IGNORED

Turpins 2- California Torture House (Graphic content discussed)

dawbs

21 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I am struggling to think of how to address them by name without knowing their name. 

I forget where I saw it but one news article had their names and approximate ages listed on the family photo. Only the faces of the minor children were blurred out. I'll look for it again.

ETA: This isn't the article I remember seeing yesterday, and it is the Daily Mail so this story could be pure fiction so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway, the story identifies the three oldest as Jennifer, Josh, and Jessica.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5284947/Friend-Turpin-kids-says-family-left-kitten-dumpster.html

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David and Louis Turpin. Someone here commented that they could not refer to these two as "parents".( I have a hard time referring to them as people.) I suggest we refer to them as Thing 1 (David) and Thing 2 (Louise).

Is that too nice?

3 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

David and Louis Turpin. Someone here commented that they could not refer to these two as "parents".( I have a hard time referring to them as people.) I suggest we refer to them as Thing 1 (David) and Thing 2 (Louise).

Is that too nice?

I saw on Websleuths that they're being referred to as Monster 1 and Monster 2. LOL I LOVE your username by the way.

"thing" is way too  nice for them. esp in regard to Dr. Suess. Monster 1 and Monster 2 is  more appropriate. 

More dreadful stories.  These interviews from neighbors when they lived in Texas. One of the women was a friend of the eldest daughter, Jessica, although she never really knew her name for sure as the children were forbidden to tell them.  Two other interviews, by the neighbor girl's mother, and by the current owner of the house the Turpins fled from.   Evidently dead dogs were found in the house, and a living kitten in the dumpster.

It has seemed a trend in these sensational and macabre cases that British tabloids do a better job of covering the full story than the American press.  These interviews have not made it into the US MSM as far as I know.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5284947/Friend-Turpin-kids-says-family-left-kitten-dumpster.html

Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Sideways said:

More dreadful stories.  These interviews from neighbors when they lived in Texas. One of the women was a friend of the eldest daughter, Jessica, although she never really knew her name for sure as the children were forbidden to tell them.  Two other interviews, by the neighbor girl's mother, and by the current owner of the house the Turpins fled from. 

It has seemed a trend in these sensational and macabre cases that British tabloids do a better job of covering the full story than the American press.  These interviews have not made it into the US MSM as far as I know.  

Hide contents
  Hide contents

Ugh. Heartbreaking. I wanted to mention that in this case, I think it's best that if people send a card they keep it neutral like "Dear Awesome Friend" because the kids might get triggered in a way if a stranger knows their name since it appears they weren't able to give it out even to friends of the family.

I am in the camp of sending support to organizations who are overseeing help.  This is now a world-wide story... sending anything "personalized" (cards, letters) will most likely end up in a mail bag and this effort is not immediately useful to someone who is just trying to assimilate into basic eating and thinking on their own.... 

The Corona Chamber of Commerce says all material donations have been met... monetary donations are still accepted.  http://www.mychamber.org/events/details/donations-for-perris-abuse-victims-14222

"All clothing needs, hygiene items, and games, etc.. have been currently met. Monetary donations are needed at this time."

"As they await prosecution and as the children, who are so malnourished doctors fear they may go into shock, recover, new details have emerged about the horrifying conditions they were forced to endure."

Quoted from the DM article.  This must be what prompted the escape.  Death must have been coming.  

Inside Edition Story.  Now Teresa Robinette has reversed her position on still loving her sister Louise:

“I would never in a million years have thought she was this deranged, this psychotic and she is dead to me. She is dead to me. I just want to protect my nieces and nephews,” Robinette added. 

http://www.insideedition.com/david-and-louise-turpin-fed-kids-once-day-and-allowed-them-shower-twice-year-report-39940

I would not let those children, adult or minor, near any of that freaky family. If they cared that much about the children before, they would have done more to track them down.  It's not normal for adult siblings to have "some" contact over the years but to forbid family members to visit or speak to the children.  Red flags were flying at full mast.

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

I forget where I saw it but one news article had their names and approximate ages listed on the family photo. Only the faces of the minor children were blurred out. I'll look for it again.

ETA: This isn't the article I remember seeing yesterday, and it is the Daily Mail so this story could be pure fiction so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway, the story identifies the three oldest as Jennifer, Josh, and Jessica.

I think I still have that article open in a tab. I’ll look to see if I can find it.

The DM article has Joshua and Jonathan mixed up, according to how the boys identified themselves in the vow renewal video. 

Here it is. Scroll down.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-couple-charged-torture-brought-13-kids-along-when-they-n838026

28 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Inside Edition Story.  Now Teresa Robinette has reversed her position on still loving her sister Louise:

“I would never in a million years have thought she was this deranged, this psychotic and she is dead to me. She is dead to me. I just want to protect my nieces and nephews,” Robinette added. 

http://www.insideedition.com/david-and-louise-turpin-fed-kids-once-day-and-allowed-them-shower-twice-year-report-39940

I would not let those children, adult or minor, near any of that freaky family. If they cared that much about the children before, they would have done more to track them down.  It's not normal for adult siblings to have "some" contact over the years but to forbid family members to visit or speak to the children.  Red flags were flying at full mast.

I think that’s the sister Teresa who seems to have a much healthier emotional reaction to this news. The one on GMA was Elisabeth who tearily talked about the love she has for her sister and how she’s praying for her salvation.

The video of the childhood friend on DailyMail discussed how the parents had signs referring to preparing for Armageddon and how they didn’t believe in reading news about the world since everything, including the government was all corrupted and of the devil anyway. I strangely recall the Maxwells blogging about this too but obviously they’re not being abused like Turpin have been.

They sound like they are extreme fundie conspiracy theorist type paranoiacs. No wonder the adults didn’t know the meaning of “police officer” and “medication pills”.

I missed this snippet earlier:

The abuse and neglect began when the family lived in the Fort Worth, Texas, area, with the parents at one point residing apart from most of their children and dropping off food from time to time, Hestrin said[\quote]

So they had two houses?

1 hour ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

This makes me think of "Genie." Why keep having children? 

This made me think of Genie, too. I'm hoping that we've learned some lessons since then (and I think we have) so that we can best serve these kiddos and adults. 

@adidas Regarding their having two houses in Texas, could that be where having both the farmhouse (that was later foreclosed on?) and the double-wide trailer came into play?

One thought I had about the baby not being malnourished (as far as I can tell) is that it is possible she is still being breast fed. 

24 minutes ago, freedom_for_all said:

One thought I had about the baby not being malnourished (as far as I can tell) is that it is possible she is still being breast fed. 

I don’t know... The baby is two years old, isn’t she? I can’t imagine Louise having the sort of bond to breastfeed a baby for two years and then go on to abuse her child(ren) in such ways. The photographs from court and the press conference give me the chills, genuinely. When she isn’t smirking, she looks bored. Not in the slightest upset or emotional.

One thought I had was that not being told about things like medication might be good for them, at least now. Better than being told that 'psych meds are poison' and 'psychiatrists are the devil' like some faith groups do. Having those beliefs drilled into them might create more fear and make them resistant to accepting help.

6 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

To everyone who wants to send stuff to these people:  there are literally MILLIONS of people sending stuff. Millions. Others have decided to donate to local organizations who take care of the victims of the "non-famous" but equally appalling abusers.

I would suggest choosing wisely.

There are lots of local places to donate to....

Local CPS office. Visiting rooms are very grim and often lack toys, books, etc. Check with the CPS office if they would take donations for those rooms.

Schools, do you know how many schools do gifts for children? This year we also did a GoFundMe along with staff donations to buy, I believe warm winter coats for over 100 students. And this is older students.

Domestic violence shelters, soup kitchens, etc.  Perhaps make a donation in the children's names.....

There are a lot of sick bastards out there.....let love win.......

So, there was extreme neglect that turned into horrific torture. There were dead dogs in one house and a live kitten in the trash and then well-fed dogs in the current house. The older children were so starved that it has caused permanent damage and the youngest shows no sign of starvation. There is noting consistent about these horrible “parents” except for how horrible they are. It’s all so bizarre. 

I can’t imagine those poor kids trying to make sense of it all. It’s not enough that they starved and neglected them, but then it sounds like overnight they turned to extreme torture. 

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything else. Please allow me to offer my opinion/speculation as to why the baby was spared the torture (which is what has emerged so far; but of course this an ongoing investigation).

*IF* neuropsychiatric conditions are ruled out, then my non-professional opinion is that the only other option to explain (nevereverever to justify or relativise/minimise, of course!!!) such extreme behaviour is to be found on the malignant end of the spectrum for Narcissist and Anti-Social (formerly known as psychopathic and sociopathic) personality disorders. The term "malignant" was first used in connection with personality disorders by, I believe, Jewish psychologist and anthropologist Eric Fromm when he embarked on a journey to try and understand how human beings could have reached the unspeakable level of depravity found in Nazi concentration camps. Malignan NPD/ASPD constitutes the darkest possible dimension of the human psyche, also known as the "dark triad", and revolves around three main traits: Machiavellism, absolute lack of empathy, and Narcissism. People with a "dark triad"-type of NPD/ASPD are the closest we can get to scientifically explain absolute evil, the kind of mind-boggling  evil that religions and cultures all over the  world have tried to represent and explain as demonic forces and incarnations or spiritual manifestations of Evil with a capital E.

With regards to the baby, research so far supports the idea that even malignant NPD/ASPD generally begin the actual abuse on their children when the latter start displaying signs of maturing into their own personality. When the first signs of individuality appear, that's when the systematic process of emotional, intellectual and sometimes (as is the case here) physical destruction begins. This could be as early as the first time a toddler enters the 'no' phase (if you want to see C.R.A.Z.Y. raging, try to say 'no' to a Narcopath), or in the case of rather 'docile' kids, at 5/6 years tops. This might eplain why the baby had not been abused, yet.

Another option is that this last child had been singled out as the 'Golden Child'. In most dysfunctional families, and particularly those in which the dysfunction is due to Cluster B  personality disorders (NPD and ASPD, among others), abusive parents will assign 'roles' to each child. The Golden Children are the children with which the malignant parent identifies: they become an extention of the parent and, as such, they can do no wrong and will be treated as princes. The Scapegoats become the human dumpster into which the malignant NPD/ASPD pours all the self-hatred and toxic shame that the parent's sadistic superego relentlessly dumps onto the parent him/herself. The Scapegoat can do no good, is constantly punished, ridiculed, and actively abused in any way, shape or form. A notorious case was mentioned upthread, in which three siblings were well-fed and sent to school, while two other siblings were starved and locked up at home. I'd say that is a clear (and rather extreme) example of the Golden Children vs. Scapegoats dynamic. If the family has more than two children, one or more may become 'forgotten children', the ones that are not actively tormented, but are ignored, usually to the point of (at least emotional) neglect. Most large families on FJ have several examples of 'lost children': I don't think I need to name any names. Remarkably, in the Turpin family there only appear to have been scapegoats, who would perhaps at times be relieved to find themselves being 'merely' ignored, but there were no 'Golden Children', that I can tell. Until, that is, the youngest arrived. It is possible that this baby arrived when M2 thought her conceiving days were over and thus this baby may have come to symbolise her youth. The birth of this baby may have even been interpreted as proof that M1 and M2 can indeed stay forever a bride and groom  (see obsession with reenacting their wedding), forever fertile and forever young, just like the Disney characters they seem to be obsessed with. If this were the case, then chances are the last baby would become the child with which M1 & M2 identify and, thus, the only Golden Child among all those tortured scapegoats.

9 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

This is my detailed synopsis of the case that has profoundly affected me and has deeply triggered me.

@luv2laugh Big hugs to you.  Hope you have good counselling in place to call on - and please do call on it if you are upset.

I read about this horrible case in the morning paper, the two Monster's actions are international news. I knew FJ would have a thread! This is hands down the worst case I've ever read abotu on this site. I see some similarities with the Rodrigues family, but it doesn't seem like their children have it nearly as bad, at least I hope so.

It seems like both the Monsters, at least Louise, grew up in abusive homes. That might explain - but not excuse!! - some of their behaviour, but only some. The grandmother's and the religious sister's statements are huge red flags too, I hope none of them gets custody.

I really, really feel for the 13 children, Words cannot express how disgusted I am with their so called parents.

7 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Oh God - again with the J names???

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived