IGNORED

Miriam's big American adventure

brokenminded

I've been watching the series following Miriam Margolous. [Please correct my spelling of her name] In the final episode she traveled through Texas and stayed with a family called Flanders. Fudie alarm bells all over. 12 kids. Wll of photos with the quiver quote above. A Tedd Tripo book amoungst their religious reading. They were not skirts only but homeschooled. Miriam liked the family but made the mum cry when she talked about not agreeing with religion. 

Edited to add I have found a blog

http://lovinglifeathome.com

Their oldest daughter is a dentist so its hard to stick them with all the other fundies. Although they seem fairly fundie. All the adult kids are in medical related fields. 

I swear I read about them on FJ.  Not in their own thread though -- references to them somewhere in another thread  I think.

They do seem fairly fundie -- homeschooling, no birth control, woman's role is in the home, etc. They're just fundie with lots of money so it's waaaaay easier to have 12 kids than it is for the average hubby-works 3-jobs-barely- making-ends-meet fundies.

Of the fundies we discuss, they seem like the most normal and one's I'm least worried.  In behaviour more conservative christian as opposed to fundy.

Kids get good educations - all above 16 are either in junior college/proper uni (not fundy uni) or have degrees and are working in professional roles.  Oldest girl is working as a proper dentist.  Younger ones all have comments about academics in their bio (even the 5 year old is noted to insist on doing spellings with the ones near her in age and keeping up).

Their 8 year old boy is a vegetarian who is allowed to be a vegetarian and likes cooking.  Another of their boys loves shopping in Target.

The one who gives me the biggest fundie vibes is the oldest boy - married with 6 boys and expecting number 7 with a stay at home wife.

And speaking of Bethany, the Flanders mother said: " She finished her third half-marathon this year and was in her ninth wedding (“always a bridesmaid, never a bride”). She loves her work as a pediatric dentist (especially oral surgery), but would give it up in a heartbeat if the right guy ever showed up to make her a wife and a mommy."

That is so sad and heartbreaking and disgusting. No matter how many hours you have spent, studying and building your carrier, you have to give up when a proper man snap his fingers and ask for your hand.....

Fundies can come in all styles. My brother's fiancé is a teacher comes from a heavy IFB fundie family but they made ALL their kids go to college and work. But still very fundie in most other ways.

4 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I swear I read about them on FJ.  Not in their own thread though -- references to them somewhere in another thread  I think.

Yes, the mom (and the blog) look super familiar. I'm thinking she maybe has a long backstory about serious health problems? I'm on my phone and can't find it right now.

@kak this episode was really good. She also attempted to interview the KKK, they refused and she had to interview by proxi a pastor who wouldn't let her in the room as he believes Jews are satanic. We don't get much stuff on UK tv about people with views like this very often. Lewis Theroux or the person who spent six months I think with The Andersons were the last shows I recall that were not American imports.

I feel so bad for Bethany. How embarrassing for your mother to put in the family Christmas letter that you are still single and basically desperate to get married. The only good thing is that at least she gets to be out in the world and working and not stuck at home waiting for "Prince Charming".

I wouldn’t put too much into the mom’s comment that her daughter would give it all up to be a wife and mother. That may be what mom wants and her daughter just lets her live the fantasy. Or the mom is just trying to keep up fundy appearances. My mom would have loved for me to be a nun, even though I would be kicked out the convent for being too loud. There is no reason to believe the daughter automatically wants to give it all up to be a fundy wife. Besides, what fundy husband is going to be able to make the kind of money she is pulling in? Hell, he would probably want her to keep bring in the big bucks. It’s women like the daughter which would lead me to believe they would be less likely to be happy with a traditional fundy husband. She has a kick ass job and has to extremely smart to get there, what would she have in common with most of these fundy men we talk about on these boards? I wouldn’t be surprised if she is out dating living a normal life while mom thinks she is saving her first kiss for marriage. 

Archived