IGNORED

The baby name thread!

Palimpsest

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

So what do we do with ourselves now?  No babies to name!

Someone will announce a pregnancy before I get to throw a party. I guess we wait. 

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Someone will announce a pregnancy before I get to throw a party. I guess we wait. 

So wait... is this the first day in history when no Duggarette is pregnant?:clap:
As far as we know

12 minutes ago, NoJulius said:

So wait... is this the first day in history when no Duggarette is pregnant?:clap:
As far as we know

no that's already happened. there was a span between when Spurg was born and Jessa announced her pregnancy with Henry that there was no Duggerette pregnancy. then again it was just her and Jill married at that time and Anna had just had Meredith so of course she wouldn't pop out another for two years. 

Well Jill and Jessa are due for an announcement and Joy could actually announce again. 

4 hours ago, NoJulius said:

As far as we know

If Lauren goes by the trend she should be pregnant by now, it has been three weeks already!

So now that we don’t have a grand Duggar on the way for a while, I thought it would be fun to rank their names! (Also I’m on vacation and bored lol)

my ranking:

1. Meredith Grace

Classical, timeless and cute. First name and middle name flow really well. No weirdness. 

2. Mason Garrett

I really like the name Mason. I think it’s pretty modern but it still fits an adult well. The 2 names sound great together and I like the ode to Michelle’s dad

3. Michael James

I like that it’s timeless and normal, but it might be a little too normal. Both names are super common so it doesn’t stand out as much 

4. Garrett David

I like the family connection and it’s more unlike than Michael James. I didn’t think both names sounded good together at first but I kinda like the combination now

5. Gideon Martyn

love love love love the name Gideon but I don’t like the Kreative spelling of Martin. It could’ve been way worse though and it is a family name (Austin’s maternal grandpa) so I’m not that mad at it. 

6. Marcus Anthony

The fact that it resembles the name of the Roman politician makes me giggle but I still don’t think it has something particularly bad that stands out

7. Felicity Nicole

Like both names but I don’t think they go together at all. Since Felicity is a pretty long name I would’ve paired it with a one syllable middle name (Felicity Rose, Felicity Ruth, Felicity Elle)

8. Mackynzie Renee

The spelling of Mackynzie makes me cringe a whole lot more than Martyn. 

9. Israel David

The fact that they decided to make it political (Derick’s Instagram post) bugs me. Otherwise it would’nt have been that bad but ugh

10. Samuel Scott

I don’t like alliteration names it makes it sound like a cartoon character 

11. Henry Wilberforce

who name their kid Wilberforce?! Points for using it as a middle name though

12. Spurgeon Elliot

Who names their kid Spurgeon?!

ooh Fun okay 

1. Felicity Nicole. 

I think they sound fine together and I love Felicity so even if it may be a tiny bit choppy I'm still leaving it at number one since Nicole is Jinger's middle name. 

2. Henry Wilberforce. 

okay I hate Wiberforce but ah it's just a middle name and I love the name Henry so....

3. Meredith Grace

Love Meredith and Grace is okay I just like Felicity and Henry more then Meredith 

4, Garrett David 

Okay I don't really like or hate either name I just have a soft spot for Great-Grandparent namesakes 

5. Gideon Martyn 

like Gideon not a big fan of Martyn even spelled Martin but family so it's still in the top five. 

6.  Mackynzie Renee hate the spelling but over all not a bad name. 

7 Mason Garrett 

I don't hate it but I forget this kid plus I still think Josh and Anna should have left Garrett to Joe so those two things knock it down. 

8. Marcus Anthony

Okay I giggle every time I hear it because of Marc Antony that knocked it down. 

9. Samuel Scott

not a fan of either name really 

10. Micheal James. 

Just to over used and boring 

11. Israel David

still hate this name but hey at least it's not Spurgeon right?

Spurgeon Elliot 

they should have named that poor kid Elliot. 

I don't know how her name is actually pronounced, but to me McKynzie would be pronounced Mc Kin Zie over Mc Ken Zie

The only name I shake my head at is, of course, Spurgeon.  It doesn't really grow on you, but I guess I'm more used to it now so it's not quite as jarring.

1. Michael James 

2. Samuel Scott 

3. Meredith Grace

4. Garrett David 

5. Felicity Nicole 

6. Mason Garrett 

7. Henry Wilberforce 

8. Marcus Anthony 

9. Gideon Martyn

10. Mackenzie Renee 

11. Israel David 

12. Spurgeon Elliott

1. Michael James

2. Mason Garrett

3. Samuel Scott

4. Felicity Nicole

5. Meredith Grace

6. Henry Wilberforce (glad it wasn’t inverted)

7. Marcus Anthony

8. Mackynzie Renee

9. Israel David

10. Garrett David

11. Gideon Martyn 

12. Spurgeon Elliot (would have been much higher ranked if inverted) 

Ranked by how well I like their first names with their surnames and if tied, I used how well the first and middle names blended together. Poor Spurgie!

1. Meredith Grace

2. Michael James

3. Garrett David

4. Mason Garrett

5. Gideon Martyn

6. Samuel Scott

7. Henry Wilberforce

8. Felicity Nicole

9. Mackynzie Renee

10. Marcus Anthony

11. Israel David. 

12. Spurgeon Elliott. 

Alright, I’m home sick, so why not?

1. Meredith Grace

2. Felicity Nicole

3. Michael James

4. Mason Garrett

5. Garrett David 

6. Samuel Scott

7. Mackynzie Renee

8. Henry Wilberforce

9. Marcus Anthony

10. Gideon Martyn

11. Israel David

12. Spurgeon Elliott

I'm going to rank them simply by first names because almost nobody uses their middle name for anything anyway.

1. Henry

2. Meredith

<SIZEABLE GAP>

3. Marcus

4. Samuel

5. Mason

6. Felicity

<LARGE GAP>

7. Michael

8. Israel

9. Garrett

10. Gideon

11. Mackynzie

<GRAND CANYON SIZED GAP>

12. Spurgeon

None of the names are ones I would choose but I like Felicity, Micheal, Marcus, Samuel and Henry the most. Mackynzie is an ok name but that spelling is horrible, Josh and Anna learned to at least use proper spellings since then so props to them for that. Garrett, Gideon, Mason and Meridith are not names I like but they are not horrible and perfectly fine. Israel and Spurgeon are my least favourite names, Israel mainly because Derick has posted polical stuff and used his son's name in the post. I still think Jessa wanted to name Spurgeon, Elliott but Ben won the argument. 

38 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

None of the names are ones I would choose but I like Felicity, Micheal, Marcus, Samuel and Henry the most. Mackynzie is an ok name but that spelling is horrible, Josh and Anna learned to at least use proper spellings since then so props to them for that. Garrett, Gideon, Mason and Meridith are not names I like but they are not horrible and perfectly fine. Israel and Spurgeon are my least favourite names, Israel mainly because Derick has posted polical stuff and used his son's name in the post. I still think Jessa wanted to name Spurgeon, Elliott but Ben won the argument. 

which scares me a little because i Have a feeling since Jessa seems to have won the battle with Henry's name. baby three will have a weird first name and normal middle name. 

First post, hi everyone! Anyways, here's my ranking of the grandduggar names:

1. Henry Wilberforce

2. Marcus Anthony

3. Meredith Grace

4. Gideon Martyn

5. Samuel Scott

6. Michael James

7. Garrett David

8. Felicity Nicole

9. Israel David

10. Mason Garrett

11. Spurgeon Elliot

12. Mackynzie Renée

I think I'm the only one who doesn't consider Spurgeon to be the worst name in that family :my_biggrin:

I’ll do mine just on first names too because I hate virtually all the middles and that would just be mean of me.

1) Henry

2) Michael

3) Gideon

4) Samuel

-Significant gap-

5) Marcus

6) Meredith 

7) Felicity

-Gigantic gap-

8) Garrett

9) Israel

-Astronomical gap-

10) Mackynzie

11) Spurgeon

12) Mason (I can’t give a valid reason why except that my tastes are... boring)

Just in case anyone is even remotely interested/gives a damn, here's my  list:

1.  Felicity
2. Meredith
3. Henry
4. Samuel (one of my nephew's name, so I have to like it)
5. Garrett
6. MacKynzie* 
7.  Isreal
8.  Mason
9. Michael
10. Gideon
11. Marcus
12  Spurgeon**

*I don't mind this name or the "creative" spelling.  Could be worse.

** I both fear for Spurgeon that this name will never be topped, and for any future grandduggars that it might be

1. Meredith Grace <3
2. Mason Garrett <3
3. Mackynzie Renee <3
4. Samuel Scott <3
5. Marcus Anthony
6. Henry Wilberforce
7. Garrett David
8. Felicity Nicole
9.  Gideon Martyn
10. Michael James
11. Israel David
12. Spurgeon Elliot

I generally like the M&Ms' names, as you can tell. :)

As far as first names go, Israel and Spurgeon are the only ones that I actually would say I dislike. The rest I either love, like, or think they're just okay. All just my personal opinion, of course.

Oh Lordy. Every time I read Henry Wilberforce, I hear it mentally in a monster truck rally announcer voice. HhENRRRRYYYYY WILBERFOOooRRRCE. It sound pretty badass.

I also imagine a piglet with a steroid body dressed as GI Joe.

Thank goodness the Seawald children won't have to face elementary school bullying.

On 7/21/2018 at 12:16 PM, SamiKatz said:

I don't know how her name is actually pronounced, but to me McKynzie would be pronounced Mc Kin Zie over Mc Ken Zie

The only name I shake my head at is, of course, Spurgeon.  It doesn't really grow on you, but I guess I'm more used to it now so it's not quite as jarring.

I'm a new poster but long time lurker and I'm sure we've had this conversation on this site. My understanding is that the Arkansas accent makes the soft e and I sound almost identical so that's why the spelling makes sense to them.

Also just going to do first names.

1. Felicity

This is a lovely, classic name.  It reminds me of the American Girl character.  It's unique without being fake/dumb/tryndy.

2.  Gideon

Interesting and unique!  Also, it's biblical without being too out there (*cough* Jedidiah *cough*)

3. Israel.  

I know a lot of people put this toward the ends of their lists but I like it.  I'm Jewish so I think it doesn't strike me as so weird.  I mean, the evangelical obsession with Israel (the country) is definitely very creepy, but the name itself is nice.

4.  Samuel 

A nice, classic name.

5. Garrett 

A little tryndy but not too bad.  It's interesting and sounds nice.

6. Michael

Nothing wrong with this name, really, but it's boring.  Too common, too.

7. Henry

Just not a super-fan of this.  But I don't hate it either.

8. Marcus

It sounds like "mucus."  I'm sorry.

9. Mackynzie

Sigh.  The spelling.

10. Spurgeon

I mean...

11.  Meredith

It just sounds too old-fashioned... but not even old-fashioned enough to be vintage. In my elementary school there was a secretary named Meredith, so it just makes me think of that generation.

12. Mason

I just... really dislike this name.  I know it's popular enough to not really be tryndy anymore but it still feels that way to me, while ALSO sounding really bland.  It just feels like chalk to me somehow.  Plus it makes me think of George Mason, the statesman.

On 7/25/2018 at 11:10 PM, PuttingTheFunInFundies said:

I think I'm the only one who doesn't consider Spurgeon to be the worst name in that family :my_biggrin:

I think Israel is the worst one. For the politics. Spurgeon isn’t growing on me, but I’m over the initial shock. 

Names I like and might actually consider naming a child on The Sims if I had one:

Michael James

Meredith Grace

Gideon Martyn

Garrett David

*Mackynzie Renee - only if it were spelt 'Mackenzie'

Names I like well enough but probably wouldn't use myself:

Mason Garrett

Israel David

Samuel Scott

Felicity Nicole

More or less neutral, maybe slightly negative:

Marcus Anthony

Mackynzie Renee (spelt like that)

Henry Wilberforce (Henry's nice, but Wilberforce is a bit much for me)

Nope:

Spurgeon Elliot

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived