IGNORED

Jinjer 36: Post-millennial Pregnancy

samurai_sarah

My brother and I are eight years apart, and so a lot of my childhood pop culture references are Generation X instead of the cusp-o'-millennial that I supposedly belong to. I was born in '82, and I really don't feel like one, but it seems to be right on the edge. I do remember a time before the internet, and even before household computers were common. 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was born in a December of 81 and my oldest was born in 99. It’s crazy to think some would lump us into the same generation. 

1972 here.  I remember when microwaves were a new thing and I was amazed I mean really amazed that you could cook bacon in them.

17 minutes ago, pook said:

1972 here.  I remember when microwaves were a new thing and I was amazed I mean really amazed that you could cook bacon in them.

And it was all the more amazing to learn 45 years later that Barack Obama can spy on you through one!

punkrockrat1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Snarkangel Gabriel said:

Another 1972 here!

Did you sport the hairstyle with the tail?  I did.  *shudders*

8 hours ago, Meggo said:

I also remember a few days later - after days of no-fly zones - hearing a helicopter at 3 in the morning.

I remember seeing that first plane too. Then another and another. It was so freaky at first. 

I kept a diary when I was 13 - started like a month after 9/11 - and reading it now, it's no wonder I became so neurotic. It was full of stuff like, "I'm really scared of terrorists", "Anthrax is popping up everywhere", "Mum thinks they might halt all mail service soon", "I heard a rumour terrorists were going to attack malls on Halloween, but I don't think it's true", "The U.S. is bombing the Taliban", "bin Laden says he has nuclear weapons, but Mum says even if he did he couldn't launch them", "There was a note being passed around in [sister]'s class today that said 'Yaden Yaden Kill bin Laden'", "They raised the threat level again. They think an attack is imminent."

Yeah, that'll mess with an adolescent mind. (I was probably too tuned in to current events for my age, brain development, and emotional maturity. I'd been following current events closely since I was 10 or 11 and it was like entertainment to me. I think it's great for kids to be up on current events, but in my case I actually think it had a detrimental effect.)

1 hour ago, pook said:

I remember my mum and Nana going to microwave classes!!!

I got a microwave as a high school graduation present. I was the ONLY person in my University dorm that had one.

It cost $400. It had no turntable. It was one power, and had a dial to set the time. lol

1970 baby here. I was teaching 2nd grade on 9/11. My students really didn't get what had happened, but they could tell something very bad had happened.  That was when I realized the world would never be the same for those children. Even in 2001, there was still a little innocence left.  No fb, no cyber bullying, no worries about kids sneaking off with internet strangers...

It's hard to believe how times have changed even in the last 18 years. 

Wow, my mom is a baby boomer (1948, so I feel it is more in the after war boom era), and man, comparing her to someone that was born in 1964, way different!

1 hour ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

It's hard to believe how times have changed even in the last 18 years. 

Tell me about it.

Also the amount of technology that reveals our location at any one time... scary.

I saw something on FB that “Titanic” is turning 20 years old this year.  I laughed and then cried at how old I feel hearing that.

3 hours ago, pook said:

I remember when microwaves were a new thing and I was amazed I mean really amazed that you could cook bacon in them.

it was a big deal to have an answering machine 

and in 1988 it was a big deal when we got our vcr 

now we carry our phones around that can take pictures and immediately answer the phone. 

Dallas was a big deal 

a phone in my room when i was 12 was a big deal 

sleepovers with friends was a highlight 

barbies were simple and fun. 

9 minutes ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

I saw something on FB that “Titanic” is turning 20 years old this year.  I laughed and then cried at how old I feel hearing that.

that's nothing - Joanie from Happy Days died last year as Did David Cassidy - those two were sad. MTM not so much. she was old. But Joanie crushed me and Scott Baio for days :D

I vaguely hearing my mother talk about JFK's assassination.I was three.She was ironing that day.It was a big deal when we got our first computer in 2001,when I was almost 41.I got a microwave in 1983,but I had a friend,when I was in high school,and her family had one.

14 minutes ago, nst said:

it was a big deal to have an answering machine 

and in 1988 it was a big deal when we got our vcr 

now we carry our phones around that can take pictures and immediately answer the phone. 

Dallas was a big deal 

a phone in my room when i was 12 was a big deal 

sleepovers with friends was a highlight 

barbies were simple and fun. 

that's nothing - Joanie from Happy Days died last year as Did David Cassidy - those two were sad. MTM not so much. she was old. But Joanie crushed me and Scott Baio for days :D

Wait a minute Erin/Joanie was old?  Not sure I understand...

33 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I remember getting the original Nintendo for Christmas one year ....Duck hunt,baby!

I got one for my 8th birthday.  I still have it, I wish it still worked. 

28 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wolf girl has an original Atari with lots of games.

My cousin had one. His other cousin took it back with him to college once to see if someone he knew could get it working again. 

Millennial here. I remember one xmas when PlayStation got released (95 I think) and I got one, it was THE BOMB! I was the first kid in my neighborhood to got one and my friends would come over to compete against each other in Crash team race lol.

I'm not that old I guess.. I do remember when the first cellphone with a camera got released too.

@pook,  not @nst, but I think she meant Mary Tyler Moore was old and not Erin Moran (Joanie from Happy Days. ) I was saddened by all three.  Mary Tyler Moore may have been in her 80s, but that doesn't make her death not something to be sad about.  I grew up watching Mary Tyler Moore on TV, first in The Dick Van Dyke Show and the on  her eponymous show.  "Who can turn the world on with her smile?"  2017 began with Mary's passing and ended with Rose Marie's death.  I don't care if these women weren't spring chickens; the world is poorer for having lost those two.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived