IGNORED

Bates 23: Waiting on the Next Wedding

Coconut Flan

21 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Does Josie need a chaperone to go to work? They can't possibly be that bad. 

We've often tried to figure out if the unmarried daughters need chaperones to go to class or work. I've always doubted it, even when Erin and Michael were still at home. Now that Gil and Kelly have loosened up even more (or checked out even further, however you want to interpret things) I seriously doubt it's the case. 

I know that chaperoned dates are endorsed by IBLP/ATI, but was there ever a rule that unmarried women should be chaperoned whenever out in public for any reason, a la Saudi Arabia? I mean, we've seen evidence that even Sarah Maxwell goes on short solo excursions. I don't think any of the daughters are going on overnight trips by themselves or partying with their friends in the city all night, but I never got the feeling they had a problem with Carlin making a morning grocery store run or Josie heading to the salon for a shift. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing too snark-worthy about this: the family met up with Mama Jane's sisters. Family reunions with the grandparents' generation is very special. I hope Alyssa got to be there but it doesn't seem like it.

(My great-aunt has a special place in our family- she is a tough old broad who likes to pretend strip at weddings, tells stories about the hoboes who came to her house during the Depression, divorced when it wasn't acceptable to, travels the country with her daughters, and has been smoking over a pack a day for 60+ years-yuck- but is the healthiest person of that generation in the family. Go great-aunts!)

6 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I know that chaperoned dates are endorsed by IBLP/ATI, but was there ever a rule that unmarried women should be chaperoned whenever out in public for any reason, a la Saudi Arabia? I mean, we've seen evidence that even Sarah Maxwell goes on short solo excursions. I don't think any of the daughters are going on overnight trips by themselves or partying with their friends in the city all night, but I never got the feeling they had a problem with Carlin making a morning grocery store run or Josie heading to the salon for a shift. 

The Duggars made quite a big deal about their kids only going out in pairs/groups in some of the earlier seasons (they called it "accountibility partners," IIRC). It's why poor Jana, who was clearly uninterested, had to pretend wanting to become a doula so she could accompany Jill during her midwife studies. However, I strongly suspect they dropped this as more children became adults and it simply became a logistical impossibility. I don't think the Bateses ever said anything about accountibility partners. I don't think they have them, as I don't see how that would be possible from what we've seen/heard of them. Did Michael always have a sibling with her at her nanny job or at community college? Highly doubtful. Do the Bates daughters who attend Clown all take the same classes? Since they all have different majors, it seems unlikely. So yeah, I don't think Josie has anyone there to supervise her. If she did, I doubt she would have ever gotten hired in the first place. What employer would put up with this?

@neurogirl Alyssa was there. See Kelly's post from yesterday:

On 2/19/2018 at 1:10 PM, BeccaGrim said:

Does Josie need a chaperone to go to work? They can't possibly be that bad. 

I've wondered about this too. Maybe she just has someone pick her up and drop her off? If she didn't have a chaperone, she (in theory) could lie and say that she was going to work and just meet up with Kelton instead. How do they deal with something like that?

I have no idea about Erin but I just watched the episode of BUB when Tori is trying to get Carlin to come to Crown college with her. Tori says something like "I also want you to come so I can have someone to hang drive with" which says to me that she did not have a chaperone. 

Having binged a whole bunch of BUB because I am packing and it is good background noise it is very clear that the older Bates kids, much like the older Duggar kids, grew up under very different rules than the younger bunch. The older kids mention that several times. Kelly Jo also said at one point during the Tori and Bobby enter a courtship episode that they have gotten less strict about courtship rules. There used to be a six inches rule which they definitely didn't enforce with Tori because she was all over Bobby before he asked her to court. 

It must be infuriating  to watch your younger siblings run wild with no consequences for things you would have been severely punished for. 

28 minutes ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

I've wondered about this too. Maybe she just has someone pick her up and drop her off? If she didn't have a chaperone, she (in theory) could lie and say that she was going to work and just meet up with Kelton instead. How do they deal with something like that?

The Small-Town Panopticon? They live in the sticks, so it's probably not worth sneaking out on a date and risking running into someone from their church, a family friend, or one of their older siblings. 

Oh, there are plenty of places in the sticks one can sneak off to for some loving. I hope Josie and Kelton find one.

I am thrilled that Josie is actually working outside the home in a career that would let her support herself and even some children if it came to that.  And that Whitney, the other Bates daughter (in-law) working outside the home regularly, publicly supports her in that. 

I enjoy painting my nails black but I am shocked Josie's nails are black... isn't that the work of Satan or something? Seems too sinful for them and too close to the green haired people the family is so afraid of. 

5 hours ago, Casserole said:

I enjoy painting my nails black but I am shocked Josie's nails are black... isn't that the work of Satan or something? Seems too sinful for them and too close to the green haired people the family is so afraid of. 

When I was in middle school in the Bible Belt most girls weren't allowed blue polish let alone black, I'm very surprised the Bates allow black nails. 

On 2/21/2018 at 3:42 PM, Snarfblatt said:

I have no idea about Erin but I just watched the episode of BUB when Tori is trying to get Carlin to come to Crown college with her. Tori says something like "I also want you to come so I can have someone to hang drive with" which says to me that she did not have a chaperone. 

Having binged a whole bunch of BUB because I am packing and it is good background noise it is very clear that the older Bates kids, much like the older Duggar kids, grew up under very different rules than the younger bunch. The older kids mention that several times. Kelly Jo also said at one point during the Tori and Bobby enter a courtship episode that they have gotten less strict about courtship rules. There used to be a six inches rule which they definitely didn't enforce with Tori because she was all over Bobby before he asked her to court. 

It must be infuriating  to watch your younger siblings run wild with no consequences for things you would have been severely punished for. 

My husband was the oldest, and he would get grounded for getting a D and not allowed to see me on weeknights for the semester (high school sweethearts). By the time they got to the last kid there were zero rules. My husband often brought up how different it was for him vrs. his siblings. And now? Our oldest, 24, complains how her youngest sister gets to do so much more than we let her or middle sister. It's weird how we relaxed so much. Not that we are fundies talking about chaperones and courtship rules. More like the age of getting a cellphone and allowed to stay at home alone overnight, etc...

4 hours ago, tumblr said:

When I was in middle school in the Bible Belt most girls weren't allowed blue polish let alone black, I'm very surprised the Bates allow black nails. 

I think nowadays Gil and Kelly aren't really into their older children lives enough to forbid something like black nail polish. A few years back this would have been impossible. Just think about Erin's "girl with green hair" - speech when asked why she wouldn't attend a normal/worldly college.

Agreed! Who knows?! Jed could become so liberal by the time he reaches adulthood or close enough. 

Also @fluffernutter similar to my family, my parents were pretty strict with my eldest sister (and she's still at home, almost 30 and they still ask her where she's going). Me and my twin brother? 50% we tell them we're going to x and they'll just be like okay sure whatever. 50% it's just hey bye we're gone and they sometimes ask but frankly don't really care it's just so interesting to notice as we gotten older.

On 2/25/2018 at 3:29 PM, Casserole said:

Josie might be the one coloring someone's hair green!LOL

That makes me wonder if a bunch of leg humpers book appointments with her? Or if she's trained on coloring hair at all. She might get someone who wants half a shaved head and rainbow highlights! 

Anyone else attempt to watch last night?  I was doing other things and didn't pay close attention but I did see that Kelly recommended Rene's salon because "I have some friends that used it".  Oh really?  Like Tori doesn't know that multiple Duggar brides went there and doesn't know all about how she will customize a dress on short notice?  Not to mention that we can't say that the Duggars go there?  In a real conversation Kelly would say " Joy and Kendra both had great experiences there and got great service/price for doing free publicity, let's try Rene's!" 

@JMO I did watch last night and I thought the same thing about the subtle mention of "friends" that used Rene's. I also think Tori's dress shopping episode when she has to pick the dress, will be as painful to watch as Joy's was. 

I wish the Bringing Up Bates episodes showed up on YouTube the way the Counting On episodes do. It’s harder to work up to a healthy level of snark when you are relying on the Bates family blog recaps. Sigh. First world problems :PLEURE:

The future Carlin-picking-out-her-wedding-dress episode could be epic!  I want tears, screaming and foot stomping. And duck faces and victory signs of course.

7 hours ago, JMO said:

Anyone else attempt to watch last night?  I was doing other things and didn't pay close attention but I did see that Kelly recommended Rene's salon because "I have some friends that used it".  Oh really?  Like Tori doesn't know that multiple Duggar brides went there and doesn't know all about how she will customize a dress on short notice?  Not to mention that we can't say that the Duggars go there?  In a real conversation Kelly would say " Joy and Kendra both had great experiences there and got great service/price for doing free publicity, let's try Rene's!" 

I laughed at that too, we all know who you mean! I also laughed during the Counting On episode when Joy yodels and mentions how her 'friend' yodels and was trying to teach her - we all know she meant Carlin. I really do wonder if it's some weird network thing, but it's not like they're mentioning the show, just the name of their friend.

12 hours ago, HereticHick said:

The future Carlin-picking-out-her-wedding-dress episode could be epic!  I want tears, screaming and foot stomping. And duck faces and victory signs of course.

I really hope it will be available on youtube. This is an episode I don't want to miss.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived