• Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

JillRod 50: Thinking of What She Can Take Advantage of Next

Happy
unsafetydancer
4 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

We need to practice better drifting over in Naugville

Totally agree, Poopistan has become a depressing and scary place of late. Admittedly it was always a bit grim.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Nikedagain?
4 minutes ago, unsafetydancer said:

Totally agree, Poopistan has become a depressing and scary place of late. Admittedly it was always a bit grim.

And when we do attempt thread drift and start enjoying it, the Naug trolls come in and start trouble! Even when the Nauglers aren't physically present, they're causing crazy!

Waffle Time
Hane

@Rachel333, I’ve learned a lot about Botswana after having read Alexander McCall Smith’s “No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency” novels and seeing the movie “A United Kingdom,” which was about its independence from Great Britain. (Loved the part about the discovery of diamonds AFTER independence!) HBO had a great series,which sadly lasted only one season, based on the McCall Smith novels and filmed in Botswana.

mane's mommy

@Hane I love McCall Smith (basically everything he writes especially 44 Scotland St series). I've been thinking about the #1 Ladies Detective series while reading the comments about Botswana. I agree, the show was good too. 

Edited by mane's mommy
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

quiversR4hunting
1 hour ago, unsafetydancer said:

My aunt is from Zimbabwe which shares a border with Botswana. She is very deeply religious and from how she has described it the whole of that area of Africa has a large number of Christians. I've never got why missionaries keep going there either; surely they are literally preaching to the converted in many cases. 

Same question goes for why the Duggars go to mainly Christian (Catholic) countries. To convert the people to the "right kind of christian" 

I really hope the locals make a lot of money off these mission vacation peeps. 

1 hour ago, Nikedagain? said:

I have to say - Best thread drifts ever! 

We need to practice better drifting over in Naugville ;)

I have learned way more than I ever thought I would know about shit because of the Nogs! People could so some serious unschooling on the threads:, law, science, wood shop, how to be a neighbor*, vlogging, how to care for animals*, money management*, etc!

*Some subjects you do the exact opposite as what is shown :D

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

Rachel333
1 hour ago, Hane said:

@Rachel333, I’ve learned a lot about Botswana after having read Alexander McCall Smith’s “No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency” novels and seeing the movie “A United Kingdom,” which was about its independence from Great Britain. (Loved the part about the discovery of diamonds AFTER independence!) HBO had a great series,which sadly lasted only one season, based on the McCall Smith novels and filmed in Botswana.

Yes, I watched the series and read the first book after I got back from Botswana. Reading the book was fun because there were a lot of little details I recognized, like how McCall Smith described the field I would walk across on my way to the clinic. The village the main character is from is the same village I stayed at for a week.

I haven't watched A United Kingdom yet, but I'd like to. I briefly saw Ian Khama, the current president and son of the couple portrayed in the movie, when he was switching planes at an airport.

Rhonda

I come in peace as a reader and poster from poopistan.  The comments over there about the Rods got me to lurking over here. I am de lurking to say a word about mission trips.

There are most certainly some mission trips that are stupid and pointless and more of a vacation and a .....hey look how great I am....I am going on a mission trip!

There are also some that are truly good organizations. In the past my husband and I have volunteered with a baptist disaster relief organization. It is mostly in the US. When disaster strikes, like a hurricane or a flood we travel to the affected area with a huge feeding unit. We set up and work our butts off making hot meals for people who have no power or water after a disaster. We don't go around bible beating people, we simply feed them. I can not tell you how much people appreciate a hot meal when they have been suffering after a disaster. 

There are also opportunities to go to places over seas and do things like build wells, and schools and things that benefit a community. I personally have not done one of these trips because I have always felt like even if I could afford the airfare these places would really be better off if that money was sent as a donation and could be used to hire locals to do the work. Now, if a disaster struck and I could afford the airfare I would go, but aside from that I just don't see the point.

I have no idea what this trip to Botswana is for or what they will be doing, my hunch is they won't be doing much at all but I guess we will see. I do think it's great for the girls to get to see other parts of the world and experience other cultures. It will probably be eye opening for them. 

I'll  head back to the outhouse now. Jill has been a nice distraction from the Naugs. It does get a bit distressing and depressing over there at times. Jill kids have a good life in comparison.

Spent
Coconut Flan

Carry on here: