IGNORED

Is NXIVM a religion (or just a cult?)

AuntKrazy

The “doctor” who did the branding is also under investigation by New York State for, you know, BRANDING people. Something about it being unprofessional for a health care provider to press a burning hot item to someone’s flesh, scaring them permanently, especially without the woman’s full understanding of what was happening. The state has to take the allegations seriously, since the evidence that it happened is right on the women’s hips, and all the women have the exact same brand. Kind of hard to argue against that kind of evidence!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Mercy. This is awful. Those poor women. Even when this cult falls apart, they’ll have a reminder forever on their bodies. How terrible.

• Upvote 6

Did anyone catch the amount of $ they had stashed in the house of the deputy leader? Millions in cash! They brought it up from Mexico (from their self-improvement seminars) without declaring it so .....tax trouble. Now that’s a bolt bag! He did not go far enough to escape US law enforcement though.

• Upvote 2

I caught a video on YouTube - I believe it was a recent 20/20 piece on this.  And apparently Battlestar Galactica & Hawaii Five 0 actress Grace Park was featured in some of this group's videos.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 2

First Gaius Baltar...now this?! Callie, Callie, Callie.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

New member and reason I wanted to register was this thread. I've been following case since Raniere's arrest and found this blog: https://frankreport.com/

Whole thing looks like mix of scientology and sex cult. Creepiest thing for me are Bronfmans. With their money ex-members have been drowned to lawsuits and basically ruined their lives. I hope they focus is now elsewhere.

Edited by GreatGirl
Missing words.
  • Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Very long, detailed NYTimes story other today. I can’t link cause I’m at work. Very interesting. I recommend reading it if you are interested in this creep, Raniere.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

Very long, detailed NYTimes story other today. I can’t link cause I’m at work. Very interesting. I recommend reading it if you are interested in this creep, Raniere.

I think this is the one you were talking about:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/magazine/sex-cult-empowerment-nxivm-keith-raniere.html

The first episode of the new A&E Series done by Elizabeth Vargas - "Cults and Extreme Belief" was on this too.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Yes, that’s the story. Thanks, I appreciate it. I was so engrossed in reading it this morning that I was almost late to work. All I heard leaders seem creepy as hell.

Raniere doesn’t even know where his clothes they come from- they just appear in his closet! He doesn’t have money, folks just do things for him, you know!

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2018 at 10:29 AM, AuntKrazy said:

I think this is the one you were talking about:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/magazine/sex-cult-empowerment-nxivm-keith-raniere.html

The first episode of the new A&E Series done by Elizabeth Vargas - "Cults and Extreme Belief" was on this too.

Very much reminded of Scientology. Expensive seminars, inside slang, etc. 

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

https://nypost.com/2018/07/24/seagram-heiress-among-arrests-in-nxivm-sex-cult-bust/

Federal authorities have busted four more people for their alleged roles in upstate sex cult Nxivm – including Seagram’s liquor heiress Clare Bronfman.

Bronfman — who used her fortune to bankroll the group — Russel and Nancy Salzman are variously accused of participating in identity theft, money laundering, and altering records to facilitate the enterprise.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Knowing my morbid interest in fundamentalist Mormons and Scientology, my friend just told me about a CBC podcast called Uncover: Escaping NXIVM, which reports on this cult through several episodes and conversations with former members. I've listened to three and a half episodes, but frankly, given all the crap with Kavanaugh lately, I'm having to pace myself because it's so disgusting.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/uncover

Edited by scoutsadie
Corrected title and added link
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2018 at 1:05 AM, amazing707 said:

They seem to be very Scientologist almost. 

I just read something that Allison Mack is using scientology as part of her defense.

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2018 at 2:20 PM, AuntKrazy said:

I just read something that Allison Mack is using scientology as part of her defense.

Yeah...she’s arguing that using blackmail to force labor isn’t illegal since Scientology did the same thing and weren’t charged. Or something.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/smallville-star-allison-mack-cites-scientology-as-defense-in-federal-court-case-1202527179/

Edited by HarryPotterFan
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF 5

Now that this is bumped again, I want to recommend

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2C393X

Catherine Oxenberg’s daughter, India, was at the highest level of the cult. Although she has left, she remains isolated and kind of screwed up, last I read.

Catherine wa quite helpful in their downfall.

Good read.

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see the 20/20 special, but I did hear the podcast, "Uncover: Escaping NXIVM" by the CBC.  It's about 8 episodes long.  It' s still online through podcast providers. Riveting stuff.  I had no idea that Callie from Battlestar Gallactica was in the cult.  I really liked her in the series, so this makes me sad. ? 

I'll have to look for the 20/20 special.  The Catherine Oxenberg book intrigues me, too.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

To answer the question in the thread title, I would assume just a cult since they don’t really worship a higher deity but I’m open to being corrected!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

@EyesOpen - I would tend to agree on the surface with you; however, Scientology doesn't really worship a higher deity either - and it is considered a "religion" by the US system.  Buddhism isn't really theistic either, as far as I understand it.  I'm not familiar enough with Jainism to know if there is anything constituting "worship".

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

• 2 months later...

Yes!!!

So sentencing for both Mack and Raniere is in September.

• Upvote 4

Yeah there is a reporter who did podcast coverage of the trial. I'm not through it yet, can be found by typing in NXVIM.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1