's their way of saying, "if my children fuck up past 18 it's not my fault." I know Zoo and PP's future. They will kick their boys out at 18 and expect them to be adults and if they fuck up, it's on the boys, not them. Their girls will be kept at home longer but I'm sure they will have the same attitude once their daughters get married. 

Only a couple of WTF moments in today's post. Here are the gems:

"We even pulled off the question and answer panel at the close of the conference with just five of us."

Wow! That must have been rough! Having spoken to 800 people and answered ALL their questions myself, I can only guess stressful that was for Steve.....lol

"...they treated us to a wonderful Arkansas smoked meat home cooked dinner."

As opposed to, say, a Texas or New Jersey smoked met, home-cooked dinner? How is it different? No clue

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived