IGNORED

Bates 23: Waiting on the Next Wedding

Coconut Flan

The Duggars posted a link to a video Gil made promoting the family conferences. There’s no mention of IBLP/ATI, and the website is familyconferences.org. Sounds like they’re rebranding.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect the not mentioning the Duggars by name is a network thing. Like I was watching Joy's wedding and they definitely never showed Carlin as a bridesmaid. I didn't have wifi and it was the only thing on my iPad so I watched it a lot more closely than I would have otherwise. 

On the latest episode of Counting On, Joy mentioned that her friend tried to teach her how to yodel. She never mentioned her name, but I think it's safe to assume she was talking about Carlin. I agree, it must be a network thing. Jana was one of Michael's bridesmaids and she was never shown on screen either.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:58 PM, RosyDaisy said:

I thought Erin had a chaperone wen she attended Crown.

I remember reading that, but where was that actually said? They wouldn't film that I'm sure. I imagine they arranged she be dropped off and picked up, but yeah, I can't imagine the college would allow that much. Tori came with Erin once to play a duet; was that it?

On 3/3/2018 at 8:01 AM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

The Duggars posted a link to a video Gil made promoting the family conferences. There’s no mention of IBLP/ATI, and the website is familyconferences.org. Sounds like they’re rebranding.

IBLP is on the bottom of that website and ALERT is all over.

On 3/3/2018 at 10:46 AM, Jatalie1996 said:

On the latest episode of Counting On, Joy mentioned that her friend tried to teach her how to yodel. She never mentioned her name, but I think it's safe to assume she was talking about Carlin. I agree, it must be a network thing. Jana was one of Michael's bridesmaids and she was never shown on screen either.

Agree with you all saying it's a probably a thing between the networks keeping them from 'naming  names' in recent years.

But I do think that may have changed post-Duggar show ending and coming back rebranded as CO, didn't it? Like a conscious decision made after the Josh scandal stuff (presumably by UP and that the Bates were either strongly suggested that needed to happen or that Up even insisted on it?) and then it just became reciprocal probably.

Didn't we have them shown (particularly Erin) playing piano for Jill's wedding, at least (and I think also Jessa?) and maybe Carlin and Joy in a van together around the same time and that all being shortly prior to the messiness?

Considering they've skirted around it more successfully in the past, it's ironic in the same week it happened that both shows made what surely the vast majority of the audience knew was a reference to the other family yet with naming them so it felt more 'awkward' almost!

9 hours ago, jakesykora said:

Agree with you all saying it's a probably a thing between the networks keeping them from 'naming  names' in recent years.

But I do think that may have changed post-Duggar show ending and coming back rebranded as CO, didn't it? Like a conscious decision made after the Josh scandal stuff (presumably by UP and that the Bates were either strongly suggested that needed to happen or that Up even insisted on it?) and then it just became reciprocal probably.

Didn't we have them shown (particularly Erin) playing piano for Jill's wedding, at least (and I think also Jessa?) and maybe Carlin and Joy in a van together around the same time and that all being shortly prior to the messiness?

Considering they've skirted around it more successfully in the past, it's ironic in the same week it happened that both shows made what surely the vast majority of the audience knew was a reference to the other family yet with naming them so it felt more 'awkward' almost!

BUB first aired Jan 1st 15 and 19 kids wasn't cancelled until July so I honestly think it was just a network thing and not being able to be on each other's shows. 

Erin/Chad & Alyssa/John had a babymoon with Gil and Kelly at Disney World.

I love roller coasters and other thrill rides, so I don't really see the appeal in making a trip to theme park while I'm pregnant. It's been a LONG time since I've been to Disney World though, so I'm guessing there's a lot to do besides rides? Still, the amount of walking also doesn't sound appealing if you're in your third trimester. :confusion-shrug::lol:

8 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

I love roller coasters and other thrill rides, so I don't really see the appeal in making a trip to theme park while I'm pregnant. It's been a LONG time since I've been to Disney World though, so I'm guessing there's a lot to do besides rides? Still, the amount of walking also doesn't sound appealing if you're in your third trimester. :confusion-shrug::lol:

I talked about this in the Cherin thread but I find it so odd that Kelly and Gil tagged along. 

Erin and Alyssa both look really good!

But a babymoon, with your equally pregnant sister and her husband, and your parents, to Disney World? I'm guessing they probably couldn't go on most rides, and I can't imagine walking around a big theme park would be a lot of fun when your literally weeks away from having a baby.

I laughed pretty hard that the Lady and the Tramp topiary (as cute as it is). They are unmarried doggy lovers that run off together and share a spaghetti enduced kiss. Do they get married before having 4 puppies? Who knows! Not very fundie approved behaviour though is it!

3 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

But a babymoon, with your equally pregnant sister and her husband, and your parents, to Disney World? I'm guessing they probably couldn't go on most rides, and I can't imagine walking around a big theme park would be a lot of fun when your literally weeks away from having a baby.

I laughed pretty hard that the Lady and the Tramp topiary (as cute as it is). They are unmarried doggy lovers that run off together and share a spaghetti enduced kiss. Do they get married before having 4 puppies? Who knows! Not very fundie approved behaviour though is it!

sounds like it was free tickets from  someone Tammy or at least Kelly thanks someone named Tammy for the tickets. the Bates sure have been in Florida a lot over the last few weeks. 

2 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

Have they been before? I'm just wondering how it's like allowed in the cult.

It has to be I mean didn't the duggar's go there in one of their early special's I think 16 kids and on the road. and that's when they were still in very rigid rules.  I also feel like I seen something about Tori and Bobby doing Disney during their courtship. 

13 hours ago, llg1234 said:

I went to Disney for five days during my last pregnancy when I was around 6 months along. It was really fun! I did a ton of rides and waking. It only bothered me around the 4th day and I needed a bit of a break for a few hours.

I don’t think one day at Epcot would be very bothersome! The Flower and Garden Festival That is currently running there is beautiful! We are going in a couple months actually.

8 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

It has to be I mean didn't the duggar's go there in one of their early special's I think 16 kids and on the road. and that's when they were still in very rigid rules.  I also feel like I seen something about Tori and Bobby doing Disney during their courtship. 

John Webster also proposed to Alyssa at a restaurant at Disney - I think it was a Steakhouse. Derick and Jill went to see Cinderella on Broadway when they were doing press in NYC after announcing they were pregnant with Izzy. And I believe Whit and Zach decorated Bradley’s room with Winnie the Pooh (or at least discussed it.)

The standards have been loosening bit by bit for a while. I think the current Board is trying hard to rebrand IBLP into appearing more modern and less cult-like. They still remain a dangerous patriarchal Fundamentalist Christian movement that seems intent on making Biblical Law the law of the land though. 

I'm pretty sure that it was someone on FJ who posted an article or blog to some fundie when the live action Beauty and the Beast was released. It was the blog (I think) of a Christian woman who canceled her family's trip to Disney because of the "gay agenda" of Beauty and the Beast *eye roll*. Disney has long had "Gay Days' in their parks, introduced a same sex couple on their TV show (Good Luck Charlie), and hasn't been shy about supporting the LGBTQ+ community. It doesn't surprise me that they went in the sense that what or who they see at Disney World could be the same nike types of things they would see in a mall, or grocery store, or really any public place. What surprises me about them going is that they don't boycot Disney for their progressive views like some other fundamentalist Christians would.

Then again, I personally believe their morals go out the window when some gifts them something. I don't think their about to say no to anything that's free for them, But I don't think they'd ever spend any money to make sure their younger kids get to have that same experience. 

Growing up, my friends from more hard-edge conservative families were not allowed to watch Disney movies and never went to the park because, I guess, the company wasn't homophobic enough. The only cartoon movies they could watch were, like, The Swan Princess.

I'm surprised that the Bateses and Duggars (and J-Rod) never seemed to be on that train since forbidding random things is their #1 favorite pastime.

I felt like I could barely walk the grocery store parking lot in my third trimester so...Disney World wow! I have one child, a young baby, and I ask myself every single day how the fundies do it. How in the world do they care for so many babies and small children and do their hair nicely, wear makeup and seem so happy? I'm struggling with infant reflux among other issues and I think about the fundies and just...how? How do they afford going to the doctors? Medications? How do they manage to get their kids to all sleep through the night and take naps? I have SO many questions. I'll stop rambling. Sorry.

Disney World, especially Magic Kingdom, doesn't have many thrill rides.  Many of their rides are pregnancy-friendly.

In regards to different rules for the younger kids...

I believe the Josh Duggar scandal really shook this subgroup of Christian hard. It caused them to look closely at their courtship related rules more than anything. I believe the Bates have been more conscious than the Duggars in that they have asked their children to slow down a bit and seem to subliminally let them know that marriage is more than "I like him and her. We make a great fit. Let's hop the altar."

The Bates Valentine's theme, controversy aside, is a direct hit at such ideology. *

This is what we may look like when we're older. Will you still love me then?

* Personally, I think it is brilliantly placed. Helps these kids to get out of their pants/skirts and into their critical thinking skills while choosing a mater.

Also, I think it comes down to parenting dynamics. As parents mature on their own personal journeys and learn from their older children, experience usually aid in them making better decisions.

Btw, I agree Tori looked thirsty AF and anxious beyond this world to get a RING. To me it is totally a status thing for her. I am not sure if she even cared about that man so long as he came with a ring attached to him. She ended up coming off obnoxious by the end of it all.

I bet she was nervous, causing a panicked obsessive respsone

Still, it was difficult to watch.

On 3/5/2018 at 11:08 PM, Kangaroo said:

We did a day at Magic Kingdom during our "babymoon". It's the most "kiddy" of the four main parks so many of the rides are fairly calm and they have shows as well. I probably could have found a good amount of stuff to do at Animal Kingdom and Epcot as well. Honestly the only Disney park a pregnant person probably wouldn't really enjoy is Hollywood Studios.

18 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I felt like I could barely walk the grocery store parking lot in my third trimester so...Disney World wow! I have one child, a young baby, and I ask myself every single day how the fundies do it. How in the world do they care for so many babies and small children and do their hair nicely, wear makeup and seem so happy? I'm struggling with infant reflux among other issues and I think about the fundies and just...how? How do they afford going to the doctors? Medications? How do they manage to get their kids to all sleep through the night and take naps? I have SO many questions. I'll stop rambling. Sorry.

I think the way they do it is by swallowing their emotions.  They are only allowed to express happy emotions.  They are supposed to enjoy and revel in having as many kids as God will allow.  If they aren't sleeping at night and/or the baby is crying all the time they aren't allowed to complain.  This is their lot in life.  God wouldn't give them 3 blessings in 3 years if they couldn't handle it, right??  This is the season of life for endless laundry/diapers/crying children.  I couldn't imagine it.  But I wasn't raised in this toxic cult.

Hugs on the reflux.  Poor munchkin.  My kids were terrible spitters but were generally happy so it was a "laundry problem" more than anything.  My daughter could spew like the exorcist but it didn't really bother her.  My son had to go on the antireflux formula so he wouldn't choke on the spit up at night though.  Hope you and the babe get some relief soon.  I've heard that the bjorn bouncy chair is great for reflux since it's at the perfect angle.  (Not that you necessarily need to buy it, just something I've heard from other parents).  

I honestly can't imagine anything I'd rather do less than go to Disney....(A) while pregnant, and (B) without kids. Seriously to me Disney is one of those places you take your kids to so they can have the experience a couple of times in life....and after that you go on cool vacations.

I'm currently 34w pregnant and there's no way in hell I'd spend the day walking around Disney and not be able to ride any roller coasters. That being said I'm impressed Alyssa is wearing pants with her family. In the past she's made comments about how while they know (obviously) she wears pants she usually still wears dresses/skirts around her family out of respect but clearly she's doing her own thing these days!

Disney was fun. I went once just before I turned 13, and once over my 16th birthday. I'd actually like to return as an adult (with no kids in tow), but once would be enough. Realistically I'd choose to go elsewhere, because if I suddenly accumulated enough money to take a vacation I'd want to make it count, but in a fantasy world where I have unlimited funds, sure, I'd go to Disney again. Alyssa lives pretty close, so I'm guessing it's an easy trip for them.

On 3/5/2018 at 6:47 PM, llg1234 said:

Face palm. You're? Sigh. And "your" teaching "you're" kids English.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived