IGNORED

Bates 23: Waiting on the Next Wedding

Coconut Flan

@BeccaGrim I noticed the way Addallee spoke as well, but her voice never sounded like that before and honestly it sounds like she recently got a retainer and is having trouble adjusting to speaking with it.  She had a muffled voice as if something was bothering her palate.  Maybe she had orthodontic work done.  She's at that age. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might be the case. I never really got their fixiation on perfectly straight theeth though. In my country there are only corrections done if the current state will do damage now or in the future. Sometimes they will advise you to wait and rather do it late to see how your mouth changes growing up. I think the reason is that a lot of scientists said that a perfectly geometrical straight set of theeth is not natural and if there are unneeded treatments it can affect the health badly. Something about bite and headaches. But medical advices change so maybe I am 15 years behind?

The Bates had their Valentine's Day celebration this weekend. The theme was "Growing Old Together" for all of the couples. Lawson's dumb face is cracking me up.

Carlin and Evan

Spoiler

Oh wow, Carlin would look GORGEOUS with short hair!! Color me jealous...not everyone can pull off that look! :)

12 hours ago, bananabread said:

Oh wow, Carlin would look GORGEOUS with short hair!! Color me jealous...not everyone can pull off that look! :)

But but but how would you know she was female? Oh, the confusion?!!

Straight teeth is definitely an American thing. Hard to get a job in some industries here without them.  Says the woman with 3 kids in orthodontic care at the same time. AHHH. Paying for them....

Am I the only one bothered by the theme?  Maybe I'm BEC.  It's a sweet thought but the execution irritates me. 

On 2/3/2018 at 6:35 PM, JMO said:

@BeccaGrim I noticed the way Addallee spoke as well, but her voice never sounded like that before and honestly it sounds like she recently got a retainer and is having trouble adjusting to speaking with it.  She had a muffled voice as if something was bothering her palate.  Maybe she had orthodontic work done.  She's at that age. 

It did. I was bored and had down time this past weekend and watched a few episodes from past seasons. Addee doesn’t talk much (at least on screen) which is I guess why it was easy to miss but now that I was expecting it I noticed she has talked like this in multiple episodes from seasons past.

Hope all is well though.

1 hour ago, Seculardaisy said:

It did. I was bored and had down time this past weekend and watched a few episodes from past seasons. Addee doesn’t talk much (at least on screen) which is I guess why it was easy to miss but now that I was expecting it I noticed she has talked like this in multiple episodes from seasons past.

Hope all is well though.

Doesn't Addee have a hearing problem?

14 hours ago, JMO said:

Am I the only one bothered by the theme?  Maybe I'm BEC.  It's a sweet thought but the execution irritates me. 

I agree. There was quite a lot of discussion about the appropriateness of it on the Carlin/Evan thread. I’m one of those that thought it was problematic. 

7 hours ago, Hisey said:

Doesn't Addee have a hearing problem?

I explained on the last page, but Addee was born prematurely at home and suffered complications. Her heart and breathing stopped, so she was rushed to NICU where she had a 17 day stay. Based off the 2011 article I found for my prior post, she has some hearing problems as a result, but is otherwise a pretty healthy kid - which is fantastic when you consider all the health issues she could have faced as a preemie and due to her heart and breathing stopping. 

I just watched the chili episode and the Bates said Addee’s birth complications were due to Kelly having Beta Strep. Addee stopped breathing for six minutes according to Gill. They didn’t mention prematurity, did they say she was premature somewhere else? It’s weird that somebody would attempt a home birth with a premature labor. I wasn’t even allowed to use the Alternative Birth Center before 37 weeks. And normally you get a Beta Strep test, so that antibiotics can be administered during labor. So either Kelly’s physician (midwife?) at the time didn’t test her or the labor went too quickly for her to make it to a hospital and get the proper antibiotics. Edit: I just read that article that @VelociRapture posted where it states Addallee was born early, either the writers got it wrong or the Bates for some reason decided to leave that out when discussing why Addee got sick after birth. (This is just speculation but maybe they don’t think that’s why she ended up in the NICU or they didn’t want people to blame them for having a premature baby at home?)

They did not mention any hearing issues in this episode.

I normally hate creative spellings of names but the meaning of Addallee’s is genuinely sweet. Gil did well with that. 

And finally, because it’s in this episode - how the fork did Kelly have nineteen kids without knowing that the elastic band inside of kid’s pants is to tighten them. Wtf.

And not related to Addee or this episode - I have the same progesterone issue that Kelly has. I have to insert progesterone vaginally during pregnancy to sustain my pregnancies. (I didn’t always.) We discovered this after I suffered a miscarriage. I feel her pain, it’s a stressful thing to experience. You spend your whole first trimester wondering if you’re going to lose the baby, progesterone hasn’t been widely studied for its effectiveness. So it’s kind of just “try this pill, it might work.” My progesterone did always go up once I started the pills but my number was still always on the lowest end of normal possible.

Count me in for thinking this whole dressing up as old people was just very insensitive and stupid. That was my very first reaction when seeing those pics and I was glad to see it echoed when I immediately came over here to see what everybody else was thinking :my_heart:

On a related note, has this picture been discussed anywhere yet? Taryn Yager and her softener strike again :pb_lol: 

9 hours ago, BunnyBee said:

Am I the only one cringing watching Tori be so pushy about engagement in this episode??? 

Made such a big deal out of it only to at the end say she didn't look right wearing it and make a big deal out of that!  Bobby should have taken the darn ring back :')

I thought she was so aggravating. Ring. Ring. Ring. Did she want Bobby or the ring?  And I thought it was hysterical how Carlin was all "I bet you will be first Josie" and Josie responds with "Nope, I'm young."  

I wonder if she was pushy because she's like "WOOT finally get to leave this zoo of a family!!". But I agreed, I was thinking wouldn't you just want to be surprised?

This episode shows that they clearly know they are going to be proposed to and that they even have a very good idea  about when. The only surprise is how big of a show the guys make of it.

Romance much....NOT!

And I am convinced that this was the same with the other girls. I find it very sad that the proposal doesn’t seem to get the intention for itself but it is all about how much effort the guy made. Probably because when they start courting they are already more or less engaged.

I will admit that I hate over the top proposals and when the topic came up I made that perfectly clear. For me it is an intimate moment and all about love and a serious commitment. If someone makes it a big show I feel like it misses seriousness. Married for almost 9 years now- so Prince Charming was a good listener. And we were very young (21+24) so I don’t excuse that with age because we were definitely not more mature than others then.

Not my cup of tea, but I don’t think their way is necessarily indicative of immaturity or frivolity. There are plenty of people of all ages who would enjoy an over-the-top proposal. 

12 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Not my cup of tea, but I don’t think their way is necessarily indicative of immaturity or frivolity. There are plenty of people of all ages who would enjoy an over-the-top proposal. 

I agree.

I personally, would HATE an elaborate proposal and I especially wouldn’t want my family at my proposal. It seems too personal to me.

But I also eloped haha!

That said, I don’t really think elaborate proposals are the worst thing the Bates family does. Their show would be ten times more boring without them and I think they know it.

What I would really hate about the proposals as a Bates family member is that it has to make a TV episode.  So there has to be some way of dragging out drama for an hour.  That would be SO tedious for me.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:26 AM, BeccaGrim said:

I thought she was so aggravating. Ring. Ring. Ring. Did she want Bobby or the ring?  And I thought it was hysterical how Carlin was all "I bet you will be first Josie" and Josie responds with "Nope, I'm young."  

I predict Josie will be married soon, and before Carlin regardless of what she said.  I’m pretty sure Kelton doesn’t want to wait too long to have sex.

Even if she doesn’t feel ready, I imagine the pressure would be difficult to resist.

17 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

This episode shows that they clearly know they are going to be proposed to and that they even have a very good idea  about when. The only surprise is how big of a show the guys make of it.

It makes sense, since the courtship rules dictate that you have to schedule an appointment with Dad to ask for permission to propose to your gf, get your pastor to pray for you, and all sorts of other ostentatious stuff. It's probably hard to conceal.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived