IGNORED

Jana 6: What's in Store for 2018?

Coconut Flan

Jana has her building that we seem to not know what is going there plus her garden and the garden shed.  Perhaps there will be a real adventure in 2018.

Continued from here:

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Jana could have her own show. "The Great American Gardening Show" (like the Great Canadian Baking Show but ya know...about gardening). She could host it and teach people and they could have little garden-offs...then again, one episode would last around 6 months, as everyone waits until the seeds that they had planted sprout and grow. Ok, so maybe the concept of the show could be just an informative gardening show, with fundie guest stars. Jana, if you're reading this, call me. I volunteer as writer and director.

3 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

Maybe Jana could have her own show. "The Great American Gardening Show" (like the Great Canadian Baking Show but ya know...about gardening). She could host it and teach people and they could have little garden-offs...then again, one episode would last around 6 months, as everyone waits until the seeds that they had planted sprout and grow. Ok, so maybe the concept of the show could be just an informative gardening show, with fundie guest stars. Jana, if you're reading this, call me. I volunteer as writer and director.

No no no no no it's bake OFF!

If I understand correctly, it's called "Baking Show" in North America because of a trademark, but elsewhere it's The Great (insert nation) Bake Off!

I like the idea though.

I also really, really love watching Bake Off. Mary Berry is my baking idol.

10 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

as everyone waits until the seeds that they had planted sprout and grow.

Disagree. The seeds sprouting and growing would be in season three. Seasons one and two would be recaps of seed harvesting, seed packaging (complete with a field trip to a seed company for "educational purposes" for the Howlers and Lost Girls), seed shopping, talking heads about favorite flowers, inane questions from the producers asking the kidults to identify flowers, flashbacks to weddings to show the flowers used....

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Disagree. The seeds sprouting and growing would be in season three. Seasons one and two would be recaps of seed harvesting, seed packaging (complete with a field trip to a seed company for "educational purposes" for the Howlers and Lost Girls), seed shopping, talking heads about favorite flowers, inane questions from the producers asking the kidults to identify flowers, flashbacks to weddings to show the flowers used....

You forgot everyone being asked what flower they are. :pb_lol:

And of course there will be some special privileges for precious miracle Josie. Maybe she will pick the winners each week, despite not paying any attention to the competition. 

Can't let Jana have anything good just for herself now! 

Josie is the youngest still at home and aside from her issues if she still has any she will always be the baby and get the treatment the baby gets in even completely normal sized families. I think she is probably petted and doted and spoiled on by everyone even Jana. Maybe exp Jana. 

@Antipatriarch  You asked about how to pronounce Jana, and if it rhymed with banana.  Someone answered that it did & also that it rhymed with Anna.  Just to be completely clear, though,  as people on FJ have different accents (you know, "you say banana, I say bah-nah-nah" . . . and Anna can be pronounced Anne-a or Ahn-a), Jana rhymes with the sound in man, fan, can, etc.

I don't actually know what is wrong with me that I needed to reply to this. :my_blush:

LOL - I just mad my (Brit) husband pronounce "man" and "banana."

The way he says "man" is the same as the sound in Jana.

The way he says "banana" is the same as the sound in Donna.

7 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

You forgot everyone being asked what flower they are. :pb_lol:

And don't them started with asking all the siblings about all the gardening lingo: "What's a hoe?" "How about a codling moth?"

That could take up at least 2 episodes per season alone!

The first time I learned I had a Canadian accent was as a teenager when I was chatting with my good friend who's English over MSN messenger. He was writing a poem or something and asked me for words that rhymed with 'out'. I started listing: boat, coat, float, throat... He replied, "...None of which rhyme with 'out'." And I was like, "What the hell are you talking about, are you on drugs?" And that's when I learned.

Someone once asked me how I could speak Spanish, because I have an English accent. I still haven't figured out a good response. If I tell them they have an American accent, they'd just laugh.

@Bad Wolf I'm part Dominican and I've had some people be very confused that a Canadian would speak Spanish fluently. Mathematically, it just really does not seem to work out for their equation. We're only supposed to speak English and French apparently :laughing-jumpingpurple:

@singsingsing I had no clue that I had a Canadian accent until I spent time in Los Angeles (got my BA there) and people kept pointing it out. There are still some words here and there I'll pronounce/spell the U.S. way every once in a while, because after hearing/reading something so many times, it starts to sound/look right...except for "cheque", for example. "Check" will never look right when talking about a pay cheque LOL. I had one professor in the States who constantly pointed out my spelling...he kept insisting I choose to either spell everything the "American" or "British" way, but that I needed to stop mixing the two:violence-smack: 

In high school my english teacher had a whole list of those words for us. Whenever she felt like we were being cocky she brought them out. 

Wine whine vine fine comes to mind. I always found it hilarious. Stopped every conversation cause the first to talk got to do the first ten words. Over and over until they were all pronounced right one time in a row 

I loved that teacher. She was nuts (not because of that) and just the best teacher ever 

3 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

I had one professor in the States who constantly pointed out my spelling...he kept insisting I choose to either spell everything the "American" or "British" way, but that I needed to stop mixing the two

As an ESL person I can testify how difficult this is.

On 9-1-2018 at 8:44 AM, Kangaroo said:

No no no no no it's bake OFF!

If I understand correctly, it's called "Baking Show" in North America because of a trademark, but elsewhere it's The Great (insert nation) Bake Off!

I like the idea though.

I also really, really love watching Bake Off. Mary Berry is my baking idol.

Well 'Bake Off' only sounds that good because it is paired with British anyway.

That's why here they translated it into something Dutch which also has a nice alliteration (and means something like 'the whole of Holland is baking').

But the British version is much better.

In my American high school, we used a British written Psychology text book. If anyone knows anything about Psychology, you'll know behavior/behaviour is a very common word in the subject. So I spent the two years of my psychology course in high school spelling behavior with a "u", and also sometimes colo(u)r, while maintaining the American spellings of words like favorite.

Now I'm married to a Brit and everything gets all jumbled together :pb_lol:

I was watching an interview with Hugh Laurie when he was on House. He said someone wrote to him complaining that he laughed with an English accent. 

14 hours ago, singsingsing said:

The first time I learned I had a Canadian accent was as a teenager when I was chatting with my good friend who's English over MSN messenger. He was writing a poem or something and asked me for words that rhymed with 'out'. I started listing: boat, coat, float, throat... He replied, "...None of which rhyme with 'out'." And I was like, "What the hell are you talking about, are you on drugs?" And that's when I learned.

And then, I travel to the southern part of the USA. They all think that Minnesotans speak using the words like hoser, eh?, and other things.  The only words I feel like I routinely sound Canadian are out and about. 

Yes, I do say uffda, yeah sure you betcha and other things that make me a stereotypical MN. Not as much but it does slip out. 

While I mostly taught the GED side, I dealt with the higher level ESOL students a lot. They often were "dual enrolled" in both programs (GED math with me, but still taking English courses under ESOL) and I occasionally taught on the ESOL side. Quite a few of the students had initially started learning British English elsewhere before coming to America and I always felt like an ass when I enforced American spelling and vocabulary. They were technically correct, but the people who graded the essay section of the GED may give them a lower score since they weren't familiar with those terms and spellings. I had the same issue with students from former British colonies in the Caribbean. I hated being an ass, but I didn't want somebody to fail their essay because the person grading it was ignorant. For an "international" metro area, far too many people around here don't really stray from their cultural bubble except for culinary reasons. People honestly think it's weird that my oldest son is learning the third most spoken language in our area, but praise him for speaking the first two (much more culturally predominant ones) fluently.

49 minutes ago, bekkah said:

Yes, I do say uffda, yeah sure you betcha and other things that make me a stereotypical MN. Not as much but it does slip out. 

Or should you say, slip oat. :pb_lol:

8 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Or should you say, slip oat. :pb_lol:

Haha....Northern MN and Canada have more similarities than the south. I kinda wish that Canada would just annex Minnesota and call it good. 

17 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Jana rhymes with the sound in man, fan, can, etc.

not in philadelphia :pb_lol:

@MayMay1123   Really? I live right outside Philly (but I didn't grow up here).  What am I missing?  How do they say it in Philly?!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived