IGNORED

Macy's going to sell hijabs

47of74

Macy's is going to offer hijabs for sale.

Dozens of different clothing lines launch every single day, but this one is pushing department stores in a more inclusive direction. According to Market Watch, The Verona Collection is launching at Macy's. The company, which specializes in modest clothing including hijabs, will arrive at the department store in mid-February, and it's about darn time.

When you think of the word "department store" there's a good chance that inclusivity doesn't come straight to mind — but it will soon. Macy's has teamed up with The Verona Collection to bring modest dress into its stores. According to the Business Wire, the collection will include dresses, cardigans, tops, and hijabs.

Hijabs are nothing new to Muslim women, but it's not every day that you see them incorporated so effortlessly into a fashion line. The brand creates gorgeous, hand-dyed hijabs in versatile fabrics. In fact, the entire line is about layering. The collection manages to appeal to just about everyone, while having a modest appeal for those in need.

I've got my popcorn ready for the inevitable reich wing freak out that is sure to occur the second some horse's ass branch trumpvidian finds out about this.

popcorn2.jpg.51815e29b3418491aee6699dc38e973b.jpg

I just looked at their website. The clothes really are quite lovely. I tend to dress  modestly in general (It’s how I feel most comfortable) and I’d get several pieces if they were in the budget right now! 

On 2/3/2018 at 11:09 PM, 47of74 said:

Macy's is going to offer hijabs for sale.

I've got my popcorn ready for the inevitable reich wing freak out that is sure to occur the second some horse's ass branch trumpvidian finds out about this.

popcorn2.jpg.51815e29b3418491aee6699dc38e973b.jpg

We are going to need a lot of popcorn!

Great! Department stores sell hats, why not hijabi (is that a word?) ?

I have been going to PT with a lady who wears a hijab. I look forward to seeing her very colorful and beautifully assembled outfits every session. We often talk about clothing.

8 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Great! Department stores sell hats, why not hijabi (is that a word?) ?

While I haven't seen any freak outs from conservatives yet, if there is grumbling, I do wonder how they will be able to justify it. This is the perfect example of how the free market (that they claim to love) works. There is demand for a product, and so a company is meeting that demand to earn more profit.

Geez, a hijab is just a scarf, either as a sheet or tubular. I would understand any fuzz if they started selling niqabs or burqas, as I do not like when people cover their face.

They are also selling the dresses and coats that many hijab wearing women want.

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

They are also selling the dresses and coats that many hijab wearing women want.

Good. So something a decent length, and not so "junior" influenced. Sign me up. Maybe I'll start shopping at Macy's again.

I don't get it. Women are forced to wear hijabs because of their patriarchal religion/culture . Why are you snarking on fundies for forcing women to wear skirts, submit to their headship, etc, but all cool with hijabs? It is literally the same thing.

I know quite a few muslim women, and none of them are forced to wear hijab. Some of them do, some of them don’t, they choose themselves. Most of them moved out of parent’s home after graduating secondary school either to get a job or to go to college or uni. Some are single, some married, some live “in sin”. 

And then you have the women forced into religious clothing with a broken will, but they don’t only wear a hijab and maybe modest clothing, but niqab. And are hardly ever seen outside of the home without an adult male relative as chaperone.

And then you have coutries where sharia is practiced.

The woman snarked about on here, who only wear skirts, say it's a choice for them too.

The culture and religion tells them that they are immodest if they don't wear hijab. Just like the fundie culture says it is immodest to wear pants. For them it's the crotch, for Muslims it's the hair. All of it is controlling, separating, and patriarchal.

My Muslim friends who wear hijab, I tell them - not persistently, but occasionally - "you're in America now you don't have to wear that anymore," because, trust me, it's not a choice where they are from.

I have a very close friend who is Pakistani. She was widowed at a young age, before she even got to know her husband or have children. Her life was over before it began. She was considered a non-person because she was a widow even though she was barely out of her twenties. She was bounced between her dead husband's family, who she barely knew, and her family. Finally, someone had the foresight to bring her to America and she went to school, studied language and became a translator and teacher. She did not make it to America until she was almost 40, but she was so happy because she could be more than property here.

She still wore hijab though. When I asked her why she said, "habit." but, once she told me it was because she felt like her father was watching her and would be upset if she didn't wear it.

They wear hijab for everyone but their husbands because in that culture they belong to their husband. It signals that the women are property. As much as I love other cultures and religions I cannot get behind hijab.

I know plenty of Muslim women who are very independent (Master's degree, good job, making their own decisions about how to live their lives) who wear hijab because they see it as a mark of cultural identity and an outward symbol of their faith. Are there some who wear it because they are forced or feel compelled by family/cultural pressure to wear it? Of course! Plenty! And we as a society should help those women be more free to make the choice for themselves about how they dress and live their lives. And if they choose to wear hijab absent that pressure, what's it to you if someone has more cranial accessories than you usually prefer? 

I also know plenty of Muslim women who do not wear hijab (or only wear it when praying/going to a mosque/visiting more conservative family members). They're no less Muslim than women who do, and it was entirely their choice not to wear it -- as it should be. 

Also, my favorite "I think what you said might be problematic but it's also pretty funny" moment was when my mom and I went to Harrods in London and she said to me, "God bless all these Muslim women because the scarf department here is fantastic!" 

I can choose to wear a crucifix because it's pretty and my grandma gave it to me, but it's still a symbol of Jesus Christ.

A woman may wear hijab because it's cultural and she wants to, but it's still a symbol of the subjugation of women. Many of whom suffer around the world from that subjugation.

I care about the impact of fundimenalism on all women, not just white Christians. Why do you care if a fundie wears only skirts? I'm not going to harass a Muslim woman for wearing a headscarf, but I'm not going to celebrate it either, because I don't agree with what it symbolizes. I didn't think that many of the people on here agreed with it either.

I get that this is an incredibly uncomfortable subject because Muslims in America are persecuted and no one wants to be a party to that. But, I can tolerate a religion and love its people and still disagree with some of the practices.

Wait so the crucifix is a symbol of Jesus but the hijab is merely a symbol of subjucating women? Because I'm pretty sure the people in the US who are fighting to overturn Roe v Wade are Christians. Also it always makes me scratch my head when "conservatives" protest what a private business chooses to sell.  Obviously the free market determined that it makes financial sense for Macy's to sell hijabs.

Macy's can sell hijabs all they want. Women can wear them all they want. I'm just not celebrating the hijab because of what it symbolizes.

I am surprised that there are women on an anti-fundimentalist website celebrating Muslim fundimenalism.

Long hair can be a symbol of subjugating women. Long flowing skirts can be a symbol of subjugating women. That Christian cross can be a symbol of subjugating women. I have long hair and tend to wear long flowing skirts, it is just what I like, just like you like to wear the Christian cross. My grandma liked to wear scarfs over her hair that looked a lot like a hijab, she was also a strong, independent woman. 

3 hours ago, Ignorance Bread said:

Why do you care if a fundie wears only skirts?

If they are doing it while training their children to call women who aren't skirts only sluts(like Jill Rod.), then I do care. But I don't think we should clutch our pearls and be upset if stores sell long flowing skirts or even just a skirt only store because I fucking love long skirts. If someone wants to wear a hijab because(fill in the blank reason, women should wear what they want without having to explain it to me) as long as they aren't acting like other women are sluts for not covering their hair, I don't care. 

1 hour ago, Ignorance Bread said:

I am surprised that there are women on an anti-fundimentalist website celebrating Muslim fundimenalism

Because, like I point out over and over in the Bates threads, what someone wears really isn't always symbol of how fundie they are. The Bates wearing jeans and shorts doesn't mean they aren't fundie as hell and working hard to support a government that oppresses women.  We had a member here who wore a head covering and dressed in very Amish looking clothing, but she was fairly liberal when it came to her views on life and politics. Just judging by the clothing you would think the FJ member was the more fundie ones, but in reality the Bates and Duggars with their jeans, shorts and nose piercings are the fundie ones. I have a friend who is Muslim who occasionally wears a hijab and she is also very, very, very liberal.

So the little store attached to my home church shouldn't sell the lacy head coverings because "female subjugation." Where is the point where a woman makes up her mind for herself? 

It's been established here that SOME women cover their heads for their own reasons. Should Macy's then NOT sell hijab IN CASE some woman MUST wear hijab?

That seems... extreme.

And as far as the more modest skirts, dresses, and coats... some of us taller and larger people have been waiting for more fabric in fashion for quite some time. Should it not be made accessible to us just because some women MUST wear it, rather than choose to wear it? Retailers are in the business of providing what sells. It seems to be a niche market for them.

Provide the clothing and let the women decide what to do with it.

I never said Macy's shouldn't sell it. I'm wouldn't be excited about them selling chastity belts or purity rings either, but they can sell whatever they want.

For liberal muslims wearing the hijab has the same meaning as wearing a crucifix for liberal christians or wearing the star of David for moderate jews.

In the original series “Skam” (“Shame”), the main character in season 4 was a liberal muslim young woman. She wore the hijab, did go to parties with her secular norwegian friends, but did not drink alcohol. She was modest, but modern dressed, and she practiced ramadan. And she explained that wearing the hijab reminded her of being true to her religion when her desires went in another directions. Amongst the things it reminded her about, was that it was not her job to judge others based on clothing, behavior or sexuality. But we were shown that she was harsly judged by secular people that did not know her, just because she was openly religious, and showed it by wearing the hijab...

2 hours ago, Ignorance Bread said:

Macy's can sell hijabs all they want. Women can wear them all they want. I'm just not celebrating the hijab because of what it symbolizes.

I am surprised that there are women on an anti-fundimentalist website celebrating Muslim fundimenalism.

Considering you can't even spell "fundamentalism" correctly, I'm not even sure I should bother to respond to this, but anyway here goes:

I really wonder how many Muslim women you actually know if you think hijab is a de facto indicator of fundamentalism. I would hardly call Noor Tagouri subjugated or fundamentalist. I live in an area with a large Muslim population and know plenty of women who wear hijab because they choose to wear it and prefer it, the same way some women choose to only wear one piece bathing suits or long shorts. They have many reasons for it, from it being a point of cultural pride to it being a reminder of their faith and how they want to act around others, in the same way that Sikh men wear turbans.

And I have never made fun of any woman on this site for choosing to wear skirts only, church veils, sheitels, CTR rings, or any other cultural or religious clothing that they choose to wear. Women's bodies and how they choose to dress them are not up for some public vote. That goes for bikinis as well as hijab.

I really think these kinds of comments come from people not interacting with moderate Muslims in their own lives. 

If hijab is so awesome and cultural, why don't the men wear them?

I think the idea that hijabs are a nice choice comes from not interacting enough with refugees and women who have escaped inhumane treatment.

The original purpose of the hijab is to cover women in public because they are considered separate from men in the religion's tradition. This goes against my beliefs.

I do have friends who wear hijab. I don't harass or disparage them because of it, but I'm not going to celebrate it.

31 minutes ago, Ignorance Bread said:

I think the idea that hijabs are a nice choice comes from not interacting enough with refugees and women who have escaped inhumane treatment.

The original purpose of the hijab is to cover women in public because they are considered separate from men in the religion's tradition. This goes against my beliefs.

I do have friends who wear hijab. I don't harass or disparage them because of it, but I'm not going to celebrate it.

There are rules for male modesty and religious rules for men in Islam. Have you never seen men with long beards, wearing long shirts and pants that look a bit short? They are in clothes based on traditional modesty standards. A man with a more trimmed beard wearing a western suit might follow a slightly more liberal standard. Another man might only go to swim in shorts below the knee and a sun protective t-shirt for the same modesty rules. Muslim men have rules that are more more similar to what we expect in the west when it comes to men's clothing but that does not mean that Muslim men never follow the rules or that they are not there. 

I regularly meet men and women from all over the world and I think wearing the hijab is fine. I hope you do realize that many of the men and women who flee IS and Al-Shabad are themselves deeply religious people who would not dream of wanting to wear anything else than what they are are wearing now and what they wore in their home country. Their flight to freedom is at least partly motivated by a yearning for religious freedom but not in the sense of not having to be religious but be allowed to be religious without being harassed for not being the right type of religious. I don't celebrate the hijab but then again I don't celebrate pencil skirts, tennis shoes or mittens either. It is an item of clothing with different meaning to different people. I mean if we are talking about being restrictive, I would much rather be in a very conservative Muslim woman's clothes even if I had to wear 3-5 layers of clothes in summer than in a cropped top, mini-skirt and heels.

23 minutes ago, Ignorance Bread said:

1. If yarmulkes are so awesome and cultural, why don't women wear them? If Sikh turbans are so awesome and cultural, why don't women wear them? If bikinis and miniskirts are so awesome and cultural, why don't men typically wear them?

2. It's interesting that you are assuming the rest of us must be more ignorant than you on Islam when you have really not displayed much knowledge on the topic. No one here said that veiling isn't forced on some women. It is and that is bullshit when it happens and should be called out. Same for women who are forced to wear skirts or modesty suits when they don't want to wear them. But you can't state that veiling is never a choice, when several people here have stated that they know women who choose to wear it. 

3. That is not the de facto, universally agreed upon original purpose of hijab, and as if with all religious practices, there is no de facto, universally agreed upon purpose for the practice. You are really demonstrating your lack of knowledge by assuming Islam is a monolith and simplistic reductions can encompass all of it. Please keep in mind that Islam is a global religion with over a billion adherents. Think of the amount of debate and division within Christianity, even in just the U.S., even within the same denominations. Islam has the same.

There are only three short surahs about hijab in the Qu'ran. One is addressed to both genders about modesty and righteousness:

"O you Children of Adam! We have bestowed on you raiment to cover your shame as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness, that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition.” (Quran 7:26)8

The other two are below:

Spoiler

“And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear therof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, or their brothers' sons or their sisters' sons, or their women or the servants whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex” (Quran 24:30).

“O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.” (Quran 33:59).

There are Muslims who interpret these surahs as stating a woman should be known for her mind and not her body, and covering helps with this. There is also an interpretation of the third surah, that it was a fashion for wealthy early Muslim women to wear long expensive cloaks that dragged on the ground behind them to display their family's wealth and that Muhammad was stating that Muslims shouldn't be so caught up in material things.

And for the ones who wear it for modesty, so what? All of us dress within our cultural understanding and that almost always includes some level of modesty. There's a reason the vast majority of people don't walk around naked, even in temperate climates. When it is really hot out, I still wear a shirt and don't walk around topless.  If I had been born and raised in a different culture, I might see that differently. Do you consider me subjugated because of this? 

Archived