IGNORED

Jinjer 36: Post-millennial Pregnancy

samurai_sarah

Mine is singing "Joy to the World" by Three Dog Night wearing a plastic toy stroller cover on my head in front of my parent's guests. I remember always REALLY loving that song. 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I can totally related to remembering every embarrassing thing that you have ever done. I still blush thinking about the time I fell down the stairs and ripped my pants and that was 12 years ago. 

My thing is that I make a noise (groan or "ugh" or whatever) when I suddenly remember something particularly embarrassing from my past. It's involuntary, and if it happens with people around, I have to make up a quick excuse (i.e. lie) as to why I made that noise, rather than explain the embarrassing thing that prompted it.

I remember finding a thread on a message board some years back about this, so I guess I'm not alone... dozens of people chimed in to say it happens to them too.

My first memory is more of a snapshot image than anything. I vaguely remember a room in the house we moved out of when I was 2. I think I must be remembering it from when we were in the middle of moving, because the room is almost completely empty of furniture. All I can see is a room next to the stairs that had a step down, and near the step is this little yellow plastic chair I loved when was young. That’s the whole memory.

I also swore I had a “memory” growing up in which my older brother pushed me down the stairs. I swore I remembered this for the longest time, but my mom said no such thing ever happened, though I did fall down the stairs a few times as a toddler (accidentally, not pushed). I think I must have combined the memories of falling down the stairs and my brother jokingly threatening to push me down the stairs. 

I guess my first memory of a historical/cultural event is 9/11. I don’t have a great memory of it because I was in elementary school and my parents didn’t tell me much about it. I just remember that I was getting ready for school and my mom started acting strange and told me she didn’t know if there would still be school. I remember being confused, but I didn’t understand the significance at the time. 

My first memory is being almost attacked by a peacock. A positive memory is my oldest cousins bat mitzvah and her friend giving me a balloon I was 4.5 both times. I also have a vague memory of moving into our second house. 

I went back to college in my twenties, and I was an art major. In 2001 I was 26, and my metals class was first thing in the morning. None of my classes had TVs, so to this day, 9/11 feels more like a dream to me than anything else. I remember the radio was on, but I have ADD and wasn't paying attention...I remember a classmate started crying, but the enormity of the situation never clicked for me. I guess it's partially that I have a fear of being seen as emotional or hysterical, so I block a lot of stuff lest it affect me in ways I'd find humiliating. 9/11 just never felt real. I was far removed from NYC, I was at my college campus 45 minutes away from Austin, even. I guess I might've been mildly concerned, as I recall looking at the crystal clear sky and thinking "I'll freak out if I see a plane," whilst being unconvinced that I actually would.

I didn't feel in danger. Even watching the buildings go down on the news, hours later, didn't seem real. I mean, I know it happened, but as I didn't personally experience it and didn't know anyone who did, and didn't even watch it in real time, it feels one-dimensional to me.

Like I said, though, I have trouble letting stuff like this through my defenses. I also used to have a very underdeveloped sense of self-preservation...like "nothing is going to hurt/happen to me" until years later, it did. I would likely have a much different reaction now.

I can vaguely remember camping in a small tent near Loch Lomond, both my sister and I had chicken pox, luckily my sister made friends with a girl who also had them. I was only one at the time. 

I also remember a boy in my old Street being murdered by an another boy. I kept asking everyone why Stuart wasn't coming out to play anymore. I moved house when I was 3, my mum said the reason I probably remember him was because he was always looking out for me and the other younger kids. 

The first memory I have that really affected me was the Hillsborough disaster. Watching the news even though my dad tried to stop us. It had lasting ramifications for our city and only recently has the truth come out about what actually happened that day.  JF96 

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

My very first memory is tasting Doritos.  Go figure. 

i just bought some cheese doritos for the new episode tonight :D

@Clairice, I'd heard about the Hillsborough disaster when it happened, but had sorta forgotten about it.  I had to look it up on Wikipedia.   How horrible that must have been to live through as a small child!

23 minutes ago, Clairice said:

The first memory I have that really affected me was the Hillsborough disaster. Watching the news even though my dad tried to stop us. It had lasting ramifications for our city and only recently has the truth come out about what actually happened that day.  JF96 

I was under 2 when Hillsborough happened but I've followed the story since I can remember and my parents told me they watched it on TV and they knew straight away that the official version was lies. They hated Thatcher and her government and knew she would cover for South Yorkshire Police, given the fact they policed the miner strikes a few years earlier. They made a mistake policing the game and caused the crush. Instead of admitting it and apologising for it they blamed the fans. The lies they spread through the media was unforgivable and I hope those involved pay the price.

I have worked at Celtic Park and attended games and the policing of matches has improved, so has match safety, the improvements since Hillsborough are a great legacy but they should have made the improvements after both the Ibrox and Bradford disasters.

8 hours ago, Clairice said:

I remember that one. The front of the paper had a photo of a boy about my age (I was 9) and I can still see his face clearly. In the same way I remember exactly what it was like reading the newspaper at my grandparents house when a 10 year old girl was brutally murdered and found in a plastic bag (also in 89). I think this is when I realised that such horrible things could happen to kids my age and that’s why those two faces are so clear to me. 

11 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Mine is singing "Joy to the World" by Three Dog Night wearing a plastic toy stroller cover on my head in front of my parent's guests. I remember always REALLY loving that song. 

Yes!! I still do--it's always the song that I request at weddings.

I am surprised we haven't yet had any stylish pinterest-y IG pregnancy updates from those two yet.

While I do see Jinger as a more private person than, say, Jill, and can even imagine her struggling with the physical changes pregnancy brings, I was somehow expecting them to publish more "see how our perfect stylish pregnancy is going" social media updates from the Vuolos.

Is it just me or are the Duggars oddly quiet at the moment?

I'm guessing there's no photoshoot because Jinger doesn't have a noticeable bump yet. I know her sisters all carry heavy but Jinger has always been thinner than them so I could see her not going that route. 

12 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm guessing there's no photoshoot because Jinger doesn't have a noticeable bump yet. I know her sisters all carry heavy but Jinger has always been thinner than them so I could see her not going that route. 

give it time. I expect one for Valentines Day or some random day in March 

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

There's a picture on Jeremy's Instagram where she is showing a little (not quite as thin as before). She's wearing a loose dress and looks very pretty. She's probably not even 4 months yet so not much to see.

My first memory is either getting sick in my dad's car or Easter morning. Both happened when I was 2 so I can't be sure which was first, and my parents don't remember when the first happened. I was also 2 when 9/11 happened so I have no clear memories of it, and my parent's & very small elementary school shielded me from most of the world news events that other people my age remember.

I find the generation conversation interesting. I was born in 1999 but me and the people I know that are my age always seemed to have more in common with the people a few years older when it came to the technology, culture, and similar generational experiences of our upbringing. When I was still in school many teachers even mentioned how sharp of a contrast their was between the kids born in 1999 and the ones born in 2000/2001. Most of them said they would put anyone born before 2000 in the millenial category based on their own experiences. I was in a very large public school by that point so their were a ton of different types of upbringings presented but all the teachers who talked about i agreed that there was just something different in the experiences of the kids born before 2000. I wonder if this is a regional thing or what other factors influence this since several posters here have described a shift at 1998 at the latest. 

My earliest memory of a newsworthy event was Mt St Helens erupting in 1980. I was 5. I was also living in Cuero, Texas, which is a world away, and 30 years later, I would marry someone who was just shy of 7 (at the time of the eruption, not our marriage) and remembers ash as thick as snow in his yard. He lived in Onalaska, Washington...not far at all from the mountain, as the crow flies.

Just before my wedding, we took my Texan parents to the mountain (literally 3 months after the 30th anniversary of the eruption). My mother was cold (it was mid-August, but it does stay chillier than Texas and windy up there, year-round) and I remember they were frightened, even though St Helens hadn't been active and there wasn't anything to blow up, really. It's a beautiful thing to see, though. There have been some earthquakes recently around the mountain, but I live just south, and I haven't felt anything. So not too scary.

Onalaska is in the top left corner. Maybe 30, 35 miles?

Screenshot_2018-01-25-12-45-57_kindlephoto-107787457.png

I think my most embarrassing moment was when I was 11! I was going to Germany with my mom and her students (she ran a student exchange and stayed with a colleague who had space for her to also bring one of her kids).

Anyway, big, crowded airport. International arrivals meeting area was huge and had a big glass walll with doors dividing it up. I'm struggling with my luggage and mom is out ahead leading the group. All the German host families are across the room, waiting, with a lot of other travelers and families around. I didn't want to get lost or lose track of mom, so I hurried after her...

And face planted into the glass divider at full tilt, in front of 100+ people! In my defense it was nearly invisible since Germany is very clean, and I had not slept in 20 hours.

My mom was literally crying laughing while trying to get out "are you ok?"

One of my earliest memories is the Omagh Bombing (Northern Ireland). I remember the terror in my mums eyes when she heard and the frantic phone calls she made to ensure relatives were ok. I think it sticks out so much to me because Northern Ireland was supposed to be moving towards peace. I was born in 1995 and I was one of the first of the ‘peace babies’ supposed to be a new generation free from the burden of the Troubles. It was the first time I realised the world was not a safe haven. 

Other than that, I remember Princess Diana’s funeral on TV very vaguely. I remember sitting on my mums knees on a horrid green 90’s sofa and seeing her coffin being brought through a set of gates. That’s my earliest memory I think. 

I remember 9/11 happening so clearly and the news breaking and the adults talking about it. I think that’s where my fear of flying comes from. 

Most embarrassing moment? I am total mess and have made so many stupid mistakes and clumbsy things but I think the time I accidentally cupped a teacher's privates is high on the list. 

3 hours ago, elliha said:

Most embarrassing moment? I am total mess and have made so many stupid mistakes and clumbsy things but I think the time I accidentally cupped a teacher's privates is high on the list. 

My life is one long embarrassing moment. 

Not to brag, but I might win most embarrassing moment.

When we lived overseas, our tiny apartment had its bathroom directly across from the front door. 

You can probably see where this is going.

I was finishing up a shower, and didn't hear the doorbell.  My husband, not realizing I was in the shower (or perhaps thinking I was going to stay in there until whoever it was went away), opened the door wide, just as I, free as the day I was born, opened the bathroom door.

It was one of my adult students.

Yup.

(You might reasonably ask why I wasn't wrapped in a towel.  Well, our bedroom was adjacent to the bathroom, so literally about two steps, so yeah I usually never bothered for the two seconds it would take to get to my room.  Unfortunately.)

So...yeah.  I have only ever been with my husband, but two men have seen me naked. 

7 hours ago, Texas Heifer said:

My earliest memory of a newsworthy event was Mt St Helens erupting in 1980. I was 5. I was also living in Cuero, Texas, which is a world away, and 30 years later, I would marry someone who was just shy of 7 (at the time of the eruption, not our marriage) and remembers ash as thick as snow in his yard. He lived in Onalaska, Washington...not far at all from the mountain, as the crow flies.

Just before my wedding, we took my Texan parents to the mountain (literally 3 months after the 30th anniversary of the eruption). My mother was cold (it was mid-August, but it does stay chillier than Texas and windy up there, year-round) and I remember they were frightened, even though St Helens hadn't been active and there wasn't anything to blow up, really. It's a beautiful thing to see, though. There have been some earthquakes recently around the mountain, but I live just south, and I haven't felt anything. So not too scary.

Onalaska is in the top left corner. Maybe 30, 35 miles?

Screenshot_2018-01-25-12-45-57_kindlephoto-107787457.png

I lived-in PA- i was born in 72, and remember it being in the news. Is it possible that we may have had stunning sunsets from Mt. St. Helens? I might be wrong on that, it was so long ago.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived