IGNORED

Questions about community reputation

Plexus31Wife

Hi, 

I have two questions about how users are displayed on the forums here. First, I've noticed that usernames are sometimes different colors (I think mine is green, others are I think red or coral). What does that signify? I usually view the forum on my phone, if there's a different display setup on desktop. 

Second, what causes community reputation points to go up or down, and what are the different levels of reputation? Mine is neutral, for example, and it would be neat to know what that means. 

Explaining the different colors: http://www.freejinger.org/faq/1-site-related-questions/#elQuestion-7

Community reputation is based on people up-voting or down-voting your posts. There are 5 "positive" votes, 5 "neutral" votes, and 5 "negative" votes.

• Positive (adds one point to total reputation): Upvote, Love, Thanks, I agree, Ha Ha
  • Neutral (no effect on reputation): WTF, Rufus Bless, Bless Your Heart, Sad, Confused
  • Negative (subtracts one point from total reputation): Down vote, Fuck You, Move Along, Disgust, Angry
  • Thank You 4

• 2 years later...

1)  It's odd to me that angry, for example, is a negative towards the member.     On this site, I often so appreciate commenters that bring forward facts about particular fundies, although  the issue brought forward  angers me.       

I would like to be free to be angry at the fundie ignorance without that being seen as anger at the person who brought the information forward, or for my saying I'm angry to negatively affect the member's reputation..

2)    FYI, the link above (in Bethella's post) to question 7 in the FAQ about the meaning of colour-coding comes up with the error message below:

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you requested does not exist

Error code: 1S160/2

Edited by Toto2
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Toto2 said:

1)  It's odd to me that angry, for example, is a negative towards the member.     On this site, I often so appreciate commenters that bring forward facts about particular fundies, although  the issue brought forward  angers me.       

Right, I guess I didn't realize Disgust was negative.  I sometimes use Disgust because of the topic and it's not directed towards the poster.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Toto2 said:

I would like to be free to be angry at the fundie ignorance without that being seen as anger at the person who brought the information forward, or for my saying I'm angry to negatively affect the member's reputation..

2)    FYI, the link above (in Bethella's post) to question 7 in the FAQ about the meaning of colour-coding comes up with the error message below:

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you requested does not exist

Error code: 1S160/2

The link is broken.   It is something we're aware of and will address.

The rules and guidelines are available in the FAQ in the meantime:

• Admins - site administrators
    • Shunned - banned members
    • FJ Writers - contributors to group FJ blogs
    • Charter Members - contributors to the move from Yuku
    • Helpmeets - mods
    • In The Prayer Closet - restricted status
    • Apostate - currently inactive members eligible for reactivation
    • Journey to the Heart - restricted status 
    • Lists - maintains site related lists 
    • Media Relations/Advisory - media relations
    • The Elderly - active members
    • Monarch of Snark - previous winners of the now defunct post of the week contest
    • Kidults - members who have joined within the last two weeks
    • Patron of Snark - contributors under the previous ownership
    • Resources - maintains blogger list
    • Social Media - manage FJ Facebook, Twitter, etc.
    • Tech Support  - forward-facing technical support
    • Tech Team - backend technical support
    • Timeline - maintain various FJ timelines
    • Wiki Team - working on FJ wiki
    • Cult of the Coloring Minions - colorists with access to post on the coloring blog
    • Judas - Restricted status

• Thank You 1

I’m pretty sure Disgust is no longer negative.  Early on, many users wanted to apply it to the content of the post, not the member.  It’s common and generally accepted to use reactions outside of their original meanings; that’s what happens with Angry.  But you can tell from context how it’s being directed, and people who post things that get Angry are aware that it’s for the content. That being said, reputation points are pretty much meaningless and most of us really don’t care about them, since everyone has a right to their own opinion.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

On 1/21/2018 at 12:14 PM, Bethella said:
  • Positive (adds one point to total reputation): Upvote, Love, Thanks, I agree, Ha Ha
  • Neutral (no effect on reputation): WTF, Rufus Bless, Bless Your Heart, Sad, Confused, Disgust
  • Negative (subtracts one point from total reputation): Down vote, Fuck You, Move Along, Disgust, Angry

I made a correction to @Bethella 's post - Disgust is neutral not negative.

3 minutes ago, catlady said:

I’m pretty sure Disgust is no longer negative.  Early on, many users wanted to apply it to the content of the post, not the member.  It’s common and generally accepted to use reactions outside of their original meanings; that’s what happens with Angry.  But you can tell from context how it’s being directed, and people who post things that get Angry are aware that it’s for the content. That being said, reputation points are pretty much meaningless and most of us really don’t care about them, since everyone has a right to their own opinion.

Beat me too it on the disgust category!

And she is correct - people use different reactions and it's generally pretty clear on what is intended.

(Except for Rufus Bless for me...I have a weird block where I see it negative but most don't and people have assigned a plethora of meanings to that one, which cracks me up.)

She is also correct in that most people don't care about reputation score.  For me it's only telling if it's negative, because you have to work pretty hard here to get a negative cumulative score since people freely toss around upvotes and such.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I made a correction to @Bethella 's post - Disgust is neutral not negative.

Beat me too it on the disgust category!

And she is correct - people use different reactions and it's generally pretty clear on what is intended.

(Except for Rufus Bless for me...I have a weird block where I see it negative but most don't and people have assigned a plethora of meanings to that one, which cracks me up.)

She is also correct in that most people don't care about reputation score.  For me it's only telling if it's negative, because you have to work pretty hard here to get a negative cumulative score since people freely toss around upvotes and such.

I equate Rufus Bless with me being a priest and bestowing blessings on the snark flock.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 3

On 7/8/2020 at 10:43 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

I equate Rufus Bless with me being a priest and bestowing blessings on the snark flock.

I approach it the same way. I also have some strange thing where I feel like once one person has Rufus Blessed a post I can't also Rufus Bless it because it's like knighting or annointing someone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1