IGNORED

Josiah Duggar: Part 5

laPapessaGiovanna

I've actually had to share the Josh/Anna videos a few times to explain hand sex to someone else. No one understands until they too are scarred for life. 

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I wish barf emojis didn't count as down votes.

The disgust reaction is now neutral, thanks to the recent site modifications by @Curious!

8 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

The disgust reaction is now neutral, thanks to the recent site modifications by @Curious!

Is there a place that explains which ones count as negative/neutral/positive?

Wooster-sher

In New Jersey the only ones I remember people getting wrong were Iselin, Kearny, and Secaucus (Is-lin, karny, and SEE-caw-cus)

There is a Kearney in Nebraska. Also pronounced “Karny”. Outsiders always say it with an “ee” sound.

The other mispronounced towns in Nebraska are Beatrice and Norfolk.

For reasons I do not know, the first is pronounced bee-at-triss.

The second was intended to be “north fork” and someone changed it to Norfolk on a form. The locals say “Nor’Fork”.

18 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

@Georgiana I really like and agree with this point you've made. 

I think this is something that general people and non-fundies go through and it is natural for people to keep some of there parents "ways" and also question some and adapt some and toss some out for your own. These aren't always whole systems of living but often little things and the little things are important and make up a persons over all way of life. (Go to almost any thread on FJ to see examples of this for instance)

Anytime a Duggar kid wears pants or has more lax courtship rules or breaks from a conviction of their parents it attracts attention but sometimes I think it's too easy for them to hide under the media of it all and actually end up saying nothing about their own personal choices or why they decided to do something their  way even if it is a really small thing. 

Like, you don't have to convince me or most people that touching before marriage or wearing pants etc... is not a big deal and isn't what is or isn't going to get you to heaven! But hearing 2nd generation fundies talk about making even the smallest of choices for their lives based on logic or reason or anything resembling independent thinking is important to me.

P.S. Nova Scotian here and I pronounce it NewfinLand, emphasis on the Land.

Just popping in to say I’m a Nova Scotian as well! Although I’m living in Fredericton at the moment :( lol

1 hour ago, Antipatriarch said:

Is there a place that explains which ones count as negative/neutral/positive?

There is but I can't remember where the thread is. Basically upvote, love, laugh, thank and agree are +1. Wtf, Rufus Bless, confused, sad, bless your heart,and now apparently disgust are neutral, and the others are down votes. 

My GPS doesn't seem to have a Quebecois English setting. I can't follow the French setting while driving but the way it mangles french words is appalling.

I was driving SeaFilly2's friend home after a study session at another friends house and it ltold me I need to turn down Sexy Street. It was Sixth Street East. (Six E).

@Sky with diamonds I love our location. It reminds me of Bon Cop, Bad Cop

21 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Oh I think I remember this J&A episode now...and by "hand sex" you guys mean when they were aggressively (what I like to call ) finger twinkling each other in the car for the whole drive? :handsex:  

Who was the poor chaperone who had to be in the back seat for all that? 

I think it was Anna sister,Susanna.

4 hours ago, louisa05 said:
4 hours ago, louisa05 said:

In New Jersey the only ones I remember people getting wrong were Iselin, Kearny, and Secaucus (Is-lin, karny, and SEE-caw-cus)

Iselin?!  You know Iselin?!

4 hours ago, KeepingSweet said:

Just popping in to say I’m a Nova Scotian as well! Although I’m living in Fredericton at the moment :( lol

Grew up in NB, now live in the US. 

9 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

There is but I can't remember where the thread is. Basically upvote, love, laugh, thank and agree are +1. Wtf, Rufus Bless, confused, sad, bless your heart,and now apparently disgust are neutral, and the others are down votes. 

omg i had no idea. i feel bad for downvoting people unintentionally 

5 hours ago, xlurker said:

Iselin?!  You know Iselin?!

I grew up not far. We would pass it on the way to the mall or shore.

On 1/29/2018 at 2:08 PM, clueliss said:

@Audrey2 brought up Nevada - but let's throw the other Missouri oddball in there.  Versailles.  No, not like the palace in France.  

And as a Kansan, I have to throw in El Dorado (not like the car by Cadaliac but El Dor ay do) and Salina (which people seem to try to pronounce more like Saline County Missouri or Salinas California when it is Sa line uh)  

Don’t be forgetting New MADrid, Mo.

Or the Courtois River pronounced CORDaway or the Huzzah River pronounced HOOzah

Its just occurred to me, I can while away some waiting-room hours seeing how Siri pronounces those places. (It’s nice to be easily amused.)

It also occurs that the Arndt accent, just across the river, shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. Heh  

ETA: @clueliss, have you ever enjoyed observing someone trying to figure out the pronunciation of the Kansas town of Olathe?

For those interested, It’s not far from poor Leavenworth (home of Maxwells) and it’s pronounced Oh-LAY-thah with the th being soft like in “through.”   

5 hours ago, artdecades said:

omg i had no idea. i feel bad for downvoting people unintentionally 

I did, too. I couldn't figure out why I was the only one barfing (disgust) until someone mentioned the system. However, it was conveyed to me that people understood the down vote to be against the content, not the person. :output_eeMbjt:

Disgust is neutral now though, as per @Mayluka up thread.

I'd like to use Rufus Bless more often, as a catch all for phrases not listed, but I'm afraid to appear sarcastic, lol. 

On 2018-01-31 at 12:45 AM, singsingsing said:

Also featured is a custom pillow someone had made for Anna with Josh's face on it.

If I was Anna (thank Rufus I’m not!) that pillow would have come in real handy as a punching bag. 

10 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I grew up not far. We would pass it on the way to the mall or shore.

Isn't Metropark in Iselin? I feel like I hear it whenever I take Amtrak

14 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Isn't Metropark in Iselin? I feel like I hear it whenever I take Amtrak

I believe so.

@MamaJunebug April 1981.  I was a student at Olathe High School.  In Band.  We were at the National Cherry Blossom Festival in DC.  When they announced the name of our band in the parade I thought for a moment they said Ottawa not Olathe.  Then realized they missed the pronunciation.  

6 minutes ago, clueliss said:

@MamaJunebug April 1981.  I was a student at Olathe High School.  In Band.  We were at the National Cherry Blossom Festival in DC.  When they announced the name of our band in the parade I thought for a moment they said Ottawa not Olathe.  Then realized they missed the pronunciation.  

....aaaannnnnddddd.... I was there. lmao

On 1/30/2018 at 8:51 PM, HarleyQuinn said:

The absurdity of those photos just made me lol. You straddle that tank, Josiah.

wide stance, baby

20 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Don’t be forgetting New MADrid, Mo.

Or the Courtois River pronounced CORDaway or the Huzzah River pronounced HOOzah

My family's not far from Milan, pronounced MY-lan.

21 hours ago, clueliss said:

Love it! In my case, September 1960, my folks had just moved us from northeast KS to southwestern Illinois. My 8th grade teacher was for some reason reading aloud with us, something about my old area, and he came to “Olathe” and stopped and said, “Junebug?! Help us out, here!”

i felt SO in-the-know!!!

Near where I grew up in Wisconsin, there is a Milwaukee suburb called "New Berlin". However, the "Berlin" is not pronounced the same as Berlin, Germany, which has the emphasis on the second syllable "lin". New Berlin is pronounced with emphasis on the first syllable "Ber". It was always so funny to hear non-native Wisconsinites pronounce it the same as one would say Berlin, Germany. It always sounded so odd. :lol:

21 hours ago, clueliss said:

I used to live in Overland Park, later in Olathe itself. When we moved there the pronunciation of Olathe perplexed my parents. In my experience it confuses anyone who isn't from the KC area.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived