IGNORED

Israel banning groups from entering cause BDS

47of74

Israel has decided that groups supporting BDS won't be allowed entry to Israel.  Including Code Pink, American Friends Service Committee (aka Quakers), and the Jewish Voice for Peace.

Israel published on Sunday the full list of organizations whose activists will be barred from entering the country. The so-called BDS blacklist was released by the Strategic Affairs Ministry.

Members of the 20 organizations on the list will not be allowed to enter the country due to their support for the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement against Israel. The list primarily includes European and American organizations as well as groups from Latin America, a group from South Africa and an international umbrella organization.

The American Friends Service Committee, a Quaker organization honored with the 1947 Nobel Peace Prize for assisting and rescuing victims of the Nazis, is among the list of groups whose activists Israel has announced it will bar from entering the Jewish State. On Saturday it was revealed that the left-wing organization Jewish Voice for Peace was on the list.

On instructions from Dery and Erdan, several individuals have already been denied entry into Israel over their support for BDS. Isabel Phiri, a citizen of Malawi living in Switzerland who is a senior official of the World Council of Churches, was put on a flight back after she arrived at Ben-Gurion Internationl Airport in December 2016. The Interior Ministry's Population and Immigration Authority said that this was "actually the first time that the State of Israel was clearly refusing entry to a tourist based on anti-Israel activity and promoting economic, cultural and academic boycotts against it."

Yeah I wouldn't visit Israel even if the government gave me an all expenses paid tour of the place.  It's unfortunate because I would have liked to have seen the Holy Land, but not as long as this policy is in place. 

By the way, it took a few minutes to track down that BDS stands for Boycott Divestment Sanction.  

The Quakers? The QUAKERS? What in the world could anyone possibly have against the Quakers, except that their services are incredibly boring? They don’t fight wars, they rescue people, they run some awesome schools.......the Quakers. My goodness. (I bet you that they’ve accidentally banned Quaker Oats too while they’re at it, even though those have nothing to do with actual Quakers.)

Yeah, let's cut off the AFSC who did so much post WW2 to help the Jews and other survivors. What a way for Israel to cut off their nose and spite their faces. 

I’m not at all surprised by this news. I’ve been reading Goliath by Max Blumenthal, which is an excellent expose of Israel’s increasingly paranoid, illiberal, and militaristic political culture. In particular, I was struck by the concerted efforts to push out Arab Israelis from using the electoral process to agitate for their rights. The push to ban groups that support BDS is really just about squelching any kind of dissent about the status quo. I remember during the Second Intifada how there was all this talk about how violent Palestinians supposedly were (no matter that far more of them were killed than Israelis) and now that they are trying to find an economic means of protest, this is considered “violent” too. For the Netanyahu government, no form of Palestinian protest is acceptable.

Archived