IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 1: Here We Go Again

Coconut Flan

47 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

They said that they met 4 or 5 years ago, not that they became special friends 4 or 5 years ago.  We don't know when they showed a romantic interest in one another. Joy and Austin knew each other for many years before courting and I don't remember anyone calling his interest in her creepy. How is this different?

Yeah. There is a lot that is "off" about these people, but I don't think this is necessarily off. Just because they met at that age doesn't mean they became involved at that age. It's just when they first became aware of each other's existence.  My fiance's parents first met when she was 9 and he was 13 - he was a friend of her older brother. Nothing happened until 10 years later when they were 19 and 23. They hadn't seen each other for years because he and the brother went away to study after high school and then "remet" on the graduation day as they did the same degree and finished on the same day. 

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was creepy regardless. I assumed they didn’t start phase one dating at that point, however, they both mentioned how they noticed each other and neither one qualified it with how they started phase one dating later on.  She JUST turned 18.

Kelton had to be around for awhile, he introduced Bobby to Tori.

I once dated a guy who was 12 years older than me. I was 19 at that time and he was 31. It actually wasn't creepy at all and I still like to think back to this time. Eventually we broke up because I moved to another city to start studying and we wanted different things for our future. He was ready to have children and settle down and I was leaving my hometown for the first time. We were both really sad that our timing sucked so badly. We are still in touch today, he has a family and seems to be really happy and I.. nevermind.

Anyway. We first met when I was 11 or 12 (he was working at my familys favourite pub), but didn't realize the other one existed in any "other" way until I turned 19. From then on it was whirlwind... sweet memories.

19 hours ago, melon said:

..she was 8,he was 16.He waited until she was older to court her,probably 9 years,at least because she was 19 when she had her first child.Do you find that creepy?

Was he attracted to her at 8? I would find a teen being attracted to a child creepy, but if he just saw her as a child and didn't think thoughts of marriage or dating until she was older, then no, that wasn't creepy. 

The way that it was written made it seem that he'd decided he was interested in her at that age. If that is not the case then no its not creepy.  But active interest in a 13 year old by an 18 year old is creepy, to me. That's a freshman starting college liking a girl at her bat mitzvah.  In my opinion. 

Perhaps they’re just trying to dissuade us of the notion that they barely know each other. They met years ago!  Nothing quick about this at all!

4 hours ago, Fascinated said:

Perhaps they’re just trying to dissuade us of the notion that they barely know each other. They met years ago!  Nothing quick about this at all!

Speaking of quick, I was reading FJers predictions for the Bates family, written just last summer. A huge amount has happened since then! People were saying, "I think Tori will get married.. . Erin will wait to get pregnant again, maybe Carlin will meet someone but the other girls are too young. . . "

I'm on the fence about Katie. On one hand, I can see Kelly "placing it on her heart to wait a few years before courting" (keeping her home to help with her younger siblings). On the other hand, I can see her doing what I perceive Joy Anna Duggars doing- finding someone to marry to get out of Dodge.

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

On the other hand, I can see her doing what I perceive Joy Anna Duggars doing- finding someone to marry to get out of Dodge.

That's an interesting thought. Once Carlin and Josie move out (which is only a matter of months now, unless one of them has a broken courtship), Katie really won't have anyone she's close with, will she? Her closest-age siblings left at home will be the three middle boys, and I doubt she has much in common with 13 to 15-year-old boys. I do think that will make her want to get out of Batesville that much faster.

ETA: Has Katie ever been shown to be close to Trace? He's not too much older, although the show always lumps him in with Lawson and Nathan.

If Carlin and Josie leave within the next 6-9 months I can totally see that there will be another fundie maiden which will move in with them. Just like Chad's sister seems to have done already. That would give Katie some more company and help to get the homeschooling and housekeeping done.

I hope being the last older girl at home doesn't prevent Katie from going to Clown college. It's not the real thing, but better than nothing.

35 minutes ago, ophelia said:

I hope being the last older girl at home doesn't prevent Katie from going to Clown college. It's not the real thing, but better than nothing.

You raise a very good point. Katie is in this odd position where she hasn't got a sister chaperone, let alone a male sibling close enough in age also going to "college".

She's 18 this year, but Jackson will only be turning 16 (and may not even plan to go to college).

I agree, they'll probably be getting a live in fundie daughter to keep Katie's accountability.

Josie was Zach and Whitney's chaperone,at 13?If Katie does meet someone special,there's Addalee,her older brothers,Nathan,Lawson,Trace..if they aren't busy.In one episode,the three youngest girls were chaperones for Tori.

My grandparents met at a roller rink when she was 13 and he was 18. They dated for 6 years starting then, and while my grandma finds that really weird in today's world she said it wasn't that weird at the time and "nothing untoward happened." This is also the same gma that absolutely refuses to let couples share a room until married at family gatherings, so I believe her. My grandpa, who was a farm boy-turned construction worker and only had a middle-school education, also wouldn't marry my grandmother until she finished high school. Gma told me she felt like an old maid because all her friends were dropping out of high school to get married and she didn't get married until 19!!!! (the horror) But my grandparents turned out pretty cute. They both worked and raised 5 children, and valued education and good partnerships for their children and grandchildren. 

So clearly I'm super biased, but I don't find it that creepy, especially since people get squicky mainly about physical things, but this couple is doing none of that. Once the stay-at-home daughters reach sister-mom age, their life and maturity level is essentially the same until they get married. As we were saying with Carlin, even if she waited two more years to get married, she would be living in the same house with the same rules and strict supervision and expected comportment, and would be no more mature than if she marries this year. So while I would never advocate early marriage for these stay-at-home daughters almost surely destined to be broodmares, the age difference in interest isn't weird if they waited to start courting until her late teens. 

I am sorry if I missed it and someone mentioned it already. 

So Kelton refers to his tool belt as the Mac Daddy tool belt in one of the video promos. So my mind went to a place confirmed by urban dictionary after. Head Pimp. Or Wozniak and Jobs. 

I wonder if anyone was around to explain to him not to use it maybe in the future...

Maybe we will get a "The Thug life chose me," or "refer to someone as a Baller," out of the next suitor.  

It is like the Duggars and thier rock and roll sign of the horn phase. Half the time they seem to get the sign for "love" correct and half the time they were pledging allegiance to Ozzy Osborne or the devil. I always thought of Ozzy.  

And c'mon the producers know and intentionally put it in there. BUB is still figure 8 films I believe. But keep it up it gives me a smile.

JBjork_HandSignals_SignOfTheHorns_1000.thumb.png.768b388ca929a26b3b60d2a8d6dabb2b.png

14 hours ago, ophelia said:

according to Lily and Ellie, "Katie Bates is in her last semester of high school and started dual enrollment classes at Crown."

I don’t think there will be a big problem when Katie is the only one left/ finds her way into a courtship soon. 

The said truth, as I see it: Addallee will be 12, Ellie 11 and Callie 9 this year. That is old enough for a lot of the housework in this household. Their sisters already were mums at this time. The youngest is 5 soon to be 6. Apart from driving to go shopping there is really nothing they (and their brothers) cannot do. I think Kelly might go back and invest a bit more time in supervising their computer schooling but apart from that not so much will change,

17 hours ago, Dr. Fundie Stalker said:

So Kelton refers to his tool belt as the Mac Daddy tool belt in one of the video promos. So my mind went to a place confirmed by urban dictionary after. Head Pimp. Or Wozniak and Jobs. 

I feel like the Bates kids just think those type of things sound cool without pondering their meanings too much. Carlin mentioned having a t shirt that said "thug life" once too iirc

It's pretty impressive when you consider the Botkins, Maxwells, et al, with the notable exception of Jana, the Bates and Duggars have married/paired off ALL of their of-age daughters. 

Perhaps this was an intended/unintended byproduct of all the free "advertisement" from their shows. 

• 1 month later...

So Josie posted a picture of her and Kelton sitting on a porch after an ice cream date. Josie gave a bit of a Carlin vibe in that picture with the way she is posed. 

2 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Kelton also posted a pic today:

those heels I just know I'd fall and break my neck in those. 

Younger, blonder, Alyssa 2.0.  Her style doesn't stick out to me as particularly fundy.  If she played her cards right, with her hairdressing background and cute style, she could monetize her IG for some extra cash.  

This is a completely irrelevant, fluffy post, but I just have to say that I think Josie is drop-dead gorgeous and I also really love her style. She never makes me think "this looks nice for a fundie" or "that's a cute outfit considering their modesty standards." I just love almost everything she wears, period.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived