IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 2: Growing (a Little Bit) Older Together

Jellybean

4 hours ago, stardust said:

I do really feel for fundie men in a way. They may have special privileges *coughhumanrightscough* that the women don't, but there's so much pressure on them to support a wife and eleventy children or else he's labelled as a failure and a bad provider.

I agree to an extent. I do feel bad for the young men born into fundamentalism; not so much for their fathers who voluntarily chose this cult. Looking at you, Gil Bates.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Alysabeth said:
  Hide contents

DD0191F2-58B6-4085-9DEE-50A53EC9D2C7.thumb.jpeg.9bb70ce6dc907b6fee2b5451983c3b49.jpeg

Might just be my Instagram playing up but Evan’s page doesn’t seem to exist any more (one can hope)!  

that usually means the user has blocked you (I know because I’ve been #BlessaBlocked) 

55 minutes ago, brusselsgriffon said:

that usually means the user has blocked you (I know because I’ve been #BlessaBlocked) 

I just logged into an old Instagram account and viewed it fine so you are correct, I have been Evan blocked! I have no clue why as I never comment on fundie pages (just snark on them here). 

As I write this I’m having flash backs to day drinking over the weekend, although I’m 99% sure I wouldn’t have drunk commented on fundie social media and got blocked :my_huh:

(Don’t judge me on the day drinking; it was May Day bank holiday weekend here in the UK and we were experiencing a rare heatwave, both of which I was making the most of) :my_blush:

@brusselsgriffon What did you do to get #blessablocked? I have been blocked on twitter by Derrick Dillard.  Is there a hashtag for that? And LOL @Alysabeth I wonder what you did to get blocked by Evan? 

10 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

@brusselsgriffon What did you do to get #blessablocked? I have been blocked on twitter by Derrick Dillard.  Is there a hashtag for that? And LOL @Alysabeth I wonder what you did to get blocked by Evan? 

I honestly don’t remember! I’m pretty sure I just had a few drinks at some point last year and said something as simple as “hey girl, leave the cult” 

Looks like Evan is leaving his job at the hospital. I wonder if this means he's started working as an electrician intern. <--- I think this is the right term to use, but idk. I'm not too familiar with the process to become an electrician. :embarrassed: 

evan.PNG.bfa90ac9276e6b02b4cb42dddf713227.PNG

5A030DDD-2C1E-4C5D-B4EA-33273DE10829.jpeg.d40dc0ffb8518709efa84701b85cb43d.jpeg

Someone asked on Instagram when Carlin will graduate and Kelly (I’m assuming) replied that she is “supposed” to graduate next May. It might just be me but I find this wording weird, as if they think she won’t graduate then. Personally I’d have gone for ‘she is due to graduate’, unless they know something we don’t. 

4 hours ago, Alysabeth said:

5A030DDD-2C1E-4C5D-B4EA-33273DE10829.jpeg.d40dc0ffb8518709efa84701b85cb43d.jpeg

Someone asked on Instagram when Carlin will graduate and Kelly (I’m assuming) replied that she is “supposed” to graduate next May. It might just be me but I find this wording weird, as if they think she won’t graduate then. Personally I’d have gone for ‘she is due to graduate’, unless they know something we don’t. 

A lot of people I know were supposed to graduate in four years and took longer to do so for a variety of reasons. Kelly may be hoping to have one less mouth to feed sooner than later though and she has a history of trying to speed up relationships. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was hoping Carlin marries this year, regardless of whether she finishes her degree or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Carlin sporting some serious blonde highlights while she and Evan watch his brother's soccer game.

I wonder if (in general) fundies notice a red flag in their partner after courting for 6+ months, do they break it off or do they ignore it because they've already made a committment.

Screenshot_2018-05-20-11-45-24-2.png

@TatiFish9 I think they for sure stick out because heart pieces and bullshit. But Carlin does look less and less enthused in every new picture. She went from full toothy smile to a part smile, to a soft smile, to just a flat smirk hahahah :pb_lol:

It seems to *me* that the fundie girl normally pulls out of the courtship but Carlin seems way to stubborn to me to give up now. I do see her getting very impatient, almost to the point of contention between her and Zoolander when it comes to conversations about them getting engaged.

The big question for me is how a chair that low is even comfortable?

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I was just thinking that I would make a fool out of myself attempting to get out of that chair. 

On 5/8/2018 at 5:50 AM, JoylessAnna said:

I agree to an extent. I do feel bad for the young men born into fundamentalism; not so much for their fathers who voluntarily chose this cult. Looking at you, Gil Bates.

I feel bad for every single one of Jill Rodriguezes son's. (Her daughters, too, certainly.) I have a soft spot for Timothy. I truly hope more outgoing, macho types of funday men are kind to him. 

10 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

In these parts we call those beach or sand chairs.  I've never seen them used for anything other than that.  ;)  

It’s quite common here for people to use them for things like outdoor film screenings so as not to block other people (people with higher chairs sit at the back), but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them used in any other non-beach scenario.

So I looked up South Haven Baptist in Springfield, TN. The "what we believe" statement didn't mention politics or even seem that fundie- besides a mention of the Bible as "inerrant, and infallible" the beliefs were pretty standard explanations of virgin-born Jesus, the Trinity, importance of Baptism and communion, etc.

