IGNORED

Crown College student missing

nolongerIFBx

31 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It wasn't just enabled, they were checking it which is on the controlling side. 

Yes, I also said that was strange in a previous post. I was replying more to the idea that it’s weird to have a tracker on one’s husband. It could be, for sure, but not always. I’m unclear as to whether they were watching his whereabouts or checked because they hadn’t heard from him or something. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CrazyMumma said:

a phone is a valuable which I think that had there been foul play... would have been taken. Thoughts??

Only if it was a random robbery. If it was foul play, it seems like something premeditated in some bizarre way (brick for accelerator for example). However, I really don't know who would plan a murder ahead of time and choose to drown someone. Drowning a 20 year old is not an easy way to kill someone and leaves a lot open to chance.

26 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Yes, I also said that was strange in a previous post. I was replying more to the idea that it’s weird to have a tracker on one’s husband. It could be, for sure, but not always. I’m unclear as to whether they were watching his whereabouts or checked because they hadn’t heard from him or something. 

The original article states that the dad checked the life360 app at 7 in the morning and realized his son wasn’t home. So it does sound like they were monitoring his whereabouts.  

I thought the parents tried checking on him the night before, then the dad spoke to his roommates at 7 AM.  Maybe it was a random check the night before?  I can't imagine they were too worried if they waited until the next morning to call the school.  

Does it make sense for Blake to show up for work that morning, if he was planning to suicide?  Why wouldn't he just do whatever he had decided to do instead of going to work?  

I was bothered by his preaching on New Year’s that life was short. Could that be indicative of suicidal thoughts? 

25 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I thought the parents tried checking on him the night before, then the dad spoke to his roommates at 7 AM.  Maybe it was a random check the night before?  I can't imagine they were too worried if they waited until the next morning to call the school.  

Does it make sense for Blake to show up for work that morning, if he was planning to suicide?  Why wouldn't he just do whatever he had decided to do instead of going to work?  

People contemplating suicide do weird things. They aren't in their right state of mind most of the time and their thought processes aren't always logical. Sometimes the decision to commit suicide is impulsive and done after going about their day normally.

The day I attempted suicide when I was in college, I'd gone to classes, work and the gym. It was a normal day until something set me off. I'd been depressed for a while and thinking about suicide, but a particular event made me decide it was time. (Please don't ask further questions, this happened almost 15 years ago and I've moved on and am emotionally healthy - just wanted to relate my experience.) 

It's highly possible something happened that day that triggered Blake to end it all. He may have been depressed and thinking about suicide for a while, but made the decision that day based on....any number of reasons. Even something seemingly innocuous that happened at work or as he was going home could have precipitated this. 

The article says the parent checked the tracker in the evening and he wasn't home then got up in the middle of the night and checked again, and then called the roommates in the morning. IMO, very obsessive and controlling.

Sadly suicide is not that uncommon in that age group and demographic, I live near several college and it seems like there are regular occurrence of students being reported as missing. It generally ends one of a few ways, a miscommunication on where abouts, hiking and getting lost, and suicide. My first thought was suicide. But the car running with the concrete block is very strange.The rest all seems consistent with suicide, regardless of what the parents think. Very sad. 

An irreverent aside, you might be from A pot legal state when you see "weed man" and think it's a strange place for a future pastor to be working while in seminary. 

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

@anjulibai makes an excellent point about thought processes and impulsivity. Also, if he had a premeditated plan that could be stopped if people were alerted in time, he may have gone to work first so that his boss or colleagues weren't wondering where he was or calling or that they didn't raise the alarm sooner. When I attempted as a teenager, the only reason they got to me in time was that a teacher I was close to went to find me to give me news about a competition that I had won in the extracurricular that she coached me in, she realized that I wasn't in my first period class and she knew that I never ever missed school even if I was very unwell and would need to be sent home under protest from me. She got in her car with another teacher, drove to my house, and I'd forgot to lock the back door and they (thankfully) found me and I spent 2 weeks in ICU after that.

When I went through a very dark time a few years ago and planned how I'd suicide that time (I never acted on it, again, thankfully), making sure I had the time where I wasn't expected to be anywhere and no one would realize for awhile was something I factored in.

15 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

The article says the parent checked the tracker in the evening and he wasn't home then got up in the middle of the night and checked again, and then called the roommates in the morning. IMO, very obsessive and controlling.

Having had a child who would use the extension ladder to climb into my bathroom window to steal the keys out of my purse, which I had brought upstairs to protect both money and keys, then take said keys to joyride in the car, when he was NOT of age to do so, yeah, I'd have checked the phone tracking when I got up to pee at 2 am.. but he was 14, not 22 and in college.

One time 2:30 am I was calling the police to report Mr. Four's car stolen as the police were calling me to say they'd picked the kid and the car up..Mr. Four almost always did the late night pickups from the police precincts. we got to know the locations of several.

Eventually, I started sleeping with my purse between my headboard and my pillow.. had to learn to turn off my phone, as odd calls would come in during the night, and scare the bejeesus out of me.

I went to college in the dark ages of AOL instant messenger.  If I had an away message posted for 6+ hours and no activity, my mom would call or message my roommate.  Some parents are just worriers.  Thank Dog I didn't have a cell phone back then...

I'm in my late twenties and have been living a 13 hour flight from my parents for five years, and they're just recently accepting that I might not text every single day.

I don't think the issue is so much that the guy was twenty, but that we all know the context the average Crown student is operating in. That type of oversight is more likely about control than affection.

All of that said, it came in handy here (which it likely would have regardless of parenting style).

When I was in my first year of university, I called home every single day. Each year, the amount of times that I would call home in the week would go down. My parents love me but they knew too that I would become more self sufficient and they welcomed that. 

I feel there is nothing wrong with a parent being concerned but we are talking about Crown College parents. The amount of rules that the college has, wouldn't be ok for the average student. I don't think they'd be ok to the average parent, really! 

Unfortunately, I feel the "parental level of concern" (another term: umbrella of protection) feeds into this whole sad story in some causative fashion. JUST my opinion.

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Unfortunately, I feel the "parental level of concern" (another term: umbrella of protection) feeds into this whole sad story in some causative fashion. JUST my opinion.

The phrase "accountability partner" came to mind.  

7 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

I don't think the issue is so much that the guy was twenty, but that we all know the context the average Crown student is operating in. That type of oversight is more likely about control than affection.

And part of that control is thought control -- that you simply cannot be allowed to be alone with your thoughts. 

I reached out to someone today who has "boots on the ground" in the situation.

Apparently there is disinformation in the media.  I'm not going to share anything specifically at this point but will come back to comment if it's released for more general knowledge.

I'm not sure there is a good answer to be found in the situation.

23 hours ago, SuperSluth said:

I went to college in the dark ages of AOL instant messenger.  If I had an away message posted for 6+ hours and no activity, my mom would call or message my roommate.  Some parents are just worriers.  Thank Dog I didn't have a cell phone back then...

I totally forgot about AOL away messages! That brings back memories. We must've gone to college around the same time. My mom had no idea what AOL instant messenger was back then. She would just call every Sunday evening. 

I went to college so long ago that I wrote letters home and received letters back. For the 25 room dorm hall, there was ONE phone.. and an intercom from the housemother's desk (yes, you read that correctly) for when someone came to pick you up.

25 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I went to college so long ago that I wrote letters home and received letters back. For the 25 room dorm hall, there was ONE phone.. and an intercom from the housemother's desk (yes, you read that correctly) for when someone came to pick you up.

Pretty much the same here except we had a phone on each hall which is where I talked to my parents on a weekly basis. Waiting for the mail to be sorted & pushed into mailboxes (which had glassed-in fronts, so you could see what was there) was also a daily event. There was usually a crowd of a half dozen dorm residents standing around to see this!

That all I said, this Crown College case is incredibly sad, no matter what has caused this young man's death. No parent sends their kid away to school thinking they'll be told s/he has died suddenly.

We had phones in each dorm room, but I still didn’t call home that much as it was expensive.  One of our friends decided to call a boyfriend in Luxembourg late one night as it was his birthday on our room phone.   Fortunately,  the charge for that call never came through on our bill.

On 2/8/2018 at 10:18 PM, ChickenettiLuvr said:

I reached out to someone today who has "boots on the ground" in the situation.

Apparently there is disinformation in the media.  I'm not going to share anything specifically at this point but will come back to comment if it's released for more general knowledge.

I'm not sure there is a good answer to be found in the situation.

I have been very interested in the story because of a second-hand connection and watched the funeral yesterday. I have a gut feeling but hope I am wrong. Please come back and comment if more information is released.

Will do, @jojo.  I'll try to reach out to my contact person again one day this week ... Since they are still very much IFB-KJV -- "but not legalistic, we wear pants(TM)" -- normally we don't converse that often so don't want to appear over-eager for details on this situation.

(FWIW -- I almost outed myself today at work. One of the very Roman Catholic partners remarked on my "Lord love a duck" commenting. And flat out asked me why I say "Sweet baby Rufus." *G U L P* I do not lie well. So I threw an anonymous message board under the bus collectively along with 'those who swear.'  Uh-oh. Rufus forgive me. And Rufus bless all of you. ... )

*off to google a Rufus equivalent of saying Hail Mary or the rosary*
(With abject apologies to all here who are devout RC. No offense intended.)

Wait. So this news story implies that the remains might not be his. 

http://www.utdailybeacon.com/news/local_news/search-investigation-underway-for-missing-crown-college-student/article_4b188298-1005-11e8-92d9-4b4c0c78d5c7.html

What if he was just gay, got into a situation he couldn't get out of, was threatened by being outed, committed foul play and booked it and is on the run? 

(Have I read too much true crime? Maybe yes...)

Nope, it's him: 

Sheriff: Crown College student died of hypothermia, drowning Feb 6, 2018

The body found in a creek in Louisville, Tennessee, was confirmed Tuesday to be Blake Smith, a Crown College student who went missing over the weekend.

An autopsy found Smith's preliminary cause of death was "hypothermia/drowning, and his death appears to be accidental," the Blount County Sheriff's Office said in a news release.

BCSO spokeswoman Marian O'Briant did not immediately return calls seeking comment on how the death was deemed accidental.

There was an open casket memorial service.  

The family, or at least the aunt, as of last week, strongly believes that foul play was involved.  

Archived