IGNORED

Seewalds 30: No new baby, but with more recipe thread-drift

Jellybean

I’ve always been open about touch typing. It’s treated as a bonus - another skill. I’ve certainly never been treated like a secretary (apart from the time when I was one). It just allowed me to be more efficient and get things done faster, which worked well for my ‘men and women can be equally capable and should be paid the same’ schtick 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tabitha2

• singsingsing

• Carm_88

• SapphireSlytherin

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my favorite part of Jessa’s post though... 

Speaking as someone who does have to worry about money, this is a really unhelpful assumption. Some people are on a very tight budget and very carefully save so that they can enjoy a comparatively exp

Good to know there’s something they’re not religious about 

Posted Images

feministxtian
10 minutes ago, elliha said:

Is this just a modern thing but I thought precisely everyone knew how to touch-type if they worked in an office. I work in front of a computer all day and cannot remember seeing anyone at my office who doesn't touch-type.

I can touch type. It's a skill that came in VERY handy in my line of work (believe it or not)...in the one drafting program I use the most, I learned the keyboard shortcuts years ago (in the days before icons) and it helps immensely. I can keep on with my train of thought and my hands just sorta do their own thing. My boss LOVES me because I can type 70 words a minute...so I type all the purchase orders, sales proposals, etc. too. (The "joys" of being the engineering, project management, production planning and QA/QC departments...)

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

It was a thing. Back in the day, there was a job literally known as a “typist”.  It was always a woman. One of my first ever jobs was being an “audio typist”, which meant I listened to tapes of men speaking, to type them out, because men were more worth money than typing. Women, however, were born to type. And fix photocopiers. 

Edited by Threff
Missed a word
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1
SamiKatz
27 minutes ago, elliha said:

Is this just a modern thing but I thought precisely everyone knew how to touch-type if they worked in an office. I work in front of a computer all day and cannot remember seeing anyone at my office who doesn't touch-type.

I agree - I've worked in offices forever (also old), and I've never known an office where they men and women didn't touch type.  I can't imagine doing any kind of job involving computer work where you can't touch type.  I also find that when job searching, you still get typing tests and people expect a certain amount of wpm (I do work in admin though).

• Upvote 7

Yeah, I work in admin (school secretary) and I've noticed that for various jobs I've applied for, I've been asked about my wpm. I also type 110 wpm so I welcome the question, ha. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1
Antipatriarch

Way back in the day, if you could type, you could make pretty good money in college typing papers for other students who couldn't.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1
justoneoftwo

The only person I've run into who wouldn't type was a women who worked her way through school and then decreed she would never have to type again.  She won't touch a keyboard.  I get it, but its super annoying in modern times.  She would hand write email responses and have her secretary type it up.  

• Upvote 3
singsingsing

Wait... how could anyone, male or female, work in an office in the 21st century and not be able to touch type? Is that even possible? If it is, it's going to die out really soon. I can't imagine anyone under the age of 40 or so doesn't type by touch. Or maybe I'm deluded? I was at a typing test once for a clerical pool, and the woman sitting beside me was typing like 21 words per minute and I couldn't believe it. Maybe it was because she had to look at the keyboard? My mind is blown!

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1
SapphireSlytherin
Just now, justoneoftwo said:

She would hand write email responses and have her secretary type it up.  

That is fucking ridiculous.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1
feministxtian
11 minutes ago, viii said:

Yeah, I work in admin (school secretary) and I've noticed that for various jobs I've applied for, I've been asked about my wpm. I also type 110 wpm so I welcome the question, ha. 

dang!!! I'm seriously impressed! 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1
Carm_88

I can't imagine not being about to touch type. We started learning very young and it has always been an amazing asset! 

• Upvote 2
nastyhobbitses

My mom tried to get out of typing classes in school by saying that she'd be a boss, and hire someone else to type for her. Didn't quite work, but it tells you something about the ambition she had and that she encouraged me and my sister to cultivate. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I have never in all my 51 years cut up a whole chicken. Nope. You couldn't pay me enough to do that. That's why they sell PIECES in the store.

I'm 57 ,and tried once to cut up a chicken.Never again.I don't care if I end up paying more,I buy thighs,legs and breasts at the store.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1
WhoompThereItIs
16 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Wait... how could anyone, male or female, work in an office in the 21st century and not be able to touch type? 

I do, sort-of. I never took a typing class in high school or college, and have become pretty proficient at the "hunt and peck" method.  It wasn't until college* that I broke the urge to handwrite my essays first.

*this was in the early to mid-2000s - late bloomer, I know.

Edited by WhoompThereItIs
  • Upvote 5
justoneoftwo
13 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

That is fucking ridiculous.

Yep, its the only law firm I know of that has more staff than attorneys.  Its crazy and inefficient.

SamiKatz

My family bought my mother a tablet for Christmas (she is 80) and I never even thought that she didn't know how to type!  So now I'm teaching her how to type and use Facebook at the same time.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
singsingsing

I actually only type with two fingers on each hand, plus my right pinky for hitting the shift key and my left pinky for hitting the control key. It know. It's ridiculous. But this is how I taught myself to type. I started typing around the age of 6 or so when my family got a computer. Around grade 7 or 8 they started having us do typing exercises in computer class but they never actually checked to see how we were typing. By the time they started teaching us the proper hand placement in grade 9, it was too late. I tried it the 'right' way and it was just slowing me down. I thought, "What's the point?" and just waited till the teacher's back was turned and went back to typing like I normally do. I type about 80-100 words per minute this way. I guess I could probably type faster if I learned to do it the 'right' way, but it's way too late now!

• Upvote 11
7 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

In my next life, I am going to have a chef who plans , buys, preps, & cooks. I think I'll also have a massage every day too, although not necessarily by the chef.

We are going to have the exact same next lives!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

dang!!! I'm seriously impressed! 

I'm a writer when I'm not at work, so I've learned to type like a man man, ha. 

Also, I wonder how many people are going to come racing into this thread because it's hot and be confused that there's not pregnancy announcement, it's just talk about typing :lol:

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1
mango_fandango

I remember doing touch typing at school. Whilst I liked the program we used, I don’t think it made me any better at typing/typing faster, in fact I was really slow at doing it because I wanted to be accurate. I am a hunt-and-peck type as in using just one or two fingers, but I don’t look at the keyboard (only very very occasionally). I think many hunt-and-peck typists know the keyboard layout. 

When I did the touch-typing program nobody actually watched/taught us, we just logged into the program and that was it. I don’t remember there being anything about speed, although it was over ten years ago.

• Upvote 2
Audrey2

I graduated from high school in 1990. My parents encouraged me to take typing my freshman year in high school so I could type papers in high school and college. It was a class that was encouraged for all college bound students, male and female.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1
allthegoodnamesrgone

I can touch type as well but I'm SLOOOOW. At best I can do 55 wpm usually around 40/45 wmp, I've never been very quick, my kids can type like no ones business 90+ wpm, I wish I could do that. 

• Upvote 3
singsingsing
3 minutes ago, viii said:

Also, I wonder how many people are going to come racing into this thread because it's hot and be confused that there's not pregnancy announcement, it's just talk about typing :lol:

They'd better just get used to it, because it's happening on a regular basis. I think so far we've covered the Wars of the Roses, the Princes in the Tower, historical fiction, cooking, and typing. Still no new Seewald baby. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 10
  • Love 1
Just now, singsingsing said:

They'd better just get used to it, because it's happening on a regular basis. I think so far we've covered the Wars of the Roses, the Princes in the Tower, historical fiction, cooking, and typing. Still no new Seewald baby. :pb_lol:

I'm so sad I missed the War of the Roses/Princes in the Tower discussion! I'm a historical fiction writer, so that stuff is my jaaaaam! 

• Upvote 6
Audrey2
2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

All of which are more interesting than discussing the Seewalds!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1
  • Jellybean locked this topic