Even the "Bible way to heaven" section is really short and says recognize your sin, believe in Jesus. No comments on men to be leaders of the home, sanctity of life or marriage, etc.

Then I read the page about the pastor and looked at the leadership team. Of 17 church leaders shown, all 17 are men, and only 2 are obviously POC.  Pastor Gagliano has 7 children- 1 son and 6 daughters, 5 of whom are married. The pastor, his son, and 4 of his son-in-laws are on the leadership team, all of whom may be full-time employed by the church. The son is associate pastor/youth director, SIL 1 is outreach director, SIL 2 is graphic designer/media director, SIL 3 is the Jr. High director, and SIL 4 is a counselor, of which there are 2. So while South Haven Baptist did not directly say they were fundies, the church and at least 1/3 of its major staff all belong to the same family, including the message the children are hearing, how the church is presented to others, and any internal counseling members might receive. So their church is almost certainly fundie, and almost certainly also the Cult of Gagliano. Yikes. 

In other news, Becky M and many many other commenters are asking why such a Godly couple isn't engaged yet and telling Carlin Evan should hurry up and put a ring on it already! I can't imagine the pressure he's under.

Lolz. Somebody invite her to FJ. And if you wrote this and you already are on FJ, I salute you.:clap:

EC4BC7CC-9BAD-41E4-8CF8-07C65605447C.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

Lolz. Somebody invite her to FJ. And if you wrote this and you already are on FJ, I salute you.:clap:

EC4BC7CC-9BAD-41E4-8CF8-07C65605447C.jpeg

OMG she is so right!

Looks just like he took a razor down the middle :pb_lol:

If I ever need a reminder of the hollow hypocrisy of white Southern fundamentalist Christianity today, I read some of the random leghumper comments on Carlin's Instagram.

Cute shoes?  Oh, that means you such a godly role model.

Cute dress that isn't a micro-mini? Oh, you are such a superior Christian to the rest of us. 

On 5/8/2018 at 1:10 AM, stardust said:

I do really feel for fundie men in a way. They may have special privileges *coughhumanrightscough* that the women don't, but there's so much pressure on them to support a wife and eleventy children or else he's labelled as a failure and a bad provider. That's one of the many reasons I'm hoping Carvan will have a long courtship (cause we all know once they're engaged, the wedding will inevitably happen about 3-4 months later). Poor Evan won't know what hit him when he suddenly goes from being the next fundie Bieber to instant fatherhood practically overnight. He just doesn't seem ready for shouldering that kind of responsibility. IMO he's still very much stuck in his 'just wanna have fun' stage. 

Having come from a fundi-lite background, to me the whole soul sucking, joylessness of being a  fundie man is being 'intentional' (it made me gag to write that word), everything you do must be leading and making sure that everyone is either encouraging eveyone, or having a bible study. I really think is depressing, sitting around laughing telling funny stories really doesn't have a place every minute of family time must be intentional unto the Lord. I get exhausted just thinking about it all. 

12 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

https://www.tvinsider.com/693090/bringing-up-bates-carlin-bates-interview/

Carlin gave an interview and I laughed at the part where she mentioned Alyssa having a fuschia colors themed wedding. I will never get over that wedding. Alyssa has come so far.

I'm going to bet good money that she's going to do the most tasteful AF vow renewal for their five or ten year, and do the wedding she actually wanted to do. 

I think Alyssa got the wedding she did actually want at the time. If I had gotten married at 19, I think my color choices would have been very similar. Erin's pink master bedroom and Alyssa's wedding colors get slammed a bit too much in my opinion. Both young women had a say for the first time in their lives, and were still teenagers emotionally (and in some cases physically). I'm happy they got to do what they wanted to do. Were they over the top "girly?" Yes. Might Alyssa and Erin now have more subtle styles? Maybe. But I do believe they got to choose their wedding and home decorations and for that I am still happy for them. (Plus my own style leans towards very bright and very girly and I'm 25)

18 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

https://www.tvinsider.com/693090/bringing-up-bates-carlin-bates-interview/

Carlin gave an interview and I laughed at the part where she mentioned Alyssa having a fuschia colors themed wedding. I will never get over that wedding. Alyssa has come so far.

ASSUMPTION TIME: 

I’m gonna go ahead and just assume that Carlin and Erin are ridiculously nosy and obnoxious about asking their sisters if they’re pregnant. Like, Duggar level nosy and obnoxious. 

(For those that didn’t read the link, Carlin stated she flat out asked Tori if she was pregnant and Tori confirmed she was (after initially not responding - I think it was kind of implied she was shocked that Carlin had guessed right.) Carlin started helping Tori plan how to reveal it to the rest of the Bates family and found out that Erin knew Tori was pregnant too.)

On 5/1/2018 at 9:54 PM, neurogirl said:

From the blog listed above: 5ae91a0a64c46_ScreenShot2018-05-01at6_52_29PM.png.2a84f9307dff65b4db7bbe0e19f48f6e.png"Based on this data, this is what we can expect next…

Josiah’s Wedding   May 11—June 6, 2018   

Carlin’s Engagement   by December 16, 2018

Josie’s Engagement   by May 20, 2019"

Super fascinating stuff!

whoa! i had no idea erin and chad's relationship was that long before courtship!! they were dating-but-not-really for nearly two years before their fairly long courtship?? what's the basis for that date, if i might ask? 

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived