IGNORED

Meredith Hammer Pregnant and Had Her Fifth

Hisey

I like my name but I hate seeing it in print. It gives me a similar feeling to listening to a recording of yourself speaking.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Honestly I can't snark on this. I don't know Meredith personally but we have mutual acquaintances and I think I'd like her if I knew her. I get the feeling she's always wanted a large family and they seem very happy. Her kids look sweet and decently cared for. I do wonder what her husband will end up doing.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, feministxtian said:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate that name...with a passion (because it's on my birth certificate and I have always hated it). Good grief, there are millions of better names...find one pronto. That kid will go through life with everyone and their brother calling her CaroLYN. It's a horrible name. 

I love the name Caroline! It's a family name and I only didn't use it because someone else my generation did. At one time before I had kids I thought I would do a cutesy theme with girls names ending with -line Caroline, Madeline, Evangeline. But ended up not using any of those names. Or a pattern. (my husband would never go for Evangeline because of the movie Angelheart, lol).

Edited by Anonymousguest
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

I love the name Caroline! It's a family name and I only didn't use it because someone else my generation did. At one time before I had kids I thought I would do a cutesy theme with girls names ending with -line Caroline, Madeline, Evangeline. But ended up not using any of those names. Or a pattern. (my husband would never go for Evangeline because of the movie Angelheart, lol).

Its a family name for me too...my maternal grandmother was Carola, my aunt was Carolina (caroleena, not like the state). 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I think names are a crap shoot. One person will hate their name because it's so extremely common. Another will hate their name because it's so rare. And another will hate their name because it rhymes with an unattractive word. My kids may hate their names. Oh well I tried.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 7

16 hours ago, feministxtian said:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate that name...with a passion (because it's on my birth certificate and I have always hated it). Good grief, there are millions of better names...find one pronto. That kid will go through life with everyone and their brother calling her CaroLYN. It's a horrible name. 

I feel this deep in my soul.  I am a Caroline, and while I don't hate my own name as much as I did when I was much younger, I am almost always called "Carolyn" or "Carolina" to the point that I stopped bothering to correct people long, long ago.  Also there aren't a lot of good nicknames (I loathe "Carrie"). 

And people will never not think they're cute and clever when they hear my name and start singing Sweet Caroline.  I hate that song. 

Edited by dramallama
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

Its a family name for me too...my maternal grandmother was Carola, my aunt was Carolina (caroleena, not like the state). 

In our family it's all Caroline, paired with a specific middle name that makes it seem a bit pretentious. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, dramallama said:

And people will never not think they're cute and clever when they hear my name and start singing Sweet Caroline.  I hate that song. 

SOOOO glad I'm not alone with that. I want to bitch-slap Neil Diamond for writing it. I find it amazing that people can screw up our name...dammit...it's pronounced as it's written. Yeah, nicknames for us suck too. My parents called me Carolina since that's what I was supposed to be named...but my father nixed that one here in the USA. 

• Upvote 1

Caroline is OK to me, I don’t know many. I can see why you hate it though.

My name is OK (Claudia). It’s fairly unusual. It’s not got a great meaning, though (“the lame one”). It’s after the Roman emperor Claudius, who had a limp and was rather ostracised as a result. (Sources differ on his personality, as well as what caused the limp). So, the only way I could live up to my name is to break my leg... I’m not exactly going to rush out and do so...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

My name is an Americanized version of my grandmother's name. So Alexa instead of day Alexia and so on. It was a mouthful as little kid paired with a clearly this ethnicity last name. I like it now but hate the nicknames - they sound very young and immature. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

Honestly I can't snark on this. I don't know Meredith personally but we have mutual acquaintances and I think I'd like her if I knew her. I get the feeling she's always wanted a large family and they seem very happy. Her kids look sweet and decently cared for. I do wonder what her husband will end up doing.

I feel the same way for the most part, but that also may be because we can't read her old blog. Oh how I miss it. She was one of my first pet fundies when I was on a break from college. We are similar in age and beliefs but man, I don't think I could have ever lived her life before her marriage. Her parents worked her hard and she, for a time, really was the home school teacher for some subjects (I can't remember if it was all subjects or not. I remember she posted the Bible memory stuff she made up and it was extensive!)

• Upvote 5

18 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Uh oh!  Whoops!  I might have accidentally  written a post about how great it is to have a name connected with such a cute song like Sweet Caroline, but I'm, uh, deleting it because uh, I didn't mean a word of it! 

And because I wrote it before I read your post about wanting to bitch slap Neil Diamond for writing it.

Edited by kpmom
Don't want @feministxtian to bitch slap me!
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 8

I rather like all the names you people hate, although Wanda makes me think of fish!  @Koala didn't give her hated name so I am torn between guessing Bambi or Heather. 

2 hours ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

I don't think this thread is snarking so much as reporting.  Meredith has always come over as very sweet, bright, and energetic if under-educated.  She obviously loves and cares for the children and has always wanted as many as God gives her.  I expect she is as happy as a clam.  At the moment.

On the other hand, she now has 5 children 6 and under with no apparent end in sight, plans to homeschool them all, and has a very ambitious overachieving husband.  She may be superwoman and up to the task of caring for all those kids, but I feel tired just looking at her.

As Stephen did not grow up Fundie, I hope that if he will now slow the heck down on procreation for both Meredith's and the children's sake.  I also hope that he doesn't get bored with little wifey, and has a massive life insurance policy in place.   I'd hate to think of her being left a divorcee or widow with all those kids.

7 minutes ago, meowfundiecatz said:

Her parents worked her hard and she, for a time, really was the home school teacher for some subjects (I can't remember if it was all subjects or not. I remember she posted the Bible memory stuff she made up and it was extensive!)

Seriously.  Meredith seemed to do everything!  Mind you, she also oversaw young teenage Oliver's impassioned Biblical defense of slavery.  His blog was called Refiner's Fire, IIRC. They took the post down pretty fast but it was nasty. 

And my own theory is that Stephen wants to end up on the Supreme Court.  :)

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Ahhhhh, I love the name Caroline/Carolina.  Its one of my favorites.  If I ever had a daughter, it would be a contender! Its  so classic and elegant.  

• Upvote 3

I like my name. I’ve always used a shortened form, though I’m pretty used to my full name because I’m in hospital such a lot, and they tend to go by the name on my records. As a child, I couldn’t say my full name, so I was known by a baby version of my name until I was about 11 (I did, and still do like the baby version), but I switched to a more grown up (and common) abbreviation when I went to secondary school after being home schooled. This may date me, but there were four of us in my class (of 28) with the same, or very similar, names so we all chose a different version. Two kept the full name and two of us shortened it in different ways. It was deemed, in the late 90s, to be a ‘naughty’ name, but I think they might have been wrong about that!

My maiden name is extremely common in the UK - like Smith or Jones or Davies, and it shared a first letter with my first name, which I liked. Husbean also has the same first letter for first name and surname. I was sad to give up my alliteration, but I like my ‘new’ surname. I have to spell it out for people, but it’s easy to get email addresses and things because it’s so uncommon, and people can easily find me on Facebook. Together, Husbean and I have initials like ABABA, which I kind of like. It makes up for the loss of the alliteration. 

• Upvote 4

My name is Carmelita, I have always gone by Carm. As I have gotten older and out of a small town where people just called me Carm, I realized that people have strong opinions on my name. Mostly that I should go by my full name and not a nickname. "It's beautiful and interesting. I would just us it!" Thanks, I didn't need or ask for your opinion. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 5

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I like my name but I hate seeing it in print. It gives me a similar feeling to listening to a recording of yourself speaking.

You explained that perfectly!  That’s how I feel about my name. I’ve always hated it but it has nothing to do with the actual names, I don’t think. It’s just that it’s my name. Make sense?  My daughter-in-law shares my first name and I don’t get the heebie-jeebies at all when it applies to her. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, meowfundiecatz said:

I feel the same way for the most part, but that also may be because we can't read her old blog. Oh how I miss it. She was one of my first pet fundies when I was on a break from college. We are similar in age and beliefs but man, I don't think I could have ever lived her life before her marriage. Her parents worked her hard and she, for a time, really was the home school teacher for some subjects (I can't remember if it was all subjects or not. I remember she posted the Bible memory stuff she made up and it was extensive!)

I think you miss a lot when you have so many, so close together.

Your toddler is taking her first step? You're in the next room, diapering the baby.

Your six year old is sounding out words? Oops, got to go, the three-year old is crying because he hit his head.

You'd like to sit down and read a picture book with the little ones? Sorry, gotta stop in the middle because the baby woke up from her nap and is screaming

I'm not saying she's unhappy,, I'm saying I'd be unhappy. Because although I'd still have the sweetness of having small children, I just would not be happy with so many demands on  my attention and my body.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

36 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

You explained that perfectly!  That’s how I feel about my name. I’ve always hated it but it has nothing to do with the actual names, I don’t think. It’s just that it’s my name. Make sense?  My daughter-in-law shares my first name and I don’t get the heebie-jeebies at all when it applies to her. 

Yes, I don't feel that way when I see other people with my first name. It's just a weird discomfort from seeing or hearing my own name. I'm glad I'm not alone in that!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

I actually wanted to name our daughter Caroline but Mr. VVV nixed that. So we named her a classic (think the Royals of the past but not Elizabeth) name, which she never misses an opportunity to tell me she hates. She would rather have been Caroline. **sigh** My suggestions that she either go by her middle name (one syllable Biblical) or pick one of the thirty-something nicknames connected with her given name have been shot down.

Parents can't win. My criteria for naming her were: cannot end in the "ee" sound b/c our last name does, classic traditional, not trendy, not misspelled, not super feminissima, would look good with "PhD" or "MD" after her name. Her criterion appears to be: anything other than what she was actually named.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

My name is the full version of a name that is usually abbreviated or changed to a nickname, but my grandmother nixed that and people constantly ask me if I go by such and such nickname and are surprised when I say I go by the whole thing. It makes me seem very formal. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a Mary Ann. I hated it when I was a kid because so many girls in the early 60's were named that. Or were just named Mary with a different middle name. I kind of like it now, because after our mother died I commented to my sister how much I wished Mom had gone with a less popular name and she told me that Mom actually just liked the name and had no idea how popular it was at the time. Which is totally what my mom would have done.

When we had our daughter, we knew as soon as we found out we were having a girl what we were going to name her. We named her after a special aunt of mine (first name) and her middle name is my mother in law's maiden name in memory of my husband's grandfather.  We thought we'd used two names that would not be very common, and her first name is a "classic" name.  Guess what are two of the most popular names for girls born in the early 90's?

Parents just can't win! Fortunately, she likes her name. But there were quite a few girls with the same names in school with her.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

My name is Carmelita, I have always gone by Carm. As I have gotten older and out of a small town where people just called me Carm, I realized that people have strong opinions on my name. Mostly that I should go by my full name and not a nickname. "It's beautiful and interesting. I would just us it!" Thanks, I didn't need or ask for your opinion. 

and it's *your* name, so you are the only one who gets to decide how to use it.  

that's exactly why i hate when people shorten my name.  i find it offensive when people try to negate my preference as if my opinion doesn't matter; it's not their place to tell me how to identify myself.  an acquaintance once kept trying to call me by the short version, so i finally said, "my name has only four letters; it's not hard to say all of them."  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I forget when Stephen started Law School. Is he in 2L or 3L now? Come to think of it, he must be in 3L since I have a friend in 3L at Harvard and I'm fairly sure they're not in the same cohort. Must be getting crowded in their home. I think we determined last summer (when they were subletting) that they are in a three-bedroom* grad student unit, right? Husband and I are living in grad student family housing (albeit in a 2br) and I am getting claustrophbic just thinking about five kids in here.

*Or was it a two-bedroom? I can't remember. I just know that they were using one bedroom to store their belongings during the summer.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Hisey said:

I think you miss a lot when you have so many, so close together.

Your toddler is taking her first step? You're in the next room, diapering the baby.

Your six year old is sounding out words? Oops, got to go, the three-year old is crying because he hit his head.

You'd like to sit down and read a picture book with the little ones? Sorry, gotta stop in the middle because the baby woke up from her nap and is screaming

I'm not saying she's unhappy,, I'm saying I'd be unhappy. Because although I'd still have the sweetness of having small children, I just would not be happy with so many demands on  my attention and my body.

I think there will always be moments like that when there is more than one child though.  I don’t have that many children and have fairly large gaps and at least once a day I have a for-the-love-of-all-that-is-holy-one-at-a-freaking-time!!!! moment. But I’m happy. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2