IGNORED

Dillards 49: Dull Dillards Dulling

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

They were also two of the nineteen (!!) children born to their parents. 

Their mother, Susanna, was a piece of work:  http://carlarolfe.com/swesley.pdf 

Here is a nugget I liked:

"Never were children in better disposed to piety, or in more subjection to their parents until that scattering of them after the fire into several families. In those families, they were left at full liberty to converse with the servants, which before they had always been restrained from, and to run abroad and play with any children, good or bad. They soon learned to neglect a strict observation of the sabbath, and got knowledge of several songs and bad things which before they had no notion of. That civil behaviour which made them admired when at home, by all which saw them, was in great measure lost, and a clownish accent and many rude ways were learned, which were not reformed without some difficulty."

So the (traumatized?)kids got to live with some other families for a while after a fire in their home where they got to experience actual parts of life for a bit. Must have been like Disneyland. They were allowed to talk to servants! And play with other children and learn songs. They were probably allowed to move and not act like statues all the time and perhaps laugh! 

She doesn't sound very great-full that these families were able to take the kids on for a while. 

I bet reformation was quite painful (for the children)but she succeeded obviously.

And then 2 of the kids went on to form Methodism.

Good to know, thank you.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cathy re-tweeted:

Does she understand the words irony or hypocrite? No. Are her supporters really that stupid?  Yes. 

Or maybe she knows she is full of shit and does not care because well, Rufus

Ok so maybe I learned it incorrectly, but I was taught grace alone (in a Baptist church in the Caribbean) but we are also believe in Arminianism. I don't think the grace-alone doctrine means you are Calvinist. It just means that you can't save yourself by anything you do because of God's omnipotence. 

Fun fact: Apparently, traditional Baptists support separation of church and state. My church puts that in their fundamentals of what 'Baptists' believe...obviously that differs in various churches, regions and people. 

Yes, the churches I went to were also both grace-alone and Arminian. They believe that salvation is a gift you accept from God, so they don't see it as something you give yourself credit for.

This seems to be Derick’s response to Trump’s ‘shithole countries’ remark.

My first reaction was “Who you calling crappy, bitch?”. Like, most of the reasons these countries are ‘crappy’ (my Western and capitalist standards) is because they were freaking colonized and continue to deal with the effects of that. 

Derck is such an asshole. I’m also subtracting extra points for him retweeting the insufferably misogynistic and racist Ben Shapiro. 

EBD6C890-9D04-4348-9645-D7F1CD0B03A5.png

I stumbled across this thread title and immediately burst into song:

4 Dullards Dulling.... FIVE GOLDEN RINGS

Ok, I am done now. 

(Almost)

<apologizing if it has been covered upthread, I was skimming and came to the end>

At least that tweet he retweeted seems to be condemning Trump. The worst part of what Trump said wasn't calling other countries shitholes (though that's bad enough), it was saying that there's something wrong with the people who come from those countries. Throughout history the vast majority of American immigrants came from bad situations -- that's why they left -- but coming from a bad situation doesn't mean they didn't bring value to their new country.

On 1/12/2018 at 6:28 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

Can I just point out how absolutely beautiful Jana is in this photo?

This. I'm not sure what is going on with whichever fundie young men that Jana was not snapped up long ago.  I do NOT want these guys on my team. She would make a terrific wife and somebody better get with the program here. 

4 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Here is a nugget I liked:

"Never were children in better disposed to piety, or in more subjection to their parents until that scattering of them after the fire into several families. In those families, they were left at full liberty to converse with the servants, which before they had always been restrained from, and to run abroad and play with any children, good or bad. They soon learned to neglect a strict observation of the sabbath, and got knowledge of several songs and bad things which before they had no notion of. That civil behaviour which made them admired when at home, by all which saw them, was in great measure lost, and a clownish accent and many rude ways were learned, which were not reformed without some difficulty."

So the (traumatized?)kids got to live with some other families for a while after a fire in their home where they got to experience actual parts of life for a bit. Must have been like Disneyland. They were allowed to talk to servants! And play with other children and learn songs. They were probably allowed to move and not act like statues all the time and perhaps laugh! 

She doesn't sound very great-full that these families were able to take the kids on for a while. 

I bet reformation was quite painful (for the children)but she succeeded obviously.

And then 2 of the kids went on to form Methodism.

Good to know, thank you.

Dear Rufus, what a horrible woman, and the fact that so many parents are still following those horrid beliefs and doing such cruel things to their own children. 

10 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

So the Duggars are really Methodist not baptist. 

No, they aren't Methodist, or Baptist, they are Gothardites who worship at the alter of Jim Bob. 

6 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

No, they aren't Methodist, or Baptist, they are Gothardites who worship at the alter of Jim Bob. 

I think you missed the point. I know they aren’t Methodist but if you read the article you would see why I called them that. 

4 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Cathy re-tweeted:

Does she understand the words irony or hypocrite? No. Are her supporters really that stupid?  Yes. 

Or maybe she knows she is full of shit and does not care because well, Rufus

Maybe Cathy should substitute "Child beating" for "Profanity" and see if she still agrees.

5 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Ok so maybe I learned it incorrectly, but I was taught grace alone (in a Baptist church in the Caribbean) but we are also believe in Arminianism. I don't think the grace-alone doctrine means you are Calvinist. It just means that you can't save yourself by anything you do because of God's omnipotence. 

Fun fact: Apparently, traditional Baptists support separation of church and state. My church puts that in their fundamentals of what 'Baptists' believe...obviously that differs in various churches, regions and people. 

5 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Yes, the churches I went to were also both grace-alone and Arminian. They believe that salvation is a gift you accept from God, so they don't see it as something you give yourself credit for.

Arminians still believe that grace is a God given gift, there’s no separation between grace alone and Arminianism. Both Calvin and Arminius taught grace is given by god and needed for salvation. 

The difference is that arminians believe in prevenient grace - grace given to all by God, with each individual deciding whether or not to respond whereas Calivists believe is efficacious or irresistible grace which is only given to Gods elect. This grace is irresistible and means the elect will always respond with faith in Jesus and therefore always be saved. 

1 hour ago, grandmadugger said:

No because they don’t subscribe to Methodist beliefs and just because the mother of the founders beat her children doesn’t mean the Methodist Church teaches that as the correct thing to do...

23 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Arminians still believe that grace is a God given gift, there’s no separation between grace alone and Arminianism. Both Calvin and Arminius taught grace is given by god and needed for salvation. 

Right, that's why I was confused by people treating them as if they are mutually exclusive, though I'd say that there is a separation in that you can be grace-alone and not Arminian.

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Right, that's why I was confused by people treating them as if they are mutually exclusive, though I'd say that there is a separation in that you can be grace-alone and not Arminian.

Yeah you can, that’s kinda the point. Calvinists believe in grace alone too. But the divergence in different theological schools of thought is in the type of grace 

10 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Baa!!!

Yes, but I've been fortunate enough to walk within the stones at sunrise. Except it was pouring with rain. lol

I went there at sunset and it's wonderful too.

7 hours ago, Rio said:

This. I'm not sure what is going on with whichever fundie young men that Jana was not snapped up long ago.  I do NOT want these guys on my team. She would make a terrific wife and somebody better get with the program here. 

It may have nothing to do with guys not showing interest and everything to do with Jana not having an interest in them - either because she didn’t like them or didn’t feel ready for marriage or because she has her eye on one person in particular who hasn’t approached them yet or because she just doesn’t want to be in a relationship. 

7 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

At least that tweet he retweeted seems to be condemning Trump. The worst part of what Trump said wasn't calling other countries shitholes (though that's bad enough), it was saying that there's something wrong with the people who come from those countries. Throughout history the vast majority of American immigrants came from bad situations -- that's why they left -- but coming from a bad situation doesn't mean they didn't bring value to their new country.

Yeah. I don’t necessarily disagree with that retweet either. There are some countries that aren’t great places because of colonization and interference by other more powerful countries (as @Jinder Rolespointed out), but that doesn’t mean the people there are crappy and don’t deserve the same chances that people in more well off countries get. 

Not only that, but there are crappy places within every country, including the US. Its been mentioned before, but the UN actually did some sort of investigation or study on poverty within the US. I don’t know the details, but I do know it was highly warranted and the results were pretty embarrassing for a country claiming to be the greatest ever. Acting like only certain countries have issues is downright idiotic and xenophobic (big surprise coming from Trump. :pb_rollseyes:)

1 hour ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I went there at sunset and it's wonderful too.

I've also been at sunset - but outside the stones. Being inside the stones is a whole other experience! 

The pants thing? The fact that I have seen Derick's tweets makes me think that the pants may be the only thing to come from it. I would love for Israel and Samuel to go to a normal school, but I think Jill is too clingy to let that happen. Plus Derick is just a trolling turd. Maybe that will change...

Four Dillards Dulling

Nearly three Forsyths

2.5 for JOKEN

and the Seewalds are procreating! (in all probability)

Can't fit JinJer into this yet..

I went to Stonehenge in the middle of the day. Can confirm that it is beautiful at all times of the day. I stood outside the stones like a pleb, though.

10 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:
12 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

No because they don’t subscribe to Methodist beliefs and just because the mother of the founders beat her children doesn’t mean the Methodist Church teaches that as the correct thing to do...

I think maybe @grandmadugger was trying to note the similarities between what the woman in this letter is talking about and the Duggars and a lot of fundamentalists in general? Such as the idea of isolating your kids from outside influences deemed "bad", training kids to not move when you don't think they should etc. I also noticed similarities while reading but they are common generalities and observations not direct links to each other. So no they are not Methodist and that letter isn't an outline of what Methodists believe or practice. 

I also think it's worth noting how much somebody like Michelle Duggar does have in common with this woman from the 1700's in regards to her outlooks and approaches to raising children.

8 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Not only that, but there are crappy places within every country, including the US.

Exactly this - Derrick, just because there are crappy areas, doesn't make the whole country crappy.

These countries should turn around and kindly remind Trump that he is a sh*thole and that Derrick is crappy.

Crappy is putting it mildly for Derrick though...

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived