IGNORED

Jinjer 35: The Baby Wait

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, nst said:

I am Gen x girl 

my first historical memory - being afraid of Reagan in Canada 

I'm a Gen Xer as well, my 1st big memory is the assignation attempt on Reagan, I was in 5th grade.  I wanted to be Winona Rider and I wanted Christian Slater.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh, Jessa is the one I most fear having a girl. I think Jill’s difficult labors and repeated C-sections will result in a lower number of total children and Jinger- I just don’t see she and Jeremy having more than 5 children total.

I don’t think Baby girl Vuolo will be raised to believe she can be whatever she wants to be. If they allow her to attend college I envision her future career as a bible school or music teacher. She may be allowed to play soccer as a child, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she attends a private, Christian school. Do I think she’ll still be raised in Jinger’s shadow to be meek and follow with a servant’s heart? Definitely. 

However, I think the chances of becoming a true sister Mom are the lowest in the Vuolo household. Odds of becoming a sister Mom are highest in the Seewald houselhold. For many reasons, the Dillard household is still a complete wildcard in my opinion.

I'm a Gen Xer as well, my 1st big memory is the assignation attempt on Reagan, I was in 5th grade.  I wanted to be Winona Rider and I wanted Christian Slater.

I am just a bit younger than you then. But I remember Carter’s inauguration.

Talking the millennial  thing, I am for sure a millennial. Born in late 89, I remember 9/11. One thing that always shocks kids when I work with, you used to be able to go to the gate at the airport. 

I weirdly remember the OKC bombing and Clinton's impeachment. I think the 90s were unique time to grow up.  I remember getting the internet in '98/'99 and being on MSN messenger. My sister and I joke that you are millennial if you used MSN messenger to communicate with your friends.  

21 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I was a shipper of Scott Baio and Erin Moran from Happy Days - to the ninth degree and then V Donovan and Julie :D

11 minutes ago, bekkah said:

Talking the millennial  thing, I am for sure a millennial. Born in late 89, I remember 9/11. One thing that always shocks kids when I work with, you used to be able to go to the gate at the airport. 

I remember that with airports. They show the movie Home Alone around Christmas. I always felt it's weird to show the movie now because the family is running to catch the plane, and now you can't do that. 

25 minutes ago, yeahtotally said:

Tbh, Jessa is the one I most fear having a girl. I think Jill’s difficult labors and repeated C-sections will result in a lower number of total children and Jinger- I just don’t see she and Jeremy having more than 5 children total.

I don’t think Baby girl Vuolo will be raised to believe she can be whatever she wants to be. If they allow her to attend college I envision her future career as a bible school or music teacher. She may be allowed to play soccer as a child, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she attends a private, Christian school. Do I think she’ll still be raised in Jinger’s shadow to be meek and follow with a servant’s heart? Definitely. 

However, I think the chances of becoming a true sister Mom are the lowest in the Vuolo household. Odds of becoming a sister Mom are highest in the Seewald houselhold. For many reasons, the Dillard household is still a complete wildcard in my opinion.

I think that Jill will be the one who will actively train a girl to be a sister mom if she has one but I agree that this will probably be a less straining position due to her c-sections and perhaps she will not have to ever take care of more than 1-2 siblings which frankly is different to being an more or less a full parent of a big family as I fear that both Jana and Michael Bates had to be. 

Jessa will likely not have a problem having a ton of kids if she likes so I hope for 5-6 boys first so that sister moms will not easily be a way of coping with a big brood. 

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

This is the old one where he talks about how breakfast cereal is destroying the sanctity of the family hierarchy or whatever

I just finished eating Frosted Mini Wheats.  Am I supposed to suddenly feel like taking down families as a whole or something?

3 minutes ago, potato said:

I just finished eating Frosted Mini Wheats.  Am I supposed to suddenly feel like taking down families as a whole or something?

I think you should be watchful of your feelings I guess. Ha ha. 

What about oatmeal? What religious category does that fall into? 

What the hell is he talking about?

36 minutes ago, elliha said:

I think that Jill will be the one who will actively train a girl to be a sister mom if she has one but I agree that this will probably be a less straining position due to her c-sections and perhaps she will not have to ever take care of more than 1-2 siblings which frankly is different to being an more or less a full parent of a big family as I fear that both Jana and Michael Bates had to be. 

Jill also said that she'd like to use her parents' "safeguards" against CSA within the family with her own kids, so noooo girls for her please.

2 minutes ago, potato said:

The idea is that if you ask your parents to buy your favorite cereal instead of letting them pick, you're SUBVERTING THEIR AUTHORITY!!11!

Damn, people really hate breakfast cereal. A few weeks ago I heard it blamed for causing ADHD, and now it's destroying the sanctity of the nuclear family? At the same time, I've heard millennials criticized for being 'too lazy' to eat cereal. So which is it? Are we supposed to be eating it or not? And does oatmeal count? Because I hate cereal but I love oatmeal. Or does oatmeal only count if I cook it on the stove at sunrise and add it to the huge ass breakfast I make every morning for my perfect 1950s family like the mother in Pleasantville?

2 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

I guess it's time for Jeremy to review his many sermons about Raising Kids God's Way, from a guy with zero kids. :P

This is the old one where he talks about how breakfast cereal is destroying the sanctity of the family hierarchy or whatever. While also talking harshly about people who have kids "too young" (I wonder what he thinks about the influx of Duggar teen pregnancies?) and parents of trans children.

Seriously? So, Jeremy, is it better for a working Mom to make a hot breakfast (even instant oatmeal), or a mom to be a stay at home Mom (like mine was) and feed her children cold cereal? Is there a sweetened vs unsweetened gradient of evil?

Also, it sounds like one of Jeremy's issues was children wanting to choose their cereal. We'd have Rice Krispies, Kid, Cheerios, Shredded Wheat or Corn Flakes, depending on what was on sale and what Mom had a coupon for. 

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I don't remember that, I do vaguely remember Reagan winning, but my parents were/are hard core righwingers, they are Trumpers for Rufus sakes. So I'm pretty sure Carter's win was a sad day in our house.

35 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Damn, people really hate breakfast cereal. A few weeks ago I heard it blamed for causing ADHD, and now it's destroying the sanctity of the nuclear family? At the same time, I've heard millennials criticized for being 'too lazy' to eat cereal. So which is it? Are we supposed to be eating it or not? And does oatmeal count? Because I hate cereal but I love oatmeal. Or does oatmeal only count if I cook it on the stove at sunrise and add it to the huge ass breakfast I make every morning for my perfect 1950s family like the mother in Pleasantville?

I LOVE breakfast cereal. Just not for breakfast.  I'm a eat dinner leftovers for breakfast kind of gal and then cereal for dinner, which is why I have dinner left overs for the morning.  DD eats a bowl of cereal every morning, she's not a millennial since she wasn't born until the new millennium.  DH & DS aren't breakfast eaters at all so no cereal for them.

3 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

I guess it's time for Jeremy to review his many sermons about Raising Kids God's Way, from a guy with zero kids. :P

This is the old one where he talks about how breakfast cereal is destroying the sanctity of the family hierarchy or whatever. While also talking harshly about people who have kids "too young" (I wonder what he thinks about the influx of Duggar teen pregnancies?) and parents of trans children.

Lol. How ridiculous. Giving advice on raising kids even though he doesn't have any. Isn't he the youngest child too? Why would anyone buy into any of that?

No cereal, no trans people, safe to assume no gay people or children also? Like what kind of stale white bread kind of life does Jeremy expect to have? It's laughable really.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

At the same time, I've heard millennials criticized for being 'too lazy' to eat cereal. So which is it? Are we supposed to be eating it or not? And does oatmeal count? Because I hate cereal but I love oatmeal.

Definitely not boxed cereal. My best guess is an organic, whole grain, gluten free, whole oat. Maybe hot spelt. Instant oatmeal is not authentic oatmeal. I'm pretty sure millennials are expected to only eat authentic oats. 

I wonder if Jeremy acknowledges that the only reason he is speaking at this events is because his married a Duggar. He would just be a regular conservative nobody had he not married Jinger. Those are easy to find but they aren’t being hired to speak at these type of events. 

I hope they have a boy. I just don’t get how any father could want to raise his daughter to be a perfect, submissive future wife of a man who will control every aspect of her life. It’s like someone having their foot on your neck all day, every day. Jeremy deliberately chose a wife that is 90% different than his mom and sister. His mom may be conservative but she appears to be better educated and has her own career, plus she made sure her kids were educated.  I cannot see him wanting a daughter that is more like his mom and sister than his wife. The seemingly independent life of his sister, who is not a SAHD, would have been unacceptable in the Duggar house and likely in his as well. Jinger will never have the independence of Jeremy’s sister but she gets to wear pants so whatever. 

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm a Gen Xer as well, my 1st big memory is the assignation attempt on Reagan, I was in 5th grade.

6 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I'm very close in age to @allthegoodnamesrgone (only a few days apart, I believe), but I don't think I remember Carter's inauguration. (I remember his presidency a bit. He was always getting blamed for inflation.) I do remember the bicentennial celebrations, but not really an individual event. Just a whole year of lots and lots and lots of red, white, and blue everything everywhere!

I am very conflicted on wether I would wish the baby to be a boy or a girl. From my very own point of view I would rather be a meek spoiled princess than a manly boy who will have to play football and better be good in it. Second thought- only spoiled princess, meek doesn’t work well with my rather demanding personality....

But to be honest both options are bad. I think a girl at this point might have it a bit easier. Being the first granddaughter from an original Duggar daughter and I somehow feel like they would encourage boyish interests in the beginning because cute and quirky. Still think that this would shift when she reached teenage years or becomes a sister mom. A boy would have the immanent pressure to be sporty and I can see Jeremy making very harsh and snide comments if the child isn’t. I hope this wouldn’t happen as this can harm a child and its development so much. Over-compensation on the boys side could very well lead to an even stricter patriarch lifestyle in the next generation. 

But that’s just fiction at this point.

I was born in November of '82, and I think my first "newsworthy" memory is of Baby Jessica down the well, and all the TV coverage that got.

I am understanding from these posts  that cereal is ungodly now? What happened to the verse that all things are lawful and whatnot. How do they get all the wisdom to know which breakfast foods are godly? Please correct me if I'm not understanding this correctly. 

Anyone too lazy to eat breakfast cereal needs to go find a grave to lie down in, because they've obviously died and no one has told them.

Breakfast cereals were heavily marketed to working moms back in the 40s-50s as a way to still be a wholesome caring female who feeds her brood before going off to work. It's where the idea that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" came from. It isn't, that's just a cereal company looking for sales.

I was born in late '79, I associate more with TV shows and music than I do big events, with the exception of the Challenger explosion,  Baby Jessica, the crash of flight 255 and the OKC bombing. It was definitely an interesting time to grow up in. Hubby was born in '84 and his memories are vastly different from mine. My kiddos are '00, '04, and '08 so they'll have some interesting stories to tell too.

We're big cereal eaters, the whole house. We try and keep it to the less sugary varieties but I can't help it, every so often the evil Lucky Charms start screaming my name. 

13 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Seriously? So, Jeremy, is it better for a working Mom to make a hot breakfast (even instant oatmeal), or a mom to be a stay at home Mom (like mine was) and feed her children cold cereal? Is there a sweetened vs unsweetened gradient of evil?

Also, it sounds like one of Jeremy's issues was children wanting to choose their cereal. We'd have Rice Krispies, Kid, Cheerios, Shredded Wheat or Corn Flakes, depending on what was on sale and what Mom had a coupon for. 

He is in love with being in control. That is very sinister. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived