IGNORED

Reconstructionist org American Vision comes out against slavery, followers go nuts

NachosFlandersStyle

The American Vision is Gary DeMar's far-right "ministry," which works mostly as a publishing house for folks like Doug Wilson and Gary North. The group has called for the execution of abortion providers and they're categorized as an anti-gay hate group by the SPLC. So they're pretty "out there" by most standards, but they're very much part of the homeschooling/QF universe. DeMar is facebook friends with most of the VF notables, and in searching to see if we'd discussed him on FJ I learned that the cheery Olivia of Fresh Modesty even goes to his church.

Anyway, they've been promoting a new book by Joel McDurmon which criticizes conservative christianity for being complicit with slavery and racism in America. Honestly, it sounds like it could be a decent book, considering who's publishing it. But judging by the response on their facebook page and in the comments on their blog, you'd think they declared that the Virgin Mary was a whore or something. "Cultural Marxism," "racism is over," "don't you know that abortion is the REAL slavery," etc. A quick google of McDurmon's name brings up a lot of blog posts by various angry theonomists declaring him a liberal traitor. He quotes some of the reactions here: https://americanvision.org/15331/didnt-end-150-years-ago-thats/

Wild that there are still circles where an argument like his is controversial. If someone who takes the brave stance of "slavery was actually bad" is a traitor to your movement, well, I guess we now know what you're really all about. It's sort of a hobby-horse of mine, how easy it is to find weapons-grade racism just below the surface of all these pretty home-and-hearth ideologies.

OK, so they are anti gay and anti abortion but they are also anti slavery and anti racism.  I'm confused?

Tl;Dr they're hateful bigots, but one of their writers has come out saying that certain types of hateful bigotry are bad, and now their hateful bigot followers feel like he's betrayed them

I don't really get it. If you're super racist you probably think that America should be white and don't let all those brown and black people from shithole countries in, because they are so uneducated and have no skills and speak no English and are criminals and there are too many minorities and white genocide and so on.

But the institution of slavery brought a whole lot of uneducated brown and black people who spoke no English is in America.  So why then is slavery so great?

15 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I don't really get it. If you're super racist you probably think that America should be white and don't let all those brown and black people from shithole countries in, because they are so uneducated and have no skills and speak no English and are criminals and there are too many minorities and white genocide and so on.

But the institution of slavery brought a whole lot of uneducated brown and black people who spoke no English is in America.  So why then is slavery so great?

Not all of my ancestry is white.  Quite a bit of it is native American (Cherokee manly, Shawnee possibly and we think quite a bit of Osage), which is not white!  Also, at least one slave ancestor that we know of and possibly more, which were held in slavery by the Cherokee tribe and then the tribe eventually freed their slaves and quite a few of them married into the tribe.  Which is my ancestor(s).  It always amuses me (and infuriates me)  when I hear some of those idiotic racists talk about white America like that's the way it originally was!  My daughter's significant other is Cherokee, he's got a pretty strong opinion on that, too.

Archived