IGNORED

Meredith Hammer Pregnant and Had Her Fifth

Hisey

Cambridge is very family-friendly, Somerville (next city over) even more so. The problem for the Hammers is that Cambridge is incredibly diverse and I just don’t see Meredith being comfortable in a playgroup where it’s not uncommon for you to be asked your pronoun. She probably won’t allow her kids to be around GLBT people or people wearing hijabs either. Elementary school communities tend to be close and she won’t have that. I know some homeschoolers in Cambridge and they tend towards unschooling. She’d have a much better time living on the north shore, where conservative Christians are more common, and there are numerous conservative Christian churches. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

From her public FB, when Stephen was accepted into Harvard Law:

I'm so proud of Stephen for being featured in Harvard Law Today as one of the veterans at the law school! Unfortunately, they dropped my very favorite paragraph after the final edit: 

"After enlisting with Army ROTC at Princeton, Hammer made a second life-changing decision: to devote himself to Jesus Christ. 'I started thinking a lot more about the condition of my soul and what it would mean to die,' says Hammer, who was baptized at a local Presbyterian church. 'It led me to realize I couldn’t pay the price for my own sins, that only Jesus could do that, and I became a Christian.'"

Even so, I admire his desire to glorify God in his interview, and am pleased that they did leave in his quotes on trusting the Lord during deployments!

http://today.law.harvard.edu/growing-from-all-branches-a-look-at-this-years-service-members/

This reminds me of my sister’s neighbor, a Utah Mormon transplant to a fairly conservative small Connecticut town. He ran for local government, and a big part of his campaign bio was about all the missionary work he’d done, including door-to-door missioning here in the US. I knew it would go over like a lead balloon in a town full of closed-mouthed, old-fashioned Connecticut Yankees. He lost, big time.

At least the Mormon guy was sincere. Stephen Hammer is a Christian the way I’m a fireplug.

Edited by Hane
Additions.
  • Upvote 9

22 hours ago, Hisey said:

dies, she is an intelligent woman who had so much promise. She was becoming skilled at real estate, and could've been a realtor. She has a remarkable talent for baking and sewing. Nothing wrong with becoming a mom (I am one, myself) but becoming one in that situation sounds miserable.

Edited 21 hours ago by Hisey

I hope Mere is doing well, 5 kids under 6 seems like so much work especially when a spouse who likley does nothing to help. I wonder if she was busy baking cheesecakes at Avery Farms so she could enlist her mother and Sheridan to help with childcare

Edited by lilah
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Meredith's family's farm may go out of business. There is a new bill in the Virginia that seeks to regulate farms that sell cow shares. This is to prevent the spread of TB and other illness due to raw milk that becomes contaminated by bacteria. I think this happens if the farm is not that clean, or not careful enough about its milk handling.

Meredith's dad is up in arms about this, as you can see from his FB page (Avery Branch Farms). It's understandable. They have worked for about 10 years to build up their farm from almost nothing. Their livelihood depends on it. They seem like they have been fairly profitable lately. Some of their boys seemed to be planning to earn their living off the farm. If the law passes, it will be a huge blow to them.

The regulations will not demand an end to their business, but it will require them to be subject to govt inspections and oversight by visiting veternarians. They also have to slap a warning label on their milk and the state wants to keep track of who buys it. The Alexanders' warn that your "personal information" will be gathered by the state--name, address and (gasp!) phone number. Of course, my state has all that information anyway. All in all, they say the added costs will be prohibitive. 

I am not a fan of raw milk and think it's especially dangerous to vulnerable populations. It's also just plain against the law, and I think cow shares simply skirt the law in a very unChristian-like way. They are supposed to respect their authorities all the time, not just when it's convenient.

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 7

How the heck do you share a cow? One family gets it one week another the next? Or do they kill the cow and you share the meat?

6 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

How the heck do you share a cow? One family gets it one week another the next? Or do they kill the cow and you share the meat?

If I understand it correctly, people pay a certain amount of money, and in return get a percentage of the cow's raw, unpasteurized milk. I'll see if I can find an article about it.

ETA--Here's a Wikipedia article about herdshares. (Milk and/or meat.) And here's an explanation of how it works from the website of an actual farm that sells shares.

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
ETA
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

46 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

If I understand it correctly, people pay a certain amount of money, and in return get a percentage of the cow's raw, unpasteurized milk. I'll see if I can find an article about it.

ETA--Here's a Wikipedia article about herdshares. (Milk and/or meat.) And here's an explanation of how it works from the website of an actual farm that sells shares.

It looks like a coop?

2 minutes ago, Rosalie said:

It looks like a coop?

I just know what I found on google, but I suppose co-op would be another way of describing it.

If Meredith's in Boston with her husband and their four kids, how the heck was she able to make "farm-fresh cakes" in Virginia for the recent holiday season?

Avery's Branch Farms added 2 new photos.

November 28, 2017 · 

Coming soon! Once again this holiday season, our oldest daughter, Meredith, will be offering an assortment of homemade, farm-fresh cakes for your holiday parties! Delivery will be available to our many convenient drop sites beginning December 1!

• Upvote 2

Apparently the sponsor of the bill is Barry Knight, a Republican. Wonder how he likes them apples...

• Upvote 2

On 1/30/2018 at 11:58 AM, anachronistic said:

I live where raw milk is technically legal but there are only 2 farms in the state that are allowed to sell it.  I have been a part of 2 herd or cow shares.  Legally you own part of the cow and the monthly fee is supposed to cover their maintenance.  The first one I got some percentage of the milk every week.   With the second one i just paid for however much milk I wanted and I guess that was maintenance fees.  The 2nd bought all the cows from the first one and is run by a very conservative Christian homeschooling family with lots of kids including adopted children (I always felt a bit sorry for the younger kids because I go to the sense that the parents were very very strict and although I had no issues with him I heard from others that the dad was was quite rude).  They fancy themselves homesteaders and also raise beef cattle, pigs, chickens (for meat and eggs) and grow fruits and veggies.  Everything was very clean and they even had a large refrigerator room that blows cold air so the milk cools really fast.   I liked it because the cows only grazed on pasture and received no grain except for a tiny bit during milking.  They were all Jersey cows too which produce a different milk than Holsteins and the milk is creamier.  There is another herd share that I know of in the area that is goat milk.

all this to say I don’t buy much milk anymore and if I do I just go to the store and buy the commercially available raw milk.  I can not tolerate pasteurized dairy but have no problem with raw and used it to make daily smoothies.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

Her facebook shows a picture of her large clan surrounding Meredith and her latest baby. That makes four girls, one boy. She had "precious Eleanor Ivy" just 15 months ago.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Hisey said:

Her facebook shows a picture of her large clan surrounding Meredith and her latest baby. That makes four girls, one boy. She had "precious Eleanor Ivy" just 15 months ago.

Her spacing seems to be getting closer and closer. 

They were planning on calling the newest baby Caroline. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They were planning on calling the newest baby Caroline. 

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate that name...with a passion (because it's on my birth certificate and I have always hated it). Good grief, there are millions of better names...find one pronto. That kid will go through life with everyone and their brother calling her CaroLYN. It's a horrible name. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, feministxtian said:

@hoipolloi I'll give you Heistheway...but damn...still...millions of names and they had to use that one? It sucks. 

I am just glad to see someone else who hates their name with the same passion that I hate my own. :pb_lol: I was beginning to think I was nuts.

My name is a bit too trendy for my taste and personality.  I wish to god my mother had gone with a classic name.  (Why couldn't she have used with Elizabeth, or something like that!?!)  Mine dates me, and I despise it.

I do have a classic middle name, but by the time I realized how very much I hated my first name, it felt too late to change.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Glad to hear I am not the only one who hates their name, although I don't mind Caroline to be honest.  My birth name is similar to Wanda, WANDA?!  Had I been a boy my Dad wanted to name me Bruno, BRUNO?!  My Dad is Polish of small stature (me too) born during the depression and he wanted to name me Bruno?  Well I guess Wanda is better than Bruno.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

@pook, my husband's grandfather was named Bruno. My husband really wanted to name first son that. My first thought was "blech!" We ended up using it as a second middle name, so it's not likely to get used. Bruno has grown on me, though, over the years. 

Interestingly enough, my husband's grandfather hated his name. He, too, was Polish, but apparently his mother only named him after a German neighbor suggested it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

can i join the i-hate-my-own-name club?  my name is common in my age bracket, can't really be shortened (except by dropping the last letter; i hate the shorter result even more and refuse to let anyone call me that), and i just never liked it.  if i could have named myself, it never would have been considered.  i was past thirty before i got used to it and came to (grudging) terms with it.  

@pook, i have a confession--i like Wanda.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

@catlady No worries :) like I said, I like Caroline.

My Mom had actually picked out the name Caroleigh (sp?) for me but when I was born my Grandma suggested Wanda.

• Upvote 2

I’ve always hated my middle name. Fortunately, when I legally changed back to my maiden name, I was able to choose a new middle name at the same time.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Caroline always makes me think of Caroline Ingalls, because i've never known one in real life.  i know several Carolyns, though.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Just my two cents.  I didn't particularly like Caroline, but I've known a few Carolinas and that has softened my opinion.  There are much worse names.  

I really like my name.  It's unusual but not unknown, easy to pronounce and short.  The only thing is that there is an alternate spelling that for some reason everyone wants to use even though mine is the more common.  My name is also one letter off from another uncommon but well known name.  So, despite the fact that I shouldn't have to, I always spell it out. 

• Upvote 2

I got Elizabeth tacked on for a middle name and my maiden name was 11 letters and ethnic. Who in their right minds gives a kid a name that long? My drivers license uses 2 lines for my name even now. Just call me 53 years of PISSED over my name

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1