IGNORED

Turpins 2- California Torture House (Graphic content discussed)

dawbs

In one article, one of their neighbours noticed the kids were kept indoors all the time, and said he thought it was because he suspected they were "mentally handicapped". WTF?? Just because you have Downs syndrome or severe autism doesn't mean you can't go outside! I thought we had moved on from the time where nerodivergent people were locked up and hidden from the rest of the world...

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, FunFunFundie said:

But they weren’t allowed to use the toilet and at times were hogtied or bound, I think it’s a reasonable assumption that they were sitting in their own waste. Babies get diaper rash after a few hours in a poopy diaper, and it’s not just icky, it’s painful. If they weren’t able to clean themselves, and they were also in contact with feces, its definitely physical abuse.

Agreed.  Not being allowed to use the toilet, not being allowed to clean up after sitting in their own waste etc. is definitely physical abuse.  

My comment was on “only one shower a year” as abuse.  We actually don’t know if the kids were allowed to clean themselves somewhat in special situations. These people were so crazy that they could very well have told a child, “you are disgusting, go clean yourself,” after a period of being bound.  (I am not assuming that they did, but I am not assuming that they didn’t.)  

But assuming that they didn’t allow the kids to clean themselves in any way even after the kids had lain in excrement or whatever I definitely see  that as abuse.  Under other circumstances (the kids aren’t lying in their own waste or whatever) not letting your kids shower may be weird but it doesn’t come up to the other horrible abuse we have been discussing.  

Sorry if the distinction wasn’t clear.

22 hours ago, woonaluna said:

Thanks for clarifying. My knowledge to the legal system is limited, so that makes sense. So if there's no trial, is it just an automatic sentence? 

Charges have to be brought within 72 hours, in order to hold someone in jail without bond. So neither the prosecutor or defense lawyer will lawyer have much time to. Many times the initial charges brought by the prosecutor maybe modified, or additional charges added on (as I expect will happen here, 13 counts of torture is an understatement, since each act of torture would could as a single charge.) The defense lawyer will always recommend that the client plead "not guilty" (anyone who pleads guilty at the initial hearing is doing so against legal advise.) On reason, as already stated by someone else is in case evidence is thrown out. The other reasons are so the defense lawyer has time to prepare for a "guilty but mentally ill charge" (I could see this being done in this case), or to try to get a plea bargain from the prosecutor in exchange for a guilty plea from his clients (I don't see this being done in this, in heinous cases, the plea bargain is usually along the lines of the client will plead guilty and get life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, in exchange for not getting the death penalty. As they aren't eligible for the death penalty with the current charges, no prosecutor will agree to anything than life imprisonment without parole or its equivalent. Even if a plea bargain is agree to, it still must be OK'd by a judge. 

If they do plead guilty....and I think they are unlikely to unless it's "guilty but mentally ill", then the sentencing will go before a judge who will hear from both the prosecutor and the defense lawyer on what they think should be done. The judge will hear the details of the plea bargain that was agreed to (and usually the judge will agree to keep the bargain, but they don't have to, and the criminal can't rescind their guilty plea at that point....although the defense lawyer may later appeal the sentencing if the plea bargain is broken. ) Many times, family/friends of the criminals will testify in their defense (stuff like the person is really a good person who made 1 bad mistake.....not really applicable in this case), and the victims or victims families will often testify as well about all the damage the criminals did to them. After hearing all this, the judge will then pronounce the sentencing. 

Trying to find a jury for this case is going to be awful. I don't know what California law is like, so I don't know if a bench trial is an option. 

25 minutes ago, Terrie said:

Trying to find a jury for this case is going to be awful. I don't know what California law is like, so I don't know if a bench trial is an option. 

The defense will likely ask for the trial to be held in another part of the state. I think finding a jury will be the most difficult part of the case but then again the defense could make a plea bargain.

From that video listed earlier about the eldest son and his GPA, I paused the video to look at the courses he was taking. I don't know how the TV station got a transcript, since it seems like a FERPA violation to me (unless he gave permission), but since it's out there, I'm going to list the courses and credit hours, if not the grades.

Spring 2014        Elementary Algebra 4 cr. hr.
Fall 2015   English Fundamentals 4 cr. hr.
                Intermediate Algebra   5 cr. hr.
                Music Fundamentals  3 cr. hr.
                    (Pres. Honor List)
Spring 2016        Guitar I 1 cr. hr. 
                Introduction to Multimedia  3 cr. hr. 
                Public Speaking  3 cr. hr. 
                Freshman Comp 4 cr. hr.
                College Algebra    4 cr. hr.
                    (Pres. Honor List)
Summer 2016        Basic Auto Mechanics  4 cr. hr.
Fall 2016        Guitar II 1 cr. hr.
Spring 2017    Auto Brake Systems 4 cr. hr.
                Guitar Ensemble 1 cr. hr.
                Engine Performance I 4 cr. hr (Withdrew in Feb)
                Intro to Archaeology 3 cr. hr.

Based on this, he was in classes as recently as last spring, though I don't know if he was enrolled this past Fall semester. In Fall 2016, however, he seems to have only taken one single credit hour course. And he seemed to be doing some college remedial work to start with, so he didn't have very strong English or math skills going into community college. Good for him for doing so well once he started, though, even with his absolutely terrible home situation. 

http://abc11.com/perris-torture-case-eldest-son-maintained-393-gpa/2980407/?sf180016412=1

39 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

From that video listed earlier about the eldest son and his GPA, I paused the video to look at the courses he was taking. I don't know how the TV station got a transcript, since it seems like a FERPA violation to me (unless he gave permission), but since it's out there, I'm going to list the courses and credit hours, if not the grades.

Spring 2014        Elementary Algebra 4 cr. hr.
Fall 2015   English Fundamentals 4 cr. hr.
                Intermediate Algebra   5 cr. hr.
                Music Fundamentals  3 cr. hr.
                    (Pres. Honor List)
Spring 2016        Guitar I 1 cr. hr. 
                Introduction to Multimedia  3 cr. hr. 
                Public Speaking  3 cr. hr. 
                Freshman Comp 4 cr. hr.
                College Algebra    4 cr. hr.
                    (Pres. Honor List)
Summer 2016        Basic Auto Mechanics  4 cr. hr.
Fall 2016        Guitar II 1 cr. hr.
Spring 2017    Auto Brake Systems 4 cr. hr.
                Guitar Ensemble 1 cr. hr.
                Engine Performance I 4 cr. hr (Withdrew in Feb)
                Intro to Archaeology 3 cr. hr.

Based on this, he was in classes as recently as last spring, though I don't know if he was enrolled this past Fall semester. In Fall 2016, however, he seems to have only taken one single credit hour course. And he seemed to be doing some college remedial work to start with, so he didn't have very strong English or path skills going into community college. Good for him for doing so well once he started, though, even with his absolutely terrible home situation. 

http://abc11.com/perris-torture-case-eldest-son-maintained-393-gpa/2980407/?sf180016412=1

there are some interesting classes like Archaeology and guitar. It breaks my heart to see this list and to know how well he was doing all the while he was suffering with those monsters. 

It doesn't appear that he was following any sort of "degree" program, unless this community college is more vocational-ed oriented?

8 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

It doesn't appear that he was following any sort of "degree" program, unless this community college is more vocational-ed oriented?

He might having been going for his generals, or doing some vocational stuff. The math classes are remedial up until the College Algebra class. The English classes look pretty standard for GE requirements. Public speaking is also a standard GE class. The music classes may have been for his humanities credits; the archaeology class definitely a GE class. Perhaps there was some thought of him going on to a 4 year after get some of his GEs out of the way, but it may be they decided to get an AA in auto mechanics at some point. His course load really is pretty typical of for a community college or lower division undergrad student. 

The big question is, what was the end game with this education? Was it hoped he'd get a job eventually? Go on to a 4 year university and get a bachelor's? Monster #1 has a degree in a highly employable field, were they hoping the boy would take after his father? 

It's just one more bizarre mystery out of a million bizarre mysteries. 

3 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

He might having been going for his generals, or doing some vocational stuff. The math classes are remedial up until the College Algebra class. The English classes look pretty standard for GE requirements. Public speaking is also a standard GE class. The music classes may have been for his humanities credits; the archaeology class definitely a GE class. Perhaps there was some thought of him going on to a 4 year after get some of his GEs out of the way, but it may be they decided to get an AA in auto mechanics at some point. His course load really is pretty typical of for a community college or lower division undergrad student. 

The big question is, what was the end game with this education? Was it hoped he'd get a job eventually? Go on to a 4 year university and get a bachelor's? Monster #1 has a degree in a highly employable field, were they hoping the boy would take after his father? 

It's just one more bizarre mystery out of a million bizarre mysteries. 

Maybe so the family could look "normal" to others? I agree, what is the point? Who knows the minds of those twisted and depraved monsters. 

It is interesting that he took elementary algebra at the same time as intermediate algebra. Isn't elementary algebra a pre-req for intermediate algebra?

3 minutes ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

It is interesting that he took elementary algebra at the same time as intermediate algebra. Isn't elementary algebra a pre-req for intermediate algebra?

He took Elementary Algebra in Spring 2014 and Intermediate Algebra in Fall 2015. 

I wonder why there was a gap of a year and a half where he wasn't enrolled. 

25 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

He took Elementary Algebra in Spring 2014 and Intermediate Algebra in Fall 2015. 

Gotcha. Makes more sense. My phone formatted the course list in a wonky way.

22 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

If the baby is two years old, it was probably born in 2015 so maybe Louise was pregnant and/or nursing from Summer 14 to Summer 15.  She was chaperoning him to classes, after all.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived