IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 2: Growing (a Little Bit) Older Together

Jellybean

12 minutes ago, llucie said:

Evan started to study to be an electrician recently(before that he had a job at an hospital). 

Thanks! Does anyone know where he's studying? I wonder if Evan being in school will also help delay things longer. Michael and Brandon ended up having a pretty lengthy courtship because Brandon was in bible school at the time. I can't imagine that Evan can afford a ring or a place to live just yet (or a baby because we all know they'll have one soon if they get married within the year). I don't think Gil would let Evan take Carlin off his hands unless he could afford to feed her and provide for all of her needs by himself. 

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, stardust said:

Thanks! Does anyone know where he's studying? I wonder if Evan being in school will also help delay things longer. Michael and Brandon ended up having a pretty lengthy courtship because Brandon was in bible school at the timel. I can't imagine that Evan can afford a ring or a place to live just yet (or a baby because we all know they'll have one soon if they get married within the year). I don't think Gil would let Evan take Carlin off his hands unless he could afford to feed her and provide for all of her needs by himself. 

I dont know, but he could have some money saved already if he was working since a young age. I think Gil is fine as long as they can rent a place (and we have seen that he doesnt care if the place is a small student apartment, there doesnt seem to be that buy a house with no debt fantasy the Duggars have).

47 minutes ago, stardust said:

Thanks! Does anyone know where he's studying? I wonder if Evan being in school will also help delay things longer. Michael and Brandon ended up having a pretty lengthy courtship because Brandon was in bible school at the time. I can't imagine that Evan can afford a ring or a place to live just yet (or a baby because we all know they'll have one soon if they get married within the year). I don't think Gil would let Evan take Carlin off his hands unless he could afford to feed her and provide for all of her needs by himself. 

40 minutes ago, llucie said:

I dont know, but he could have some money saved already if he was working since a young age. I think Gil is fine as long as they can rent a place (and we have seen that he doesnt care if the place is a small student apartment, there doesnt seem to be that buy a house with no debt fantasy the Duggars have).

Not to mention Kelly. She practically salivates at the idea of another precious blessing being married off and she apparently pushed hard for Gil to give the ok for CarVan’s courtship. That could have just been for the show, but we’ve seen how pushy she can be a few times now - like when she pulled an actual calendar out at a restaurant to pin down a wedding date for Michael and Brandon when he hadn’t even proposed yet. I may not be giving her enough credit, but I have such a low opinion of her (and Gil) that I honestly think she’d push for an engagement regardless of his ability to provide.

Perhaps Kelly and Gil have their doubts about Evan too, he seems to be using Carlin quite a bit for his music "career". If it was just about Carlin being immature and acting like a infatuated 13-year-old, they wouldn't be as hesistant. Maybe it is just because Josie is more reserved and Carlin is very extroverted, but Carlin doesn't come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Don't get me wrong, Josie is way too young, but at least she acts her age (18! ) and she has actual usable skills and a job. Kelton still gives me the creeps, but from my own experience unfortunately, I know that losing a parent as a teenager forces you to grow up fast. Let's hope Kelton will at least be consider Josie's help and they won't have a kid each year since his mom died giving birth to his sibling.

And about Alyssa, I think she was desperate to get out too. She doesn't seem to be very fond of her mother. She openly stated that she doesn't want eleventy kids. My guess is they're trying to have a boy and this is why they had 3 kids in 4 years. Non-fundies do that too. (My uncle and aunt were like that; 3 boys and then finally a girl, they weren't planning 4 kids first).

As for the pants: what makes me happy that is that we've seen her daughters in Florida  wheather appropriate short clothes and bathing suits. I could rage endlessly rage about Anna Duggar et al putting leggings underneath the dress of her NEWBORN so as not to defraud the males. How sick is that. Somebody defrauded by a baby needs to be locked up.

P.S. I love Josies dress :tw_love:  Girl has style! Did anyone ask where she got it? I need a new one for next ballroom season :)

tumblr_inline_papjn93Jb31vwrnee_640.png

Carlin has yet to post any kind of congratulations to Josie online.  That doesn't *have* to mean anything but considering how much she lives her life online, I think its evidence of her being really, really put off.  

I think everyone is reading the same hesitations from Evan. Something has seemed more distant in recent episodes?  Maybe? At the beach? With the eating oysters.  And she made him take photos but he wanted to play football with her brothers...

54 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

Carlin has yet to post any kind of congratulations to Josie online.  That doesn't *have* to mean anything but considering how much she lives her life online, I think its evidence of her being really, really put off.  

None of the siblings have posted anything, and neither has Kelly who always posts on events like this. I wouldn’t read too much into it. 

So because I'm avoiding homework currently I went onto their social media to stalk. Evan has gone to go visit her and was saying how much he loves her because he didn't stop to use the bathroom during his trip to go visit and I wonder if that's why we haven't heard anything because he's there. Maybe he realizes how hard it is for her current and came up especially for that?

I also couldn't remember if she had his initials on her Instagram bio account? He still has her name with hearts but she has some type of quote. I also wonder in general the honeymoon stage is over now and she's just wanting to get out soon from their house. 

13 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

saying how much he loves her because he didn't stop to use the bathroom during his trip to go visit 

Seriously? How romantic! :pb_lol:

I actually feel sorry for Carlin.  I don't think she likes being the oldest daughter in the home and having to raise her younger siblings or in charge of the household.   She's in love and wants to marry Evan.  Although the courtship has progressed how it should on the show,   things off camera must be different.  I'm sure Gil and Kelly have sat her down and told her that she's finishing school and needs to mature.  (I don't know why she has to finish school when Allyssa didn't have too and Michael was allowed to finish after she got married.)   She has done everything by her parent's "rules" and probably doesn't completely understand why they have delayed her and Evan from getting married.  

I'm sure she is happy for her Josie,  but its got to be hard for her to be passed over.  

2 hours ago, doubleT said:

I actually feel sorry for Carlin.  I don't think she likes being the oldest daughter in the home and having to raise her younger siblings or in charge of the household.   She's in love and wants to marry Evan.  Although the courtship has progressed how it should on the show,   things off camera must be different.  I'm sure Gil and Kelly have sat her down and told her that she's finishing school and needs to mature.  (I don't know why she has to finish school when Allyssa didn't have too and Michael was allowed to finish after she got married.)   She has done everything by her parent's "rules" and probably doesn't completely understand why they have delayed her and Evan from getting married.  

I'm sure she is happy for her Josie,  but its got to be hard for her to be passed over.  

I also find ridiculous that excuse. She needs to finish college. For what?? she is never going to work as a teacher. I dont even think she likes teaching at all, even if she had the chance to do it, that we know she will not.

Also she is doing online classes now, anyway. 

I really hope the reason they are delaying her marriage is not because they need a helper in the house. 

5 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

I also couldn't remember if she had his initials on her Instagram bio account? He still has her name with hearts but she has some type of quote. I also wonder in general the honeymoon stage is over now and she's just wanting to get out soon from their house. 

She’s had that quote. I remember it really well bc it’s a silly play on words quote that is burned into my brain now.

F06B0D45-682A-4FD1-92B5-DC71276E46CC.thumb.jpeg.c41af463ce5f152c47b3ba275cd49fe2.jpeg

Carlin using kissing lips emojis at a man she can’t kiss is quite ironic.

2 hours ago, llucie said:

I also find ridiculous that excuse. She needs to finish college. For what?? she is never going to work as a teacher. I dont even think she likes teaching at all, even if she had the chance to do it, that we know she will not.

Also she is doing online classes now, anyway. 

I really hope the reason they are delaying her marriage is not because they need a helper in the house. 

I’m pretty sure she’s pursuing a music degree like Erin did. Tori is the daughter who just graduated with a teaching degree. Considering Evan comes from a musical family it could very well be a good idea for Carlin to finish her education.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m pretty sure she’s pursuing a music degree like Erin did. Tori is the daughter who just graduated with a teaching degree. Considering Evan comes from a musical family it could very well be a good idea for Carlin to finish her education.

I'm all for Carlin getting her degree and finishing college.  However, Erin, Tori and Michael were all allowed to get married before they had finished with their degrees.   Perhaps Gil and Kelly are using Evan as their reason why.  He doesn't have a sure fire way to support Carlin yet.  Although, in the episode where they went to the beach to be with Gil's mom's family, she was telling Papa Bates that there was some plan for her to move to Nashville but she and Evan weren't telling Gil that until after they were engaged.  *shrug*  

I know that the longer she isn't married, the better, giving her time to mature..  But I still feel for her.  Its got to be difficult to be told by your mom and dad that you aren't ready and then have to be in charge of the household and the younger kids.  

2 hours ago, doubleT said:

Although, in the episode where they went to the beach to be with Gil's mom's family, she was telling Papa Bates that there was some plan for her to move to Nashville but she and Evan weren't telling Gil that until after they were engaged.  *shrug*   

That's funny. Unless that scene was 100% staged (which it very well might have been), Carlin was clearly expecting to be engaged by the time that episode aired, then.

7 hours ago, doubleT said:

I'm all for Carlin getting her degree and finishing college.  However, Erin, Tori and Michael were all allowed to get married before they had finished with their degrees.   Perhaps Gil and Kelly are using Evan as their reason why.  He doesn't have a sure fire way to support Carlin yet.  Although, in the episode where they went to the beach to be with Gil's mom's family, she was telling Papa Bates that there was some plan for her to move to Nashville but she and Evan weren't telling Gil that until after they were engaged.  *shrug*  

I know that the longer she isn't married, the better, giving her time to mature..  But I still feel for her.  Its got to be difficult to be told by your mom and dad that you aren't ready and then have to be in charge of the household and the younger kids.  

I’m actually wondering how much Evan may be playing a role in the delay be honest. We already know Kelly has zero qualms about pressuring these young couples into marriage. We also know she went to bat for CarVan during the courtship conversation with Gil. Some of that may have been just for the show, but some of it is likely rooted in truth. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Evan wanted to take that next step, but just doesn’t feel he’s ready for the responsibilities it entails - similar to how Brandon was very insistent on not proposing to Michael until he finished that Bible School program. It could explain why he left his job at the Medical Center and started pursuing a trade when he did. A job as an Electrician (or Plumber, I can’t remember which he’s pursuing) might provide a better quality of life for a future family and starting now means getting more requirements out of the way prior to any blessings arriving. Having kids won’t make it impossible, but it would make things tougher. The more he gets done prior to marriage the better. 

I definitely get the vibe that the situation Carlin and Evan are in, is much more similar to Michael and Brandon than any other relationships.  

Michael and Brandon were courting for over a year (I think maybe even closer to two years) as Brandon worked to finish his schooling and ensuring he has a job and is ready to support Michael. In that time, I feel like Michael developed her stills as well. I can’t remember if she finished school before or during the courtship.

I feel like the delay is a Carlin/Evan proposal has nothing to do with Gil and Kelly at this point, and everything to do with Evan preparing himself for the headship and provider role (thus proving how responsible he is |sarcasm|). His quitting the receptionist job to fulfill a much more lucrative electrical trade was step one. Carlin wanting to (or being forced to) finish school may be a move better situate them for the future together. After college she would be able to homeschool not only their kids, but possibly the other Stewart grandkids (I know at least 1-2 of Evans sisters have spawned).  Also, Carlin has seemed a bit more subdued in the last few months, like she’s trying to outgrow her squeals and the interrupting... And, of course, keeping a joyful heart. 

On 6/23/2018 at 11:19 AM, VBOY9977 said:

None of the siblings have posted anything, and neither has Kelly who always posts on events like this. I wouldn’t read too much into it. 

I'm not 100% disagreeing with you @VBOY9977.  But, I think Kelly is the one who controls the Bates IG account. I say this because she often writes in the comments things like "Granny loves you" or addresses Gil directly as his wife. So she has actually posted quite a bit about it, calling it the best day ever at one point. 

8 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

I'm not 100% disagreeing with you @VBOY9977.  But, I think Kelly is the one who controls the Bates IG account. I say this because she often writes in the comments things like "Granny loves you" or addresses Gil directly as his wife. So she has actually posted quite a bit about it, calling it the best day ever at one point. 

I also think she’s the one that controls that account. I was referring to the fact that Kelly hasn’t used the @thebatesfam account to congratulate Josie on her engagement, and she usually posts congratulations for everyone. When I mentioned the sibling I was talking about the ones that have their own insta accounts, and that they haven’t posted anything about Josie either. That’s why I’m not paying much attention to Carlin not saying anything. 

16 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Thats not what they said in the last episode. she is doing teaching with a minor in music. I dont see her working as a teacher so thats why i said that i find her degree useless. And even if it was a music degree would have been useless anyway, is not like you need a degree to sing in churches.

Maybe Gil and Kelly are afraid Carlin is going to go mainstream the moment she leaves, as Even won't be 'firm' enough with her to 'keep her in line.' 

15 hours ago, doubleT said:

Yeah - if they're saying she needs to be more mature, or something like that, but expecting her to run what's basically a school classroom, especially if she has responsibility for nieces and nephews, that's hypocritical.  I know, I know, it's the Bateses, they always are, but that has to burn.

Kelly was pressuring Evan in the last episode. Saying things like "Evan, here's your engagement scene." I don't think the delay is Kelly/Gil inspired (though Gil might want to delay). It has to be Evan inspired, imo.

If they're worried about Evan providing for Carlin (and kids), she could get  a job and use condoms and still get married  (just pointing out the obvious).

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived