IGNORED

Turpins - 13 shackled kids

Sideways

If you scroll right down the joint facebook page, they have posted some of those 'wedding' photos in 2011. So I don't think it's a recent picture, I think July 2016 is just when they made it their cover photo. Which might explain why everyone looks so young. But they also do look malnourished which means they've potentially been underfed for at least 7 years. 

This is just awful. I'm so glad the 17 year old managed to escape and alert the authorities.

Edited to add: And that baby doesn't seem to have aged in any of the photos they've posted on facebook at all. So are they all old photos then? Meant to detract from what was actually happening in the home up to date?

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, lilith said:

There’s a huge gap between the baby and next child - huge enough that it makes me wonder if the “mother” actually birthed the child. Pure speculation there though.

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t had the same thought...

ill try not to jump to conclusions, because that’s a horrible thought (and it’s already horrific).  I have had female family members have healthy children into their late 40s (even in the 1930s), so it happens.  But.... I did wonder.  There’s more to this story :(

7 minutes ago, helenprev said:

If you scroll right down the joint facebook page, they have posted some of those 'wedding' photos in 2011. So I don't think it's a recent picture, I think July 2016 is just when they made it their cover photo. Which might explain why everyone looks so young. But they also do look malnourished which means they've potentially been underfed for at least 7 years. 

This is just awful. I'm so glad the 17 year old managed to escape and alert the authorities.

Edited to add: And that baby doesn't seem to have aged in any of the photos they've posted on facebook at all. So are they all old photos then? Meant to detract from what was actually happening in the home up to date?

The news says the baby is 2 though, so it doesn't add up to the photo being from 2011. 

1 minute ago, Anonymousguest said:

The news says the baby is 2 though, so it doesn't add up to the photo being from 2011. 

There were two separate “weddings,” I think.

Which is to say, the one with the pink dresses is actually recent - the 2011 wedding has the same bridal gown but very different hair.

4 minutes ago, FunFunFundie said:

Which is to say, the one with the pink dresses is actually recent - the 2011 wedding has the same bridal gown but very different hair.

I think both weddings had the girls in the same pink dresses, the one with the baby in it would be the one from 2016. 

This is horrifying. Just read about this and came here to see if it had been posted yet. I knew these were probably fundies straight away.

Cant believe six of those children are adults, as old as 28. Theyre so young looking.

I don't generally like to judge people on their appearance, but wow does that mother look crazy. It seems like more than just the fundie love eyes to me? Like she just looks straight up bonkers.

It looks like the baby was born in April of 2015 since they posted a first birthday picture of the baby and people were saying happy birthday. So the wedding pictures with the baby in it should be from 2016. 

15 minutes ago, FunFunFundie said:

I just saw a CBS tweet that says that the couple renewed their vows at least three times in Las Vegas. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSNews/status/953237770465611776?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

8 hours ago, TSOWOATNK said:

At 29 you are well into adulthood. Heck, if you are a woman you will get the title "elderly" if you are pregnant in 6 short years. Parents shouldn't dictate to a 29 year old what they can and can not do, because a 29 year old is an adult and should have complete autonomy. The physical shackling just makes it even worse. I'd think it was abusive to control a 29 year old even if they weren't shackled and malnourished. 

Yes, but there's difference between this situation and let's say the Maxwells.

2 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Yes, but there's difference between this situation and let's say the Maxwells.

Yes, Steve’s shackles are entirely psychological. And he will unlock his boys if they find the exact combination to the lock (courtship with a suitably godly maiden). We are yet to see if his daughter’s shackles are deadlocked (with Daddy holding the key).

15 minutes ago, lilith said:

Yes, Steve’s shackles are entirely psychological. And he will unlock his boys if they find the exact combination to the lock (courtship with a suitably godly maiden). We are yet to see if his daughter’s shackles are deadlocked (with Daddy holding the key).

I told @Destiny earlier when the Maxwell's look like the epitome of freedom because Poor Sarah has a dog and can drive you are really doing something wrong :(

I keep looking at these pictures and can't believe any of those kids are adults, let alone one is almost 30 and 7 total are adults.   I'm interested in the actual ages of each one because I can't even begin to guess.

BBC article had an interview with Turpin Sr, who claimed they haven't seen the grandkids in several years, but talked on the phone. Oh, and [grandparents] 'James and Betty Turpin said "God called on them" to have as many children as they did (referring to David and Louise).

They also said the children were given "very strict home-schooling," and that the children had to memorise long passages of the Bible. Some of the children were aiming to learn it in its entirety, they said.' 

Anyone surprised?

ETA: FB page still up, but no updates since July 2016.

parents are being held on $9 mil EACH, they are being charged with torture and child endangerment.

5 hours ago, FunFunFundie said:

I can still see their Facebook.

I was trying to pick out which kids were adults and realized that, it’s hard to tell because of the infantilizing dresses, but it looks like none of the girls have any hint of breasts - I don’t think they’ve gone through puberty. :(. 

Let's not go too far down this line of speculation.  These kids are going to have enough to deal with without us wondering whether they have reached puberty after being held captive for nearly 3 decades.   They are obviously malnourished so it's hard to tell much of anything about their condition other than they have clearly been starved

Thanks!

Coming out of lulrkdom... Hello from the UK :)

There is a YouTube video still up with the full recording of the Vegas wedding... Not sure if it’s ok to post the link, but I will if someone confirms it’s allowed (don’t want to break rules on my first post...)

12 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Totally off topic, but they (he?) has Magnum condoms publicly "liked" on Facebook. Idk if the company execs want an insane abusive father of twenty advertising their birth control. My guess is they're not fundamentalists exactly, but do veer toward conservative Christian churches because they support the parent's public authoritarian parenting. 

They liked Magnum ice cream bars, not the condoms. 

13 minutes ago, Curious said:

Let's not go too far down this line of speculation.  These kids are going to have enough to deal with without us wondering whether they have reached puberty after being held captive for nearly 3 decades.   They are obviously malnourished so it's hard to tell much of anything about their condition other than they have clearly been starved

Thanks!

Thanks for this suggestion, it's an important one.  I was basically trying to point out just how much stress/malnourishment it seems that their bodies have undergone, but you are absolutely right.

9 minutes ago, DisgustedofHove said:

Coming out of lulrkdom... Hello from the UK :)

There is a YouTube video still up with the full recording of the Vegas wedding... Not sure if it’s ok to post the link, but I will if someone confirms it’s allowed (don’t want to break rules on my first post...)

As long as it's public you can post links here, yes

3 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

They liked Magnum ice cream bars, not the condoms. 

I want to try one of those but refuse to buy an ice cream bar named after a gun or condom.  I have at least a few lines I won't cross even in the name of delicious looking ice cream.

Here it is... You can see the children walking, dancing and even singing a bit. To me, they seem very uncomfortable in the video, tottering around on those heels looking unstable, and like they’re not used to the attention. 

They just said on CNN that there is going to be a press conference later today about this case.  They were in darkness, very pale, malnourished.  The parents are 57 and 49.  They were not sequestered went to Disneyland and vegas

Very protective of the children.  Grandma talked to them Saturday night.  Dressed the children exactly alike because they were so protective of them.  Mom walked in front and then they followed in a line from youngest to oldest with dad following up at the end when out in public.

That was all I could quickly transcribe from the CNN report they just did.

At least one of the boys and at least one of the girls look to me like they have some special needs too. Those poor children. (I have two with special needs and I can’t stand to imagine what these children have gone through.)

12 hours ago, lilith said:

There’s a huge gap between the baby and next child - huge enough that it makes me wonder if the “mother” actually birthed the child. Pure speculation there though.

Or a reversal baby?

• dawbs locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived