IGNORED

Josiah Duggar: Part 5

laPapessaGiovanna

My mother grew up near Ottawa, KS and I've visited the area regularly for over 30 years. So as a kid it didn't even occur to me that people might not know how to pronounce names like Salina, Olathe, etc. since I've heard and used them as long as I can remember. I grew up mostly overseas so was always learning FOREIGN place names that I didn't initially know how to pronounce, but assumed that was because the names were not part of my standard vernacular. 

Then in my teens I moved to WA, with Puyallup, Tulalip, Sequim, etc. and had to learn a bunch of place names that came from Native American languages, which was...a learning experience, and went to college in PA with places like the Schuylkill River...and yeah. (Completely aside from what we have done to place names that are based on European etc. cities names like Des Moines, WA, which is pronounced "Duh Moynz" unlike the city in Iowa, and neither of which sounds French.)

Of course, I also grew up thinking that the word "genki" (which is Japanese for "fine") which was used regularly in conversation by my parents who lived in Japan before I was born was actually "ginky" or similar and midwestern slang for lively, so you never know what words and names that sound normal to you make NO SENSE to other people or are different than you might expect.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:42 AM, TuringMachine said:

I grew up not far. We would pass it on the way to the mall or shore.

hey fellow Jersey girl here too......Manalapan was hard for some people, had a lot of Man o Lap An growing up.

All of this talk about place names reminds me of when Kent Boyd auditioned for So You Think You Can Dance. Head judge, Nigel, couldn't wrap his mind (or his mouth) around Wapakoneta, Ohio. (Also the birthplace of Neil Armstrong.) Gallipolis, Ohio can also be entertaining. 

We also say Ber' lin Ohio.

20 hours ago, metheglyn said:

Of course, I also grew up thinking that the word "genki" (which is Japanese for "fine") which was used regularly in conversation by my parents who lived in Japan before I was born was actually "ginky" or similar and midwestern slang for lively, so you never know what words and names that sound normal to you make NO SENSE to other people or are different than you might expect.

My mom says “police it up” to mean “clean” (does anyone, anywhere say this?) but she pronounces it “pleece.” I thought it was something she made up for ages before I realized she was saying “police,” which at least kinda makes sense.

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

around Wapakoneta, Ohio. (Also the birthplace of Neil Armstrong.)

I'm a space buff, and I'm scrapbook buddies with a gal whose parents went to high school with Neil Armstrong. She has both their yearbooks, and you can see NA in a homemade sweater  with a reindeer on it in the photos..

20 hours ago, Tish Cook said:

hey fellow Jersey girl here too......Manalapan was hard for some people, had a lot of Man o Lap An growing up.

I've heard some pretty creative Metuchens also

On 2/2/2018 at 10:23 AM, LimeKitty said:

Near where I grew up in Wisconsin, there is a Milwaukee suburb called "New Berlin". However, the "Berlin" is not pronounced the same as Berlin, Germany, which has the emphasis on the second syllable "lin". New Berlin is pronounced with emphasis on the first syllable "Ber". It was always so funny to hear non-native Wisconsinites pronounce it the same as one would say Berlin, Germany. It always sounded so odd. :lol:

That's funny -- I used to get really confused about why Germans would refer to their city as BER-lin when speaking English, since in German it's Ber-LIN, and in American English it's Ber-LIN too.  Then I finally figured out that in British English it's pronounced BER-lin, and since Europeans mostly learn British English they were pronouncing it that way.

It's a weird feeling when it seems like someone is pronouncing their own place name 'wrong' and you, a foreigner, are doing it 'right'. 

7 hours ago, xlurker said:

I've heard some pretty creative Metuchens also

Yep, I have family that lives there. Very creative.

Regarding Wisconsin,  you can always tell people new to the area given some of the names: Waukesha,  Minnoqua,  Mukwonogo, to name a few.

On 2018-01-30 at 12:03 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

You beat me to it. The sin of it all, they TOUCHED!! GAHHH!!  Off to the prayer closet to clutch my pearls and I have no idea.

But you guys.....he grabbed her “by the side of her CHEST”!!!!eleventy!!!

Cause you know, saying that he grabbed her under her arms to help her down didn’t sound scandalous enough. 

@Irene You asked what Marjorie Jackson is up to?

She is attending Bob Jones University, which is Christian but accredited, and at least at first was a graphic design major. She has published two Christian books (devotionals/coloring pages for middle school/teen girls) and is working on a third. She is really good at calligraphy, and also sells some clothes with patterns from her books on them. She wears pants, travels the world, and apparently was an orientation leader for this school year (in shorts and covered in paint). At least one of her housemates and another close friend is engaged, but she seems to be happily doing her thing. She has a public instagram and wordpress. She did not belong under the Duggars' thumb and I'm so glad she/her family realized that.

Wow, I'm so happy for Marjorie. If that courtship with Josiah had worked out, she would probably have a baby now. And now she can  do what most 19-20 year olds can - experience college, get some education, meet people and be exposed to other cultures. Ofc, she is still fundie(lite?) but I still am glad she gets to do all that stuff instead of popping out baby after baby after baby in her early twenties (which Kendra and Lauren and Joy are destined to do). There's some hope for the poor IBLP kids!

I do hope they choose to have a long courtship. Josiah might know now that sometimes after the first falling in love stage, you might be better of as friends.

But I have to say Lauren is a beauty! Hopefully we'll soon see a bit of her personality too, Josiah seems to like confident women. :my_smile:

20 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

That's funny -- I used to get really confused about why Germans would refer to their city as BER-lin when speaking English, since in German it's Ber-LIN, and in American English it's Ber-LIN too.  Then I finally figured out that in British English it's pronounced BER-lin, and since Europeans mostly learn British English they were pronouncing it that way.

It's a weird feeling when it seems like someone is pronouncing their own place name 'wrong' and you, a foreigner, are doing it 'right'. 

Mr Jellybean and I are both British and neither of us has ever heard anyone pronounce it BER-lin

It's not a British-English OR American-English pronunciation.

It's a geographic/local pronunciation.

My English in-laws call St. Louis, Missouri:  St. Louee. People in St. Louis, Missouri, say St. Lewis.

Marjorie dodged a bullet, but I can't help but think that the biggest loser in a lot of ways is Josiah. IF he had been allowed to nurture his creative sides they could have been a very good match. What if a marriage to Marjorie would have led him to gravitate towards her type of life? Say a long courtship, college together, he part of her business? 

12 hours ago, neurogirl said:

@Irene You asked what Marjorie Jackson is up to?

She is attending Bob Jones University, which is Christian but accredited, and at least at first was a graphic design major. She has published two Christian books (devotionals/coloring pages for middle school/teen girls) and is working on a third. She is really good at calligraphy, and also sells some clothes with patterns from her books on them. She wears pants, travels the world, and apparently was an orientation leader for this school year (in shorts and covered in paint). At least one of her housemates and another close friend is engaged, but she seems to be happily doing her thing. She has a public instagram and wordpress. She did not belong under the Duggars' thumb and I'm so glad she/her family realized that.

Correction: Marjorie Jackson is attending John Brown University in Siloam Springs Ark (I believe it is where Ben and Jessa got married??). It is MUCH MUCH MUCH more liberal (and more accredited. and less racist. and less anti-Catholic) than Bob Jones University in South Carolina.

16 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

It's not a British-English OR American-English pronunciation.

It's a geographic/local pronunciation.

My English in-laws call St. Louis, Missouri:  St. Louee. People in St. Louis, Missouri, say St. Lewis.

In some cases,  the current pronounciation of the placename of "Berlin" in the United States is a deliberate reaction to WWI.

See, for example: https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-01-25/why-youre-probably-saying-berlin-wrong

41 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Correction: Marjorie Jackson is attending John Brown University in Siloam Springs Ark (I believe it is where Ben and Jessa got married??). It is MUCH MUCH MUCH more liberal (and more accredited. and less racist. and less anti-Catholic) than Bob Jones University in South Carolina.

Small correction: It was Jinger and Jeremy who got married there (Cathedral of the Ozarks).

1 hour ago, Thorns said:

Marjorie dodged a bullet, but I can't help but think that the biggest loser in a lot of ways is Josiah. IF he had been allowed to nurture his creative sides they could have been a very good match. What if a marriage to Marjorie would have led him to gravitate towards her type of life? Say a long courtship, college together, he part of her business? 

Maybe. You're describing a possibility in which I would want to believe.

However, what is probably more likely considering the overwhelming "importance" and relative power of the Duggars (Jim Bob?), is that Josiah and Marjorie would have been established somewhere on the Duggar compound with the expectation that she pop out a baby asap. Their life, in all likelihood, would have resembled very much that of Joe & Kendra.

And while Joe and Kendra seem to be the kind of people who probably enjoy a simple, yet well-funded, country fundie lifestyle, Marjorie (and probably Josiah) seem to desire more or different things in life. I really don't know about Josiah - he's a bit of a mystery to me - but from all we can see, Marjorie clearly would have been stifled and unhappy had this courtship led to marriage.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Okay, that makes a lot more sense now. That picture had me going, "hold on, what the hell happened at BJU??" that those girls are wearing t-shirts and pretty short shorts and one in the background has on a tank top! But JBU is definitely more liberal. 

We had some textbooks from Bob Jones at Christian school. The geography book included a photo of two women spelunking in skirts and high heels. Because, of course, you can't wear pants or sensible shoes for that...

Years ago Josiah was taking some Accounting courses. Does anyone know if he has continued this online? I know he hasn't attended a bricks and mortar school. It just seems strange not to have some tangible way to support yourself and a family. An Accounting degree or even community college courses would allow Josiah to be employed. There are plenty of conservative Christian businesses that could hire him if that was a concern. 

It's slightly infuriating how little we actually know about the Duggars!

Just think about the interesting storylines for Counting On it would make to explore the professional or vocational careers the young Duggars follow. Why can't we see them flying planes, managing car lots, taking care of their real estate beyond fixing/renovating, achieving an accounting degree, whatever?

Sometimes I wonder if they feel that these things are too private to share with the world.

I know, it makes little sense considering how open they are when it comes to babies, sex, dry-humping on golf courses (*shudder*), and all the other matters that most people would consider intimate. But could it be that the Duggars themselves don't actually want to share more of their private lives beyond what is related to their purity-and-breeding "ministry"?

Just think about the interesting storylines for Counting On it would make to explore the professional or vocational careers the young Duggars follow. Why can't we see them flying planes, managing car lots, taking care of their real estate beyond fixing/renovating, achieving an accounting degree, whatever?

If the Kidults are pursuing real accredited degrees and a path to truly gainful independent employment, we will never know. To do so flies in the face of everything espoused by JB abd Michelle.

1 hour ago, SweetJuly said:

Sometimes I wonder if they feel that these things are too private to share with the world.

I know, it makes little sense considering how open they are when it comes to babies, sex, dry-humping on golf courses (*shudder*), and all the other matters that most people would consider intimate. But could it be that the Duggars themselves don't actually want to share more of their private lives beyond what is related to their purity-and-breeding "ministry"?

Probably the colleges don't want the film crew there. Or the clients with the real-estate and car lot. Didn't they have to hire an actor to pretend to buy the car from Jinger? They give reference to Ben studying on his lap-top, and doing the work for Jimbob that only involves the family, but anywhere else, and people have to give permission to be filmed, right?

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived