IGNORED

Joy and Austin: 248 Days Since the Wedding and Still Counting

Coconut Flan

5 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

I've never made it past 38+6 so this overdue business is very foreign to me. I figure it would be super annoying sitting around and waiting, but on the other hand I always feel super robbed of my luxurious mat leave days when I could loaf without a baby or with the older one being at daycare all day being taken away.

Same. I made it to 34+2. So the idea of having to wait past your due date is something I haven’t experienced. I also never got to that “I’m seriously uncomfortable and want this over,” point either. I hate admitting this because it’s so completely ridiculous, but I always get a little upset internally when an expectant mother complains like that - I would have given anything to have reached that point and skipped the whole NICU and preemie experience. I would never in a million years ever say that to an expectant Mom though (unless they were being an asshole by saying I was lucky to deliver that early or something. Thankfully I don’t know anyone would say something like that.)

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

That is really hard. :( I hope you get the max you can home with your bub.

I took 13 months with my first, and will probably take 15 months with my second. Totally different story.

Months! You count your maternity leave in months! The US really needs to get it together. With the maternity leave at my job, I will get a whopping 1 week paid (until I've worked there for two years, at which point I will get 2 weeks. The max is 4 weeks paid). Any other time is unpaid. My husband and I are planning a baby next year but are saving like crazy people right now so that we can swing at least 6 weeks. 

3 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Unfortunately, daughter #1 thought the baby should be named after her and her favorite princess.  She was INSISTENT that her new sister be named "Audrey2 Rapunzel".  Naturally naming a child after a man-eating plant  from Little Shop of Horrors and Rapunzel wasn't exactly ideal, so they tried to get her to change the name.  Nope.  Audrey2 Rapunzel was it.  Then when they tried to break the news to her that they would NOT be going with either Audrey2 or Rapunzel for the name, she took it pretty hard.  

HAHAHA!  That is pretty much exactly what we are going through right now, although DD1 doesn't actually want to name DD2 after her, but DD1 is very insistent that we give her a specific middle name.  We've at least gotten it downgraded to a middle name, so there's that.

@VelociRapture I made it to 37 last time and he went straight to the NICU for underdeveloped lungs. I never got to the uncomfortable want this over period either. I spent a lot of time crying and mourning my pregnancy instead. Thats what I want this time, really, is a healthy baby that goes all the way and right into my arms with no complications after birth. Goal #1 is just to get to the point that I'm annoyed I'm still pregnant. 

3 hours ago, Nargus said:

My sister in law and I are both pregnant right now.  My 4 year old niece has decreed that her sibling will be named Sprinkle Zoey and my baby will be named Rainbow Twilight Sparkle.  

LOL!  DD1's first suggestion was "Icecream Sparkles".  That's now DD2's My Little Pony name.

5 minutes ago, Runningfromreality said:

Months! You count your maternity leave in months! The US really needs to get it together. With the maternity leave at my job, I will get a whopping 1 week paid (until I've worked there for two years, at which point I will get 2 weeks. The max is 4 weeks paid). Any other time is unpaid. My husband and I are planning a baby next year but are saving like crazy people right now so that we can swing at least 6 weeks. 

No kidding US leave policies are absolute shit, 6 weeks UNPAID leave is what most people can get, if you need a dr note to get back and you have a vaginal birth you have to go back after 6 weeks, in a lot of companies, you get 8 with a c/section.  at 6 weeks most babies aren't even sleeping through the night, how is mom supposed to work fulltime on 4 or 5 interrupted hours of sleep?  This country sucks ass, all they care about are profits, theirs not yours, they don't care if you die, as long as it isn't on company time.

38 minutes ago, JillyO said:

While it is not uncommon to go by a name other than your first in Germany,

This!  My German penfriend (we’ve been corresponding since we were 13, so nearly 40 years!) gave her son (now 15 yo) two names, but in the letter announcing his birth to me, said he’d be called by his middle name.  I didn’t understand why they didn’t just switch the names around.

Having said that, I was known in the family by the first of my two hyphenated middle names, but always used my first name at school, so when I decided to be called by my first name when I was about 8-9, at least it was only family and close family friends who had to adjust.  It was weird when I bumped into one I hadn’t seen for many years when I was in my 20s and he instinctively called me middle name.

As mentioned previously, I’ve formally deleted both middle names.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived