IGNORED

Jinjer 35: The Baby Wait

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

Or single siblings...

I thought about single siblings but remembered the Duggars are in Australia and New Zealand. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jerkit said:

I was born in 88. I sort of remember Oklahoma City. I vividly remember Diana’s death because my mom idolized her and was very upset about it. 

I was in fourth grade, and I would go home for lunch (yay! introvert! I needed a break!) and I remember that I saw the Oklahoma City bombing coverage on TV and told my teachers and classmates about it.

My earliest recollection of a news event was the '88 U.S. presidential election, because my father was on the news talking about Bush's media presence and it blew my little mind, which was still figuring out the whole fantasy/reality/is TV real life thing. I could not comprehend that someone I knew from real life was on the television.

9/11 happened two weeks after I moved to the east coast from the midwest to attend college. I was a wreck, 18 years old, and away from home for the first time. I'll never forget trying to call my mother and having the phone lines go dead. (I was in Maryland and I've heard conflicting reasons--either too many people were using the phone or they shut them down for military use). I developed some sort of mysterious stomach issue that ultimately led to me transferring, but as an older adult I realize it was likely an stress reaction to the insanity of that year and all the changes that happened.

18 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Not as much as Jessa having a girl would. 

In general the messy bitch side of me wants to see one of two things: the Duggar sisters get fed up with the bullshit and band together to leave the cult as one, or they basically become Real Housewives. 

The Real House Wives of Tontitown. 

12 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I developed some sort of mysterious stomach issue that ultimately led to me transferring, but as an older adult I realize it was likely an stress reaction to the insanity of that year and all the changes that happened.

Same thing happened to me. Not sure if 9/11 had anything to do with it, but I had mysterious debilitating and chronic stomach aches all through high school, and pretty much as soon as I was done with high school they mysteriously disappeared.

Huh. I honestly had no idea that I was considered a millennial! I was born in 89. Vividly remember 9/11, spent my childhood barefoot outside. I remember first getting dial up Internet, "You've got mail!" MSN messenger and MySpace in high school. I remember getting a cell phone at 15 (those old Nokia brick phones) and I was already out of high school when I heard of Facebook. When I hear of millennial I always thought people were talking about teenagers and early 20s!

but I will say it always grinds my gears and I always stick up for the younger generations when I hear older people criticizing and blaming them for everything. I say usually, "Oh... The millennialist are horrible? And do you think you left them great things? Lots of problems and debt they've inherited. Hmm."

or my other favorite reply, "do you have kids?" If yes, then you took part in raising their parents or them. Think about that." Hahaha I just don't understand how you can blame those younger than you. That's just my two cents.

2 hours ago, shock928 said:

Huh. I honestly had no idea that I was considered a millennial! I was born in 89. Vividly remember 9/11, spent my childhood barefoot outside. I remember first getting dial up Internet, "You've got mail!" MSN messenger and MySpace in high school. I remember getting a cell phone at 15 (those old Nokia brick phones) and I was already out of high school when I heard of Facebook. When I hear of millennial I always thought people were talking about teenagers and early 20s!

but I will say it always grinds my gears and I always stick up for the younger generations when I hear older people criticizing and blaming them for everything. I say usually, "Oh... The millennialist are horrible? And do you think you left them great things? Lots of problems and debt they've inherited. Hmm."

or my other favorite reply, "do you have kids?" If yes, then you took part in raising their parents or them. Think about that." Hahaha I just don't understand how you can blame those younger than you. That's just my two cents.

Every generation whines and complains about the generations behind them. They same thing "the greatest" generation Baby Boomers said about Gen Xers Baby boomers and now some Gen Xers are saying about Millennial now.  

15 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

I think your perspective is correct for the first couple years of a fundie kid's life - being Daddy's (and God's!!!) Little Princess, being doted on and dressed in cute and silly outfits for your mom's Instagram every day, is probably fun. I suspect that little boys probably aren't fussed over as much. However, once you hit age 12-13, little fundie girls are suddenly expected to take on more chores (like meal prep and childcare) in order to cultivate a godly character and prepare for being a ~blessed mama~ someday. Instead of dressup, you have to be sure to dress modestly (and have long shiny hair and a slim attractive figure or else!!) Meanwhile the "young men" are suddenly treated like princes and being assured that they're going to change the world with their future political career/ministry/used car lot

So like, it's probably fun to be a fundie girl for 10 years or so and then it sucks

Yeah it sucks. And while I believe that girls and woman have definitely the loser card in this game both sexes are screwed when they are brought up in the cult from the beginning. 

I look at all those sweet children and really have some heartache.

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Same thing happened to me. Not sure if 9/11 had anything to do with it, but I had mysterious debilitating and chronic stomach aches all through high school, and pretty much as soon as I was done with high school they mysteriously disappeared.

Similarly, I'm pretty sure that my mom never had any more migraine headaches after she retired from teaching kindergarten. (She loved it, but it could be high stress.)

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Every generation whines and complains about the generations behind them. They same thing "the greatest" generation Baby Boomers said about Gen Xers Baby boomers and now some Gen Xers are saying about Millennial now.  

And in between the Greatest Generation and the Baby Boomers are the Silent Generation, who mostly get overlooked and forgotten. But they are hard workers who grew up during the Depression and World War II, so they don't make a fuss. (At least, the folks I know fit that description.)

I was born in 89. I vividly remember 9/11. I also remember the whole Bill Clinton-Monica lewinski scandal, because we were watching the weekly "school news" program* which showed Clinton's denial followed by his apology, and one boy didn't really understand the whole apology, so then our teacher elaborately explained what had happened, thereby also explaining why Bill Clinton was such an important person (I'm Dutch, and for us kids at that age, United States politics were still very foreign to us, and since Clinton was not an actor, we didn’t really understand what made him so important that he had to publicly apologize for what seemed to us a private issue), but also stating that she believed Hillary was a very strong and powerful woman, and that she wouldn’t be surprised if Hillary would become president one day. But not just yet because America wasn’t ready for a female president yet. And then we had a whole discussion about gender equality.

*It has nothing to do with news about school, it was a news programme designed for schools. It aired once a week, on Friday mornings during school time, and it showed and discussed major news events that had happened during the past week but tailored to 10-12 year olds. I think it also came with discussion questions that were meant to help teachers guide a sensible discussion about the displayed events among the pupils, but it is also possible that my teacher came up with those questions herself.

I’m from Northern Ireland so some of the huge news stories of my childhood and teens are probably different from those of you in North America etc but I was raised in a family where we were sat in front of the news and told it was history in the making. I  was born in 1980 and during my child hood I remember watching Tianamen square, the release of Nelson Mandela, live aid, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the first gulf war among others. I was at school when the Dunblane massacre happened and a teacher told us about it in tears. We grew up in the midst of the troubles, that teacher had taught in the school while gun battles between the army and paramilitaries had happened outside the doors but the idea that anyone would intentionally turn a gun on a child was beyond all of our comprehension. 

I still watch the news constantly and sit my own kids, nieces and nephews in front of “history in the making”. I think being fully aware of how and where we went wrong in the past is our best chance of not repeating the same mistakes in the future.

I was in fourth grade on 9/11. Most of the teachers talked to the kids about what was going on or if they were old enough turned on the news. My teacher responded much differently though and as an adult I realize how wise it was.  She spent the whole day with us doing our favorite things reading out favorite stories and in general just babying us. She sent us all home with a note fir our parents explaining how she wanted us all to enjoy being kids that day since the country's lives were all about to change in one way or another and she planned on answering any questions we had and reassuring us the following day. I always thought it was an interesting approach but I can appreciate it because she was right (especially because we lived in a heavily military area and near what was considered one of the top terrorist targets) our lives were shifted and there was a nervous energy for a long time. It took away part of our childhood and she gave us one last day of innocence.

I was born in 92 and I feel like there are things that I should remember but the first national event I remember is 9/11. I was in 4th grade and my neighbor picked up the neighborhood kids from my school and brought us all home. We didn't get anything from our teachers because they thought we were too young. 

When I was student teaching a few years ago, one of the teachers I worked with semi-regularly told my co-op and I about when she worked in the pentagon on 9/11. She was on the side of the building furthest from the crash but she couldn't get in contact with her family for hours after the crash. 

The first personal event I remember is just a snapshot of when my sister was born in 95. I was in my grandparents' kitchen and my grandma told me I had a new baby sister. 

I went to college in Long Island, NY. I have several friends who were student teaching post 9/11. A friend of mine was in a class where a student lost his father. She was told by the students, not to talk about it because they didn't want to upset their classmate. 

Might be a stupid question, but were people able to watch the 9/11 happenings at school? Was everyone sent home from school? I was homeschooled as were most of my friends growing up. I also lived in the midwest far away from NYC. My friends who did go to school didn't watch the towers go down or go home early, or so I've learned since through conversations.

I remember it vividly like most people though. I was nine years old. My Dad would get up early and be at work around 6 or 7am most mornings, so me and my older brother would get up and sit in bed with my Mom and watch the news with her before we got dressed and started our day. I woke up just after the first tower hit and my Mom and brothers were all in my parents room in bed watching it. I remembering being shocked, because I knew what the Twin Towers/World Trade Center was because the spring before I had read this book all about the different world land marks for school. I remember asking my Mom if it was some kind of accident and she said she didn't know and we watched it all on TV. 

My head hurts thinking about it now, what a terrible day.

17 minutes ago, BlondeIdol said:

Might be a stupid question, but were people able to watch the 9/11 happenings at school? Was everyone sent home from school? I was homeschooled as were most of my friends growing up. I also lived in the midwest far away from NYC. My friends who did go to school didn't watch the towers go down or go home early, or so I've learned since through conversations.

Yes, I watched it as a senior in my high school just north of Philadelphia (so we had a few classmates with parents who worked in NYC).  I was in AP Biology class when it happened, working on an experiment with yeast.  One of the other science teachers saw the news and told my teacher, who then told us all that there had been a plane crash (he had his pilot's license, so he thought he could offer some commentary).  The TV was then wheeled into the room, and we watched the towers fall live.  There was an announcement over the PA system, but we weren't sent home.  I'm pretty sure we continued watching the news in the rest of my classes that day.  Definitely not a day I will ever forget.

@BlondeIdol, I watched a lot of it play out in school on live TV.  I was born in 1987, and I was barely a month into my freshman year of high school.  The attacks began when I was finishing my first period tennis class, and at my school, the morning announcements were broadcast over the school’s TV system at the beginning of second period.  I go to my second period Biology class, and my first thought at seeing  the images from NBC on our classroom TV was “OMG, the World Trade Center’s on fire.”  Obviously, our morning announcements would not come on that morning, and we all just sat there that entire period (my school used a 4x4 block schedule at the time that would change every quarter, so that second period class lasted about 90 minutes), just numbed and shocked, wondering what the hell was going on.  The rest of that day felt surreal.

To this day, my memories of 9/11 are so vivid in my mind that I cannot watch the footage of the actual attacks.  It’s become engrained in my memory, and I can see them before me when I summon them from the recesses of my mind.  Why relive them over and over again every time it comes up on a TV or computer screen?

31 minutes ago, BlondeIdol said:

My class didn't watch it happening, but my sister's class listened to it live on the radio. They had a staff meeting and considered closing school for the day, but decided against it. We're not Americans, but right on the border, and there was some significant concern that the border might be attacked. I went home for lunch and watched it on TV. Everyone came back to school after lunch, and I was glad, I think we all just wanted to be together. My mother was a 911 dispatcher at the time and she was working day shift that day. I called her (or she called us) at lunch to talk and make sure we were okay, and she told me they were closing the border, and for some reason that's when it really hit me and I started crying. That and seeing the CNN website - it was getting so much traffic that they had just turned it into a single page (I remember thinking at the time, 'like a kid's web page') with this HUGE headline: AMERICA UNDER ATTACK.

I was in 8th grade and I’m from the tri-state area (southern CT.) Our town is about an hour outside Manhattan and the School District banned the teachers from telling us what was happening for that reason. They didn’t want mass panic as many parents worked in the city. We could all tell something was wrong because the teachers were quieter than usual and a lot of them looked extremely upset. My LA teacher told us she had an allergic reaction because we were worried how red and blotchy her face was - she told us the next day that her boyfriend was ok, but she was worried about him because he worked a few blocks from Ground Zero. 

My brother was home sick that day and called my mom at work very confused because there were planes flying into buildings on the tv. She told him to shut off the tv and she (and pretty much every parent who could) picked me up from school that afternoon. She forbid us from watching the news that day, but I did anyways. Those images still haunt me. My dad got a call from a Military recruiter shortly afterwards. He was pleased about that because he served in the Marines and glory days, etc. He was too old to be of any use though, but I spent a few years worried that he’d have to go to war and he’d be killed in action because of that call.

My husband was a year ahead of me (High School Freshman) and his History teacher - who I had the following year - ignored the District’s ban because it was a history making day. So my husband watched live footage as it was happening. His dad was luckily not working in Manhattan at that point, but he has extended family there (who all fortunately were ok) and his dad knew people who died. 

A lot of first responders from our area volunteered to help at Ground Zero. One of my friends’ dads was a Police Officer and she was really worried about him when he was down there. I was a member of the High School marching band and we had to travel past Manhattan for a competition later that fall. We could clearly see the debris cloud rising over Ground Zero from the bus windows even a few weeks later. My husband’s Godfather was a member of the NYPD and he served as well - he’s now battling cancer and they suspect it’s linked to his time at Ground Zero. 

I can’t impress upon our younger posters how much things changed after the attacks. This was a moment of the same magnitude in American history as Pearl Harbor in many ways. We woke up that morning feeling pretty safe and carefree - we haven’t really had a morning like that ever since and I honestly doubt I’ll ever have a morning where I feel that safe again.

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

I was in fourth grade on 9/11. Most of the teachers talked to the kids about what was going on or if they were old enough turned on the news. My teacher responded much differently though and as an adult I realize how wise it was.  She spent the whole day with us doing our favorite things reading out favorite stories and in general just babying us. She sent us all home with a note fir our parents explaining how she wanted us all to enjoy being kids that day since the country's lives were all about to change in one way or another and she planned on answering any questions we had and reassuring us the following day. I always thought it was an interesting approach but I can appreciate it because she was right (especially because we lived in a heavily military area and near what was considered one of the top terrorist targets) our lives were shifted and there was a nervous energy for a long time. It took away part of our childhood and she gave us one last day of innocence.

I remember there was A LOT of criticism about how Bush continued reading to the classroom of very young kids during the attacks, but I honestly think it was one of the best decisions he made. Rushing out immediately would have sparked panic and made those kids feel pretty scared, but calmly leaving a fairly short time later the way he did helped protect those kids a little bit. 

23 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

In contrast, my Millennial kid uses a paper planner and hauls her laptop everywhere.

@SapphireSlytherin Your daughter sounds just like me! I always have my phone and use it for everything... but an electronic planner?! No way! Paper planners all the way!

13 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I can’t impress upon our younger posters how much things changed after the attacks. This was a moment of the same magnitude in American history as Pearl Harbor in many ways. We woke up that morning feeling pretty safe and carefree - we haven’t really had a morning like that ever since and I honestly doubt I’ll ever have a morning where I feel that safe again.

Absolutely.  Growing up in the mid 80's/90s (I was born in 1983), especially in the Mid-atlantic/Northeastern US where natural disasters are pretty uncommon, felt incredibly safe.  My parents exposed me to the news from a very young age, so I'd worry a bit about things like Radon in basements or the no-fly zone in Iraq, but compared to everything that has happened since, it was low-level worry.  Our country's mindset, and the world as a result, completely changed that day.  It was a loss of innocence.

The first one I remember was princess Diana 

I vividly remember 9/11, I was in 5th grade. 

Our art teacher came running in the room screaming the twin towers had been hit. They continued the school day like normal even though kids were leaving left and right. My parents came to tell me I had to stay. 

It was one of the only times I got in trouble in school, I missed 3 spelling words on my spelling test. I was also crying because my dad was supposed to fly to Boston the next day and I was scared. Then I got accused of crying crocodile tears. 

We figured out it was terrorists but thought it was Russia. We were also scared of oak ridge getting hit.

Just now, SportsgalAnnie said:

It was one of the only times I got in trouble in school, I missed 3 spelling words on my spelling test. I was also crying because my dad was supposed to fly to Boston the next day and I was scared. Then I got accused of crying crocodile tears. 

Wow, were your teachers sociopaths? That's awful!

I got in trouble for crying in school more than once. I was a sensitive kid and prone to tears, and I think the sight of a kid crying makes a lot of teachers really uncomfortable and unfortunately for some of them that means getting angry and taking it out on the kid. But accusing a kid of 'crocodile tears' during 9/11 is like next level insanity.

I was in 5th grade during 9/11. The principal announced what happened over the intercom. At the time I believe they had thought it was bombed. -Or he just worded it vaguely, So even though I was all the way in Texas my young mind panicked at the idea other places in the US would start to be bombed... (He announced the world trade centers has been hit by terrorists) I was very scared and confused all day without having all the information.

On 1/20/2018 at 12:45 PM, Jana814 said:

Over the summer I went to see a broadway musical based on stories of passengers who were stranded in Canada after 9/11. Someone that went with us was only 7 when it happened. She does have a few memories about though but not to the extend the rest of us did. 

Come From Away; it's about the passengers that were stranded in Gander, Newfoundland during 9/11. There were I think around 7000 stranded passengers there. 

I clearly remember that! I would though. I was in grade 8 during 9/11. We were off of school and I was stepping out of the house before 11 and my Mom had the news on, every channel was playing the same thing. The planes crashing into the World Trade Center. I had no idea of the magnitude of what happened that day. I was 12 and living in Newfoundland, Canada; how could what was happening in New York change my life? 

The last time this thread drift rolled around, first memories, I stated that mine was the Lucien Bouchard had flesh eating disease. Oddest first memory to have. Still makes me laugh. 

I've realized (especially after reading here) that y first news memories are skewed, I've spent a few days now trying to figure this out (how come all these posters born at the same time as me remember xyz and I don't!!!!) And I finally realized. I was on chemo from about age 3-6 and spent a lot of the time in the hospital. Thus very little news.

I (like most everyone else) remember 9/11 vividly. We lived in Western Canada so it was still early when it happened, I didn't want to go to school that day and was refusing to get out of bed. My mom came running into my room saying get up get up a plane just flew into the World Trade Center. I was confused and my first thought was that a little cesna or something must have accidentally flown into it. I watched some of it on TV and after school went to my little sisters baby sitters house and watched more there. It was a combination I think of not wanting to be alone, wanting to know what this meant  for our world and just wanting to be reassured that the actual adults (I was just about to turn 14) still had the world under control. I also remember this (irrational) wanting to know that people I cared about were safe, it didn't matter how far away we were. I agree with an earlier poster who mentioned not being able to stress enough how much 9/11 changed everything. My sister is old enough to remember it but she remembers the event not the shift that it caused. It was like the world became smaller and more dangerous and things were just more uncertain.

I think the saddest memory I have though was a few months (maybe a year) later. We had a substitute for band and she was a muslim and wore a headscarf. At the start of class she got up, introduced herself and said 

Yes I am a muslim, no that does not make me a terrorist. 

That stuck with me, how hard that must have been for her and what must have happened to make her feel like she had to say that. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived