IGNORED

Mortons: A new year of Marryin', Birthin', and Writin'

SolomonFundy

2 hours ago, albireo said:

Addie has an Etsy shop (and associated second Instagram) where she sells these fish-shaped pendants.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/bivinstradingco

I saw that too (I think she's pushing promotions to everyone who follows her on IG). How the fuck does one get started selling cloisonne fish? She obviously doesn't make them herself. Her Insta is pretty slick, it seems like she's hired models and a photographer. 

I do kinda like the fish, fwiw.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I do kinda like the fish, fwiw.

They are better than I expected. Maybe a bit too big for me to wear. (I guess I'm not into big pendants.) What's stamped on the disc that's on the chain with the fish? I think it's a number, but I'm not sure. 

ETA--I had a better look. The disc with the blue fish clearly says, "PEPPER", but the disc with the green fish looks like it has a number. I guess maybe they're customizable. 

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
ETA
  • Upvote 2

This is what happens when you are 20-something years old with no education and your only actual life experience consists of taking care of your sibling's children and playing dress up. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Dear everyone ever involved in my life,

Thank you for being role models and encouraging and guiding me to do and become something so I don't have to sit home and schlep crap on Etsy. I don't have the greatest job in the world but it is one I was skilled and trained and educated for and it pays my bills - get that, I pay my own damn bills - and I am taking care of my own damn self in a way I can at least use my brain. 

I hope they're happy in their fundie wife/daughter lives, but damn, the brain rot would drive me to drink. Making babies and doing Etsy stuff - from home, with the kids, yours or your sibling's - is so far from anything my brain fathoms as meaningful.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, FrumperedCat said:

Looks like Kennedy also has an Etsy store. Only hers is flogging mugs with slogans such as "I like her butt" and "Stay safe and sleep with a marine". Great to see them looking to earn some money, but interesting business choices!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/UniqueMugsbyKM/items

"You're my favorite thing to do". "Preggers and sexy AF".  "Let that shit go" ?! Where are the dainty VF maidens? 

• Upvote 13

2 hours ago, JMO said:

"You're my favorite thing to do". "Preggers and sexy AF".  "Let that shit go" ?! Where are the dainty VF maidens? 

Wonder if she'll now make her Etsy store private so we can't snark on it? 

Talk about hypocrisy -- in spades!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dramallama said:

At least it's not pyramid scheme MLM crap (yet), I guess.

It won't take long until one of them starts plexus or young living or whatsoever. Katie needs an income to support her kids. Maybe she will be the first.

Do we have a list or something of all fundies we know that sell plexus and the rest of the crap?

• Upvote 3

There's a 100% chance that Addie's fish came from Aliexpress, and the hammered "customized" metal tag is the only part that she's actually involved in. That's fine, and I wish her well with her efforts. Kennedy too. The home businesses are a family tradition in Mortonland, and I can only hope that they work out. Anything that gives them something to do other than dust bibles and have yearly babies is a plus.

I do think that there's something under the surface of all the sudden entrepreneurship, though. It seems like nearly all of the Moultrie-bound Lady Mortons have hung a shingle in the past year. There's Addie and Kennedy's new stores, plus Katie was trying to work the art angle, and Martha mysteriously claimed (and abandoned?) an instagram handle called "the bag cutter" or something similar last year. I theorize that she had ambitions of doing something with that, but it didn't work out. Obviously, she's also keeping her irons in the "author" fire. I originally assumed that the book was just written for friends and family, but she's actually trying to market it to some degree. 

It kind of makes me wonder if there is a family fundraising effort going on for some reason, or if it's just collective boredom.

• Upvote 8

I'm confused... when I followed the link to what is supposed to be Kennedy's Etsy store, the one with the racy mugs, all the prices were in pounds.  Are we sure this is the correct Kennedy Morton? 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, VVV said:

I'm confused... when I followed the link to what is supposed to be Kennedy's Etsy store, the one with the racy mugs, all the prices were in pounds.  Are we sure this is the correct Kennedy Morton? 

It's showing USD for me.  Also, the store lists her location as Moultrie, GA.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VVV said:

Probably cos I'm from the UK so the link I posted was the UK site version hence the GDP. Deffo her store though as she liked Addie's store.

1 hour ago, FrumperedCat said:

Probably cos I'm from the UK so the link I posted was the UK site version hence the GDP. Deffo her store though as she liked Addie's store.

Ah, OK, thanks (and thanks to @dramallama also).

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JMO said:

Not to mention all the references to TV shows they'd never be allowed to watch like New Girls, Friends and *gasps* The Big Bang Theory. Where are my smelling salts?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My guess is that they all still have all the same fundie beliefs. But now they're worldly AF.

It would be interesting to know what made them become more worldlier. It is not like they are selling a brand (like the Bateses or Duggars) and they managed to found spouses for their kids before.

Maybe they were influenced by other families? The Sanders became worldlier years ago and so did the Roberts and the Campanas - at least when it comes to appearance which says nothing about their beliefs.

• Upvote 1

I think the scandals of Doug Phillips/Vision Forum and Bill Gothard likely had something to do with it. Maybe they rejected some of the skirts-only and a-woman-can-never-work rules as part of their "false teachings". I bet they all believe women should be keepers at home still. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, JustAnotherMaiden said:

I think the scandals of Doug Phillips/Vision Forum and Bill Gothard likely had something to do with it. Maybe they rejected some of the skirts-only and a-woman-can-never-work rules as part of their "false teachings". I bet they all believe women should be keepers at home still. 

I think a lot of them who grew up with prairie dresses weren't that exposed to fashion and knew other families that wore frumpers. So it seemed normal. Once they grew up and were exposed to more fashion and trends online, they must have realized how ugly frumpers are. A lot of these people are influenced by one another. If they see a friend wearing a stylish outfit that is still modest to them, then they are more likely to try it out as well. 

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think a lot of them who grew up with prairie dresses weren't that exposed to fashion and knew other families that wore frumpers. So it seemed normal. Once they grew up and were exposed to more fashion and trends online, they must have realized how ugly frumpers are. A lot of these people are influenced by one another. If they see a friend wearing a stylish outfit that is still modest to them, then they are more likely to try it out as well. 

You are totally right.

While reading in the Captain Bret Smith thread I came across the old Smith family blog again. I was clicking through it and came to a family vacation post. I was really surprised to see Katie in a normal bathing suit. Seems like they were never into that whole modest swimming attire for women and girls.

http://smithfamilia2.blogspot.de/2010/11/had-cutest-little-floaty-boat-not-to.html

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else been following the 8 Brothers IG? The worshipping of the menfolk is killing me.  That and the Confederacy worship. 

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, JMO said:

Has anyone else been following the 8 Brothers IG? The worshipping of the menfolk is killing me.  That and the Confederacy worship. 

Yes. It makes me cringe harder with every new post. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

On 2/6/2018 at 4:00 PM, fundiefan said:

Dear everyone ever involved in my life,

Thank you for being role models and encouraging and guiding me to do and become something so I don't have to sit home and schlep crap on Etsy. I don't have the greatest job in the world but it is one I was skilled and trained and educated for and it pays my bills - get that, I pay my own damn bills - and I am taking care of my own damn self in a way I can at least use my brain. 

I hope they're happy in their fundie wife/daughter lives, but damn, the brain rot would drive me to drink. Making babies and doing Etsy stuff - from home, with the kids, yours or your sibling's - is so far from anything my brain fathoms as meaningful.

I mean, I get what you’re saying, I really do. Their stores don’t sound all that much like a true art — or craft. But man, making babies and selling art on Etsy sounds like a lovely career to me. 

• Upvote 2

the tags on those posts are cracking. me. up. my favorite by far is the one on the post from February 16: #boy

close seconds: 

#thoseboys

#Survival

#ThisIsSoCute

and of course the caption from Feb 13: "Raw and pure boyhood..." :laughing-rollingyellow:

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

On 2/8/2018 at 4:59 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My guess is that they all still have all the same fundie beliefs. But now they're worldly AF.

Do you think they even know what AF means?

On 2/22/2018 at 5:53 PM, JMO said:

Link please!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic