IGNORED

Jinjer 35: The Baby Wait

Coconut Flan

I’m a very early adopter of tech. Programmed my Commodore Vic 20 myself in the early 80s, had a computer-related job in college (work/study job), got a cell phone in 1993 or 1994 (bag phone, of course), I use Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter (for customer service issues), and other social networking programs — and most frequently from my iPhone. I met my husband online dying the BBS days, we chatted for hours on ICQ, and we talked on the phone using dial-around codes for 7¢/10p per minute. 

We had SAT and ACT test prep “parties” too  lol

In contrast, my Millennial kid uses a paper planner and hauls her laptop everywhere. She does Snap me all day long though. Lol

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

It was surreal to watch, I was 14 at the time but I knew this was going to change the world forever

I was 3 when 9/11 happened, and I have a very very vague memory of it (I more vividly remember meeting my preschool teacher for the first time a couple hours before the plane hit the tower). What boggles my mind the most is when people say "I knew this was going to change the world". I'm from the tristate area, and know many people who lost a loved one that day, which obviously changed the world for them. But as someone who only knows the world the way it is now, I can't imagine feeling like something so far away could impact everyone so much. It's really sad that terroist attacks are so common now that even when they make the news, it doesn't make that big of an impact on our world. 

I remember seeing Elvis's hearse on TV but not being sure about what was happening. Parents were not fans. Jimmy Carter was the 1st president I was "aware" of and then I started understanding more when Reagan won. I was in high school when the Challenger space shuttle exploded. Oh and who can forget Madonna dry humping the stage on the MTV awards? Bill Clinton was the 1st president I was old enough to vote for. I'll let you all do the math.

10 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

What boggles my mind the most is when people say "I knew this was going to change the world". I'm from the tristate area, and know many people who lost a loved one that day, which obviously changed the world for them. But as someone who only knows the world the way it is now, I can't imagine feeling like something so far away could impact everyone so much. It's really sad that terroist attacks are so common now that even when they make the news, it doesn't make that big of an impact on our world. 

I'm in Canada, and I didn't know any of the victims or anyone personally involved (beyond friends' parents getting stuck on the other side of the border when they shut it down and so on), but it really honestly felt like a cataclysmic shift. I can't even describe the sheer horror and shock of that day. It was like the entire world as we knew it exploded and collapsed with those towers. Also, the magnitude of 9/11 was basically incomparable to any other attack on America since. It was literally like watching a disaster movie play out in real life, and we had no idea when it was going to end, how many more attacks there would be, where they would strike next, whether a war was starting, etc. The months after 9/11 were also full of really weird and scary shit, like the Anthrax attacks and the DC snipers. It was like the entire world had gone insane.

I think it's something that is really difficult to fully grasp if you didn't live through it (at an age where you could understand what was happening). I'm kind of fascinated by how kids and teenagers learn about 9/11 now, and the fact that it's not a lived experience but a historical event to so many people entering adulthood. I remember in the weeks and months after 9/11 thinking about how that would happen eventually, but it's wild that that time has come.

I was in second grade when 9/11 happened and my elderly second-grade teacher put the live news coverage on. I remember that we all got out of school really early then and me and my younger sister being really scared because none of our teachers bothered to tell us that Minnesota was really quite far away from where everything was happening. 

I was a junior in college when 9/11 happened.  I live in NJ, but went to college in PA.  So my both my home and temporary home were near crash sites.  And I agree with everyone who says you could feel the shift.  We’ve never been the same since then I think.  It also marked the first time in my adult life I was glued to the news.  I remember my parents watching baby Jessica coverage, Waco, and the OJ trial, but I was a kid or teen at the time and those events felt like they weren’t important to my life.  I was a senior in HS when Columbine happened and I tried to watch the news, but my mom turned the TV off.  I don’t know, it’s hard to explain.  I really hope you younger generations never have to experience that feeling of the world changing after such a horrific event, but I feel like we’re constantly doomed to destroy each other.

1 hour ago, KelseyAnn said:

I was in second grade when 9/11 happened and my elderly second-grade teacher put the live news coverage on. I remember that we all got out of school really early then and me and my younger sister being really scared because none of our teachers bothered to tell us that Minnesota was really quite far away from where everything was happening. 

I was in 5th grade in Northern Virginia. The teacher put the news on for us between when the World Trade Center was hit and when the pentagon was hit. We went to music class after and the pentagon was hit while we were there. She didn't put the news back on and nobody told us what else was happening because so many people's parents were there or near there (including mine, who both worked across the street). But somehow we still found out about the pentagon, I remember another kid in my class telling me and I didn't think it was true. That day certainly changed the way I viewed the world. Then we had the sniper the next year in DC. It was quite a tumultuous time to be an 10-12 year old. 

My first news event memories are Diana's death and Columbine. But 9/11 will always stick with me the way nothing else has since. 

My first newsworthy memories was when Diana and Charles ended up 

married and Pope John Paul visited Newfoundland. Extremely big news and it has always stayed with me.

I was a junior college and in the military when 9/11 hit.  It was a very sobering day that changed the tenor of my college experience.  All the teachers and my classmates knew we were going to war and it shifted focus of our studies.  Within three years almost all my classmates were in a warzone or had already done a tour, and several had paid the ultimate price.  

2 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

Umm. My teacher in Minnesota also put the coverage on ALL day long. I was in 6th grade tho. 

My earliest memory of a big event on TV wasn’t until I was 8.  It definitely shows that I’m Australian.  Cyclone Tracy wiped out the city of Darwin on Christmas Eve/morning in 1974.   I remember going to my neighbour’s house to see what my friend had got for Christmas, but the whole family was sitting watching the tv.

I was in Gr 11 during 9/11. We were in class when an announcement was made over the PA system. The teachers wheeled in TVs and we watched some coverage. An hour later they sent us home. We stood outside wondering what had happened and who could have done it, how many people had died, if it was a war, whether our city would  be attacked. I'd never heard of terrorism as a real threat or knew anything about Afghanistan so it was confusing and felt like threats were lurking everywhere ( I had always assumed I would hear about a prevalent threat). Those images of the WTO will always be seared in my mind. It's hard to fully explain and I hope my kids never have a 'where were you when....x happened' event. My parents used to talk about the JFK assassination too.

This obviously only applies to certain geographical areas, but I know I'm not the only one when there's a nice, warm day with a particular kind of beautiful, clear, cloudless blue sky, who feels a momentary pit in their stomach. I actually noticed the sky on my way to school that morning, because it was so gorgeous and blue, and thought, "Today is going to be a good day." One of those weird things that you would have forgotten completely, but it'll stay with me forever because of what happened later than morning.

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

This obviously only applies to certain geographical areas, but I know I'm not the only one when there's a nice, warm day with a particular kind of beautiful, clear, cloudless blue sky, who feels a momentary pit in their stomach. I actually noticed the sky on my way to school that morning, because it was so gorgeous and blue, and thought, "Today is going to be a good day." One of those weird things that you would have forgotten completely, but it'll stay with me forever because of what happened later than morning.

I was at work in a large city in the Midwest USA. I remember how beautifully blue the sky was that day too. It seemed impossible that it could be such a beautiful day when such horror had happened. 

I'm finding this thread drift so interesting!

I was born in '95, and have two younger sisters. It's mad how different my childhood was to my sisters who's only 5 years younger. I played with toys, read books and still remember offering mum my pocket money for 5 more minutes on the internet. She had a Nintendo DS at 5 and has no memory of dial up internet!

Our youngest sister was born in 2014, so I'm pretty much an entire generation older than her. I was shocked and a little saddened that she knew how to unlock a phone, find Youtube and play Peppa Pig videos at 2.5 years old.

My first memory of watching something on the news was 9/11. I'm in Ireland, but I think it stuck in my head as I was due to fly to London Heathrow two days later with my dad and my mum absolutely refused to let us fly - she was terrified that something like it might happen in London. We took the ferry instead, which i remember vividly.

I was born in the mid-ish 80s. Probably the first thing I remember news-wise is the first Gulf War, and being terrified that my dad would have to go fight (he wasn’t military and never had been, I have no idea why I thought that). After that, it was arguing with a friend about the election of Bill Clinton (my parents were Republicans up until sometime during Bush 2; Trump made my mother politically active!).

I was in high school for 9/11. I was in AP US History, and my teacher refused to turn on the tv. The teacher next door kept running in to give us updates. About half of my teachers followed the order from administration not to show us the news- the others were blatant about how stupid they thought that was. We had a classmate whose flight attendant aunt was supposed to be on one of the planes; I don’t remember the reason but she ended up being off that day. Said classmate had visited the viewing deck at the WTC a week or two before. I remember wondering what would happen (war? Would we in the Midwest be a target?) and then realizing that some of our classmates were likely to be joining the military shortly and would probably be off to war- it was a very sobering ‘adult’ thought. 

Thanks to to whoever started this. It’s very interesting to look back.

3 hours ago, Karma said:

Cyclone Tracy wiped out the city of Darwin on Christmas Eve/morning in 1974.

Although I don't remember this (I was only 4) the song about it is the fist song I remember

My first real memory of a major news wise  is of Azaria Chamberlain death. 

I was born in 1993. I remember Princess Diana's death. I specifically renember we caught a bus to the city not long after and it went through a tunnel and I thought that's where the car accident was. (I didn't understand the concept of countries yet I guess.).

I remember the 2000 Olympics, but not the 1996 ones. I remember September 11, the Bali Bombings and the Boxing Day Tsunami and the 7/7 attacks well, and I know these scared me. 

Being in Australia, some technology here was probably a bit behind the US. I remember using floppy disk's because CDs were to expensive, then in high school (2006) using CDs because USBs were too expensive. By the time I finished high school (2011) USBs were cheaper and CDs all but gone. I'm graduating University soon, and now even USBs are a thing of the past! 

I distinctly remember the screech of dial up, our rotary phone and when we got a fax machine. People at work were impressed when I knew how to send a fax. 

We had a customer who still used one of those old, flat credit card machines until recently. Now they were really impressed I remembered those!

Late 80s baby here, I identify most with the Oregon Trail micro generation having had older siblings. I’ve also heard the Facebook college email cutoff as a popular delineator, where if when you signed up for Facebook when it was only for college students you’re not a true millennial, I think that puts it around those born before 1990.

News wise I remember being really fascinated and disturbed by the JonBenet Ramsey case, since she was around my age. I still follow the various documentaries on it. I think my first big news memory is the end of the Cold War, my Dad was somewhere for the military, but I can recall how cold the house suddenly got like all the air had been sucked out when my Mum opened the door to an officer in uniform. If you’re unfamiliar with US military custom, bad or serious news is given in person and it’s never an unexpected visitor you want.  Grandparents came to stay, Mum was tense, but we were lucky, my Dad ended up home safe after a bit of time.

We watched both Clinton’s impeachment trial and 9/11 at school.

Earliest big news stories:

I watched Princess Anne and Mark Phillips' wedding but was puzzled why they got married so darn early in the morning (no concept of time zones). 

I watched Nadia Comaneci's performance at the Montreal Olympics and was really impressed; she was just five years older than me.

I remember when Reagan was shot. We had just arrived in Florida for holidays. My dad told someone and everyone packed up to watch the news in their hotel rooms. We Canadians ended up with the pool to ourselves. 

9/11 was a defining moment for our generations. I was on a prep at school (Toronto) walking down the hall to photocopy something when our caretaker called me into his office. The media weren't sure what had happened when the second plane hit the towers. We kept it from the kids in the morning but those who had went home for lunch brought back stories. I had one very scared little girl in my class. Her dad was a firefighter and she saw and heard about all the firefighters who perished. Her dad came and picked her up early. 

I was born in 88. I sort of remember Oklahoma City. I vividly remember Diana’s death because my mom idolized her and was very upset about it. 

That G3 Conference that Jeremy and Jinger were at sounds like it could be a fundie Meat Market. They should have brought along some single friends.

18 minutes ago, Markie said:

That G3 Conference that Jeremy and Jinger were at sounds like it could be a fundie Meat Market. They should have brought along some single friends.

Or single siblings...

I was in college when 9/11 happened.  I didn't not know anyone personally who died but I know people who knew people who died. I was 14 when the Oklahoma City bombing happened and I also vaguely remember Waco. 

I was in university in Canada when 9/11 happened and I found out about it in  the geography class I was in that morning.  A student in the class asked the professor if he could make an important announcement and then told the class the info he had at that time. Obviously people wanted to know what was happening and get new on this but the professor just went back to his lesson (which I think were memorized to precision) and ancient slides like the student had announced the weather. (I do remember it being a beautiful day also). After class I went back to my room and found my room mate hosting some other students who needed a tv to watch and watching the footage with them. It was surreal and seemed to take time to set in. The rest of the day was basically everyone on campus in class and in dorms trying to get the latest news and people who had people either in NY or flying being really worried and anxious. And then I remember there being candlelight vigils all over campus that night.  You just couldn't take in the footage that day and not feel the impact that this would have. 

Also interesting to think of the technology of it, yeah we had the internet but not everyone had computers in their dorms and I remember TV being the biggest way everyone was taking this in.  Right now everyone at a university could live stream any event themselves on a number of devices.

It's just interesting to think of the added layer of bonding? that comes from people having to gather around a TV set or a radio together with maybe strangers who all want to get the news of a big even or disaster that will have meaning to all their lives.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived