IGNORED

Dillards 49: Dull Dillards Dulling

samurai_sarah

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

A lot of Jill’s praise of Derick seems to be food-related. Which makes sense given her childhood, where she had to fight for her portion of food. 

That is a good point, she admitted sneaking food and eating it in the bathroom. Derick bringing her food and drinks may please her more because of her upbringing. This is sad.

Jill is looking amazing and she seems happier surrounded by the people from the Church, Jill is more comfortable getting involved with them than she ever was in Central America. Derick better not decide to travel abroad again for missionary work because it isn't in any of their best interests. I may not like or agree with their beliefs but I want her and the boys to be happy.

23 hours ago, crazysnark said:

It's been cold AF here lately (for us anyways). We have had TWO snow days and were so happy to see the temp leave the 30's yesterday. haha I never buy winter clothes because there is only a few cold days a year. I am so regretting that right now. 

I'm the opposite I rarely buy summer clothing, summer in Scotland is two nice days in June followed by months of rain, that is slightly warmer than it is in winter. 

On 1/19/2018 at 3:09 PM, DancingPhalanges said:

I loved it. His books are very appealing to anyone interested in the subject. I especially loved his book on the Plantagenets but in general I just really like his writing style. 

I tend to like Alison Weir's books, but I think I'ma read this. I have been nuts about Elizabeth I and the Tudors since adolescence, and just in the past few years have gotten into the Cousins' War era. 

I also love Philippa Gregory's novels, but mostly for the entertainment value. I get irritated sometimes when she just makes stuff up, but as an artist married to a writer, I understand artistic license and can appreciate why she does it most of the time.

There was no reason to make Isabel Neville's first baby into a boy, for instance...or at least no good reason. In my opinion.

Sorry to return to this thread drift if everyone has moved on. I am behind; got hijacked by JillRod and various weens.

5 minutes ago, Texas Heifer said:

I tend to like Alison Weir's books, but I think I'ma read this. I have been nuts about Elizabeth I and the Tudors since adolescence, and just in the past few years have gotten into the Cousins' War era. 

I also love Philippa Gregory's novels, but mostly for the entertainment value. I get irritated sometimes when she just makes stuff up, but as an artist married to a writer, I understand artistic license and can appreciate why she does it most of the time.

There was no reason to make Isabel Neville's first baby into a boy, for instance...or at least no good reason. In my opinion.

Sorry to return to this thread drift if everyone has moved on. I am behind; got hijacked by JillRod and various weens.

This this was me in the book store last night. I didn't buy anything because I have plenty to read now. A pic for future possibilities. 

Spoiler

IMG_8317.thumb.JPG.184200da78b8ded0f4fe3a0e155d81b6.JPG

4 minutes ago, Texas Heifer said:

I have no issue whatsoever with historical fiction authors making shit up - it's fiction, after all - if you feel the need to be a total slave to the facts, write non-fiction - but the issue I have is when historical fiction authors make shit up and then claim that their writing reflects reality/historical fact. The bothers me, because people reading it accept it and misinformation spreads. If you want to write a story about Elizabeth of York banging her uncle, cool, but don't pass it off as historical fact. Philippa Gregory is unfortunately notorious for that. Doesn't mean her books can't be enjoyed, but it's a huge pet peeve for me.

I think Alison Weir's a great writer, but she's a little too credulous. She's a bit too willing to accept the word of contemporary sources when it backs up her own opinion, and to reject it when it doesn't. Way too many statements like, "This guy said X, and he was reliable on other stuff, and he had no reason to lie, so we can therefore accept what he said as fact." Well... no, we can't. It's like she doesn't realize that even people who were alive at the time, even if they seemed like really nice, honest people, may have had motivation to lie or bend the truth, or may have just misremembered stuff that happened decades prior. 

But no writer of history or historical fiction is perfect. They all make mistakes or have opinions I disagree with. 

I really enjoyed Dan Jones's book on the Wars of the Roses, and his book on the Plantagenets is on my to-read list.

7 minutes ago, DancingPhalanges said:

This this was me in the book store last night. I didn't buy anything because I have plenty to read now. A pic for future possibilities. 

Hide contents

Oooooo, noice! I shall tuck this away for the future!

Though I am a little ashamed to admit I am exclusively an e-reader. I love the convenience of carrying my whole library with me. I'm also someone who keeps her old hardcopies, just in case there's an apocalypse. I will expire with nothing to read! /tinfoil hat

(I also have an oil lamp. YOU NEVER KNOW)

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Way too many statements like, "This guy said X, and he was reliable on other stuff, and he had no reason to lie, so we can therefore accept what he said as fact."

Omg, she SO does this! I'm currently reading The Princes in the Tower, and she's making my eyes cross.

Though the only time I can remember her doing this at the moment (gabapentin makes me loopy), she's giving credit to Thomas More, so she's probably right, this time.

On 1/19/2018 at 1:48 PM, byzant said:

can I be drowned in a butt of malmsey wine? No other resemblance but I always thought it sounded like one of the best english royal deaths.

This sounds like the worst of the royal deaths to me! After a pleural effusion, two chest tubes, a partially collapsed lung, pneumonia and pleurisy that left me with asthma, I have a horror of suffocation/drowning. 

Give me Anne Boleyn's quick death by a good French swordsman any day over being drowned. Gaaaaah

23 minutes ago, Texas Heifer said:

Though I am a little ashamed to admit I am exclusively an e-reader. I love the convenience of carrying my whole library with me. I'm also someone who keeps her old hardcopies, just in case there's an apocalypse. I will expire with nothing to read! /tinfoil hat

I still love having a physical in my hands, but I love ebooks too! They're so convenient, and often cheaper! I don't think it has to be one or the other. Sometimes I really want a physical book, but sometimes the ebook version is just a better choice.

23 minutes ago, Texas Heifer said:

Omg, she SO does this! I'm currently reading The Princes in the Tower, and she's making my eyes cross.

I literally just finished reading one of her other nonfiction books, so it's just really fresh in my mind at the moment, haha! There's a new book out called 'The Survival of the Princes in the Tower' - I can't remember the author, and I haven't read it myself, but I've heard good things.

11 minutes ago, Texas Heifer said:

Give me Anne Boleyn's quick death by a good French swordsman any day over being drowned. Gaaaaah

Oh man, I also just finished watching the Wolf Hall mini series the other day. Have you seen it? The beheading scene is amazingly well done and also possibly one of the creepiest things I've ever watched.

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Oh man, I also just finished watching the Wolf Hall mini series the other day. Have you seen it? The beheading scene is amazingly well done and also possibly one of the creepiest things I've ever watched.

Can I see that on Amazon as a Prime member? Because I will go watch that right now RIGHT NOOOOOWWWWW

7 minutes ago, Texas Heifer said:

Can I see that on Amazon as a Prime member? Because I will go watch that right now RIGHT NOOOOOWWWWW

Not sure (I bought it on iTunes), but definitely check it out if you find it. I really enjoyed it! 

Wolf Hall has an amazing cast, I can't remember if I watched on Amazon or Hulu but watch it if you can. 

I get books from the library, e-books, and finally I buy books for my personal library. I like to organize and re-read them. It's a form of therapy. 

Alison Weir introduced me to Eleanor of Aquitaine, I'm grateful to her for that. She made it so I sought out other books on Eleanor. 

Phillipa Gregory was good escapism for me. I haven't read her in a long time but I want to read The Last Tudor. 

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

That is a good point, she admitted sneaking food and eating it in the bathroom. Derick bringing her food and drinks may please her more because of her upbringing. This is sad.

Jill is looking amazing and she seems happier surrounded by the people from the Church, Jill is more comfortable getting involved with them than she ever was in Central America. Derick better not decide to travel abroad again for missionary work because it isn't in any of their best interests. I may not like or agree with their beliefs but I want her and the boys to be happy.

I'm the opposite I rarely buy summer clothing, summer in Scotland is two nice days in June followed by months of rain, that is slightly warmer than it is in winter. 

Pop across to Edinburgh in June, we get three days of sunshine. It's much drier out east than in the west.:my_biggrin:

(Mods,apologies in advance. Dinosaurs can't snip.)

58 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

The beheading scene is amazingly well done and also possibly one of the creepiest things I've ever watched.

I just watched it. Holy cow. You are so right...it felt like I was there!

If you're (general you're) a Prime member, the whole series is available included in your membership, along with a crapload of other related things. I already watched The White Queen, and really liked it. The White Princess wasn't nearly as good, though.

51 minutes ago, DancingPhalanges said:

I buy books for my personal library. I like to organize and re-read them. It's a form of therapy. 

I re-read all the time. I'll read a book and immediately re-read it. Right now I'm reading a book I haven't read before, but that isn't common. Even e-books are expensive, and while I'd like to borrow from a library, I have no idea where one is in my area. Maybe I should Google.

12 minutes ago, Texas Heifer said:

If you're (general you're) a Prime member

I keep trying to read about Amazon Prime but I don’t think I’m a very good investigator. How do I figure out what shows specifically I get if I become a prime member? Is there a list somewhere? Can I pay extra and get HBO or ESPN? I’m complete rubbish at figuring this out. 

1 hour ago, DancingPhalanges said:

Reveal hidden contents

You are my people! I'm not ashamed to admit that I take pictures of books off the Lucky Day shelf and others at the library to add to my lists of books to read. (If I already have quite a stack to read. Lucky Day books are a two week checkout, no holds and no renewals, limit 2)

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

have no issue whatsoever with historical fiction authors making shit up - it's fiction, after all - if you feel the need to be a total slave to the facts, write non-fiction - but the issue I have is when historical fiction authors make shit up and then claim that their writing reflects reality/historical fact. The bothers me, because people reading it accept it and misinformation spreads. If you want to write a story about Elizabeth of York banging her uncle, cool, but don't pass it off as historical fact. Philippa Gregory is unfortunately notorious for that. Doesn't mean her books can't be enjoyed, but it's a huge pet peeve for me.

Yeah, this is really what I meant when I said it bugs me when they just make stuff up. It's because people think it's true. When I was a kid, I got in an argument with a neighbor kid regarding Little House on the Prairie. She claimed the TV show was the true version. It really frosted my cookies.

Just when you think Jill is down for the count and will never look nice again she pops up with some nice heels and a dress that is acceptable for the event. Way to go Jill, you still got it (when you need to). This gives me hope. I wish that one day one of the Duggar women will get a really cute haircut/style, I know I'm wishing big. This may have been mentioned numerous times and I have missed it but does Derrick have invisible braces? First time I have noticed it.

Y’all should check out Elizabeth Chadwick. Historical fiction around the time period of Elenor of Aquitaine. One series is about William Marshal whose life intertwined with Henry II and all those power players. He wasn’t born noble or anything but his life was crazy. She also did a trilogy from the POV of Elenor of Aquitaine. It’s historical fiction so it shouldn’t be taken as gospel truth but I love her books. My in laws gave me some my very first Christmas with my SO they are so good. 

Going back about week and a half,,,

On 1/16/2018 at 4:45 PM, VelociRapture said:

My dog walks on furniture and tries jumping into trees like a cat does. As for baby’s first broomstick... she is pretty fond of knocking it over when we have it leaning up against the kitchen wall. I have a photo somewhere of her half laying on it like she’s riding it. :pb_lol:

JK Rowling has never said what happened to their cat, and I’m afraid to ask. Because she likes breaking our hearts and might have killed off the cat for no reason other than to make me need more therapy (okay, she admitted that she’s cried after killing off characters, but still). Killing off Hedwig was fucked up. I get it, it’s a symbol of the end of his childhood and Hedwig was with him when he was first introduced to magic. And I’m still not over Fred. But I am just such a cat lady I won’t accept anything other than Mrs. Figg taking their cat in. And that’s why she always showed off her cats to Harry whenever she babysat, because she was hoping he’d remember. I just wrote this head-cannon after reading your post, and I’ve decided it is true. I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING ELSE.

And I’m increidbly proud of your daughter. We’ll make a quidditch player out of her!!! 

I’ll be on the look out for your posts after March 5th!

On 1/17/2018 at 7:31 PM, Jenn The Heathen said:

ETA: Wouldn’t it be fantastic if the modern royals were as off the wall as their ancestors?  Harry decides he’s going to be king, offs Will and locks the kids in a tower?

Something I’ve been wondering for years: When did it stop being acceptable for royals to kill off one another in order to be king? And why? What made this happen?

On 1/18/2018 at 2:30 PM, libgirl2 said:

Imagine how the world would have been different if he had lived. 

I’ve thought about this as well. How would it have affected the Golden Age /enlightenment that occurred under Elizabeth I? How would it have affected the British Empire and colonialization? Slavery? War? 

On 1/20/2018 at 1:48 PM, Jenn The Heathen said:

Re: the thought of Derek appealing to college kids...

When I was in college there was this local older guy (I have no clue how old he was then, 30s or 40s probably) who would stand outside one of the classroom buildings and “preach” about how we were all going to hell for any variety of offenses.  Sometimes it was sex, sometimes it was drinking and doing drugs, worshipping false idols, you name it.  I’m pretty sure none of us took him seriously.  Even the more conservative, religious of my friends thought he needed to get off his high horse.  

That’s who I think of when I think of Derek trying to appeal to college kids.

So basically Derick is one of those preachers that goes to college campuses and shouts about sin and repentance, and has a long list of the types of people who go to hell. And no one listens except to mock, and his sign makes hell look like a  really fun party with lots of cool people.

Spoiler

img-0761-768x1024.jpg

reubenisrael.jpg

Screen-Shot-2013-07-05-at-1.04.27-PM-e13

55E6AC44-53B4-473F-99C4-5160DE1C08C3.jpeg.5e84092a91270000807b7722e9680b9d.jpeg

On 1/24/2018 at 12:46 PM, Feministe9000 said:

Wow Jill, if you think this qualifies as #besthubbyintheworld, you really are living a sad existence.

-snip-
I mean for God's sake Derick! Surely even you can see how the praise doesn't match the action.
It's wayyy overzealous, exaggerated. If I were you, it would make me uncomfortable, but you love it don't you? Makes me want to vomit.

At this point I’m waiting for, “Derick can wipe his own butt!! #besthubbyever”

Also why can’t he just buy her a can of Ovaltine or a bottle or hershey’s syrup and then she can have chocolate milk whenever she wants? And she can even let Izzy have some.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:30 AM, CTRLZero said:

Thanks, I learned something new!  I'm always suspicious when I see potential "product placement."

:my_smile:

But who would want disgraced transphobic Z-list celebrities promoting their products? Granted even the moms on Teen Mom who have been arrested multiple times still get to promote products, but at least they’re still on TV...

On 1/25/2018 at 7:23 PM, Carm_88 said:

I don't have a husband, but I bought myself red velvet cupcakes! So I'm the #bestmeEVER! Treat yourself! :P

I bought myself candy and refuse to share 

10 hours ago, Fun Undies said:

But also, I saw this image earlier on Instagram and thought I'd share lol.  Jill's getting there with her preacher's wife starter pack :pb_lol:

Hide contents

Screenshot_20180128-080105.thumb.png.b825690fc508eb6553325cd07db6ceec.png

If Jill gets a tattoo in Hebrew I will PLOTZ. Enough with this mashugana and her whole family’s fakakta obsession with appropriating Jewish culture. What shmucks. Oy vey, go shtup yourselves, Duggars.

(Also tattoos in Hebrew always strike me as odd because tattoos go against Jewish law. And when Christians get them I’m like, “Oy, most Jews don’t even know Hebrew. Who are you trying to fool?” But I guess they don’t have to worry about being buried in a Jewish cemetery...)

3 hours ago, Berty K said:

I keep trying to read about Amazon Prime but I don’t think I’m a very good investigator. How do I figure out what shows specifically I get if I become a prime member? Is there a list somewhere? Can I pay extra and get HBO or ESPN? I’m complete rubbish at figuring this out. 

I swear I responded to this...I guess it didn't go through. 

If you go to the search bar, hit the drop down menu and click on Amazon Video. It will tell you what videos are included. I do believe they have other channels for extra $, like Starz, and you get a month-long free trial.

You also get music included. I mean, it's limited, but I found a lot that I liked included in my regular membership. You can also do music unlimited  and books unlimited, and there's a month free trial for those, too.

Saw this on Twitter yesterday. :pb_lol: Bro Heifer didn't understand why it's funny, but y'all will.

Screenshot_2018-01-27-20-47-46_kindlephoto-145490.png.a7737267cba4c9d625b152983e15011a.png

12 hours ago, Texas Heifer said:

I tried SO hard to read that book. I worked on it and every single time I did, my eyes crossed and I started to fall asleep. Maybe I'll try again when the hours of sunshine are longer but damn. 

9 hours ago, freedom_for_all said:

She also did a trilogy from the POV of Elenor of Aquitaine. It’s historical fiction so it shouldn’t be taken as gospel truth but I love her books. 

The Summer Queen, The Winter Crown, and the Autumn Throne are Elizabeth Chadwick's books on Eleanor of Aquataine. I loved the first two and have been saving the last one! :) 

11 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Mrs. Figg taking their cat in. And that’s why she always showed off her cats to Harry whenever she babysat, because she was hoping he’d remember.

Head canon accepted and loved :my_heart:

The Dillards (minus Izzy) and JD visiting the Vuolos and some other folks during their recent trip to Texas. Sam is huge and looks close to outgrowing the infant seat already. He may already be too big for it but hard to tell. His head looks pretty close to the top of the shell.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived