IGNORED

Jinjer 35: The Baby Wait

Coconut Flan

In real world, being nice does not solve many problems when you are facing assholes. 

Duggars do not have a 'live and let live' attitude, why should their opponents?

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, MarcyMM said:

But what if Ben, Jeremy or even Derick grew up watching tv? Do you think they'd give it up completely just because they married a Duggar?

Ben and Jessa watch their shows on a computer. Fixer Upper, Football -
Spurgeon watched Charlie Brown special on thanksgiving and Ben's family is big on movies...so I think even though they don't TV he has influence on that his kids will watch more than the duggarlings.

11 minutes ago, SCROW10 said:

Ben and Jessa watch their shows on a computer. Fixer Upper, Football -
Spurgeon watched Charlie Brown special on thanksgiving and Ben's family is big on movies...so I think even though they don't TV he has influence on that his kids will watch more than the duggarlings.

They will watch The same types of programming presumably. I highly doubt the Seewads will be watch much or any PBS or much less Nick kids. 

Basically, there isn't one way to go about it. Some people find it more useful to engage, be polite and try to convince others to change their hateful beliefs/behaviour. Others prefer calling out and confrontation. There isn't one right way to do it because honestly, you can't guarantee that your method will actually change anything (different people respond to different things). 

I myself do a mixture of both. Sometimes I confront, sometimes I try to educate and sometimes I even troll a little. Depends on the topic, situation and my mental state. 

Because we all come from different backgrounds, we have varying opinions, ways of coping and responses. 

I think what I'm trying to say is that the varying responses, approaches, opinions and feelings that FJers have to fundies are all valid (unless they are harmful or demonstrably inaccurate). 

*sorry if this is preachy...carry on*

@geergirl a significant part of my research project focused on concussions. Another thing is that as equipment becomes lighter and more protective, players play harder. Way back in the day guys would just show up for the games, play, and go home. Nowadays, you have players spend a significant amount of time in the gym, not just during the season, but also in the off-season. You have guys taking boxing classes, etc. It's really interesting. I do get sad when I hear people say, "I don't like hockey. It's too violent." Seems like they either haven't seen a game since the 70's, when bench-clearing brawls were still a thing, or they only see what mainstream sports news reports show: a couple of clips of brutal (and illegal) cross-checks. 

3 hours ago, Edhelfin said:

In real world, being nice does not solve many problems when you are facing assholes. 

Where I come from, it’s called ‘not stooping to their level’, or ‘not lowering yourself’.

YMMV. 

3 hours ago, Edhelfin said:

Actually, not true. I find that being calm, cool, collected and often nice does help when you're facing assholes. Being abrasive doesn't get you anywhere. Simply put, I may not like someone's beliefs but I can find positive in them as a person. The Duggars lose out by being close minded, I don't want to mimic them. 

I think I remember Jill and Derick had a TV, I think there was a big discussion when Jill posted about having a movie night (this was when we had hope for Derick.) Not the same family but I'm also pretty sure Zach and Whitney Bates had a TV in the home. 

IIRC The Bates's don't have a TV (something about watching the show at a hotel) and the Duggars did but it was kept in a closet and only brought out periodically. 

I don't respond online, for the sole reason that I don't follow them. I don't want to give them the extra followers, and replying on twitter just isn't my style. It was and it was just not worth the drain. I'm more of the style of @Carm_88 I've found most assholes when confronted with abrasiveness (not accusing anyone here of being abrasive!) just get defensive and become more abrasive. And in my personal experience when trying to talk to anyone about their religious beliefs when you go in guns blazing they just shut down and get defensive, because they have been told day in and day out that **the world is out to get them** I don't need to make them think they are right. 

@MakeItSo @geergirl I'm sort of enjoying this side convo, I just wrote a Sr Thesis on Hockey and hypermasculinity and it's impact on sexual aggression (I'm a lot of fun at parties :p) But I enjoy hockey in academia 

22 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Ben and Jeremy.... preferably at the same time. :pb_lol: 

Side note: as long as Ben takes some allergy meds first, i can't stand his voice all nasaly.... on second thought I'd rather neither of them speak.

Hahaha what have I started?

Though I feel like if any fundie spoke in these encounters it would ruin things. Unless they shouted out, “I RESPECT A WOMAN’S RIGHT TO CHOOSE!!” in a moment of ecstasy.

13 hours ago, Timetraveler said:

For a moment I thought you were talking about B&J icecream :pb_lol:

Now THAT sounds like an amazing tthreesome.

8 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Alright y'all I'm probably going to get down voted to all hell for this but, oh well. Can we go back to having fun please? I think that's why most of us come here, it's okay to disagree with each other without attacking each other's morals. We are an fj fam and part of what great about it is that we come from different back grounds and bring different points of view. But with that said I think we should all try to be a little kinder to each other. 

Alright I'll leave it at that, agree with me or not no hard feelings :my_angel:

This was the first thing that popped into my head:

i-wish-we-could-all-get-along-like-we-us

Except in real life NOBODY GETS ALONG IN MIDDLE SCHOOL.

8 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I've always assumed broomball is to curling as netball is to basketball, rounders is to softball, and softball is to baseball.  Just different versions and rules growing out of an older sport.

I just get mad that a sport with the word “broom” in it has nothing to do with quidditch.

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

@HarryPotterFan James Arndt is totally bangable. So are Paul, Luke, John, Jude, Mark...errr...all of the older ones! :P I mean I'd probably be doing in on a bunk bed with penguin sheets while Cathy Arndt banged on the door but hey! :P 

*I'm totally joking about the second part. The first part is true! They're totally bangable! 

Oh damn, I don’t follow the Arnts. I need to see what these guys look like!

1 hour ago, MakeItSo said:

@geergirl a significant part of my research project focused on concussions. Another thing is that as equipment becomes lighter and more protective, players play harder. Way back in the day guys would just show up for the games, play, and go home. Nowadays, you have players spend a significant amount of time in the gym, not just during the season, but also in the off-season. You have guys taking boxing classes, etc. It's really interesting. I do get sad when I hear people say, "I don't like hockey. It's too violent." Seems like they either haven't seen a game since the 70's, when bench-clearing brawls were still a thing, or they only see what mainstream sports news reports show: a couple of clips of brutal (and illegal) cross-checks. 

I don’t know anything about hockey, but I’m super interested in sports injuries - especially concussions and CTE. I’ll have to PM you.

1 hour ago, LacyMay said:

I'm sort of enjoying this side convo, I just wrote a Sr Thesis on Hockey and hypermasculinity and it's impact on sexual aggression (I'm a lot of fun at parties :p) But I enjoy hockey in academia 

Ooooh. 

@LacyMay @geergirl Seems like I've found my people. :) Can we found a club on here? haha 

ETA: Also, I'm sorry, folks but when I read "Ben and Jeremy", my brain reads "Ben & Jerry's" and it completely throws me off and distracts me. Every. Single. Time. 

10 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

@LacyMay @geergirl Seems like I've found my people. :) Can we found a club on here? haha 

Um me! Me! Me! Pick me! I love hockey lol! 

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Where have all you been all my time on here? *knuckle bumps all around*

1 minute ago, MakeItSo said:

Where have all you been all my time on here? *knuckle bumps all around*

Quietly watching hockey! :P 

6 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Me too! Huge Preds fan here. 

Btw PK Subban is one of the nicest guys out there.

4 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

Me too! Huge Preds fan here. 

Btw PK Subban is one of the nicest guys out there.

obviously a Canucks fan here (for those who don't follow hockey, my avatar is the old Vancouver Canucks skate logo :pb_smile: ). Been a Canucklehead since I was young (around the time when the Sedins were drafted) but I have a lot of respect for many players in the league, past and present. Love my team with all my heart, but have always enjoyed watching the talent on other teams, as well. Even when we get scored against, if it was a beauty goal, it was a beauty goal. I'll be the first to admit it...and then happily return to yelling at my boys and cheering them on haha

Haven't met PK, but I've met a bunch of the guys on the Canucks and they all seem like real straight shooters, just real nice guys who do a lot of charity work, as well (as do many players in the league). It's always good to see athletes be good people on and off the ice/court/field/track/snow/etc.

I've been right here!!  Thoroughly enjoyed watching the Bolts trounce the Wings last night. But shhh don't let Youngest know, he's the biggest Dylan Larkin fan ever.  I miss Panarin with Kane.

My husband (before we lost our insurance) was set to participate in a study on how multiple concussions from playing football as a teenager are connected to his depression and Bi-Polar II symptoms as both CTE and TBI can have similar markers. We're very careful with Youngest, he falls wrong I'm right at the bench and we lost one kid on the team for 2 weeks this season because USA Hockey has really cracked down on concussion protocol.  Which with the research about CTE is very reasonable.  Tell you what though, the new Bauer hockey helmets? Ohh do they feel nice! I tried one on last week. Such a better fit than the one I have.

@Shadoewolf Thanks for mentioning that!! I have to get a new bucket and I've been wearing CCM helmets since I can remember (for no reason other than it's the brand I picked up way back and the thing fit lol ). I'll definitely plop a couple of them on my noggin next Friday and see how I like them.

ETA: I published too soon. I meant to say, sorry about your husband. CTE's are terrifying and I commend him for readily volunteering for such studies. Much needed! Glad, hockey seems to finally getting some attention after everyone was heavily focused on the NFL for so long (which is important, too, of course). 

My son could never be a brand ambassador! We use CCM for skates because they come in wider fit, Bauer for the rest of his body gear and Warrior or Reebok for sticks. Our rink holds a free equipment swap every year but helmets are the one thing they won't do.  One thing I'm glad to see is the shift from checking so early on to the focus on skating and stickhandling. They won't "officially" start checking here until U14. Which of course has not stopped my son from trying to take out his dad in the parents v. kids game!

32 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

obviously a Canucks fan here (for those who don't follow hockey, my avatar is the old Vancouver Canucks skate logo :pb_smile: ). Been a Canucklehead since I was young (around the time when the Sedins were drafted) but I have a lot of respect for many players in the league, past and present. Love my team with all my heart, but have always enjoyed watching the talent on other teams, as well. Even when we get scored against, if it was a beauty goal, it was a beauty goal. I'll be the first to admit it...and then happily return to yelling at my boys and cheering them on haha

Haven't met PK, but I've met a bunch of the guys on the Canucks and they all seem like real straight shooters, just real nice guys who do a lot of charity work, as well (as do many players in the league). It's always good to see athletes be good people on and off the ice/court/field/track/snow/etc.

That's how the guys are here. Most of them are huge goofballs too.

On 1/7/2018 at 5:55 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

Well a disturbing question just popped into my mind. If you had to hump any fundie, who would it be? And I’m not talking about being a fan.

If I had duct tape I would say Lawson Bates. If I didn’t have duct tape Zach Bates. 

5 hours ago, Edhelfin said:

Two reasons: 1 we are better than them and 2 you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. 

Just now, singsingsing said:

Habs fan here. Still sulking whenever I hear 'Subban'. Grrrr! :pb_lol:

Sorry we're keeping him lol 

I'm the same way with James Neal... STUPID EXPANSION DRAFT 

@Shadoewolf I have a good mix of brand names, too. I've always just kind of gone with whatever fits/feels best.

Checking vs non-checking is interesting. I looked into this for my research project. Studies have shown that women who previously played on mixed teams and played in a checking league for one or two years, tend to have less injuries later on, as they have learned how to properly take a hit and fall safely. As accidental hits happen in non-checking women's and all girl leagues, most concussions are from player contact with the ice, not from contact with another player. So, that's the side proponents of checking will most likely take. I just found it interesting. 

I don't play per se, because of post concussion trauma. I went from figure skates to hockey skates, wasn't used to the new edges and tried to turn around to say something to my daughter,  fell and cracked my head open. Doc said next time I might not wake up (2nd really bad concussion in less than 2 years, 6 total over my 38 years) and the recovery was long and rough so any skating, sledding, street hockey are helmets no question. 

I'd be for checking if I could play, and we show our son lots of videos of how NOT to hit someone. And we've worked with him on stable ground how to check without hurting anyone for when he gets to peewees.  But I admit, I was at a game recently where a few fights broke out and it was pretty cool for me, but my son hid his face. 

Preds aren't so bad as a team, not dirty by nature or anything and they've certainly come out as strong contenders recently! I think a lot of team's problem is these GM's lock older players into some exceedingly long contracts that they may not feasibly earn. I see SO many great kids on the farm teams who could light it up if money weren't all tied up in aging players who are great leaders but can't perform like they did in 2008.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived