IGNORED

Josiah Duggar: Part 5

laPapessaGiovanna

6 hours ago, Kaylo said:

Ugh yes! I physically react when I hear “Ne-vahhhhh-duh.”

same. wow. I am not a fan of that either! 

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

It seems to me that Jb has searched for the most stereotypical fundie girl  he could find the family circle to keep Josiah near the family and well into the brand.

Marjorie was a mistake look what she doing now!

I was holding out hope that Josiah and Marjorie would end up back together. Her bubbly personality seemed like such a good fit for him! I hope Lauren gets some screen time in the new season - I'm worried she still won't have shown up on the show by the time they get married  :pb_rollseyes:

13 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

It seems to me that Jb has searched for the most stereotypical fundie girl  he could find the family circle to keep Josiah near the family and well into the brand.

Marjorie was a mistake look what she doing now!

Whats she doing?

Weird, I say Nevada (for the state) with a short A but Sierra Nevada (for the mountain range) with a long A.  Maybe because at that point I feel like I'm basically speaking Spanish? 

37 minutes ago, Penelope_Clearwater said:

I was holding out hope that Josiah and Marjorie would end up back together. Her bubbly personality seemed like such a good fit for him! I hope Lauren gets some screen time in the new season - I'm worried she still won't have shown up on the show by the time they get married  :pb_rollseyes:

I doubt Lauren will get screen time in this new season, in "show time" they're still in May-June 2017, showing the run-up to Joken's wedding. Lauren might appear at the end of this season but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see her until the following season. :pb_lol:

13 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

My favourite thing about people not from Newfoundland is watching them try to say Newfoundland like the locals. 

Tourist: New-Found-land. 

*Locals Giggles* 

Tourist: I mean New-Finland

Well, that's as close as you're getting! :P 

That is so true! :my_blush:

I get a kick out of it. I never thought it would be so had for some people to get it right. Then again, I know some pronounce it wrong on purpose.

3 hours ago, Penelope_Clearwater said:

I'm glad it didn't work out with J and Majorie. She would have been nothing but a fundie wife popping out babies every couple of years if things worked out. She has come such a long way since that courtship ended...good for her I say.

2 hours ago, Bethella said:

I doubt Lauren will get screen time in this new season, in "show time" they're still in May-June 2017, showing the run-up to Joken's wedding. Lauren might appear at the end of this season but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see her until the following season. :pb_lol:

Gosh, I wish TLC could catch up. I guess they are trying to stretch the "storylines" out to keep the series going as long as possible. Ridiculous considering how boring the show is.

I didn't read through all the pronunciation comments so forgive me if I am duplicating. 

The street in LA called Wilshire is not pronounced the britishy way, its "will-shur". This one is a little more controversial since some people do insist on pronouncing it the correct, spanish way, but Los Feliz is Los "feel-iss". Hearing it the spanish way just sounds weird.

1 hour ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Gosh, I wish TLC could catch up. I guess they are trying to stretch the "storylines" out to keep the series going as long as possible. Ridiculous considering how boring the show is.

I do feel like his season may have more “new”’ materiaal than the last seasons. We only saw Joy’s house because she filmed a bit, but the renovation is probably on the show, as is both her and Kendra's pregnancy announcement to the family. And ofcourse the wedding but besides the dressshopping I hope they learned their lessen and are cutting down the screentime of preps. 

I still get teased about mispronouncing “Duboce St.” when I moved to San Francisco as a teen. I pronounced it “Due-bo-key” when in reality it’s pronounced “Duh-BOH-ss.”

5 hours ago, karen77 said:

It always amuses me when newscasters say places wrong, recent one was the Tulalip High school shooting

When they moved one of the "local" news to being presented here to a town ~250km away you could tell the presenters weren't local by the way they pronounced 'Manuka' (The area here is pronounced closer to Mah-nah-kah, people not from around here tend to pronounce it Ma-noo-kah like the honey instead).  I am unsure as to whether the presenters pronounciation has been corrected or not.

7 hours ago, karen77 said:

It always amuses me when newscasters say places wrong, recent one was the Tulalip High school shooting

Learning the local pronunciation for places is the hardest part of moving around the country. I grew up in Wisconsin and have no problem with Milwaukee or Mukwanago. Then I moved to Virginia and got Powhatan and Powhite. Next was the Bay Area, which is easy comparatively. Now I’m in the PNW trying to tackle Tulalip and Puyallup. 

3 hours ago, artdecades said:

The street in LA called Wilshire is not pronounced the britishy way, its "will-shur".

That WOULD be the 'britishy' way. It's only Americans who do the hammy 'shy-er' pronunciation at the end of a place name. British counties like Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Wiltshire etc end with a '-shuh'.  Or maybe 'sheer' depending on accent.

Weird pronunciations of place names is a thing in Sweden as well. I hate when my husband says some of the place names around where I grew up, it feels like I have gotten my hand stuck in a grinder hearing him pronounce them in standard Swedish or in his Swedish dialect. I mispronounce the place names where he comes from too but that is just because they can't fucking spell... :pb_biggrin:

I used to work with a woman who always called the Amish, the a-mish and always called Baltimore, Ball-tee-more.  (I've never heard anyone else pronounce it that way.) 

Near where I grew up, there was a town called Nevada, pronounced Ne-vay-dah. To this day, I always have to catch myself in order to say Neh-vah-dah. :pb_lol:

Coming out of 'lurkdom' to post this weird pronunciation of a little village near me in the Northamptonshire countryside.
Farthingstone is  apparently (according to my dad) pronounced FAR-ACK-STUN.

Most people now do pronounce as it looks but he is insistent that the 'correct' pronunciation is the one I've given above.

This village is also near Towcester (toaster) which my boyfriend thinks is hilarious.

My Grandad also has a funny story regarding mis-pronunciation. He once was telling a friend that he had picked up a new antique for free. The response was "Free pounds? Free shillings?". It took a long time for him to be persuaded that my Grandad actually meant that he had paid nothing for it!

Now I live on the Wirral, work in Liverpool and have a Welsh boyfriend so my accent keeps getting more confused by the day!

19 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

So how do you pronounce Worcestershire? 

Wooster-sher

In New Jersey the only ones I remember people getting wrong were Iselin, Kearny, and Secaucus (Is-lin, karny, and SEE-caw-cus)

23 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

So how do you pronounce Worcestershire? 

werchshsurshshshasdhlaksdhakjsdhkajs

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived