IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 1: Here We Go Again

Coconut Flan

What would Gil and Kelly think if Carlin threatens to kiss/make out with Evan as a means to give him permission to propose? Would that cause Gil to OK it and put them on the fast track, or do something that might cause her to run away and elope? 

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Mela99He works for a plumbing company:

Plumbing (and other trades) can be a pretty solid career choice. There’s likely always going to be a demand for those types of services.

18 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

What's Balki do again? Cleaning service ? I can't keep track of who does what.

(And I will forever refer to him as Balki. Perfect Strangers. That's all I can hear when I see his name6

He works in plumbing.

Alyssa and John have a cleaning service.

8 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Plumbing (and other trades) can be a pretty solid career choice. There’s likely always going to be a demand for those types of services.

Agree it seems solid, especially if he's growing the business.  I'm still not sure what Zoolander does, what his future prospects are, or how much money Carlin might bring in by yodeling.

Kelton seems very young, but essentially nice.  Zoolander and Carlin both strike me as attention seeking and immature.  I don't have a good vibe about the two of them long-term.

1 minute ago, Dandruff said:

I'm still not sure what Zoolander does, what his future prospects are, or how much money Carlin might bring in by yodeling.

IIRC he's an office worker in a medical office. There have been instagram images of his desk being decorated (for his birthday?)

1 minute ago, Bethella said:

IIRC he's an office worker in a medical office. There have been instagram images of his desk being decorated (for his birthday?)

Thanks, yes, but I'm wondering what his actual skills are and what he'd be able to do if his office closed.

1 hour ago, Bethella said:

Carlin also sent pizza to his office one day (Erin suggested it) and the office employees dressed up on Halloween:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

Thanks, yes, but I'm wondering what his actual skills are and what he'd be able to do if his office closed.

I’m not sure. He could be doing reception work or data entry or something. I’d assume he’d look for a similar job if his current position didn’t work out.

I am not a huge fan of Kelton, (he sends off major douche vibes), however, he is a licensed plumber who is working for his uncles company. He said he is working 50% plumbing 50% office work since graduation.  He is in much better shape career-wise than any of the other guys.  I’m sure he is considered quite a catch in their world.

Regardless, Josie is too young.

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

23 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m not sure. He could be doing reception work or data entry or something. I’d assume he’d look for a similar job if his current position didn’t work out.

I went back to look at Evan's old instagram posts. In this post he tags NorthCrest Medical Center, an 81-bed hospital in Springfield, TN (they also have satellite clinics). It's still really hard to tell what he's doing there. Based on the office setup I'd suspect some type of administrative duties (no barriers to protect patients' confidential information and not the best setup for data entry) but it seems to be a real job that would have transferable skills. http://www.northcrest.com/

8 hours ago, Kaylo said:

If the Bates parents really love those girls, they will slow Carlin and Evan down. She is no where near mature enough for marriage, and he is icky. Though she is younger, Josie and Kelton seem so much older. They both have trades and can earn a good living. Carlin is a squealing teenager.

Carlin behaves like an annoying teenager in every episode. It is cringe-worthy. And I have been catching up on episodes and I have never heard anyone say the word "like" so much. It is soooo annoying. She shouldn't be getting married. And that boy is so creepy. Josie and what's his name seem light years ahead of them in terms of being ready for grown-up life 

I'm already sick of Josie and Kelton's courtship, and it is just starting to be shown on TV and Instagram. 

Who knows, maybe they started hanging out before Carlin and Evan got together. The way TV shows things isn't always the way it happens in real life.

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Work at a different office?

I worked for years as a receptionist, when I left that job I got an even better admin job. The career choice isn’t something to scoff at and you can do well, particularly if you have experience. I work part-time now and still make a decent income.

33 minutes ago, seasonsoflife said:

Carlin behaves like an annoying teenager in every episode. It is cringe-worthy. And I have been catching up on episodes and I have never heard anyone say the word "like" so much. It is soooo annoying. She shouldn't be getting married. And that boy is so creepy. Josie and what's his name seem light years ahead of them in terms of being ready for grown-up life 

To be fair, Carlin acts like an annoying teenager because she IS an annoying teenager. She turns 20 this April. I’m guessing she partly acts this way because it can be hard getting attention in a sea of kids. Having a big personality could have been a way for her to get the attention she wanted/needed from her parents when she was younger. 

23 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

To be fair, Carlin acts like an annoying teenager because she IS an annoying teenager. She turns 20 this April. I’m guessing she partly acts this way because it can be hard getting attention in a sea of kids. Having a big personality could have been a way for her to get the attention she wanted/needed from her parents when she was younger. 

I see your point but she acts like a 14-year-old, not a 19-year-old. I don't know, she just annoys me to no end. Much more than the others. 

I just graduated college and I remember Nasty 19th Birthday parties. Carlin probably has the same emotional maturity as the 19 year old college freshmen who binge drink every weekend. Very few 19 year olds in fundie and secular society are ready for marriage at their stage of life, and Carlin is not an exception, but she is certainly not more or less mature than me at 19 or most of the other 19 year olds I knew, we were just immature in a different way

1 hour ago, wandering woman said:

I'm already sick of Josie and Kelton's courtship, and it is just starting to be shown on TV and Instagram. 

Who knows, maybe they started hanging out before Carlin and Evan got together. The way TV shows things isn't always the way it happens in real life.

That's very possible. The Balkas are friends of the Bates and I think it's Kelton who introduced Bobby to Tori. Would not be at all surprised to find out that they've been special friends for a few years already.

I am more hopeful for Josie and Kelton's courtship than Carlin and Evan. Both Josie and Kelton have finished their post secondary degree and/or program. Both of them look as though they enjoy the careers they have chosen. I would feel a little better if Evan (and Carlin) had a little better career outlook or even a career goal. Saying all that, I predict a double wedding late this summer or in early fall. I also predict Carlin and Evan move closer to Evan's family and she joins their family musical ministry.

I can't watch the BUB episodes since I'm overseas, so I've barely watched Kelton (or Josie). Since I've a day off I spent my breakfast watching the short videos on the BUB webpage. Kelton seems like the stereotypic high school "cool" senior while Josie is seriously a tiny doll stereotypic high school freshman. I also found it interesting that she compared him to Chad, and that she found it reassuring that he could provide for her. I can't remember how old she was when the family was really struggling financially, my guess not old enough to feel that she could help, but old enough to understand and feel bad that she couldn't help (like her older siblings?)

I hope they are happy together. 

Edit: Been watching the old episodes available on UP. OMG, Whitney has changed. 

2 hours ago, Thorns said:

also found it interesting that she compared him to Chad, and that she found it reassuring that he could provide for her.

That is interesting. I can't fault her for finding someone that will provide for her. So definitely not picking a guy like dad? 

I speculate that the way of the grift left a few emotional scars and uncertainties  perhaps. 

18 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Do people really think Carlin has that much pull in the family that she wouldn't "let" Josie get married first? Serious question. I mean Josie is already done with school and licensed in her profession, whereas I believe Carlin still has two years left? Josie may be younger but she seems to be in a better place than Carlin to get married. Although I could see Carlin pulling an Alyssa and dropping out the second she gets engaged.

Carlin seems obnoxious and domineering enough to demand/make it so that she gets married first. 

I forgot about Kelton‘s mum. Losing a parent unexpectedly can put you in a very bad place. I have been there and sometimes still are. So I can totally understand why someone would be drawn even more into the answers a cult gives you to make sense of this tragic. It might help with the very dark feelings that can arise in someone. 

This isn’t what happened to me, I took a different path but I can empathise why someone might go down this route. 

Kelton doesn’t give me overly strict vibes like Brandon for example. More like someone who is comfortable with the way he was raised and didn’t question it. But without much fire to make an extra effort. From a superficial look he seems to be more like another Chad to me. In the being handy kind of way. (I still think Chad is patriarchal af) I wonder if he thinks about setting up his own plumbing company at one point. Professional training and a degree in financing at least prepare him for this opportunity.

10 hours ago, seasonsoflife said:

I see your point but she acts like a 14-year-old, not a 19-year-old. I don't know, she just annoys me to no end. Much more than the others. 

Lol! She annoys me too, but I don’t think she’s much more immature than the average 19 year old to be honest. She just has a very extroverted, outgoing, and loud personality that makes it more obvious. 

There are definitely 18 and 19 year olds out there who are ready for marriage (Alyssa for example), but I don’t think Carlin is necessarily one of them. I sympathize with her a bit though because marriage is really the one way she’ll be considered an adult and enjoy the perks that come along with it. 

14 hours ago, Mela99 said:

What's Balki do again? Cleaning service ? I can't keep track of who does what.

(And I will forever refer to him as Balki. Perfect Strangers. That's all I can hear when I see his name6

Are you referring to Kelton Balka? He's a licensed plumber  [and has a PA from Pensacola Christian]  with his family plumbing company: https://www.theplumbingauthority.com/  Its a pretty impressive website.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived