IGNORED

The baby name thread!

Palimpsest

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

But There are certain names most anyone can agree will never come back in style... Hortense, Mildred, Bertha, or Ebenezer,  for instance.

Haha. I considered Mildred (nickname Milly) for a girl, my partner suggested Ebenezer (nickname Ben) for a boy... to be fair we didn’t select either, but we considered them. 

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always said Hortense will never come back in America because it just sounds like Whore-Tense and both of those words just aren't appealing. I doubt Dick will ever come back as well. 

On January 19, 2018 at 1:28 AM, Markie said:

There are so many great name choices here. If I were a Duggar or Duggar spouse (God forbid) I would totally read here but then I would certainly choose a name not on anyone's list. That would seriously piss me off if one of my favourite names was also a fav in the name pools. 

I thought the same thing. That if I were a Duggar, I would go rogue and choose a name that had not been mentioned. Then again, it isn't terrible if internet strangers like my kids name. I think the suggestions are a good reflection of how the names will be received in general, and it could be viewed as useful feedback.

20 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Well, Fundies tend to be a  bit behind the trends. I'm surprised 80's trendy babies names weren't more popular with children born into that cult in the 90's.

Case in point, the Bates. I think Allie, Lexi, Brooklyn, Kaci, and Zoey are all 80's names. Bradley sounds 60's, but in a timeless way, and Everly and Carson are contemporary to me. 

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I wouldn't call Rachel an 80s name, though, really. It's been fairly popular for centuries

True. Rachel is a fundie favorite from the Old Testament. It has been going strong for 2,000 years. It peaked in the 80's, but I don't think it will ever go out of the style. 

image.png.81bc3e8854ea9b7b581173cb0dff46af.png

53 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Case in point, the Bates. I think Allie, Lexi, Brooklyn, Kaci, and Zoey are all 80's names. Bradley sounds 60's, but in a timeless way, and Everly and Carson are contemporary to me. 

Carson is actually a nickname. Technically, his name's is Charles (as is Chad), but they use nicknames to distinguish between Chad's father, Chad and Carson. Your point definitely still applies even as a nickname tough!

39 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

True. Rachel is a fundie favorite from the Old Testament. It has been going strong for 2,000 years. It peaked in the 80's, but I don't think it will ever go out of the style. 

I quite like the name Rachel. It's something I'd consider if I was having a baby today. My name is very much a 70s/80s special, but I don't feel the same way about Rachel.

8 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Lexi is not an 80s name. It was never in the top 1000 before 1993. 

Allie was out of top 1000 in the majority of the 80s, but came into top 1000 in 1986, but didn't peak until 2010. 

Brooklyn was never in top 1000 before 1990. 

Zoe entered top 1000 in the mid-late 80s, but didn't reach top 500 until the 90s, in which it went from top 500 to (almost) top 100. 

Bradley peaked in the late 70s-early 80s. 

If you want to check when a name was popular in the US, go to behindthename.com, and type in the name. (For England & Wales I use https://visual.ons.gov.uk/baby-names-since-1904-how-has-yours-performed/ though it only shows top 100 names for that period. From 1996 onwards there is names.darkgreener.com) 

56 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Lexi is not an 80s name. It was never in the top 1000 before 1993. 

Allie was out of top 1000 in the majority of the 80s, but came into top 1000 in 1986, but didn't peak until 2010. 

Brooklyn was never in top 1000 before 1990. 

Zoe entered top 1000 in the mid-late 80s, but didn't reach top 500 until the 90s, in which it went from top 500 to (almost) top 100. 

Bradley peaked in the late 70s-early 80s. 

If you want to check when a name was popular in the US, go to behindthename.com, and type in the name. (For England & Wales I use https://visual.ons.gov.uk/baby-names-since-1904-how-has-yours-performed/ though it only shows top 100 names for that period. From 1996 onwards there is names.darkgreener.com) 

Allie and Lexi aren't names though, at least not where I'm from. I've known several of both, and Allie is always short for Allison (of which there were an abundance in the 80s-90s) and I've known some Lexis who were Alexa, Alexis, Alexandra, etc.

(Not trying to argue your stats, just remarking that Allie and Lexi certainly seem like 80s names to me.)

Bradley peaked in the 80's. I think because of Brad Pitt, born in 1963, and Brad from Fast Times at Ridgemont High (released 1982, Brad was a senior, that makes him born in 1964), I think of Brad as a 60's name. 

image.png.d3cef0b097873fa9614018bf406f23ac.png

1 hour ago, meee said:

Allie and Lexi aren't names though, at least not where I'm from. I've known several of both, and Allie is always short for Allison (of which there were an abundance in the 80s-90s) and I've known some Lexis who were Alexa, Alexis, Alexandra, etc.

(Not trying to argue your stats, just remarking that Allie and Lexi certainly seem like 80s names to me.)

Ah yes, I see, if a name was used as a nickname before it got used as a proper name, then it might seem very *insert decade*, and people associate it with that decade. Makes sense. Out of curiosity, would Alexandras be called Allie, or mainly/just Lexi? I know an Italian Alessandro called Alle (pronounced Allie). 

Also, when people use trendy, do you mean names that are popular (Emma, Olivia, Charlotte etc), or modern names (Everly, Carson, Aria), or these newly invented names (Raelynn, Braelynn, Jaelynn etc), or different spellings of (often modern) names (Mackynzie, Addisyn, Karsyn). Or even names that are popular now, but wasn't in the past, and might not be in the future? I think people have different definitions/associations for trendy, and also, I'm not American, so I might have completely different associations with some of the names, due to not coming across them. What names do people consider trendy? 

'Trendy' to me is a name that had a very fast rise and went from being not very popular at all to being super popular in a very short period of time. Go to behindthename.com and look up Addison, Scarlett, Nevaeh, Peyton, or Jayden, and check out the U.S. popularity graph at the bottom that tracks the popularity of the name since 1880, and you'll see what I mean.

Names like Emma, Olivia and Charlotte do kind of fit, but the difference is that they didn't come out of nowhere to the same extent. For example, Olivia had a fairly fast rise starting around 1990, but it had been hanging out in the top 200 since the mid-70s, and before that it wasn't unknown, it had been in the top 500-200 since the statistics started. Whereas Scarlett, aside from a couple blips in the 40s and 60s, didn't even show up in the rankings until it cracked the top 1000 in 1992. Nevaeh is probably the most extreme example, it showed up at #266 in 2001, peaked at #25 in 2010, and has been falling ever since.

You can also go to the rankings for a certain year and see how many spaces a name has moved up since the last year. The name 'Avianna' is still only at #453, but it shot up a whopping 295 spaces in a year.

I had a dream last night that Jinger and Jeremy had a boy and they named him William Jeremy and I thought "How boring". Jinger was also at my wedding, it was weird. 

William is a nice name though. 

Most of the names the Bates kids are called are more 00s names to me. Those names were not common in the UK until then. Bradley was heard of but wasn't popular and Allie is more common where I live as a boys name short for Alister, Rangers and Scotland player Ally McCoist springs to mind.

Brooklyn is more likely to be a boys name here too, thanks to the Beckham's using it for their oldest son. Amber and Ste from Teen Mom UK also used it for their son. Amber got hate from a few American viewers on twitter telling her she was cruel to give her son a girls name. 

Late 1979 baby here. In most of my classes in school there were at least 3 Sarahs (silent h optional) and 4 Jennifers (or Jen, Jenny, etc).

7 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Late 1979 baby here. In most of my classes in school there were at least 3 Sarahs (silent h optional) and 4 Jennifers (or Jen, Jenny, etc).

I was born in 1977.  It sounds like most of my classes in terms of the Jennifers, but there weren't many Sara(h)'s. However, there more than enough Amys, Kellys, & Melanies to make for the lack of Sara(h)s.

I'm updating my predictions with a few changes from the originals, and adding SiRen (I think this is the first time I've used one of those mashup couple names, but SiRen is hilarious):

Josh & Anna

Boy. Maxwell David Duggar. June 30th, 2019. 8lbs 7oz.

If it's a girl: Mariah Suzette Duggar.

Jill & Derick

Boy. Elijah Floyd Dillard. September 10, 2019. 10lbs even.

If it's a girl: Selah Michelle Dillard.

Jessa & Ben

Girl. Piper Grace Seewald. July 31, 2018. 8lbs 4oz.

If it's a boy: Lincoln Tozer Seewald. 

Jinger & Jeremy

Girl. Isabella Grace Vuolo. July 21, 2018. 7lbs 15oz.

If it's a boy: You know what, I have no flipping clue. Middle name Charles. I'll take the next few months to try and come up with a first name.

Joy & Austin

Boy. Wyatt Martyn Forsyth. March 4, 2018. 9lbs 11oz.

If it's a girl: Lily Anna Forsyth.

Joe & Kendra

Girl. Emma-Lynn Faith Duggar. July 12, 2018. 8lbs 5oz.

If it's a boy: Brody Paul Duggar.

Josiah & Lauren

Boy. Noah James Duggar. July 17, 2019. 8lbs 8oz.

If it's a girl: Reagan Lana Duggar.

*Caveat: I don't know what any of Lauren's siblings' names are. If it turns out she has a brother named Noah or a sister named Reagan, I'll have to change my guesses.

52 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

but SiRen is hilarious

:::curtsy:::

I'm actually quite proud of that one. :) 

43 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

:::curtsy:::

I'm actually quite proud of that one. :) 

This was your doing? 50 points to Slytherin! 

I was born in 1977.  It sounds like most of my classes in terms of the Jennifers, but there weren't many Sara(h)'s. However, there more than enough Amys, Kellys, & Melanies to make for the lack of Sara(h)s.

I know of two Melanie’s who are 1st graders and I know someone with a 3 yr old Melanie. Don’t know if it is trending or if that’s an odd coincidence.

I’m an early 70s baby. Every class I was ever in in school had at least one Stacy, Jen/Jenny/Jennifer and Amy. There were 4, 4 and 5 respectively in my graduating class.

My first name is one of them. And, fortunately, the only one of the three I like.

Going with the full moons lol.  Joy - boy - March 2 , 2018.

Kendra - girl - June 28, 2018.

Jinger - girl - July 27, 2018.

On 1/14/2018 at 2:01 PM, Jenn The Heathen said:

Hi, all.  I was MIA thanks to a very busy holiday season and then I saw that three Duggars were pregnant (speculation of 4) and that Josiah may have a lady friend, and well, I’m back.

I’m not even going to try to guess names because it’s soooo hard.  Really only Smuganna make it easier with their M theme.

As for birthdays and weights, though....

Joy:  A boy, born February 27 and he’ll be a big ol Duggar baby, weighing in at 9 lbs 4 oz

Kendra: A girl, born July 18, weighing 7 lbs 14 oz 

Jinger: A girl, born August 2, weighing 7 lbs 6 oz 

Jessa: A boy, born September 8, weighing 10 lbs 3 oz

I also expect pregnancy announcements from Jill and Anna before 2018 is through with the babies born in 2019.  If Josiah is courting, he’ll have a 2018 pregnancy announcement as well.  I also think Joy could have an end of 2018/early 2019 announcement for Forsyth #2.

I’m changing some of my guesses for birthdates in light of some new info.

Joy: February 20

Kendra: June 17

Jinger: July 24

Jessa: I’m sticking with September 8 because she still hasn’t announced

Sex and weight guesses are the same.

I'm 1966 vintage. Popular names from my generation (or at least I went to school with a lot of them):

Girls:  Michelle, Renee (various spellings), Stephanie, Lisa, Laura, Kim(berly), Pam(ela), Tammy

Boys:  David, Michael, John, Brian/Bryan, Martin/Marty, Joel, Greg

If Jinger & Jeremy have a boy, I'm guessing Gaetano Carlo Vuolo. I'm thinking they'll have a girl, though I can't for the life of me think what they'd call her. Perhaps Lucia, Rosemary, or Felicia. 

Joy & Austin - Boy, 10lbs 13oz, February 22nd, Elijah Tristan

Jinger & Jeremy - Girl, 8lbs 1oz, July 19th, Lucia Evangeline ( @MadeItOut I see we think similarly for J&J girl names)

Joseph & Kendra - Boy, 8lbs 10oz, June 30th, Isaiah Joseph

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived