Jump to content
IGNORED

Jinjer 35: The Baby Wait


Coconut Flan

Recommended Posts

Do we really know that Jinger's girls would wear pants? Michelle's girls didn't get to do a lot of the things she got to do.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Do we really know that Jinger's girls would wear pants? Michelle's girls didn't get to do a lot of the things she got to do.

I'm not going to speculate on if they will be able to wear pants, however I think the primary difference (to the best of my knowledge) is The Jkids weren't allowed to do things that Michelle did prior to her wonderful magical experience of being saved by King JB. Michelle wore pants, bikinis etc prior to her becoming fundie so for as long as she has had the kids she followed the same "modesty standards" that they were "encouraged" to follow. 

I think it would be a different situation if Jinger wore pants while pregnant/once she had the child/while raising said child but the child wasn't allowed to wear them. 

  • Upvote 16
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nope.   But he allows Jinger so he has no particular issue with girls in pants or jeans;I suspect shorts  might be a different matter but time will tell.Jim Bob wasn't ok with pants so no pants for the D sisters.  

47 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Do we really know that Jinger's girls would wear pants? Michelle's girls didn't get to do a lot of the things she got to do.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

I call upon our resident broomball expert @Rachel333 to comment on the difference between broomball and, say, Little League.

Ha, well I'm hardly an expert, but broomball wasn't an organized team sport, nor was it organized by a church. It was at the Jones Center, which is a community center founded by Christians but not exclusive to them. (There's a quote on the doors that says something like "All are welcome as long as they behave as ladies and gentlemen.") Anyone could come play and there were plenty of non-Christians, it was just particularly popular among homeschoolers (who would get offended by the presence of non-Christians anyway, naturally). There would be a series of games and I think anyone could just kind of join a side and go on the ice -- the division into teams was very informal and changed all the time, even throughout the night.

Even among homeschoolers, the Duggars were really into broomball and brought their own broomball equipment. They would take the whole family -- even any newborn babies -- every Friday night and leave well after midnight. The Duggar girls did play, especially Jessa and Jinger, but I mostly remember Jill talking to the other homeschooled girls there and Jana being pretty quiet and mostly sitting with all the other moms in the bleachers with the little kids watching the players.

Jim Bob was really competitive and I remember hearing other parents complain about that because he wouldn't let off even when he was playing against kids, and most people there were just there to socialize and have fun on the ice, not be seriously competitive.

I actually recently found an old picture of my brother and a Duggar boy playing broomball. I'm not sure which Duggar it was--Joseph maybe? My brother looks around 13 or 14, given his hairstyle (he went through a phase of wanting long hair--it got to about shoulder-length and wasn't really a great look on him :pb_lol:), so I'd guess this was 10-11 years ago.

Spoiler

WUKPPBu.png

 

Edited by Rachel333
  • Upvote 38
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

as someone who's played hockey all his life, broom ball has fascinated me since I first heard about it. I presume it would be more blind-friendly since the pace of the game is probably a lot slower than regular hockey (aka "ice hockey" outside of the North American continent :) ). One of my friends's sisters is legally blind and loves sports, so I always have her in mind when finding out about new sports...sorry, for the thought drift. But I do like that your brother is wearing shorts on the ice. Real Great White North material, let me tell you what ;). No, seriously, I appreciate your insight. I love sports and so would love to try this one, too. Are there special shoes that players wear or just regular shoes? I can't quite tell from the picture. Still surprised players don't seem to be wearing much safety equipment...I mean, it's still a very hard playing surface. Have rules about that changed in recent years? 

  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

as someone who's played hockey all his life, broom ball has fascinated me since I first heard about it. I presume it would be more blind-friendly since the pace of the game is probably a lot slower than regular hockey (aka "ice hockey" outside of the North American continent :) ). One of my friends's sisters is legally blind and loves sports, so I always have her in mind when finding out about new sports...sorry, for the thought drift. But I do like that your brother is wearing shorts on the ice. Real Great White North material, let me tell you what ;). No, seriously, I appreciate your insight. I love sports and so would love to try this one, too. Are there special shoes that players wear or just regular shoes? I can't quite tell from the picture. Still surprised players don't seem to be wearing much safety equipment...I mean, it's still a very hard playing surface. Have rules about that changed in recent years? 

I don't remember any rules about that. Most people just wore tennis shoes. The Duggars were the only ones I can recall who would wear any safety equipment.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I don't remember any rules about that. Most people just wore tennis shoes. The Duggars were the only ones I can recall who would wear any safety equipment.

Ohh, I just realized your brother is wearing a toque. I thought it was a helmet LOL. That's pretty interesting. I just did a research project for my degree on safety equipment in sports last semester, so my brain is still focused on it. 

ETA: if you wear regular shoes though, that will significantly slow down the pace of the game, hence making the game safer, too. The potential of injuries on a slippery surface would still be there though, of course. (my brain needs to shut up)

Edited by MakeItSo
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

What do you mean? Curious...

I mean that they clearly work very hard to portray their perfect life on instagram, etc, and babies and children tend not to cooperate with that. They seem like the types who would see their child as an axtension of themselves, and therefore child would need to be “perfect” also. I hope that they would not feed the need to resort to very controlling Pearl/Ezzo-esque parenting methods in order to get their kid to fall in line... 

 

broomball - what I don’t understand is what playing this game on ice adds? It’s a ball not a puck, and wearing shoes not skates... why isn’t it just played on any hard surface? 

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@MakeItSo my first thought on that pic was that it looked like a hockey rink but that's what happens when you spend 4 days a week sitting in one. My youngest plays left wing. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, bal maiden said:

broomball - what I don’t understand is what playing this game on ice adds? It’s a ball not a puck, and wearing shoes not skates... why isn’t it just played on any hard surface? 

I think the ice came before the broom. It probably developed in cold climates where kids had seasonal ice to play on and just wanted a pick-up style game that anyone could play without needing a ton of gear. 

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah nearly everyone has a broom or can get one cheap. The Duggars also could, in theory, get the rails to create  their own pond rink with as much land as tthey own.  Hockey gear is crazy expensive even with resale stores and ice time/ref fees are even worse. My son plays U10 (squirt) and his fees for this season (7 months long) were $1350. My son played soccer when we lived in Florida and Arkansas but once we moved to the Midwest and found a hockey rink he could try it out at, he was hooked. 

  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

Jim Bob was really competitive and I remember hearing other parents complain about that because he wouldn't let off even when he was playing against kids, and most people there were just there to socialize and have fun on the ice, not be seriously competitive.

That super doesn’t surprise me. He strikes me as the type that has the need to constantly prove his manliness and fill is own ego, to the point of plowing through a group of small children, knocking them over like bowling pins, and then running a victory lap around the rink after scoring a goal on a 4 year-old goalie.

1 hour ago, MakeItSo said:

Ohh, I just realized your brother is wearing a toque. I thought it was a helmet LOL. That's pretty interesting. I just did a research project for my degree on safety equipment in sports last semester, so my brain is still focused on it. 

ETA: if you wear regular shoes though, that will significantly slow down the pace of the game, hence making the game safer, too. The potential of injuries on a slippery surface would still be there though, of course. (my brain needs to shut up)

Oooh, that project sounds super interesting. What’s your degree in? I might need to have a further discussion with you about safety equipment. 

  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see if Jinger feels obligated to role model extra fundie habits for her kids (back to long skirts) or raises them with more relaxed modesty standards. My guess is the second. 

JB definitely seems ego driven in all areas...even broomball :2wankers:

  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Coconut Flan (and all the Admins and Helpmeets):

Would it be possible to start a separate thread for Duggar baby name suggestions and birth pools for those who enjoy them?  

It would probably be far easier for @Carm_88 to tabulate them all.  It would also help to declutter these threads for those who don't enjoy those particular lengthy discussions (see @Edhelfin and @SilverBeach's posts and my cramped fingers from scrolling.)

@Carm_88 For the record - I'm still going for Moody Tozer Seewald - boy or girl.  And for Jinger's new blessing:  Mucilex for a boy and Nyquil for a girl.  Yes, I have a cold.  Why did you ask? ;)

 

  • Upvote 21
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@HarryPotterFan fellow Harry Potter fan, further discussion can be arranged :) I actually completely changed gears from what I was doing for my undergrad (which was film studies) and am now in a criminology program. I initially wanted to focus on injuries in relation to fighting/checking, but then ended up doing it on equipment and injuries instead. It was interesting to delve into mechanisms of injury, equipment, league rules (checking or non-checking), etc and how it all connects. We were allowed to stray away from traditional criminology last semester for our projects. They wanted us to just get used to researching and setting up a project but since criminology is part of sociology, it really wasn't that far-fetched. If you get the chance to watch the documentary Ice Guardians (2016), a lot of what I have come with up was covered on it, as well. To my surprise, a criminologist actually was interviewed for this documentary, which made me really happy to see. It focused on fighting and the role of the enforcer in hockey. Sorry for the gushing. Any time I can combine one of my passions with school or work I get really excited haha

  • Upvote 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bal maiden said:

I mean that they clearly work very hard to portray their perfect life on instagram, etc, and babies and children tend not to cooperate with that. They seem like the types who would see their child as an extension of themselves, and therefore child would need to be “perfect” also. I hope that they would not feed the need to resort to very controlling Pearl/Ezzo-esque parenting methods in order to get their kid to fall in line... 

 

Never believe what you see, hear or read on social media.

Honestly, the amount of couples I know that fight all the time are always posting "#couplegoals #myhusbandrocks#" etc...

Especially my neighbour who swears black and blue in person her husband is cheating on her, but is always posting in love, kissing pics on Instagram.

  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Shadoewolf hockey is very expensive. So is snowboarding. I know for a fact that my parents (and later aunt and uncle, who were my guardians at the time), sacrificed quite a bit to keep my siblings and me in the sports we loved, including taking advantage of community programs and we did a couple of pieces of gently used gear and hand me downs, of course. They all really appreciated the value of learning to be part of a team and what that can teach a kid. I am beyond grateful. Once I was old enough, I was expected and gladly did earn money over the summer to buy new equipment. And there are programs in the community, as well as national programs that can help pay for sporting equipment. Sportchek's Jumpstart is one of them. (for those in Canada, not sure about the U.S.)

Edited by MakeItSo
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

@Coconut Flan (and all the Admins and Helpmeets):

Would it be possible to start a separate thread for Duggar baby name suggestions and birth pools for those who enjoy them?  

Please those who want to track such things, feel free.

  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

Never believe what you see, hear or read on social media.

Honestly, the amount of couples I know that fight all the time are always posting "#couplegoals #myhusbandrocks#" etc...

Especially my neighbour who swears black and blue in person her husband is cheating on her, but is always posting in love, kissing pics on Instagram.

I’ve found that the more couples post on social media, the less happy they are.  Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but more often than is coincidence this is true. 

  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I take issue with the idea that guessing baby names and due dates is some kind of endorsement or "help" we're offering Jinger and Jeremy that makes us akin to leghumpers. What the hell... really??? Especially when most of the names are snark names??? Okay. :roll:

I mean, that's the main reason my gay ass goes to these threads as soon as there's a pregnancy announcement -- not because I'm excited (my immediate reaction to Jinger's announcement was "NOOOOOOOO!!!!") , but because I find it fascinating, like a sort of palette cleanser from the usual garbage I reflect on about these families. It's always interesting to me to then compare the actual names they decide on vs our guesses. That's something I do with most of the pregnancies I'm aware of - it's not a statement of support. 

It's one thing if this isn't something you enjoy/are annoyed by, entirely another to accuse people who ARE into this of somehow being complicit "Duggar fans" because of it. That's a really polarizing, borderline sexist, narrow-minded conclusion to draw from something as innocuous as guessing names for a baby. Get it together.

  • Upvote 26
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is Broomball regional? I lived up northeast my entire life and it was briefly hearing about it via the duggars and then when I transferred to a school in the south that many fraternities would do that as one of their events for recruitment. 

Also I just assumed the guessing games were just a fun thing in the sense to hold us over until there was word of the birth. Never as supporters, just a fun, snarking event. 

  • Upvote 13
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love baby name talks, especially with fundies, you never know what weird and wonderful names they will come up with. I bought a book on the British Royal family to go into my history book collection and my nephew and I looked through the names of past Princes and Princesses and laughed came up with possible names for Wills and Kate. I don't see many of the medieval names coming back apart from possibly Matilda.

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MakeItSo said:

@HarryPotterFan fellow Harry Potter fan, further discussion can be arranged :) I actually completely changed gears from what I was doing for my undergrad (which was film studies) and am now in a criminology program. I initially wanted to focus on injuries in relation to fighting/checking, but then ended up doing it on equipment and injuries instead. It was interesting to delve into mechanisms of injury, equipment, league rules (checking or non-checking), etc and how it all connects. We were allowed to stray away from traditional criminology last semester for our projects. They wanted us to just get used to researching and setting up a project but since criminology is part of sociology, it really wasn't that far-fetched. If you get the chance to watch the documentary Ice Guardians (2016), a lot of what I have come with up was covered on it, as well. To my surprise, a criminologist actually was interviewed for this documentary, which made me really happy to see. It focused on fighting and the role of the enforcer in hockey. Sorry for the gushing. Any time I can combine one of my passions with school or work I get really excited haha

Oooh! If my college had a film studies minor, I totally would have qualified for it. I took a bunch of film studies classes, and then the year after I graduated they made a film studies major and added even more classes. Poop heads.

11 minutes ago, nst said:

Who is calling us humpers.  I am not a humper of Jeremy and Jinger 

Well a disturbing question just popped into my mind. If you had to hump any fundie, who would it be? And I’m not talking about being a fan.

  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Coconut Flan locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.