IGNORED

President Oprah Winfrey

singsingsing

So apparently there's some chatter about whether Oprah will run for President. I haven't watched her speech yet, but I've heard it was great. Um... I mean, she'd be light years better than Donald, so sure, why not? 

(Just to be clear, I would love for someone who actually has, you know, political, policy, governing experience to become President. But if it really came down to a choice between the Donald and Oprah... OPRAH, TAKE MY ENERGY. Or take my American family members' energy, 'cause I can't really do shit.)

My mum and I were texting about it today, trying to decide on her running mate:

"Joe Biden!"

"I'm worried he's going to get accused of groping."

"True, she needs a female running mate. Elizabeth Warren."

"No, I don't like her."

"Who's that one who's always in the news?"

"Kirsten Gillibrand."

"Yes. She needs someone with political experience."

"Barack Obama."

"Can he do that?!"

"This is the age of Trump. Anyone can do anything."

Wow....saw a part of her speech this morning and said to my 17 yo daughter...I'd vote for her for President! I would like to see someone with more political experience, but she's smart and would understand that she has to LEARN the job!

I'm sure there are many reasons this is a bad idea, but....

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

So apparently there's some chatter about whether Oprah will run for President. I haven't watched her speech yet, but I've heard it was great. Um... I mean, she'd be light years better than Donald, so sure, why not? 

(Just to be clear, I would love for someone who actually has, you know, political, policy, governing experience to become President. But if it really came down to a choice between the Donald and Oprah... OPRAH, TAKE MY ENERGY. Or take my American family members' energy, 'cause I can't really do shit.)

My mum and I were texting about it today, trying to decide on her running mate:

"Joe Biden!"

"I'm worried he's going to get accused of groping."

"True, she needs a female running mate. Elizabeth Warren."

"No, I don't like her."

"Who's that one who's always in the news?"

"Kirsten Gillibrand."

"Yes. She needs someone with political experience."

"Barack Obama."

"Can he do that?!"

"This is the age of Trump. Anyone can do anything."

I actually saw a tweet suggesting Oprah have Sally Yates as a running mate. And of course, I can't find it now...

At first glance it seems like not having any government experience would be a handicap but she could hardly do a worse job than Trump. On the bright side, running against a beloved, articulate, successful African American woman who made her own fortune would drive Trump absolutely bonkers. 

I just watched the speech. I agree with everyone else, I think it was amazing, powerful and very important. Does it mean she should run for president? I dunno. But I think getting into politics in some way, shape, or form would probably not be the worst idea for her.

I think at this point it's a tempest in a teapot. One thing I'll say is she certainly knows the pitfalls.

If it's her against Dump, then absolutely, but I cringe thinking about what Dumpy would say about her. In truth the candidate that he would have the hardest time beating would be a white man.

I love Oprah and have loved her since I saw her on her show almost 2 decades ago. That speech made me cry watching it live last night. I don't want her to run and she shouldn't run. I think we are all as a society at our wits end and heard a kickass speech that everyone's wheels are turning into "wow she should definitely run for the highest office". She is an amazing philanthropist and smart business woman but I really would rather have someone who you know has experience political wise. We just don't need another celebrity in office (unless they have the political experience). 

IF she ran for something smaller like congress or even mayor I'd support her 110%. Even though we would have the majority of similar policy ideas I still wouldn't want a novice running the country.

3 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

I love Oprah and have loved her since I saw her on her show almost 2 decades ago. That speech made me cry watching it live last night. I don't want her to run and she shouldn't run. I think we are all as a society at our wits end and heard a kickass speech that everyone's wheels are turning into "wow she should definitely run for the highest office". She is an amazing philanthropist and smart business woman but I really would rather have someone who you know has experience political wise. We just don't need another celebrity in office (unless they have the political experience). 

IF she ran for something smaller like congress or even mayor I'd support her 110%. Even though we would have the majority of similar policy ideas I still wouldn't want a novice running the country.

She would be an excellent advisor, ambassador and is head and shoulders above any existing cabinet member. I just don't want to watch her get torn apart by the right and she doesn't have the experience to be President. We need someone who knows how to deal with other politicians and has some basic relationship with the ones who wield the power in the House and Senate

Besides, if she were to run, can you imagine the crap that would be thrown at her? It would be Hillary and Michelle Obama X 1000.

I think John Schindler has put it very succinctly:

Nuff said.

The inexperience wouldn't do her any favors but I wouldn't be terrified if she was the president.  I don't know that much about her, I haven't seen her show. But she appears quite smart and she'd probably be better at learning at the job. At least she has some experience listening to people and taking in other points of view, and she doesn't seem like the insecure type who'd have to hire sycophants whose main function is to prop her self esteem instead of capable people who could show her the ropes. 

But there is an awful lot to learn...

I wonder about her business empire. Would she be willing to divest?

If it comes down to Oprah vs. Trump, then I would vote for her, but she wouldn't be my first choice for such an important job due to her lack of experience. I think it would be better for our country if she used her powerful voice to help elect whoever the Democratic candidate is in 2020.

I didn't see her speak, but I did read the transcript. It was an amazing speech, and I'm sure her delivery only magnified it. That said, I do not think she should run for president.  I think she could bring fresh and creative ideas, but before you can change/improve a system, I believe you need to know, from the inside, how the system works. I agree with those who say she should start smaller, state office maybe, and work her way up. She's crazy good at running a media empire, but that doesn't necessarily translate direct to the political world. She can get some experience, learn the ins and outs, and see what the whole thing entails before she jumps in to a presidential race.

I know that we all desperately want this dipshit out of office, but her candidacy seems like a knee jerk reaction that might not work out as well as we'd like. The democrats need to not panic, and go with a flashy name to combat Caligula. I don't think he'll be around for term 2. If he's not declared mentally incompetent or has been indicted by then, he will be primaried. While she would have a chance against him, I don't think she would against an established, republican candidate.

I believe that Oprah has substance as well as style, but the democrats do have options, with actual political experience as well. Kamela Harris, Sherrod Brown, Andrew Cuomo, Cory Booker, Kirsten Gillibrand are all new possibilities. Bernie and Joe Biden will probably run as well. I guess we can only see how it all plays out!

No. Just no. Oprah may be a great orator, a lovely human being, and share similar beliefs as me, but she’s still a political novice just like Trump. We need people in office who have relevant professional experience - not someone who has never held office and whose only qualifications are being famous and knowing how to sweet talk their base (regardless of which base we’re talking about.) 

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

At first glance it seems like not having any government experience would be a handicap but she could hardly do a worse job than Trump.

If my husband hits me with a tire iron and I leave him for a man who only hits me barehanded it's a marginal improvement but my life is still broken as fuck.

If we need another megalomaniac entertainer in the White House  I'll vote for Gene Simmons.  I hate him, too, but maybe he'll bring Ace and Peter back to play at the inauguration.

Jumping back out of the politic before I try to figure out what I need to say to get a script for Xanax.  

HAIL NAW!!! But, as someone said above, if it comes to Oprah vs Trump, I would vote for her. Hell, I would vote for Satan over Trump.

They've fired some of the misogynist journalists but a few stalwarts remain:

Exhibit A:  Some dude writes an article about an Oprah Winfrey speech in the Golden Globes and somehow it's an excuse to bash Hillary.

Not sure they'd ever let a woman win.

I agree. I respect Oprah, but don't think she should run. I do love this quote from the WaPo:

Then again, workaday Democrats and never-Trump Republicans would probably enjoy watching the meltdown that her candidacy would bring to the current inhabitant of the Oval Office. If she declared, Trump would immediately incur a psychological wound, if not a political one, said Steve Schmidt, senior adviser to McCain in 2008.

“Oprah is, in fact, a self-made billionaire; Trump pretends to be one,” Schmidt said. “Oprah is an enormous TV star, by orders of magnitude bigger than anything Trump accomplished in that space. And lastly she’s a powerful, smart, beloved African American woman, and Trump seems to have a reflective response towards African Americans and women who he views as threats or are critical of him.”

The tantrum would be epic.

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I agree. I respect Oprah, but don't think she should run. I do love this quote from the WaPo:

Yeah.  I would pay cash money to see the 2am tweet storms that would result.  Especially if she beat him in an election.  To see Fuck Face von Clownstick followed by a successful African American woman would be so awesome.

I'm not entirely sold on the idea of her running given her lack of experience and foisting guys like Dr. Phil on us all.  But if the Democratic party saw fit to have her be their candidate then I would support Oprah in 2020.  She would be a million times better than fuck face.  (Hell even a warm bag of shit would be better than him).

Honestly I love Oprah. She said a lot of powerful things... but this is the same thing I complain about with Trump. No qualifications, no experience, too much money...

I don't want it to get to a point where anybody gets elected because people like what they hear

11 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Honestly I love Oprah. She said a lot of powerful things... but this is the same thing I complain about with Trump. No qualifications, no experience, too much money...

I don't want it to get to a point where anybody gets elected because people like what they hear

Also, I couldn’t see Oprah having to deal with the more unsavory aspects of being president, especially matters related to covert operations and war/peace. She’ll do more good by remaining a private citizen and helping to bring people together on an individual level.

16 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Yes, but imagine this: the staff would immediately be dispatched to watch all 20(?) seasons of her show and read every issue of her magazine, looking for something for Dumpfy to use against her. Oddly, after 2 to 3 weeks of this a change would overtake some of the staffers. Some would exit, some would start questioning why people are always sucking up to that old guy with the dead weasel on his head and others would suffer a complete guilt-induced breakdown.

Hope Hicks would turn the steamer up a little too high, KellyAnne would take an extended vacation, and SHS would begin to answer every question with "I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine, and make no mistake, it's just a guess." Then she'd swear off make-up, become a Buddhist and move to Kathmandu.

Archived